X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pink Castle

I remember visiting WDW that year!

However, I was 11 years old at the time...so it didn't really bother me.

Comment

Originally posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
      WHOA. Okay, then?

Didn't the 5th Anniversary kind of have a Hunchback/Topsy Turvy Day theme? Like, there was a parade with that music? Jeeze... That castle.

I like when they decorate the castle. Makes it seem like a real special occasion to me. When we first went to WDW in 2005, the 50th Anniversary decorations had just been put up. I remember shopping on our first night there in the Grand Floridian and all the cast members were saying, "Did you hear they decorated the castle?" It was fun spotting all the Disney characters on the castle. And the big mirror kept changing to the different castles worldwide. Really beautiful.
      -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Comment

For what it's worth I saw the dreaded "Castle Cake" in person in 1997.

I think the photographs actually make it look better than it was in person.

When you stood in front of the castle and looked up at the misguided eyesore you could easily see all the cheap inflatable elements (of which there were many) sorta shimmying and wrinkling in the breeze.

I wonder what the total cost (design, fabrication, installation, removal and whatever else) of this overlay was? I don't know, but I'd guess maybe 5 million at least. Whatever the cost I wish the money could have been used better, like plusing an attraction or something.
        Last edited by Michigan Guy; 09-09-2010, 01:58 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

ORWEN: The castles are so beautiful in their natural state that us cauldron girls always dread it whenever someone decides to ruin them with gaudy decorations that degrade them. For some reason, those in charge have no taste when they decide to destroy the beauty of such gorgeous structures. It makes a coven of witches want to take all those bad decision makers and force them go wear equally gaudy outfits in public for as long as it takes them to learn a valuable lesson. DON'T MESS WITH PERFECTION!!!

Comment

I agree that the castle looks gawdy, up close, when they decorate. That's even true at Christmas. Of course when it is lit up, then it can look quite fantastic.

I remember when I first saw Cinderella Castle decorated for the 50th Anniversary/Birthday of Disneyland. In pictures, I liked it. In person, I didn't.
            BarbaraAnn

Comment

I'm also a member of the Pepto Bismol Castle Survivor's Club. I was young(ish) when they decorated the castle that way, but even at that age I found the whole thing kinda unsettling. I was even excited to see it before the trip, having read all the Disney hype about the overlay, but then I saw it in person and suddenly needed a lot of Pepto.
              "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

Comment

I enjoyed the 50th anniversary of Disney Parks layover for the MK's Castle. Though I could have done without the oversized "mirror" on the front center, overall I liked it.

Comment

I agree with the Witches.. I have to say that maintenance also plays a part. DLP has the most beautiful Castle (and now the only unique design) but their maintenance there has been awful, with mildew stains all over that beautiful icon.

Currently... the nicest castles in the land are TDL's, DL's and HKDL's. They are the best maintained and cosmetically classic... and some even do tricks, like HKDL's musical castle interludes every 15 minutes at night.

Comment

Originally posted by wumbology View Post

I like when they decorate the castle. Makes it seem like a real special occasion to me. When we first went to WDW in 2005, the 50th Anniversary decorations had just been put up. I remember shopping on our first night there in the Grand Floridian and all the cast members were saying, "Did you hear they decorated the castle?" It was fun spotting all the Disney characters on the castle. And the big mirror kept changing to the different castles worldwide. Really beautiful.
                    I actually liked the 2005 decorations - It seemed as though they learned their lesson from the "birthday cake" episode in the 90's. What I thought was nice is that they didn't detract from actual castle. The problem with decorating the castle is that it is probably the most photographed feature in the whole resort. If you visit every year, and one year the castle looks like something out of Candyland, as someone suggested earlier, it's not that big of a deal. However, if that particular year was that once-in-a-lifetime family vacation to WDW, I'd be pretty pissed. I can imagine that a lot of people were horribly disappointed....and vocal. I thought the cake looked kind of fun to be honest - but they could have made it look like a cake without completely destroying the beauty of the original building - that was just waaaay over the top - even for Disney.

Comment

I have a picture of the Birthday Castle of me standing in front of it up in my hallway. So I can always remember :lol:
                      Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X