X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best way to tackle litter at WDW

Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
    Theme parks do need to provide the guests with enough trash cans. Then the Guests need to do their part as well, by using them. The idea that it is O.K. to throw trash on the ground is ridiculous. The idea that they need more CM's to pick up trash that is lying on the ground is ridiculous. More CM's to empty the trash cans yes, but definitely not more CM's to pick up trash from guests that are just acting like slobs.
    I am not encouraging littering. But there SHOULD be a trash can every 12 paces in a WDW park.

HOWEVER, people are on VACATION. It is often joked that people check their brains at the gate. You are paying to ESCAPE! That being said, there should be enough staff when you are paying a premium to experience the "Disney Difference" that you NEVER see trash.

IOA has been spotless the past few weeks. I have been so floored. One time through the forbidden journey I saw trash in the Queue, kind of like a turkey leg exploded, and before I could go up to a UO team member there was already some there cleaning it up. I went back to escaping in to the Wizarding World.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

I understand people going to theme parks to escape the real world. I don't understand the concept that while doing the escaping, people are trashing the place they are escaping to.
      BarbaraAnn

Comment

Barbaraann.. lately you have been using the same line on every post that covers problems reported at WDW... "I don't understand/know how this or that...jada jada". LOL!!!

I think what is being said it's simple and you don't need to understand anything more than the facts: 1) people are pigs, and 2) WDW does not have enough staffing to maintain the illusion of being the "perfect place where Dreams Comre True". Walt himself told Lilly his DL park woould not be dirty like those carnivals he used to attend with their daughters. Sadly, the DL parks.. (with the fortunate exception of Tokyo's, and to some degree..CA and HK's) are flithy dirty.

Comment

May I also suggest a few other options they should consider for cutting back the litter...

a) Cut back on the amount of quick bev and snack spots there are. Most of the littering seems to come from the excessive use of paper products (plates, napkins, cups etc) that bev/snack kiosks and carts put out.

b) Re-institute the rules that NO FOOD/DRINKS will be allowed in the queues. There was a time when guests were not allowed to enter a queue with food/bev in hand. They had to finish it before entering any given line.. Now? since the pigs need to feed at all times.. the amount of litter in queues is out of control, and even when there are a few trash cans.. they are either overflowiing due to lack of maintenance and personnel of simplhy because when people want to get rid of trash, they put it on the floor and keep walking. Again.. a very bad call on management just because they "hate to inconvenience and upset guests". With that thought in mind, there should be a responsability to clean affter the pigs... but they don't and that's where Disney management and custodial.. FAILS the big one.

c) Entry level in Custodial shold pay much higher than if you were requesting a position in Attractions or Merchandise.. with the hope that more prospective CM's will decide to become Custodials just for the money... and Disney should know about this since every bad decision they make is all about the money... right?

Comment

Oh and... KingEric.. you need to go thru PotterDetox. Hahaha!! No really, the fact that a "disney fan" such as yourself keeps going back to ride potter so often it seems.. speaks volumes of how ordinary and trite WDW has become. You should go to Universal Japan and ride "Space Fantasy -The Ride".. you may never want to ride the MK's version of Space Mountain with that awful new music on it.

Comment

I remember a time when visiting WDW it was clean. Very clean. We used to joke that you can drop a wrapper on the floor and a CM scutters out of a secret panel on the floor and picks it up all before it even hits the ground. Now, not so much. I have definetly seen a decline in the cleanliness. WDW needs to get back there. Its a huge dissappointment. All CMs should pick up trash each and everytime they see it. Always. WDW needs to train their CMs that it their responsibilty to clean up. And if a CM is spotted walking by trash they should be reprimanded by management. Something as simple as picking up a stray cup makes a lot of difference.

People also need to have some personal responsibilty and throw out their trash. There is no excuse for dropping it on the floor. Walk to the trash can and throw it out. It always amazes me when we see trash around. How lazy are you that you could not throw it out? You will pass a garbage can no matter what direction you are heading. There are garbage cans around. Your garbage is not that heavy that you can't carry it for a few minutes. I don't want to hear that you are on vacation and don't think you should throw out your trash. Give me a break. Throw it out.

But I also see this slop trend everywhere. Not sure why people think this is acceptable today. We just got back from vacation, and when we were in Jamaica climbing Dunn's River Falls, my husband made a collection of trash that he picked up from the water (plastic bottles and such) He threw it out when we reached the top. It is sad that such a beautiful site had litter.
              Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

Originally posted by Magic Lamp View Post
                I didn't mean for you to pick up the trash, SummerInFL. I'm sure you clean up after yourself, but there might be a bunch of naive people who will for the free stuff.
                Oh nice! They can pick up all the trash and I'll be in the shorter lines riding attractions, I like it! :P

Comment

Maybe if Traditions was still 3 days, Cast Members would be properly trained on how to care for the parks.

Comment

Originally posted by KingEric View Post
                    Maybe if Traditions was still 3 days, Cast Members would be properly trained on how to care for the parks.

How long have they cut it down to? This used to be as important if not MORE important than the actual on the job training..
                    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
                    -George S. Patton

Comment

Originally posted by ORD84 View Post
                      How long have they cut it down to? This used to be as important if not MORE important than the actual on the job training..
                      4 to 8 hours depending on the role.

Comment

4 to 8 hours depending on the role.
                        From 3 days to THAT?!?!?!?! I am speechless! I am without speech!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                          From 3 days to THAT?!?!?!?! I am speechless! I am without speech!!!
                          When I went through Traditions it was 2 days. And I had old timey CM's talk about how the 3rd day used to be a full day in park, answering questions, picking up trash etc...

Now it is a video, some customer service guidelines, and you are off to your location for OJT (on the job training).

Comment

When I went through Traditions it was 2 days. And I had old timey CM's talk about how the 3rd day used to be a full day in park, answering questions, picking up trash etc...

Now it is a video, some customer service guidelines, and you are off to your location for OJT (on the job training).
                            And this, ladies and gentlemen, is where rude, bossy, uncaring, and decidedly "unDisney" CMs come from.
                            I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
                            -Walt Disney

sigpic

Comment

I believe that a 3rd party vendor goes to a 2 hour Traditions if I am correct.

Comment

How very sad and tragic. This is why WDW has lost touch with the Traditions that defined Disney World being a DISNEY resort. Sad sad sad.

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                                  I am speechless! I am without speech!!!
                                  I find this the most shocking of all

:lol:
                                  Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                  Working...