Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

Disney World reports flat attendance and tries to conceal it.

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Disney World reports flat attendance and tries to conceal it.

WWOHP really did do well--This isn't surprising. It's new, exciting. I really don't like Universal at ALL, but I am a huge HP fan, so I had to go. I've been to Universal twice in my life--It doesn't have the magic of Disney. But HP, that's always magical, and I really did enjoy it.

Disney did have a minimal ticket price increase, but I wouldn't say that's to blame. Not many new attractions, just a bad financial year either way--Tons of people aren't travelling. I go to Disney around 20 times a year, but didn't go nearly as much this year as others. Just trying to conserve. And I live close!

I wouldn't worry about it. They will get back on track. Disney will never be in that much trouble--It's the Happiest Place on Earth. :-)
    Times to Disney World: 394 (as of December 1, 2010)

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
      Generally because of the downward spirial over discounting causes. Too much discounting -> too little revenue -> less profit -> less investment -> less to attract the customers back next season -> lower attendance -> greater need to discount... and the cycle continues until you stagnate and die.
      BINGO.

Are you listening, TDA?
      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
      - Michael Eisner

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
        Are you listening, TDA?
        TDA?

I think TDO & Burbank need to be listening!!!

Comment

This is excellent news for Disney fans. Excellent.

Hopefully we'll see some changes in TDO's priorities and they'll start to realize what actually makes people slap down $80 for a theme park ticket. Is it the restaurants? Why, is it the shops? It must be the chance to meet an amateur actor in a giant suit.

No. It's the rides.
          BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
          October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
          October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
          April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
          October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
          October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
          October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
          October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
          December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
          July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
          July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
          July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
          February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
          February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
          TRIP REPORTS

Comment

Originally posted by toonaspie View Post
            It's hypocritical of Disney after all the effort they put into turning Disneyland into a destination resort.
            Apparently, they want to have their cake, and eat it, too. Make APs and other promos so cheap that they jam the parks all year long, but also try to lure tourists into this mess, too, and call it a "resort". News flash for Disney management: you can't have it both ways!

Comment

Originally posted by Speedway View Post
              This is excellent news for Disney fans. Excellent.

Hopefully we'll see some changes in TDO's priorities and they'll start to realize what actually makes people slap down $80 for a theme park ticket. Is it the restaurants? Why, is it the shops? It must be the chance to meet an amateur actor in a giant suit.

No. It's the rides.
              Very true. All the other stuff is window dressing. It may be important, but it is all secondary to the rides and attractions. WWOHP has made this theme park truism abundangly clear. You want to increase attendance and revenues? Create great attractions and themed lands.

Comment

USA Today basically just reads micechat lol: Theme park showdown: Harry Potter vs. Mi

This was on the front page this morning of USA Today. I swear they just read micechat to get story ideas lol.

ORLANDO — Craig Taylor wasn't much interested in vacationing in Orlando with his parents this month — until he and his girlfriend plugged into the hype swirling around the new Harry Potter attraction.
                So Taylor, 23, a police dispatcher who lives near Manchester, England, and girlfriend Katherine Lucarz, 22, both fans of the wildly popular books and movies about the boy wizard, decided they had to tag along to experience The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando. That's where they were on a sunny, cool weekday afternoon in early December, taking a break among the other Muggles in the shadow of the towering Hogwarts castle.
                "It's brilliant," says Lucarz, adding that the steep, snow-covered rooftops, crooked chimneys and shops of Hogsmeade village are even more like the movies than she imagined. Other visitors queued up just to get in the door at Ollivander's Wand Shop, and waited an hour for the centerpiece ride, a fantastic state-of-the-art flight simulator/robocoaster called "Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey."

(Article continued at link)
                Theme park showdown: Harry Potter vs. Mickey Mouse - USATODAY.com
                Last edited by penguinsoda; 12-13-2010, 01:26 PM. Reason: Article shortened for copyright issues
                Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

Re: USA Today basically just reads micechat lol: Theme park showdown: Harry Potter vs

haha sounds like it.
                  "Ian, in life, whatever you do, DO NOT give up your dreams and goals of the past, present, and future and only then will you be successful!" - Walter Elias Disney

Comment

Re: USA Today basically just reads micechat lol: Theme park showdown: Harry Potter vs

I'm from Manchester, England!
                    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
                    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
                    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
                    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
                    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
                    TRIP REPORTS

Comment

It's actually an extensive topic on many message boards, not just this one.
                      It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

Originally posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
                        It's actually an extensive topic on many message boards, not just this one.
                        Well this is the only board that really matters! lol
                        Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

First off, I am an annual passholder to Disney and Universal.

I like Universal, but I'm not in love with Universal. Harry Potter is a really good themed area, feels kinda small and can feel very claustrophobic. The Forbidden Journey is one of the best Theme Park rides I've ever been on. It just encompasses so many elements that make it really cool. My problem is the rest Islands of Adventure doesn't really live up to it. Jurassic Park needs a lot of work, (I was REALLY disappointed with JP) Toon Lagoon is nice, the Marvel area has Spiderman and Hulk, Suess Landing wasn't my cup of tea, and the Lost Continent was just okay, kinda "eh" feeling. Harry Potter gives them a great thing to build off of and some extra capital to improve other areas of the Park. I'm just not in the crowd that thinks IOA or Universal in general is a world changing experience.

Yes I know, Epcot, DHS, and DAK need work and aren't necessarily "complete" parks either. I fully believe that Disney needs to take some DCA size money (1.5B) and use it to improve these 3 parks.
                          "All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."

Disneyland - 1995, 1988
                          Walt Disney World - JAN 2011, OCT 2010, SEPT 2010, MAY 2010, MAR 2010, JULY 2009, MAY 2009, JULY 1999

Next Trips:
                          WDW - Valentine's Day 2011
                          Disneyland - Late May/Early June

Comment

Working...
                          X