This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Protests going on at Cross Roads Plaza near DTD, about Disney

I will update as more information comes in. But there is a large protest going on at Cross Roads Plaza near Downtown Disney against Disney. Not sure about the nature right now, but will post as more as more information becomes available.

update:
    This looks like this is a new union contract dispute.
    http://www.cfnews13.com/article/news...ontract-battle

(update side note: they did not have permission to use the tilt focus video from Disney which is super dumb on their part because now this video is in the process of being removed)

update:
    HEre is a recap of the screening
    http://www.cfnews13.com/article/news...ontract-battle

Upset Disney union workers say they will not budge when it comes to continuing contract negotiations.

With contract mediation on Thursday, the Service Trades Council released a short film called “MouseTrapped 2010” that highlights their struggles.

The trailer for “MouseTrapped 2010” was published a week earlier on YouTube.
    Aside from a trailer, the film hasn't been released to the public yet.

However, union members said Disney executives can watch it and hope they do before heading into Thursday's negotiations.

"I've watched Animal Kingdom being built,” said Patricia Ann Howard, a Disney cast member. “I've watched Epcot part of that opening."

Howard has worked at Disney since 1978 and wouldn't want to work anywhere else.

"My guests are the most important thing to me," Howard said.

Now Howard is one of almost 29,000 union workers who said they are disappointed with Disney.

For the last six months, Disney and its six unions have been negotiating new contracts.

Disney is offering a 3 percent raise over the next 3 years and several health care options.

Union workers, like Jeanette Newcomb, a single mother of three, said that doesn't even cover the cost of living.

"There’s really no excuse why they can't give us a good contract and we deserve it because we take care of the guests," Newcomb said.

Workers talk about their daily struggles in "Mousetrapped 2010".

Union members said they hope it shakes up negotiations.

"We yell a little bit and scream a little bit, and then when nobody listens, you have to do something like this," said Eric Clinton, the president of Union 362.

Disney spokeswoman Andrea Finger said they are disappointed in the union and this film.

"It is unfortunate that union leaders think this is an effective way to negotiate,” Finger said. “In reality, we appreciate all that our cast members do."

However, cast members question that.

After the film ended, union members gave it a standing ovation. Howard said she wants to love working for Disney again.

"Step it up a little bit,” Howard said. “Let your cast be proud of you. Let them be proud again of working for the best company in the world."

The current contract expires Dec. 10.

Finger said because the deadline is still about a week and a half away, they don't want to speculate about what would happen if the deadline passes.

However, a union representative told News 13 negotiations have fallen apart so much, Disney and union officials won't even be in the same room.

A mediator will actually go back and forth between two separate rooms and let each side know what the other representatives have discussed.
    Last edited by KingEric; 11-30-2010, 10:11 PM. Reason: add information
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Re: Protests going on at Cross Roads Plaza near DTD, about Disney

Grrr, not more protesters! I hate anti-Disney activists. They think protesting will make a difference when they end up in jail and/or get ridiculed for the rest of their lives.

Comment

At least they're not protesting on Disney property...not like what happened in Disneyland Paris where the unions actually went into the parks and interruppted parades and shows. It might be bad but as long as they're keeping it professional and off the resort I dont mind it.

Comment

Originally posted by toonaspie View Post
        At least they're not protesting on Disney property...not like what happened in Disneyland Paris where the unions actually went into the parks and interruppted parades and shows. It might be bad but as long as they're keeping it professional and off the resort I dont mind it.
        I agree. But a strong messaged should be sent. Maybe they will actually strike this time... but i just wish that the WDW would pay them more.

Comment

I do hope the employees get the raise they are looking for but it seems like the group of people in the video feel entitled to something because they work at "Disney." If you are a cashier at a department store you make minimum wage or a little more. Why should a Disney cashier make more or in this case feel entitled to more for the same job? To me the people in this video seem to have an unjustified since of entitlement.

Comment

Originally posted by STEAMBOAT JOSHIE View Post
            I do hope the employees get the raise they are looking for but it seems like the group of people in the video feel entitled to something because they work at "Disney." If you are a cashier at a department store you make minimum wage or a little more. Why should a Disney cashier make more or in this case feel entitled to more for the same job? To me the people in this video seem to have an unjustified since of entitlement.
            Fair enough. But if you work for a company for 30 years and you maxed out at 15.00 hr and your pension, benefits, keep getting reduced I think you can feel jilted. But in my opinion if you have been working there for 30 years you should be in mid level management.

Comment

Originally posted by KingEric View Post
              Fair enough. But if you work for a company for 30 years and you maxed out at 15.00 hr and your pension, benefits, keep getting reduced I think you can feel jilted. But in my opinion if you have been working there for 30 years you should be in mid level management.
              I agree with you 100%. I hope Disney steps up and gives the employees that have earned it what they deserve.

Comment

It's sad how many companies, Disney included, get away with things like this. My dad has been working for the same midwest home improvement company for over 30 years, and he isn't making 15.00 an hour, and has terrible benefits. He can't leave the company due to the poor economy. Businesses, especially big corporations, feel they can get away with anything!
                In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

Comment

Originally posted by STEAMBOAT JOSHIE View Post
                  When was the last time you were checking out at a department store and got the same level of service as you do on Disney property? Most of the time the person barely acknowledge your there. I had a cashier at Macy's 2 weeks ago not break her conversation with another worker until the moment she told me how much I owed and that was the only time she spoke to me. I have consistently had amazing experiences dealing with cast members around the parks. Their jobs require more than the average cashier's job. They deal with more people year round, later hours, and strict look requirements. They deserve more.

Comment

Originally posted by GraceysGirl View Post
                    When was the last time you were checking out at a department store and got the same level of service as you do on Disney property? Most of the time the person barely acknowledge your there. I had a cashier at Macy's 2 weeks ago not break her conversation with another worker until the moment she told me how much I owed and that was the only time she spoke to me. I have consistently had amazing experiences dealing with cast members around the parks. Their jobs require more than the average cashier's job. They deal with more people year round, later hours, and strict look requirements. They deserve more.
                    you are 100% correct. A cashier at Target here in Orlando starts out at 11.00 hr... Disney 7.50 hr

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainEO,ATIS View Post
                      Grrr, not more protesters! I hate anti-Disney activists. They think protesting will make a difference when they end up in jail and/or get ridiculed for the rest of their lives.
                      I wouldn't advise you to blindly support Disney Co. like that. For all the pixie dust, they are capable of being wrong.

Last I heard on the news, several months ago, the deal Disney is repeatedly offering results in a 9 cent pay deduction for some cast members since the cost of health care outstrips the 3% raise. I think Disney was offering $500 cash in hand to those cast members who voted "yes" on it, and I know many who were tempted due to the holiday season.
                      "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

Comment

So I was digging and decided that we add some real world numbers, which actually make WDW seem like a bad business model in it's current state.

WDW 2009 Revenue: $2,800,000,000.00
                        WDW 2009 Profit: $316,000,000

Now if you were to take that profit and split it between all 62,000 CMs equally they would all only get $5,096.00 yearly increase which would equal a $2.45 hr raise.

So is the WDW model a bust? With 25,000 hotel rooms, Timeshare, Parks ect. Can they actually continue to operate while maintaining quality and value for the guest, and quality of life for the Cast Member and Profitability for the Shareholder?

Comment

So WDW operates on an 11% profit margin.

Comment

I've never been union and don't plan on it either (helicopter mechanics aren't that special), but I have worked with unionized pilots in the past and I have to say that no one wants to deal with the unions. They do absolutely nothing but make bad deals with the company and tell the employees that its ok ($15/hr max pay). My 2 cents is that if the employees voted the union out things would improve immensely.

Oh and that's where the "I don't care cause I can't be fired." customer service comes from.
                            He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
                            follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
                            DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

Comment

Originally posted by Coastierox View Post
                              Oh and that's where the "I don't care cause I can't be fired." customer service comes from.
                              Oh at WDW you can deff be fired. You just have to go through the proper documented steps, which after being a manager of unionized staff at WDW, I don't think is a negative thing. I had to participate in a few terminations, while not pleasant, they were given enough warning, and coaching to take personal corrective actions. So when it was time for termination it was clear to the reason why.

Comment

Oh at WDW you can deff be fired. You just have to go through the proper documented steps, which after being a manager of unionized staff at WDW, I don't think is a negative thing. I had to participate in a few terminations, while not pleasant, they were given enough warning, and coaching to take personal corrective actions. So when it was time for termination it was clear to the reason why.
                                I understand that, I'm just saying I think that's where the attitude comes from...
                                He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
                                follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
                                DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

Comment

Getting paid minimum wage to work in a Disney Park of all places is completely out of whack. It was a good thing I didnt have any classes to take when I did the College Program cuz then I got to use my free time picking up overtime hours and making a little extra money.

Comment

Exactly - the company doesn't owe anyone advances if the employee is doing the same job over the time period. If you work the same job and you want better pay - you should actually try getting a position that pays BETTER. Jobs top out in pay - if you want more - you gotta switch jobs. That's the employee's issue - not the employer if the employee doesn't want to improve and expand.

So is the WDW model a bust? With 25,000 hotel rooms, Timeshare, Parks ect. Can they actually continue to operate while maintaining quality and value for the guest, and quality of life for the Cast Member and Profitability for the Shareholder?
                                    Irony - people want Disney to go all out 'money is no object' and when the profit margins aren't there, people ask why isn't it there?

The fact something on the scale of WDW operates at all based on their sales model is pretty amazing in itself
                                    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
                                    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                                    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                                      Exactly - the company doesn't owe anyone advances if the employee is doing the same job over the time period. If you work the same job and you want better pay - you should actually try getting a position that pays BETTER. Jobs top out in pay - if you want more - you gotta switch jobs. That's the employee's issue - not the employer if the employee doesn't want to improve and expand.

Irony - people want Disney to go all out 'money is no object' and when the profit margins aren't there, people ask why isn't it there?

The fact something on the scale of WDW operates at all based on their sales model is pretty amazing in itself
                                      After doing that quick math, I am more apt to give disney a break in all honesty. 11% isn't stellar when you really look at it. Makes me want to close down resorts, and get back to core businesses.

Comment

I go both ways on this, its kinda like then go get another job if this one does not pay enough, at the same time Disney could pay more money to Cast Members seeing how they're jobs are a lot harder than others and not all of the hardest working and best CM's get promoted because of "politics's". Also like I have said before if you say you run on Magic do IT. Don't BS the public if you truly care about the guest and CM's show us, pay them well and make them happy so they can pass that happiness to the guests.
                                        My Dream is to make movies and own a theme park, if I did I would not be all greedy about the money, at that point as long as I have enough money to support my self and my family then I can use the rest of my money to invest in other projects and my staff, Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
                                        Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X