Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

What one thing should Disney do to improve Walt Disney World?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] What one thing should Disney do to improve Walt Disney World?

We all know that there are a lot of wonderful and a lot of terrible things going on at Disney World right now. With the negatives adding up and hurting the Disney image, I thought we should start making a list of the top things that need to be addressed.

For the purposes of this discussion, you can only pick one (1) item that you'd like to see Disney address. It would be great if you could explain why you want it addressed and how.

I just asked the question on
    Twitter and immediately got back the following great responses:

What do YOU think?

-Dusty
    Last edited by Dustysage; 11-16-2010, 01:49 PM.
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
    Save

Re: What one thing should Disney do to improve Walt Disney World?

I would beef up the transportation system. The last time I went in 2008 it was a mess. Didn't seem like there were enough busses and that was during "off season", the first week of December. The boats going from Beach Club to Epcot/Disney Studios were even worse. The boats would show up at the pier, but nobody wanted to get off, and there were at least 2 boatloads of people waiting to get on. With the recent busdriver choking incident, I'm guessing it's not getting any better...

Comment

There are a number of things which bug me about WDW, but I'm going to pick TRANSPORTATION as the #1 thing that needs to get fixed. The bus system is horrible and dangerous (especially when forced to stand for long periods after a long day in the parks). The Monorails and boats are great but they don't go enough places.

If any company in the world should be at the forefront of resort transportation, it should be Disney.

Remember, the way Disney World was originally built (Magic Kingdom and later EPCOT), you could get anywhere on a boat or Monorail. It wasn't until later that the company started to cheap out on less than magical transportation.
      MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
      Save

Comment

For me it's a close race between maintenance and transportation. Since I'm a huge George McGinnis fan, transportation is taking the number one spot. It would immediately increase the value of staying on-site, make those park hopper passes worthwhile, and just looks darn cool.
        It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.
        sigpic

Comment

I agree with the transportation. We were disappointed with the bussing when we went this summer, and next time I go, I'm planning on staying at a monorail resort to make EPCOT and MK easier to get to.

Comment

Pick one thing? Alright, I will pick my biggest gripe: The Food. Ditch the convoluted Dining Plan and lower prices for everyone. Bring back high quality, variety of food items: Real Peanutbutter and Jelly Sandwiches, Potato Salad, Tacos and Mexican Rice, Vegetarian Pizza, General Tzo's Chicken, Clam Chowder in a bread bowl, Figaro Fries, Big Chicken Tenders, special meals on Christmas Day. That's just off the top of my head. Eating used to be part of the fun. Not anymore

Comment

Transportation is a big one. Even if they don't expand the monorail or look at alternatives, the busses could be made a lot more pleasant.

No resorts should share busses in my opinion, even if it means half-empty busses. It took forever to get from Downtown Disney to the Boardwalk because the bus first stopped at the Swan, Dolphin, Yacht, and Beach Club resorts. Even the the two Port Orleans resorts shouldn't share, even if they typically only do so during the afternoon slow periods.

There should be direct busses to the water parks too. At WDW, time is money, and I don't want to detour to Blizzard Beach from Animal Kingdom, I want to go straight to my hotel.
              My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

Where to start? I dont think I can participate in this thread without getting upset. But stop running it like the local Wal-Mart!
                Last edited by TravisMT81; 11-16-2010, 03:49 PM.

:love:Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011:love:
                We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
                Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

Comment

It's hard narrowing it down to just one thing, but I would like it if they had more resort specific merchandise. When I stayed at the Polynesian back in 1997, I was able to come home with many things that said Polynesian on them, from the napkins, to the refillable mug, to the merchandise in the gift shop. You don't see that anymore, you just see the same Disney Parks merchandise everywhere. They could get creative as well with their different themes. Food offerings, activities etc:
                  BarbaraAnn

Comment

It is less apparent at Disneyland but at Walt Disney World it is obvious that the only thing that matters is turning the guests upside down and trying to squeeze every penny they can out of them. This has become the battle ground between Jay and Tom to see who can cut the most so that they can get Iger's job. They figure that the guests are "marks" and they would never know the difference. I have a bunch of specific suggestions but none of it matters when the resort only exists to see who gets to be the next CEO.

Sam
                    SamLand's Disney Adventures

Comment

I would say: Invest without expecting to get their investment back in just one year. You know, real long term investments.

By thinking LONG term, they would be solving a wide range of issues facing WDW today, including transportation, great new attractions, cleanliness, ect.
                      Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                      An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                      Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                      Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

Have signs that show the wait times for buses
                        www.jamboeveryone.com
                        Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

sigpic

Comment

The answer to Dustysage's first post is simple. Turn WDW over to OLC. I honestly don't think WDC has the money of resources, or even the ability anymore, to make sure WDW delivers unsurpassed quality all around. The place is to big and out of control for them to properly manage.

Comment

Olc?
                            Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Comment

^ Oriental Land Company, owners/operators of Tokyo Disneyland, generally noted for their much higher standard of park maintenance than WDW's.

Transportation is a big one, but my personal view is that Disney's main focus needs to be expanding the parks that don't even have enough offerings to fill out a whole guest's day, or offer a sufficient number of attractions for every member of the family. Hopefully, with Star Tours 2 and the possible expansion of Pixar Place, DHS will undergo such a transformation, so the main park I'm addressing is Animal Kingdom. DAK was considered an unfinished park when it opened over 12 years ago, and it has done little to address those criticisms since then. The park doesn't need just one new attraction, it needs something on the scale of a whole new LAND... something that will keep the guests wanting to stay late, with maybe some nighttime entertainment too. If Disney were to add something mythological - not necessarily Beastly Kingdom, but something with dark rides and featuring AA animals you can't see in real life - than I bet they would have a hit on their hands for sure. I think AK is Disney's number one issue they need to address before they think about a fifth park or expansion elsewhere.

So in 140 characters or less, that would be... Expand the Animal Kingdom!!

Comment

Simple. Start putting the "Walt" back into Walt Disney World.

Comment

I'll go with the transportation issues. Getting monorail service to one of the other parks and/or another resort or two would be really cool.

Comment

Just one huh? Way to hamstring me before I start running! haha Ok I am going to agree with transportation! It was always in the masterplan to have all of the parks connected by the monoral. In some areas the supports and track was already in place before it was scrapped for busses. The monoral needs to be #1.
                                    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

Axe any plans for a new park for a long time. Spend the money on what is already existing and bring it up to par. Then do this:

Originally posted by Virtual Toad View Post
                                      Start putting the "Walt" back into Walt Disney World.
                                      "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by MarkTwain View Post
                                        ^ Oriental Land Company, owners/operators of Tokyo Disneyland, generally noted for their much higher standard of park maintenance than WDW's.
                                        Thanks, I had no clue what OLC meant, though I have heard of Oriental Land Company.

I don't have many issues with the busses, save that they now can carry 2 wheelchairs or EVCs which leads to 45 minutes of waiting as two get off and two get on. Not fun when you are trying to catch a palne. Though I do agree that they should look into alternatives, right now that is the cheapest and fastest way to get large groups of people from point A to point B. There should be more busses so they could make a rules that nobody can stand on them.

I think I would just add more rides. There is so much space and so few rides.
                                        Good morning, son
                                        In twenty years from now
                                        Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                                        And I can tell you 'bout today
                                        And how I picked you up and everything changed
                                        It was pain
                                        Sunny days and rain
                                        I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                        X