Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The "Ghetto" version of Disneyland? What?!

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] The "Ghetto" version of Disneyland? What?!

I'm confused, WHY is there this STUPID rivalry between Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom? Everyone seems to say that MK is a trashy version of Disneyland. Is this true? Its my dream to go to WDW..but hearing this makes me sad.

Oh, and people said that its smaller than DL...is this true?

Please, no hate...I have no hate for the park...I'm just wondering why people dislike it compared to Disneyland :c

Re: The "Ghetto" version of Disneyland? What?!

The Magic Kingdom is quite a bit bigger than Disneyland acreage wise, but it is smaller in the sense that it does not have as many attractions as the original park. There's no denying that Disneyland is a superior park in almost every sense, but I enjoy the Magic Kingdom very much for what it offers.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

Plus Disneyland has more of the homefield advantage.
      M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E
      sigpic
      Flickr

Comment

OKay.....I have been almost a lifelong visitor of WDW. And I recently (like, last weekend) visited DL for the first time.

While it was great walking in the footsteps of Walt, and seeing the original park....in my honest opinion.....it didn't hold a candle to WDW. I know I'll catch flack for this...but, my and my husband just didn't feel the same "magic" we feel at WDW. Sure, it might have had more rides....but, that's about all it had going for it.

It was our first visit to DL.....and while it gave me a chance to meet the great friends I've met on here....unless I'm going specifically to see those friends...I won't go out of my way to visit the park again.

I'll stick with WDW

Comment

Originally posted by Stitchy View Post
          OKay.....I have been almost a lifelong visitor of WDW. And I recently (like, last weekend) visited DL for the first time.

While it was great walking in the footsteps of Walt, and seeing the original park....in my honest opinion.....it didn't hold a candle to WDW. I know I'll catch flack for this...but, my and my husband just didn't feel the same "magic" we feel at WDW. Sure, it might have had more rides....but, that's about all it had going for it.

It was our first visit to DL.....and while it gave me a chance to meet the great friends I've met on here....unless I'm going specifically to see those friends...I won't go out of my way to visit the park again.

I'll stick with WDW
          If you are comparing just Disneyland to the entire Walt Disney World resort, then there is no contest. But on a park to park comparison between it and Magic Kingdom, the only possible plus that the Magic Kingdom has is its larger scale. Attractions, entertainment, etc, are all better at Disneyland for the most part.
          ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

The Magic Kingdom is showing its age a bit more than Disneyland. The upkeep at Disneyland seems to be superior - the park looks better than ever while the Magic Kingdom feels a bit dated.

Disneyland is the superior theme park to the Magic Kingdom in my opinion, no question. The volume of rides in particular is striking. It doesn't mean I don't enjoy both. Walt Disney World on the whole, on the other hand, offers a complete and immersive vacation experience well above and beyond what the Disneyland Resort has to offer.

The so-called rivalry has been around forever. The debate over which is the better resort will always happen.

Overall for me, they're just different. Disneyland does some things better, Walt Disney World does some things better.

Don't let the debate dissuade you from considering a visit to WDW. Is their version of Pirates of the Carribean a shadow of the original? Sure, but they still have the People Mover! Does WDW have their own version of Disney's Indiana Jones Adventure? No, but they have Expedition Everest.

Animal Kingdom and Epcot provide unique experiences that are completely different than anything in the DLR.

At WDW, you can stay in a Disney resort and be a part of the magic without breaking the bank.
            My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

I would not call the MK a "ghetto" version of the DL park at all. (That would actually be the former Nara Dreamland which was the real ghetto version of DL park)
              But while DL and the MK are pretty much comparable.. the facts are that DL park is better maintained, has more attractions, has nicer shows and better parades over the MK. Plus the DL park has something the MK park will never have: CHARM. DL park is simply more meticulously designed and has been renovated with a more critical eye for beauty, as opposed to the MK, which meets the criteria of a Disney park but really does not impress past the obvious.
              But to see the plusses and the negatives between the two park, you have to compare bits by bits.. which is better maintained/ what's the quality of show in atrractions/ better staffing.. etc etc etc. Nearly in all categories, DL park beats the MK. I could go on and on... but this of course falls on that category that allows for opinions based on each person's predilection.

So please, do yourself a favor and do visit the MK if you have never been.. and see for yourself.

If there is anything "ghetto" about WDW, that would be the economy hotels, where folks take it to themselves to ornate the hotel's already cheap look with their own laundry hanging from the railings.

Comment

Looking at the two parks from a design perspective, considering only the architectural & environmental features (i.e., discounting maintenance, upkeep, entertainment, number of attractions, menus, merchandise, etc., all of which are inferior to Disneyland), I think a very solid argument could be made that Magic Kingdom is the superior design.

Walt Disney himself (who likely had heavy influence in MK's early design work) and the WED Enterprises team that designed Magic Kingdom intended it to be a bigger, better, more spacious, and grander version of Disneyland - as can be seen in the Castle, Main Street facades, the bigger lands, the bigger, longer attractions (discounting PotC), etc.

One of the jewels of the Magic Kingdom was the Central Plaza or hub. Once, it was a shady, tree-filled, rolling park surrounded by waters that were plied by swan boats. It was a huge improvement over Disneyland's hub. It was also an under-appreciated feature, that I began to miss very sorely after it was gone. Most of the mature trees were removed from 2002-2007 and the Hub was transformed into a shade-less, burning staging area for princess shows. If new management comes to MK, maybe shade trees will be allowed grow and the Hub will revert to a park-like oasis around 2040.

Also, land-to-land transitions are brilliantly-executed in MK, better than at Disneyland. MK doesn't have many of the "bleeding" issues that Disneyland has (i.e. Treehouse in NOSQ, Mansion right outside Splash Mountain).

Magic Kingdom lands, such as Adventureland & Frontierland are more spacious than DL's. Sadly, MK management has damaged these as well, closing up many of the restaurants/shops/attractions/fountains and little hidden corners.

In short, for the reasons discounted in paragraph 1, DL is the superior park at the moment, but I believe the "bones" of MK are better (not that DL's aren't excellent). If Magic Kingdom were managed like the treasure that it was and could be, the park would outshine DL.

Just an opinion.
                http://www.idealbuildout.blogspot.com/

Comment

In response to RandySavage, thats sad :c why does Disney always have to mess something up?!

Comment

^The answer to your question is short-term leadership with short-term compensation incentives (i.e., executives are incentivised to create short-term (annual, tri-annual) returns by doing things like cost-cutting, rather than than establishing long-term value by maintaining/improving a sterling product).

There is still cause for some optimism in regard to Magic Kingdom... for example, the New Fantasyland project could very well be a huge improvement for the park, Tom Sawyer Island is still pirate-free and has an open fort with guns and escape tunnels, and fiberglass McDonalds Playland-like figures have not been added to the Treehouse.

Comment

Well.. whether the new fantasyland expansion is a major positive investment remains to be seen Randy.. as it's original design seems to be in jeopardy already and under re-consideration.. But I agree about the short term management problem. Of course, the fact that Tom Sawyer's remain McDonald's figures free is yet another example of how cheap they can be.. but in this case.. thank God for that.
                      I think it's very very sad that it took Universal's Harry Potter land for Disney to understand that they are no longer the leadership to follow.
                      Originally posted by MrHatboxGhost View Post
                      In response to RandySavage, thats sad :c why does Disney always have to mess something up?!
                      So that OLC can show them how it's really done??? Just saying.. But even if that was the case.. the US team is not learning anything from the japanese.

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                        Well.. whether the new fantasyland expansion is a major positive investment remains to be seen Randy.. as it's original design seems to be in jeopardy already and under re-consideration..
                        True, but the rumored revisions at this point seem to be a positive (replacing the central meet&greets with Seven Dwarf Mine Coaster). As always, its execution will be the key.

Of course, the fact that Tom Sawyer's remain McDonald's figures free is yet another example of how cheap they can be.. but in this case.. thank God for that.
                        Very true. Tom Sawyer Island is one of the last standing of my childhood favorites (Mr. Toad, Horizons & World of Motion being the others). I can envision some WDW exec lobbying to turn it into a Woody Meet & Greet Island but not having the money. If such a thing were to happen I think it would be the final straw in pushing my Disney cynicism over the edge.

Comment

Long time WDW fans who take one trip to Disneyland will never fully "feel" the love. A lot of it IS getting past the scale. You're not used to it. It's more compact. But... it packs a real punch when it's firing on all cylinders.

If Magic Kingdom is supposed to be the improved version of Disneyland, they still have a ways to go. They have the scale and they have the space... now they just need the vision.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                          http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Some of this is undoubtedly the emotion issue...people tend to love the park they first visited or most often visit. If you're emotionally attached to one park, the other one will probably never seem as good to you. Disneyland is my 'home' park

When I visited the MK for the first time 2 years ago, I felt like it was a cut-rate park, Disneyland's stepsister. As if it were built with cost rather than quality in mind. The best example is the MK's It's A Small World. It has a horrible exterior, resembling a large shoebox diorama. If you peer inside, you can see similarities to DL's, but it's a sad and cheap imitation of the wonderful and charming building at DL and it drastically affects the atmosphere of that area. Peter Pan too. I just felt no magic, no atmosphere at all. Most of the park needed serious attention from maintenance crews.

One thing I did prefer is the castle. I really loved it.

Comment

Hi,

I grew up going to Disneyland, I live in Florida and am raising my kids on WDW, so here's my two cents:

Your question is about MK vs Disneyland, rather than all of WDW vs Disneyland, so I will answer as such.

I'll start with architecture. The buildings that house the attractions at Disneyland have a "real" feel to them, whereas the MK attractions seem "boxy". The best example of this is It's a small world. The iconic, snow-flake castle of Disneyland does not exist at MK. The loading area is a big boxy room with some snow-flake castle decor (used to be just photos of kids). All of the fantasyland attractions are like this: not much to look at on the outside, then a big boxy loading area. Themed, yes, but it's nothing like Disneyland.

OK, next,quantity of rides. MK is missing Alice in Wonderland, Mr. Toad, Indy, and the Matterhorn (others I'm sure I can't think of right now). Other rides are located elsewhere in WDW, like Star Tours and Finding Nemo. This is a very important point to make. You can't get to the other parks just walking over there like you can from Disneyland to California Adventure. The parks are a fifteen to twenty minute drive away from each other, plus the time to walk to your car, park again, etc. (they have buses, monorail between MK and Epcot, but very time-consuming). So your one day at Disneyland, you get to enjoy a lot more attractions than one day at MK.

Quality of attractions: Disneyland wins nearly every one. (notable exception is Haunted Mansion) Pirates is 5% of what it is at Disneyland. Buzz is better, so is Pooh, Peter Pan, Space Mountain. Thunder is better, at Disneyland. Why? because the effects work there. Effects have been broken at WDW for years, which brings me to...

Maintenance: WDW has declined over the years, with increasing grime and dirt, and my biggest pet peeve, broken effects that stay broken for months or permanently. I can't think of any time I've gone where everything was working properly.

Now here's the thing, it's not really fair to compare MK to Disneyland by itself, because MK is part of the whole resort that is WDW. You could spend a week at WDW, never leave the property, and never get tired of it. (Can you say that about Disneyland?) There's Epcot, Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom, Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon. There's beautifully themed hotels in all price ranges. There's a myriad of dining options. The four main parks all have some very worthy attractions. It's just that the best attractions are spread out amongst the four parks, so you can't (really) hit them all in a day. It's a full vacation, not a "let's go to Disneyland today" thing.

Over the years, I have come to appreciate a few things about MK (compared to Disneyland) including more physical space, ability to handle more people, more effecient queues and loading, and kiosks all over the place selling drinks and icecream. We also still have People Mover and Carousel of Progress, and the rockets tower over tomorrowland like they should be! (It pains me to see the current state of Disneyland's tomorrowland)

I would absolutely encourage you to come to WDW! Just bear everything you're reading in mind

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X