Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

NTSB Releases documents on the Monorail Crash

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • News NTSB Releases documents on the Monorail Crash

    news from last week - but didn't see it posted.

    You can access documents released by the NTSB about the monorail crash, including interviews, supporting materials, etc here

    CD List Of Contents

  • #2
    Re: NTSB Releases documents on the Monorail Crash

    reading through things like the Monorail maintenance logs is interesting.

    Especially since some people like to moan over how bad WDW transportation safety is, etc. Just look at the logs - not much there needing action

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: NTSB Releases documents on the Monorail Crash

      Reading the radio transcripts is especially eirie...

      http://www.ntsb.gov/Dockets/RailRoad...008/447566.pdf

      about line 91 is when the accident really starts to line up

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: NTSB Releases documents on the Monorail Crash

        this is fascinating.
        Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: NTSB Releases documents on the Monorail Crash

          Reading the interview of the driver of Monorail Pink is very interesting (the monorail that hit purple of course)

          http://www.ntsb.gov/Dockets/RailRoad...008/447519.pdf

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: NTSB Releases documents on the Monorail Crash

            thank you for posting this
            Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: NTSB Releases documents on the Monorail Crash

              On the night of July 5th sometime after midnight, I was driving the Black train on the resort monorail line. As I approached base, I pointed out to the little girls in my front cab how the Epcot train was going backwards thru what I thought was the switch. I realized it was still on the Epcot line and looked passed it as it continued thru the station not appearing to stop. I then saw a headlight at another monorail just past it. I heard on the radio a train calling that it was thru the switch. When the second headlight disappeared and the radio went to static. I smiled to my guests, who weren't paying attention and parked and let them out of my train so I wouldn't let them know.
              http://www.ntsb.gov/Dockets/RailRoad...008/447564.pdf

              Chilling.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: NTSB Releases documents on the Monorail Crash

                I was there when this happend, and the crazy thing was i rode in the front of black at like 10:30 that night.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: NTSB Releases documents on the Monorail Crash

                  Reading through the investigation is very chilling, however some of the questions I had were answered, I wonder what their conclusion was from the investigation???
                  The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
                  -George S. Patton

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: NTSB Releases documents on the Monorail Crash

                    the final report I could not find on the site - but the prelim findings were no mechanical issue - simply the guy didn't switch the track and Disney was changing procedures to avoid running like that.

                    The thing that stood out to me in the interview was why they would go all the way back to GL station before switching cabs... maybe to avoid congestion at Base so trains from MK to Base could still still come in without waiting for the 'out of service' train to cycle holding up the station.

                    It really seems bad that none of the people on the platform were able to use the kill packs either. The info we have there never has any interviews with people on the platform itself in terms of asking why they ran around yelling 'stop!' (as reported by witnesses) yet no one used the kill pack.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: NTSB Releases documents on the Monorail Crash

                      Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                      the final report I could not find on the site - but the prelim findings were no mechanical issue - simply the guy didn't switch the track and Disney was changing procedures to avoid running like that.

                      The thing that stood out to me in the interview was why they would go all the way back to GL station before switching cabs... maybe to avoid congestion at Base so trains from MK to Base could still still come in without waiting for the 'out of service' train to cycle holding up the station.

                      It really seems bad that none of the people on the platform were able to use the kill packs either. The info we have there never has any interviews with people on the platform itself in terms of asking why they ran around yelling 'stop!' (as reported by witnesses) yet no one used the kill pack.

                      Still with the kill pack and all, once power is shut off wouldn't it still be moving? like a car slamming on breaks doesn't instantly stop?
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: NTSB Releases documents on the Monorail Crash

                        Originally posted by Shorty26 View Post
                        Still with the kill pack and all, once power is shut off wouldn't it still be moving? like a car slamming on breaks doesn't instantly stop?
                        Finals have kept me from reading the findings yet, but I have been trying to follow the discussion over at WDW Magic. From what I can gather, when power is lost the monorails automatically apply their emergency brakes. Second, the kill packs might not have solved the problem. The kill packs are apparently there incase somebody were to fall from the station platform and the distance they shut down is not that far out from the station. There was also some questioning if the kill packs would have stopped power to Monorail Pink, because Monorail Purple was straddling the edge of the kill zone and may have powered the "killed" track. Doesn't answer why nobody apparently tried, but still interesting.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: NTSB Releases documents on the Monorail Crash

                          Originally posted by Shorty26 View Post
                          Still with the kill pack and all, once power is shut off wouldn't it still be moving? like a car slamming on breaks doesn't instantly stop?
                          The systems automatically brake - else such a kill system wouldn't work too great as a anti-collision method

                          The trains work on air brakes.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: NTSB Releases documents on the Monorail Crash

                            I've sat in the drivers seat of the Monorail at Disneyland for pictures, and I remember seeing camera monitors set on various parts of the Monorail. Why didn't Alan Rubino use his to see if anything was behind him? Don't they have/use them on the Monorail's at WDW?


                            Just wondering.
                            Last edited by ComPrt3; 12-03-2010, 01:22 PM.
                            Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: NTSB Releases documents on the Monorail Crash

                              Originally posted by ComPrt3 View Post
                              I've sat in the drivers seat of the Monorail at Disneyland for pictures, and I remember seeing camera monitors set on various parts of the Monorail. Why didn't Alan Rubino use his to see if anything was behind him? Don't they use them on the Monorail's at WDW?

                              Just wondering.
                              Apparently not.
                              Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Re: NTSB Releases documents on the Monorail Crash

                                No they dont have cameras.
                                sigpic

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Re: NTSB Releases documents on the Monorail Crash

                                  Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                                  The thing that stood out to me in the interview was why they would go all the way back to GL station before switching cabs... maybe to avoid congestion at Base so trains from MK to Base could still still come in without waiting for the 'out of service' train to cycle holding up the station.
                                  Ya that seemed very unusual to me as well, why would you run a train in reverse for that long with that big of a risk (even IF it's switched over for a fact it's still safer running a train forward) it takes maybe 10-15 minutes to switch a train's control from one car to the new forward most control car???

                                  Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                                  It really seems bad that none of the people on the platform were able to use the kill packs either. The info we have there never has any interviews with people on the platform itself in terms of asking why they ran around yelling 'stop!' (as reported by witnesses) yet no one used the kill pack.
                                  I know in plane accidents they interview the ground crews any MX crews, anybody that came close enough to touch that plane is interviewed...Why the NTSB didn't do that in this case?
                                  The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
                                  -George S. Patton

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Re: NTSB Releases documents on the Monorail Crash

                                    Originally posted by ORD84 View Post
                                    I know in plane accidents they interview the ground crews any MX crews, anybody that came close enough to touch that plane is interviewed...Why the NTSB didn't do that in this case?
                                    I'm sure they did - note this is not ALL the material associated with this report - only the material that was released as part of a FOIA request someone filed.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Re: NTSB Releases documents on the Monorail Crash

                                      Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                                      I'm sure they did - note this is not ALL the material associated with this report - only the material that was released as part of a FOIA request someone filed.
                                      Yeah too bad the government likes to play keep away with all but the info that you request...I love seeing documents with magic marker marking 3/4ths of the information out...

                                      BESIDES THAT, the information that they released answered almost all of the questions I had, so I'm happy...still sad the whole thing had to happen but I'm happy having my questions resolved.
                                      The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
                                      -George S. Patton

                                      Comment

                                      Working...
                                      X