This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Best way to tackle litter at WDW

What is the best way to take care of litter at the theme parks of WDW?
    Eliminate ODV carts. Replace with sit down eateries where garbage can be in a controlled space.
    12.24%
    Kick people out who are caught littering and tear up their admission media...no refunds.
    14.29%
    Add a $2.00 deposit on all soda cups.
    2.04%
    Have robotic sweepers roam all the parks.
    2.04%
    Empty a trash can now and again, so those who are trying to throw away their trash can do so.
    24.49%
    Edible cups and plates?
    4.08%
    A contest..have garbage cans with barcode readers and periodic prizes!
    6.12%
    A contest for the sweepers. For every ton collected, they get one extra day paid vacation.
    12.24%
    Require all upper managers to spend 8 hours a week sweeping up in the park.
    14.29%
    Goats, lots and lots of goats!
    8.16%

The poll is expired.

Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Re: Best way to tackle litter at WDW

I figure WDW can do what OLC does at TDR and hire a batallion of CMs in custodial to effectively tacke the problems.. or, like I have suggested before, they need to start a 'Keep the Kingdom clean" campaign to encourage guests to be more responisble for their rubbish. Or ban euro tourists since they never seem to clean after themselves... just look at the poor conditions of the DLP park.

But I am curious.. what motivates you to ask this question? Do you feel the WDW are not all that tidy and clean?

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post

But I am curious.. what motivates you to ask this question? Do you feel the WDW are not all that tidy and clean?
      Nothing terrible, but it does seem to be slipping a little....or maybe I just have a more critical eye then days gone by.

Comment

The problem is most severe in areas where only guests idle.. like lines.. out of the way areas/etc.

The problem is they need to sent more CMs through areas that normally only guests occupy.

That means don't design areas where only a single file line can get through where people will be stuck for 30mins. You need access space for CMs.

Or... how about more automatic trash systems when they build new spaces. (this would have been the more Disney/EPCOT way of solving the problem)
        Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
        Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
        Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

I am all for prizes! especially if they choose to recycle!
          BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

The short answer would be, deal with it yourself*.

The long answers is just like the short answer, but with more waffle.

*this could be as simple as binning the litter yourself, pointing it out to a CM, or reporting a lot of litter at City Hall.

Comment

The simplest solution is often the best...encourage people to help keep the kingdom clean, or hire more CMs to control the trash problem

edit: or go back to training everyone that park hygiene is EVERYONE'S responsibility...used to be if you were a CM and on/off duty and you walked pass a piece of trash and didn't pick it up you were in deep you know what
              Last edited by ORD84; 09-13-2010, 11:55 AM.
              The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
              -George S. Patton

Comment

goats. That would work
                Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

Talking trash cans!

Wait a minute...

Comment

Why not make contests where guests receive a day of free admission or 10 fast passes if they collect a small bag of garbage?

Comment

Originally posted by Magic Lamp View Post
                      Why not make contests where guests receive a day of free admission or 10 fast passes if they collect a small bag of garbage?
                      If I'm on vacation, I'm not picking up someone else's trash. My own, sure, but someone else can clean up their own trash, I'm not their maid.

Comment

I didn't mean for you to pick up the trash, SummerInFL. I'm sure you clean up after yourself, but there might be a bunch of naive people who will for the free stuff.

Comment

It might be a chance to put the goats at Rafiki's Planet Watch to work. They could wear little costumes themed to the land they are working or have little sandwich board signs with wait times. The goat possibilities are endless. Tomorrowland goat anybody? (p.s. found this image, didn't make it)
                          Last edited by flotsam_mike; 09-13-2010, 02:51 PM. Reason: added ps.

Comment

:bow:

Comment

Hire more CMs. Plain and simple. At a PREMIUM destination, I should be able to throw my trash on the ground, and turn around and not see it, because someone quickly, quietly, and briskly took care of it.
                              Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

I vote for Goats.

Comment

Originally posted by KingEric View Post
                                  Hire more CMs. Plain and simple. At a PREMIUM destination, I should be able to throw my trash on the ground, and turn around and not see it, because someone quickly, quietly, and briskly took care of it.
                                  Well.. that is Tokyo's starndards, simply because when you are at the park and take a 360-degree look around you at any given time, you can count at least 4-8 custodial CMs in your line of view. THAT IS THE GOD HONEST TRUTH. And usually, anything that touches the floor, disappears within 45 seconds. I have put that to the test at TDR and the custodial cast has *NEVER* disappointed me. I also tried this at WDW one day.. left an empty cup by the curb on Main Street.. waited and waited, no one came to pick it up, even after several CMs walked passed it. Decided to leave and about an hour later...the cup I left on the curb was still sitting there.

This may be a laughing matter but it's not.. Like KingEric said.. this is supposed to be a premium vacation destination where guests pay premium prices to visit.. furthermore, this is "where dreams come true" and where reality is supposed to be left behind and life should be perfect and fantastic. Trash/litter everywhere is intrusive and kills the illusion. The managers there and the custodial CMs for the most part don't get it... and don't seem motivated to perform to their capabilities, and for some who take this job (granted for minimal pay but good benefits), it seems the physical requirements of the job are too taxiing.. maybe because they are in such bad physical shape themselves? I don't know.

Originally posted by Sleepyjeff
                                  Nothing terrible, but it does seem to be slipping a little....or maybe I just have a more critical eye then days gone by.
                                  A little...???
                                  Try "a LOT!!". I have been commenting on the custodial problems at WDW and DLP since the invention of internet Disney fansites!!! As a former WDW CM, the one thing I remember the most during our Traditions day's "mickey Mouse quiz" was this question.. > how many custodials work at WDW?<
                                  the answer: over 47,000.. because ALL CMS ARE REQUIRED TO COLLECT TRAH AND HELP KEEP THE PARK TYDY AND SHOW READY. Sadly.. many CMs now flunk that rule over and over and over again, day after day.. Very sad.

Thank God for Tokyo's standards of excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by KingEric View Post
                                    Yeah. This. Not that I would encourage littering (in fact I make a point of picking up any trash I see when I'm at the parks - it's what Walt would do, after all), but this is the standard that Disney used to be known for. IMHO this might be the "decline by degrees" that has declined the most - at least in Orlando.
                                    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
                                    -Walt Disney

sigpic

Comment

Goats?

Who is going to clean up after the goats?

Comment

Litter is a problem all over the world. Not just at theme parks. The idea that people have that other people should pick up there litter is just so foreign to me. I just do not understand this at all. Why are people slobs? Why do they think that if they can afford the price of the ticket, than someone else should pick up after them? What about individual resposnsibility? Don't people teach their children that their trash belongs in a trash can, and not on the ground?

I live in Chicago, and we have litter all over our streets, sidewalks, alleys. It's disgusting. Again people are slobs. Chicago needs more trash cans. There should be one on every street corner, and they should be emptied regularly.

When did this trash problem evolve into the dilemna that it has become. Not sure about that one. As a kid, I would walk for blocks with litter in my pocket, or even my hand, rather than throw it on the ground.

Theme parks do need to provide the guests with enough trash cans. Then the Guests need to do their part as well, by using them. The idea that it is O.K. to throw trash on the ground is ridiculous. The idea that they need more CM's to pick up trash that is lying on the ground is ridiculous. More CM's to empty the trash cans yes, but definitely not more CM's to pick up trash from guests that are just acting like slobs.
                                        BarbaraAnn

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X