• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flynnibus
    replied
    Re: Protests going on at Cross Roads Plaza near DTD, about Disney

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Guess I don't see what he did to make the parks better it seems like other people are doing the work but he gets paid for it.......that is sooo much more fair than giving the people that make the magic get raises
    Because he's the CEO of TWDC - not the CEO of the Disney Parks. Disney fans seem to forget that Disney is a multifacaded, multi-national conglomerate with it's hands in everything from consumer products, broadcast networks, cable networks, radio networks, movie studios, etc. The parks is just ONE facet of the company. Yes, paying someone that kind of money for a single business unit would be foolish.

But he's the CEO of a company that has yearly revenue of over 38 BILLION and a market cap of over 70 billion. This is not the job of some disconnected dreamer.

Leave a comment:

• JerrodDRagon
    replied

Originally posted by cromag View Post
    Its a business. As a business you want to keep your overhead as low as possible and your profits as high as possible. These people aren't forced to work there. Watch the video and you hear people saying how they want to be part of the "magic". They do it by choice for the most part.

That being said if they banded together in an act of total solidarity and walked out in force Disney would be forced to cave into their demands.
    A disney park with no one to staff it would be forced to take notice. Imagine having to tell twenty thousand Disney hotel guests they will have to leave and find other accommodations and they wont be able to visit the parks because there is no one to staff them. Or how about telling 80,000 people the park is closed Wally world style.

But I dont ever see that EVER happening.

Oh and by the way Robert Iger made roughly 13.7 million in 07, 13.7 million in 08 and 30 million in 2009.
    And I'm sure he earned that 30 million dollars by...ummmmm making all the great rides.....ohh what that imagneers....how about making shows better...ohhh wait Disney Dance Crew, and a segment of Woc.......

Guess I don't see what he did to make the parks better it seems like other people are doing the work but he gets paid for it.......that is sooo much more fair than giving the people that make the magic get raises

Leave a comment:

• cromag
    replied

Its a business. As a business you want to keep your overhead as low as possible and your profits as high as possible. These people aren't forced to work there. Watch the video and you hear people saying how they want to be part of the "magic". They do it by choice for the most part.

That being said if they banded together in an act of total solidarity and walked out in force Disney would be forced to cave into their demands.
    A disney park with no one to staff it would be forced to take notice. Imagine having to tell twenty thousand Disney hotel guests they will have to leave and find other accommodations and they wont be able to visit the parks because there is no one to staff them. Or how about telling 80,000 people the park is closed Wally world style.

But I dont ever see that EVER happening.

Oh and by the way Robert Iger made roughly 13.7 million in 07, 13.7 million in 08 and 30 million in 2009.
    Last edited by cromag; 12-08-2010, 10:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• toonaspie
    replied

Originally posted by indianajack View Post
    The profit margin on the theme parks is not great, they'll always be a labor of love in some sense. But above and beyond their operating margins, they can also be seen as a kind of loss leader (to some extent since they don't lose any money on the parks). Disney parks make guests fall in love with the brand which then persuades families to buy all the other Disney products such as toys, DVDs, stationery, clothes, etc. If it were not for the parks, how many of us would love and buy Disney so much? I sure wouldn't.
    Damn straight, the fact that Disney's creativity and storytelling could span beyond the realm of the film industry is what made them a powerhouse.

Leave a comment:

• indianajack
    replied

The profit margin on the theme parks is not great, they'll always be a labor of love in some sense. But above and beyond their operating margins, they can also be seen as a kind of loss leader (to some extent since they don't lose any money on the parks). Disney parks make guests fall in love with the brand which then persuades families to buy all the other Disney products such as toys, DVDs, stationery, clothes, etc. If it were not for the parks, how many of us would love and buy Disney so much? I sure wouldn't.

Leave a comment:

• tloolgb
    replied

Originally posted by KingEric View Post
    Fair enough. But if you work for a company for 30 years and you maxed out at 15.00 hr and your pension, benefits, keep getting reduced I think you can feel jilted. But in my opinion if you have been working there for 30 years you should be in mid level management.
    Its a tight line to walk here with opinions on this for me...because yes the people they get for these videos DO feel entitled...but on the flip side there are many people that go nowhere with Disney but keep their mouth shut and do their work.

After everything I've seen, both Disney and the Unions have caused their own problems and lead to this point in time.

Leave a comment:

• Bill
    replied

So I was digging and decided that we add some real world numbers, which actually make WDW seem like a bad business model in it's current state.

WDW 2009 Revenue: $2,800,000,000.00
    WDW 2009 Profit: $316,000,000

Now if you were to take that profit and split it between all 62,000 CMs equally they would all only get $5,096.00 yearly increase which would equal a $2.45 hr raise.

So is the WDW model a bust? With 25,000 hotel rooms, Timeshare, Parks ect. Can they actually continue to operate while maintaining quality and value for the guest, and quality of life for the Cast Member and Profitability for the Shareholder?
    I'm just a little curious, where did you find those numbers? They're not in the annual report. I'd like to see some real P&L statements from just WDW only.

Leave a comment:

• CMHusband
    replied

my wife got a tiny little raise last year but her union dues went up as well, so half her raise went to the union, therefore the union got a raise for all the hard work the CM's provide. The unions are a joke.

Leave a comment:

• CaptainEO,ATIS
    replied

Originally posted by Semiquaver View Post
    I wouldn't advise you to blindly support Disney Co. like that. For all the pixie dust, they are capable of being wrong.
    Well I made that post before the OP edited the starting post. Before he didn't say anything about what they were protesting about so I assumed they were just people who hated Disney and were protesting against them. Now that he edited it and says the reason I understand that these CMs may think that their wage is unfair. I too think that the CMs should get a raise after Disney makes billions each year. They are the ones who are suppost to make the parks magical but when Disney pays them so little each year there is a problem that needs to be solved.

Leave a comment:

• EpcotLady
    replied

You just feel like Disney has SO much money to pay their employees--I would love to work for Disney in the future, and I plan on doing so, regardless of this, but I do hope that they come to a middle ground.

Leave a comment:

• toonaspie
    replied

I go both ways on this, its kinda like then go get another job if this one does not pay enough, at the same time Disney could pay more money to Cast Members seeing how they're jobs are a lot harder than others and not all of the hardest working and best CM's get promoted because of "politics's". Also like I have said before if you say you run on Magic do IT. Don't BS the public if you truly care about the guest and CM's show us, pay them well and make them happy so they can pass that happiness to the guests.
    My Dream is to make movies and own a theme park, if I did I would not be all greedy about the money, at that point as long as I have enough money to support my self and my family then I can use the rest of my money to invest in other projects and my staff, Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    Plus the amount of money that guests pay for Disney magic should reflect the amount of pay that cast members are paid to work there. If I'm paying a lot of money to eat at a restaraunt then the pay should also be good for those who work in it. Not rocket science if ya ask me.

Leave a comment:

• STEAMBOAT JOSHIE
    replied

I go both ways on this, its kinda like then go get another job if this one does not pay enough, at the same time Disney could pay more money to Cast Members seeing how they're jobs are a lot harder than others and not all of the hardest working and best CM's get promoted because of "politics's". Also like I have said before if you say you run on Magic do IT. Don't BS the public if you truly care about the guest and CM's show us, pay them well and make them happy so they can pass that happiness to the guests.
    My Dream is to make movies and own a theme park, if I did I would not be all greedy about the money, at that point as long as I have enough money to support my self and my family then I can use the rest of my money to invest in other projects and my staff, Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    Very well put! I feel the same way!

Leave a comment:

• JerrodDRagon
    replied

Leave a comment:

• KingEric
    replied

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
    Exactly - the company doesn't owe anyone advances if the employee is doing the same job over the time period. If you work the same job and you want better pay - you should actually try getting a position that pays BETTER. Jobs top out in pay - if you want more - you gotta switch jobs. That's the employee's issue - not the employer if the employee doesn't want to improve and expand.

Irony - people want Disney to go all out 'money is no object' and when the profit margins aren't there, people ask why isn't it there?

The fact something on the scale of WDW operates at all based on their sales model is pretty amazing in itself
    After doing that quick math, I am more apt to give disney a break in all honesty. 11% isn't stellar when you really look at it. Makes me want to close down resorts, and get back to core businesses.

Leave a comment:

• flynnibus
    replied

Fair enough. But if you work for a company for 30 years and you maxed out at 15.00 hr and your pension, benefits, keep getting reduced I think you can feel jilted. But in my opinion if you have been working there for 30 years you should be in mid level management.
    Exactly - the company doesn't owe anyone advances if the employee is doing the same job over the time period. If you work the same job and you want better pay - you should actually try getting a position that pays BETTER. Jobs top out in pay - if you want more - you gotta switch jobs. That's the employee's issue - not the employer if the employee doesn't want to improve and expand.

So is the WDW model a bust? With 25,000 hotel rooms, Timeshare, Parks ect. Can they actually continue to operate while maintaining quality and value for the guest, and quality of life for the Cast Member and Profitability for the Shareholder?
    Irony - people want Disney to go all out 'money is no object' and when the profit margins aren't there, people ask why isn't it there?

The fact something on the scale of WDW operates at all based on their sales model is pretty amazing in itself

Leave a comment:

• toonaspie
    replied

Getting paid minimum wage to work in a Disney Park of all places is completely out of whack. It was a good thing I didnt have any classes to take when I did the College Program cuz then I got to use my free time picking up overtime hours and making a little extra money.

Leave a comment:

• Coastierox
    replied

Oh at WDW you can deff be fired. You just have to go through the proper documented steps, which after being a manager of unionized staff at WDW, I don't think is a negative thing. I had to participate in a few terminations, while not pleasant, they were given enough warning, and coaching to take personal corrective actions. So when it was time for termination it was clear to the reason why.
    I understand that, I'm just saying I think that's where the attitude comes from...

Leave a comment:

• KingEric
    replied

Originally posted by Coastierox View Post
    Oh and that's where the "I don't care cause I can't be fired." customer service comes from.
    Oh at WDW you can deff be fired. You just have to go through the proper documented steps, which after being a manager of unionized staff at WDW, I don't think is a negative thing. I had to participate in a few terminations, while not pleasant, they were given enough warning, and coaching to take personal corrective actions. So when it was time for termination it was clear to the reason why.

Leave a comment:

• Coastierox
    replied

I've never been union and don't plan on it either (helicopter mechanics aren't that special), but I have worked with unionized pilots in the past and I have to say that no one wants to deal with the unions. They do absolutely nothing but make bad deals with the company and tell the employees that its ok ($15/hr max pay). My 2 cents is that if the employees voted the union out things would improve immensely.

Oh and that's where the "I don't care cause I can't be fired." customer service comes from.

Leave a comment:

• KingEric
    replied

So WDW operates on an 11% profit margin.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X