X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mouse princess
    replied
    Re: Pink Castle

I have a picture of the Birthday Castle of me standing in front of it up in my hallway. So I can always remember :lol:

Leave a comment:

• celticdar
    replied

Originally posted by wumbology View Post

I like when they decorate the castle. Makes it seem like a real special occasion to me. When we first went to WDW in 2005, the 50th Anniversary decorations had just been put up. I remember shopping on our first night there in the Grand Floridian and all the cast members were saying, "Did you hear they decorated the castle?" It was fun spotting all the Disney characters on the castle. And the big mirror kept changing to the different castles worldwide. Really beautiful.
    I actually liked the 2005 decorations - It seemed as though they learned their lesson from the "birthday cake" episode in the 90's. What I thought was nice is that they didn't detract from actual castle. The problem with decorating the castle is that it is probably the most photographed feature in the whole resort. If you visit every year, and one year the castle looks like something out of Candyland, as someone suggested earlier, it's not that big of a deal. However, if that particular year was that once-in-a-lifetime family vacation to WDW, I'd be pretty pissed. I can imagine that a lot of people were horribly disappointed....and vocal. I thought the cake looked kind of fun to be honest - but they could have made it look like a cake without completely destroying the beauty of the original building - that was just waaaay over the top - even for Disney.

Leave a comment:

• TDLFAN
    replied

I agree with the Witches.. I have to say that maintenance also plays a part. DLP has the most beautiful Castle (and now the only unique design) but their maintenance there has been awful, with mildew stains all over that beautiful icon.

Currently... the nicest castles in the land are TDL's, DL's and HKDL's. They are the best maintained and cosmetically classic... and some even do tricks, like HKDL's musical castle interludes every 15 minutes at night.

Leave a comment:

• Kidgenie
    replied

I enjoyed the 50th anniversary of Disney Parks layover for the MK's Castle. Though I could have done without the oversized "mirror" on the front center, overall I liked it.

Leave a comment:

• Disney Romantic
    replied

I'm also a member of the Pepto Bismol Castle Survivor's Club. I was young(ish) when they decorated the castle that way, but even at that age I found the whole thing kinda unsettling. I was even excited to see it before the trip, having read all the Disney hype about the overlay, but then I saw it in person and suddenly needed a lot of Pepto.

Leave a comment:

• Barbaraann
    replied

I agree that the castle looks gawdy, up close, when they decorate. That's even true at Christmas. Of course when it is lit up, then it can look quite fantastic.

I remember when I first saw Cinderella Castle decorated for the 50th Anniversary/Birthday of Disneyland. In pictures, I liked it. In person, I didn't.

Leave a comment:

• Witches of Morva
    replied

ORWEN: The castles are so beautiful in their natural state that us cauldron girls always dread it whenever someone decides to ruin them with gaudy decorations that degrade them. For some reason, those in charge have no taste when they decide to destroy the beauty of such gorgeous structures. It makes a coven of witches want to take all those bad decision makers and force them go wear equally gaudy outfits in public for as long as it takes them to learn a valuable lesson. DON'T MESS WITH PERFECTION!!!

Leave a comment:

• Michigan Guy
    replied

For what it's worth I saw the dreaded "Castle Cake" in person in 1997.

I think the photographs actually make it look better than it was in person.

When you stood in front of the castle and looked up at the misguided eyesore you could easily see all the cheap inflatable elements (of which there were many) sorta shimmying and wrinkling in the breeze.

I wonder what the total cost (design, fabrication, installation, removal and whatever else) of this overlay was? I don't know, but I'd guess maybe 5 million at least. Whatever the cost I wish the money could have been used better, like plusing an attraction or something.
    Last edited by Michigan Guy; 09-09-2010, 01:58 PM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• wumbology
    replied

Originally posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    WHOA. Okay, then?

Didn't the 5th Anniversary kind of have a Hunchback/Topsy Turvy Day theme? Like, there was a parade with that music? Jeeze... That castle.

I like when they decorate the castle. Makes it seem like a real special occasion to me. When we first went to WDW in 2005, the 50th Anniversary decorations had just been put up. I remember shopping on our first night there in the Grand Floridian and all the cast members were saying, "Did you hear they decorated the castle?" It was fun spotting all the Disney characters on the castle. And the big mirror kept changing to the different castles worldwide. Really beautiful.

Leave a comment:

• Patticakes128
    replied

I remember visiting WDW that year!

However, I was 11 years old at the time...so it didn't really bother me.

Leave a comment:

• aimster
    replied

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
    No offense but, many of us do not want to re-visit that unfortunate castle overlay. It was simply hideous.
    Yes. THIS.

OMG! EVIL PEPTO BISMOL CASTLE CAKE OF DOOM!!!

*runs away screaming*

MY EYES! MY EYES!

Leave a comment:

• Barbaraann
    replied

I never understood why they didn't decorate the back.

Oh yes, money.

The pink castle cake holds a special memory for me. It was the first castle that I ever saw. If it had come along a little bit later, I'd probably have a lot of photos of it. That was back before photo pass, and digital cameras. Well I didn't own one of those until 2005.

Leave a comment:

• SummerInFL
    replied

Originally posted by Joshrzmeup View Post
    After being curious and doing the search and looking at the DLP pic someone linked, I can see why.

YIKES I don't know which one is worse....but I know they make me feel sick to my stomach just looking at it! I can imagine what it was like in person...
    Honestly, for me, it wasn't as bad as people say. It wasn't good but my day wasn't ruined because someone poured Pepto Bismol on the castle. That also happened to be the year I was picked to be in the show, so it holds a special memory for me.

Leave a comment:

• Joshrzmeup
    replied

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
    No offense but, many of us do not want to re-visit that unfortunate castle overlay. It was simply hideous.
    After being curious and doing the search and looking at the DLP pic someone linked, I can see why.

YIKES I don't know which one is worse....but I know they make me feel sick to my stomach just looking at it! I can imagine what it was like in person...

Leave a comment:

• ORD84
    replied

Originally posted by Hathaway Browne View Post

glad they haven't tried anything like that here(meaning the the castle of fools) at WDW...that looks waaaay too over the top to be tasteful, even the birthday cake overlay looks tastefully done compared to the castle of fools..

wow just wow..

Leave a comment:

• Barbaraann
    replied

My very first Disney vacation was taken back in 1997 and we went to Disney World. My grandson teased me for a long time that he didn't wish to go back to Disney World. When I asked him his reason, he would reply with a straight face, "because the castle is no longer a cake".

Last edited by Barbaraann; 09-08-2010, 01:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SummerInFL
    replied

Oh I just couldn't help myself. LOL

These photos were taken in 1997:

The backside

Leave a comment:

• Hathaway Browne
    replied

Originally posted by flotsam_mike View Post
    DLP cake photo here.

Can't say I love this one either.
    Don't forget the Castle of Fools for the 5th.. now that was.. um... "interesting".

Mickey Mouse rides atop birthday cake float during 5th Anniversary • Gallery • Euro Souvenirland - Disneyland Paris history, memories and memorabilia

Leave a comment:

• inluvwithbeast
    replied

It's like you've been transported into Candyland...

Leave a comment:

• flotsam_mike
    replied

Originally posted by ORD84 View Post
    ^
    from that photo it looks better than the WDW version
    ^ Perhaps, but I have never been a fan of cake with fruit on it.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X