Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do when your friends ask you questions about Disney World?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] What do you do when your friends ask you questions about Disney World?

What do you do when your friends ask you questions about Disney World?

The other day, my husband and I were eating in our favorite restaurant, when the boss at the place mentioned that he was considering taking his 2 year old foster son to Disney World. Now he has been to Disney World before, but not as often or for as many days as I have. He has two almost teenage daughters, a 2 year old foster son, and an infant daughter that they are also trying to adopt. I know this man pretty well, and I know that he has always enjoyed the days that he has spent at Disney World's Magic Kingdom.

I mentioned the fact that Disney is presently in the process of constructing a New Fantasyland, and that that might really put a damper on his visit.

He loves the Magic Kingdom, and he was thinking it would be fun to take the 2 year old there for a visit. His family never stays on property, since his wife always gets a good rate at the hotels in the Downtown Disney area. (Her line of works gets her discounts on hotels, and airfare).

Now, this man knows that I read a lot about Disneyland, and Disney World on the internet, and he is always asking my opinions on things. I try to be as truthful as I can, but I am far from an expert. I also know him, but really don't know either his wife, or his children at all. Sometimes, I am honored that he asks, and yet, I'd hate to give him advice that he might follow and then later on get negative feedback about.

I am pretty honest and straightforward with people, and I honestly believe that taking a 2 year old to Fantasyland right now just might not be the right time. I'd wait until he was about 5 when he can enjoy it a whole lot more. Then there's the whole Fantasyland/Construction thing. Keep in mind that his visit might just include one or two days at Magic Kingdom.

In the meantime, I have begun to read the Fantasyland tracker thread.

So what do you do when your friends ask you questions about Disney World?
    BarbaraAnn

Re: What do you do when your friends ask you questions about Disney World?

When the kid(s) are that young, I go off of my mom's experience with me and my siblings as kids. It seems to jive well with others' experiences:
    • the kids are too young to remember much, if anything, about it
    • the trip itself may be stressful when dealing with a young child's needs
    • the adults will be constrained to what is doable with a young child [wait times, height restrictions, scariness of things that wouldn't occur to adults as scary, etc]
    However, for many, all this is countered by the pictures and memories of sharing the parks with that young child. My mom likes to tell how I pulled on her hair all day while sitting on her shoulders and generally made her miserable, but the pictures she has from that trip and others that I have no recollection of are cherished and I know she still pulls them out.

As for general "is now a good time to visit the parks?" questions make sure they're aware of the Wonderful World of Walls and what will be coming in the future. For Disneyland/DCA the choice seems clearer to that waiting a few years for that big trip once-in-a-decade trip would problably be better. WDW is a harder call, since there are still many things away from the walls and construction, but Fantasyland is such an integral part of most people's perception of Disney World.
    Last edited by Semiquaver; 10-12-2010, 06:48 AM.
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

Comment

Comment

I'm kinda in the same boat with my nieces. One is 4 and one is 2 and I'd like to take a family trip next August before my oldest niece goes to school (my brother and sister-in-law also want to start trying for a boy next summer).

So, my brother thinks my youngest niece is too young (he has been before) and my oldest niece is dying to go "meet Mickey". I know there are children of ALL ages at the parks and it will just be a different experience (and that we'd have to go back again )). I've also mentioned that they do have child care options if they wanted to enjoy an afternoon in the parks without children (they could afford it).

So, I've given my sister-in-law all kinds of books and websites plus my travel agents infor to check out and I'm letting it go from there.
        With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

Comment

I was just there on Sunday, and Fantasyland is in rough shape right now, that's for sure. No Teacups, no It's a Small World. Pooh is open, but no Fastpass, and the queue is all walled-up. You can seen the crane and the steel-framework over the wall along the north end of fantasyland. I never made it to toon-town, so I can't give you first-hand info on that.

BUT, I brought my two-year old, and she still had a ball. She enjoyed the carousel, Pooh, and the stuff she did with the big kids like haunted mansion and pirates. It's not like a two year old can't have fun, because they can. They don't know the difference. And of course, every kid is different. My children's cousins don't like Disney too much because they are afraid of the dark rides. You never know!

If this is a "once-in-a-lifetime" trip your friend is planning, then yeah, I would wait. The park looks pretty bad right now. (not that I'm complaining! not complaining at all, happy they are giving it a much needed makeover, just gotta get through these birthing pains, thats all)

Comment

I agree with you on all accounts Timmy.. both about Tokyo and kids going to WDW. I wish Disney had not dumbed down the WDW experience so much to make parents believe the place is just for kids. Horrible misconception. I would leave the kids at home and enjoy Disney for all is has to offer.. Or really go to Tokyo and enjoy Disney at it's best.
            That would be my advise.

Comment

I think that he is excited to see the expressions on the little boy's face, as he would show him the same things that he remembers his daughters seeing when they were young. I told him about how there may be more construction walls then he may want to deal with, and rides will be closed, and I didn't even get into the whole character thing. Of course, characters could always be seen at a character meal, if he wanted to pay for that.

I just hate recommending anything, or even making positive suggestions at this point in time. I know that he thinks he would be doing this for the 2 year old, but I believe it is more for him, his wife, and his daughter's reactions to what the 2 year old might see and do. There certainly is nothing wrong with taking a two year old to Magic Kingdom under normal conditions. I just felt that these are not going to be normal conditions, and I didn't feel right about not mentioning the construction that is going on.
              BarbaraAnn

Comment

One thing is for sure. When my friends ask me about Disney World, I don't change the subject, and tell them what I know, or what I have heard about any of the other Disney parks. I try to stay on topic.
                BarbaraAnn

Comment

Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
                  One thing is for sure. When my friends ask me about Disney World, I don't change the subject, and tell them what I know, or what I have heard about any of the other Disney parks. I try to stay on topic.
                  So you would rather offer a disservice to your friends if they ask you something about anything where you know a better alternative is available? (and I am not talking just about WDW, but anything else they would ask you about?) Because in regards to WDW, I would be frank.. if that's the only place you can afford to go, then enjoy it and make the best of it and you *will have a great time*. But if you can afford.. then try that because it's better, IMHO. But that's just me. I am not a pollyanna type where everything is beautiful in it's menial ways.. Sorry. That's not me.

Comment

I personally think that it's rude to change the subject and have a conversation always headed in the direction where you want it to go rather than sincerely answering a question that someone else has asked.

Now if someone asks me a question about Las Vegas, and I say, "why do you want to go there, that's a total waste of time. Go to such and such place, because it's better, cheaper, etc; etc;" I would be rude for doing this. They wanted to hear about Las Vegas. That's what they asked my opinion on. That's what I should respond to.

They didn't say "where should I go?. They asked a specific question about a specific place. Therefore, that's what I respond about. That's just the kind of person I am.
                    BarbaraAnn

Comment

Originally posted by timmytimmytimmy
                      But taking a 2 year old is just a waste of money. Let the children have simple basic fun before they start to explore the world. A 2 year old is simply too young to take in the elements that make a true Disney experience.
                      Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                      I agree with you on all accounts Timmy.. both about Tokyo and kids going to WDW. I wish Disney had not dumbed down the WDW experience so much to make parents believe the place is just for kids. Horrible misconception. I would leave the kids at home and enjoy Disney for all is has to offer.. Or really go to Tokyo and enjoy Disney at it's best.
                      That would be my advise.
                      Guys, please. My kids love LOVE! Disney. I loved it when I was a kid too. I've loved it at every age. My two-year old loves Disney World more than anything. All she talks about is going back. "I want to see the parade, and the fireworks.. and go on rides" She loves It's a Small World, Winnie the Pooh, and "the blue ride" (people mover). She loves the train and the carousel. She loves the parade and the fireworks. She loves Philarmagic (she calls it the Mickey Mouse show). She loves to meet the characters, she greets them like they are family. She has no clue it's a human in a costume, to her it's the Real Deal. As soon as we get in the car to leave, she tells me "I had a good time at Disney". Melts my heart. I wouldn't trade these experiences with her for anything. And it's hardly a waste of money, as her admission is free! So excuse me if I ignore your advice to "leave the kids home" because frankly, that's just ridiculous.

Comment

I get questions frequently, especially when someone is planning a trip to WDW but I don't mind, its something I have more knowledge on than the average guest and I enjoy helping people so it's a win win situation. :thumbup:

Comment

Advice will differ, of course, depending on who is doing the asking. In my case, he was specifically asking about a 2 year old. He often asks me if I have heard, or read about anything new going on at Disney World, that his kids would like. I remember a few years back when he asked about the Halloween Party. Now I have never been to that, so I didn't have any first hand experience. I did give him the tip of arriving at about 4 p.m. to get in, though and not to use a day off the "10 day no expiration" tickets that he was using at the time. He was grateful for that little fact that he did not know.

Now if a young married couple, a single person, and older person like myself, asked for my advice, I would definitely have a different slant on things.
                          BarbaraAnn

Comment

Originally posted by lily23 View Post
                            As soon as we get in the car to leave, she tells me "I had a good time at Disney". Melts my heart. I wouldn't trade these experiences with her for anything. And it's hardly a waste of money, as her admission is free! So excuse me if I ignore your advice to "leave the kids home" because frankly, that's just ridiculous.
                            Just proof of my point. It's all about the kids and not really loving Disney for what it is. Who are you kidding?

Comment

:whistling

Anyhoo, Barbaraann, I always tell people to go, no matter what's going on. Because if you advise them not to go, then they won't go, and where's the fun in that?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X