This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Pink Castle

I first went to WDW sometime around 1990 (could have been 1991). I vaguely remember the castle being decorated pink. I know it was decorated like a cake for the 25th. Does anyone remember an earlier pink scheme? Any pictures would be greatly appreciated...if only to confirm I'm not going nuts ;-)

Re: Pink Castle

Originally posted by AussieMouse View Post
    I first went to WDW sometime around 1990 (could have been 1991). I vaguely remember the castle being decorated pink. I know it was decorated like a cake for the 25th. Does anyone remember an earlier pink scheme? Any pictures would be greatly appreciated...if only to confirm I'm not going nuts ;-)
    I'd google something like "disney world 25th anniversary cake castle images". You'll see more than you wanted; for some that will occur at the first photo.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

sigpic

You've read it; you can't unread it!

Comment

No offense but, many of us do not want to re-visit that unfortunate castle overlay. It was simply hideous.

Comment

ORDDU: The castle was not pink in 1990 or 1991. My sisters and I visited WDW during those years and the castle was its normal self. However, in the late 90's it was turned into a pink cake and looked just horrible. We have Michael Eisner and the marketing people to thank for such a disgrace.

Comment

You are correct Witches. It was October 1996 to be exact.

Comment

Originally posted by ralfrick View Post
            I'd google something like "disney world 25th anniversary cake castle images". You'll see more than you wanted; for some that will occur at the first photo.

A bientot.
            Googling "WDW Castle Ckae" will not only get you pictures of the Pink Castle, but also some pictures of some awesome castle cakes. Now I miss WDW and want cake.

I understand why people hate this and I certainly would be mad if the castle was this way for a once in a lifetime trip or a wedding. But I don't hate it outright. The idea is creative (if tacky) and it looks like this was not done on the cheap. I never got to see this in person. For those that did, was it at least executed well?

Comment

the front IMO was done well when you got really close to it via the back or the bridge the pink looked less pink and more like Pepto bismol, but I can't say that I HATED the scheme like I HATED the wand and HATE the Hat..
              The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
              -George S. Patton

Comment

I saw it in person and have to say that it was executed OK.. but they just went a bit overboard with it. As many of you know, they were trying to emulate the castle cake they did for DLP's 1st anniversary castle, which was a better looking overlay. But at the MK, the colors were too bright and the balloon attachments were to say the least... a bit bulky. Made the castle look bloated and just over the top. It caused indigestion just to look at it!! Even Eisner, who apologized (in jest) about the castle during the 25th anniversary ceremony, got his due since not 30 minutes after his speech, a thunderstorm with heavy rain moved across the MK and got everyone in attendance, including first lady Hillary Clinton who was guest of honor, all wet. It was like Roy Disney was crying hard in heaven over this travesty.

Comment

DLP cake photo here.

Can't say I love this one either.

Comment

Originally posted by flotsam_mike View Post
                    DLP cake photo here.

^
                    from that photo it looks better than the WDW version
                    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
                    -George S. Patton

Comment

Originally posted by ORD84 View Post
                      ^
                      from that photo it looks better than the WDW version
                      ^ Perhaps, but I have never been a fan of cake with fruit on it.

Comment

It's like you've been transported into Candyland...

Comment

Originally posted by flotsam_mike View Post
                          DLP cake photo here.

Don't forget the Castle of Fools for the 5th.. now that was.. um... "interesting".

Mickey Mouse rides atop birthday cake float during 5th Anniversary • Gallery • Euro Souvenirland - Disneyland Paris history, memories and memorabilia
                          sigpic

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
                          Walt Disney

Comment

Oh I just couldn't help myself. LOL

These photos were taken in 1997:

The backside

Comment

My very first Disney vacation was taken back in 1997 and we went to Disney World. My grandson teased me for a long time that he didn't wish to go back to Disney World. When I asked him his reason, he would reply with a straight face, "because the castle is no longer a cake".

Last edited by Barbaraann; 09-08-2010, 01:33 PM.
                              BarbaraAnn

Comment

Originally posted by Hathaway Browne View Post

glad they haven't tried anything like that here(meaning the the castle of fools) at WDW...that looks waaaay too over the top to be tasteful, even the birthday cake overlay looks tastefully done compared to the castle of fools..

wow just wow..
                                -George S. Patton

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                                  No offense but, many of us do not want to re-visit that unfortunate castle overlay. It was simply hideous.
                                  After being curious and doing the search and looking at the DLP pic someone linked, I can see why.

YIKES I don't know which one is worse....but I know they make me feel sick to my stomach just looking at it! I can imagine what it was like in person...
                                  Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

Comment

Originally posted by Joshrzmeup View Post
                                    After being curious and doing the search and looking at the DLP pic someone linked, I can see why.

YIKES I don't know which one is worse....but I know they make me feel sick to my stomach just looking at it! I can imagine what it was like in person...
                                    Honestly, for me, it wasn't as bad as people say. It wasn't good but my day wasn't ruined because someone poured Pepto Bismol on the castle. That also happened to be the year I was picked to be in the show, so it holds a special memory for me.

Comment

I never understood why they didn't decorate the back.

Oh yes, money.

The pink castle cake holds a special memory for me. It was the first castle that I ever saw. If it had come along a little bit later, I'd probably have a lot of photos of it. That was back before photo pass, and digital cameras. Well I didn't own one of those until 2005.
                                      BarbaraAnn

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                                        Yes. THIS.

OMG! EVIL PEPTO BISMOL CASTLE CAKE OF DOOM!!!

*runs away screaming*

MY EYES! MY EYES!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X