Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

Are we on the verge of a WDW Renaissance?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are we on the verge of a WDW Renaissance?

Originally posted by klstorey View Post
    Well let's stop and look at what we know.

DTD-Hyperion Wharf- Sure some of us may not like it but it is a vast improvement over what has been there for at least 2 years now. Along with it we shall see many new shoppes and restaurants and few other goodies.

There are rumors of major shake-ups within the WestEnd that will change the whole feel of this area. We also know we're getting an expanded Lego store and a remodeled AMC.

MK-An expanded Fantasyland with at least one new ride and rumors of a few more. We're also getting an amazing new restaurant and some nice Meet&Greets. If Winnie the Pooh is any hint at whats to come we will be getting one amazing Fantasyland.

We're also seeing little enhancements throughout the park and this should continue for awhile. (I personally hope that the Speedway dies a quick death and is replaced by some of the much cooler attractions like the ones found in Tokyo)

EPCOT-lots of rumors including new lands and rides. (My vote is for Saudi Arabia, Spain and Brazil.)
    I think the recent Shanghai Expo shows what countries are willing to do to showcase themselves. This needs to be where World Showcase needs to focus. Each of the countries pavilions at the Expo had multiple events, restaurants, and some even had rides (Switzerland by far had one of the most memorable pavilions) Why can't EPOCT have this also? I suspect that future countries will not only expect it but demand it.

This year alone at EPCOT we got two great new restaurants that are highly themed and have quality chefs at the helm.

DHS-Star Tours 2 is on the way and from the rumors it sounds pretty good. There are rumors of a Monsters, Inc. coaster on the way, along with CarsLand similar to what DCA. This would add at least 2 or 3 rides in itself. The Ratatouille ride may also be on the way (I personally would prefer to see this at EPCOT but the chances of that happening are pretty slim).

There are also rumors of a remake to Great Movie Ride and Indiana Jones. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Tron ride come to the park, along with at least one other D ticket ride.

AK-Lots of rumors, none which seem to be true. But within the next ten years I'm sure we'll see at least a few of them come true. Here we can expect whole new lands with multiple rides and attractions.

Hotels- Art of Animation has been confirmed. Rumors of a new California themed one between Fort Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge. We just got the Bay Lake Tower.

Other items-
    An expansion at the Wide World of Sports is about to get started.

A amazing new pet Kennel just opened on the property, Golden Oaks is being built with the world class 4 Seasons at the heart of it.

Flamingo Crossing seems to be on the back burner but is sure to open within the next ten years (and remember this is where Dixie Stampede is supposedly going).

We also know of a new shopping area being built on 192 itself.

Transportation-
    A huge new High Speed Rail station is on the way (as long as Scott keeps his hands off this project) that will give Disney a major I-4 presence.

WDW also just hired Samuel Lau away from San Fransisco. Now let's think about this. Why would they hire one of the top transportation directors in the nation to run a bunch of buses. He is well known in the industry due to his numerous studies and projects involving everything from Bus Rapid Transit to Personal Rapid Transit. He is still figuring out the problems at WDW but he was hired for what he knows and thats light rail and BRTs. So I expect a major overhaul of the transit system within the next few years. This overhaul will include light rail connecting most of the resorts and parks, BRT lanes throughout the property, and hopefully an expanded boat service.

So with all this happening I would definitely say YES we not only on the verge (or edge if you wish) of a WDW Renaissance we are in fact in the midst of it.

As far as the management goes I expect some shake ups sooner than later, Burbank can't be happy about the contract negotiations, the complaints, and the flat attendance. Instead of an all one time overhaul they seem to be slowly and with little fanfare going through a replacing or at least waking up the east coast suits.

By 2021 WDW will look entirely different!
    Loved every word of this!
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Comment

Originally posted by KingEric View Post
      I just don't know how it can. WDW's profit was 312 million dollars. E:E cost 150 million dollars. How on earth in it's current form can we really expect Disney to drop more capital expenses into a resort that is operating on a 11% margin.
      Because you're comparing Apples and Oranges. The capital for building something like E:E is amortized over decades. No one expects any of these capital investments to have ROI in just a handful of years. These type of 9 digit expenses are intended to be the foundations for decades worth of revenue from the people these attractions help attract.

A list dominated by
      - malls
      - DVC and value to slightly moderate resorts
      - 'new' resturants which aren't really additions but simple reboots because the last guys pulled out
      - projects bringing more outside things closer to the parks and taking away from the buffer (the private homes and the new strip malls)
      - wwos? who cares about that? It's purpose is to help fill hotel rooms and sell discount convention like ticket blocks
      - the pet kennel? yeah, that'll keep 'em coming!

The reality is the gauntlet in the entertainment department has been thrown down - the heart and soul of the WDW experience - and the best Disney has right now is StarTours2 and the FL expansion. The rest is fluff aimed at increasing short term money by selling off property and rebooting stagnant or failed ventures.

Sounds more like the dying days of the Roman Empire then the start of the Renaissance to me.

The turning point will be as what we see coming out of the MK FL expansion and if the leadership is willing to invest at that level in ENTERTAINMENT for the property.

The lure of making money off other people's work through royalities, leasing, and letting third parties operate on property is just too great compared to the thing Disney grew up on - creating world class entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
        Because you're comparing Apples and Oranges. The capital for building something like E:E is amortized over decades. No one expects any of these capital investments to have ROI in just a handful of years. These type of 9 digit expenses are intended to be the foundations for decades worth of revenue from the people these attractions help attract.

A list dominated by
        - malls
        - DVC and value to slightly moderate resorts
        - 'new' resturants which aren't really additions but simple reboots because the last guys pulled out
        - projects bringing more outside things closer to the parks and taking away from the buffer (the private homes and the new strip malls)
        - wwos? who cares about that? It's purpose is to help fill hotel rooms and sell discount convention like ticket blocks

The reality is the gauntlet in the entertainment department has been thrown down - the heart and soul of the WDW experience - and the best Disney has right now is StarTours2 and the FL expansion. The rest is fluff aimed at increasing short term money by selling off property and rebooting stagnant or failed ventures.

Sounds more like the dying days of the Roman Empire then the start of the Renaissance to me.

The turning point will be as what we see coming out of the MK FL expansion and if the leadership is willing to invest at that level in ENTERTAINMENT for the property.

The lure of making money off other people's work through royalities, leasing, and letting third parties operate on property is just too great compared to the thing Disney grew up on - creating world class entertainment.
        touche. I KingEric tip my hat to you.
        Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

DTD-Hyperion Wharf- Sure some of us may not like it but it is a vast improvement over what has been there for at least 2 years now. Along with it we shall see many new shoppes and restaurants and few other goodies.

There are rumors of major shake-ups within the WestEnd that will change the whole feel of this area. We also know we're getting an expanded Lego store and a remodeled AMC.

MK-An expanded Fantasyland with at least one new ride and rumors of a few more. We're also getting an amazing new restaurant and some nice Meet&Greets. If Winnie the Pooh is any hint at whats to come we will be getting one amazing Fantasyland.

We're also seeing little enhancements throughout the park and this should continue for awhile. (I personally hope that the Speedway dies a quick death and is replaced by some of the much cooler attractions like the ones found in Tokyo)

EPCOT-lots of rumors including new lands and rides. (My vote is for Saudi Arabia, Spain and Brazil.)
          I think the recent Shanghai Expo shows what countries are willing to do to showcase themselves. This needs to be where World Showcase needs to focus. Each of the countries pavilions at the Expo had multiple events, restaurants, and some even had rides (Switzerland by far had one of the most memorable pavilions) Why can't EPOCT have this also? I suspect that future countries will not only expect it but demand it.

This year alone at EPCOT we got two great new restaurants that are highly themed and have quality chefs at the helm.

DHS-Star Tours 2 is on the way and from the rumors it sounds pretty good. There are rumors of a Monsters, Inc. coaster on the way, along with CarsLand similar to what DCA. This would add at least 2 or 3 rides in itself. The Ratatouille ride may also be on the way (I personally would prefer to see this at EPCOT but the chances of that happening are pretty slim).

There are also rumors of a remake to Great Movie Ride and Indiana Jones. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Tron ride come to the park, along with at least one other D ticket ride.

AK-Lots of rumors, none which seem to be true. But within the next ten years I'm sure we'll see at least a few of them come true. Here we can expect whole new lands with multiple rides and attractions.

Hotels- Art of Animation has been confirmed. Rumors of a new California themed one between Fort Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge. We just got the Bay Lake Tower.

Other items-
          An expansion at the Wide World of Sports is about to get started.

A amazing new pet Kennel just opened on the property, Golden Oaks is being built with the world class 4 Seasons at the heart of it.

Flamingo Crossing seems to be on the back burner but is sure to open within the next ten years (and remember this is where Dixie Stampede is supposedly going).

We also know of a new shopping area being built on 192 itself.

Transportation-
          A huge new High Speed Rail station is on the way (as long as Scott keeps his hands off this project) that will give Disney a major I-4 presence.

WDW also just hired Samuel Lau away from San Fransisco. Now let's think about this. Why would they hire one of the top transportation directors in the nation to run a bunch of buses. He is well known in the industry due to his numerous studies and projects involving everything from Bus Rapid Transit to Personal Rapid Transit. He is still figuring out the problems at WDW but he was hired for what he knows and thats light rail and BRTs. So I expect a major overhaul of the transit system within the next few years. This overhaul will include light rail connecting most of the resorts and parks, BRT lanes throughout the property, and hopefully an expanded boat service.

So with all this happening I would definitely say YES we not only on the verge (or edge if you wish) of a WDW Renaissance we are in fact in the midst of it.

As far as the management goes I expect some shake ups sooner than later, Burbank can't be happy about the contract negotiations, the complaints, and the flat attendance. Instead of an all one time overhaul they seem to be slowly and with little fanfare going through a replacing or at least waking up the east coast suits.

By 2021 WDW will look entirely different!
          Hyperion Wharf is a improvement over what they have had for two years??? Thats jacked up considering what they have had for two years is a closed Pleasure Island. Please compare HW to PI when it was opened, verus when it was closed. We need not encourage TDO to close something just long enough that we'll take anything over nothing, which is exactly what is happening with HW.... "Well its better then nothing." where nothing equals whats been there since PI has closed its clubs.

The you list a long list or Rumors, which while great, I will remind what way more then half of the rumors will remain just that.... rumors. Never to be reality. Sorry, just the truth. If you really think ALL those projects for Epcot are going to happen.... phew, your in for heart ache.

I think Samual Lau was just a well quailfied guy that wanted to move to florida and Disney happen to have a right fit job. I don't think is a sign that Disney is going to build light rails anywhere. Assuming Monorail would be more expensive, which from what I understand at WDW where right of way cost are not a issue, it would NOT be more expensive, but assuming it is..... I would guess if Disney is going to spend the $$$ on the extra to expand monorail rather then add light rail simply for long term cost and that fact that light rail gets in a lot of accidents with street traffic. But I really don't think it will spend the money on either.

Of all the rumors listed above, the only one I think is truley coming down the pipe to reality? Monsters Inc Doors Coaster.

Comment

Anything is better for Downtown Disney right now than having a ghost town in between two shopping/dining areas. Hyperion Wharf will bring them all together...even if it's in a non creative fashion with third party businesses.

But hey, look at this way...at least we're not paying admission fees for this mediocre experience. :P

Comment

The high speed rail is nothing to bank on. There's a real chance it'll get killed, with plenty of contractors still getting paid of course. Even if it doesn't, it may not be cost effective to ride, taking into account fees, overall travel time, and inconvenience once you reach your destination. Don't take this as a political jab: Our local public transportation sucks, and without it mass public transportation between metro areas doesn't have a leg to stand on.

If you're a Florida resident, you just gave up your car and have to get around Tampa or Orlando without it (Have fun). If you're coming from out of state... You're going to fly into TPA or MCO, whichever is your destination.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Deep View Post
                The high speed rail is nothing to bank on. There's a real chance it'll get killed, with plenty of contractors still getting paid of course. Even if it doesn't, it may not be cost effective to ride, taking into account fees, overall travel time, and inconvenience once you reach your destination. Don't take this as a political jab: Our local public transportation sucks, and without it mass public transportation between metro areas doesn't have a leg to stand on.

If you're a Florida resident, you just gave up your car and have to get around Tampa or Orlando without it (Have fun). If you're coming from out of state... You're going to fly into TPA or MCO, whichever is your destination.
                I am a huge advocate of the High Speed Rail. We need to tie our main tourist hubs together. That way we as Florida as a whole can truly compete on the world stage. We need to be able to offer the Chic Nightlife of Miami with the Family Fun of Orlando, with the Peaceful Beaches of the Gulf. We need to be a destination that international tourists want to spend a month at, and we need to make it as easy as possible for them.

Comment

WDW problems are the same that it always was. They need to completely re-think their approach and start anew.

1. Too many parks. Let's be honest. 4 parks is too many. There isn't enough ideas and money to support 4 parks. Its becoming more clear that 2 parks is ideal. At some point, people will just visit 1 or 2 parks and skip the rest. That's what I've done.

2. Disney is out of ideas. They haven't come up with anything new for a long long time. They are tired. And we are too.

3. Universal has upped the standards again. This happens when Disney stopped innovating the big rides. Maybe they innovated in the soft spots like interactive entertainment and shows.

4. Crowd control is the biggest customer service problem at the parks. It's simply unpleasant to visit at times. It's inconsistent and horribly managed.

Comment

Originally posted by StevenW View Post
                    WDW problems are the same that it always was. They need to completely re-think their approach and start anew.

1. Too many parks. Let's be honest. 4 parks is too many. There isn't enough ideas and money to support 4 parks. Its becoming more clear that 2 parks is ideal. At some point, people will just visit 1 or 2 parks and skip the rest. That's what I've done.
                    I see the problem with there being 4 parks in that only 2 parks MK and epcot are really full day parks hollywood studios needs a major overhaul and animal kingdom needs a few more attractions and they would draw more.
                    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                      Sounds more like the dying days of the Roman Empire then the start of the Renaissance to me....

Bingo.
                      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                      - Michael Eisner

Comment

Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post
                        I see the problem with there being 4 parks in that only 2 parks MK and epcot are really full day parks hollywood studios needs a major overhaul and animal kingdom needs a few more attractions and they would draw more.
                        Whenever I see a statement like this, that person immediately loses all credibility with me. Animal Kingdom and Hollywood are indeed full day parks (especially Animal Kingdom). Stop repeating and perpetuating this untruth. Develop your own thoughts and opinions. You can start doing that by taking the time to explore all that each park has to offer.

I can make a list of every attraction in these parks if you want to see what you've been missing. Sorry, conformist attitudes piss me off. Ah, now I feel better.
                        http://twitter.com/wdwprince

http://youtube.com/wdwprince

Comment

Originally posted by StevenW View Post

2. Disney is out of ideas. They haven't come up with anything new for a long long time. They are tired. And we are too.

3. Universal has upped the standards again. This happens when Disney stopped innovating the big rides. Maybe they innovated in the soft spots like interactive entertainment and shows.

4. Crowd control is the biggest customer service problem at the parks. It's simply unpleasant to visit at times. It's inconsistent and horribly managed.
                          #4 is the real biggie here. The others though are debatable.

I dont think the problem is that they have too many parks. In fact I think for now 4 parks is perfect. The problem lies in how these parks are being utilized.

I think the public expect rides to be a major staple at all four parks but for this has not been the case. In fact I made a list of all the rides in each of the four parks. Take all the rides in Epcot, DHS, and DAK and they equal to almost the same number of rides in Magic Kingdom. It never occured to me how few rides Epcot had in comparison to MK until I listed them. In fact I also did a Disneyland list and there are twice as many rides in Fantasyland alone than there are in either DHS or DAK.

Yes there are other attractions like shows but management is utilizing all the parks (treating their entertainment purposes) differently while at the same time catergorizing them all the same and making the people pay the same admission price for every park.

Epcot is more about education, learning and cultural exploration. DHS is about stage and screen entertainment. DAK is about seeing animals. Rides seem to be second staple for these three parks. It's not a bad thing to have these different elements to a park but without the rides and major attractions (like 4D shows), you present a whole mess of problems such as crowding and long attraction lines. It also segregates the separate purposes that each park serves instead of using their unique themes to be on the same level of the Magic Kingdom in both immersion and entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by toonaspie View Post
                            #4 is the real biggie here. The others though are debatable.

I dont think the problem is that they have too many parks. In fact I think for now 4 parks is perfect. The problem lies in how these parks are being utilized.

I think the public expect rides to be a major staple at all four parks but for this has not been the case. In fact I made a list of all the rides in each of the four parks. Take all the rides in Epcot, DHS, and DAK and they equal to almost the same number of rides in Magic Kingdom. It never occured to me how few rides Epcot had in comparison to MK until I listed them. In fact I also did a Disneyland list and there are twice as many rides in Fantasyland alone than there are in either DHS or DAK.

Yes there are other attractions like shows but management is utilizing all the parks (treating their entertainment purposes) differently while at the same time catergorizing them all the same and making the people pay the same admission price for every park.

Epcot is more about education, learning and cultural exploration. DHS is about stage and screen entertainment. DAK is about seeing animals. Rides seem to be second staple for these three parks. It's not a bad thing to have these different elements to a park but without the rides and major attractions (like 4D shows), you present a whole mess of problems such as crowding and long attraction lines. It also segregates the separate purposes that each park serves instead of using their unique themes to be on the same level of the Magic Kingdom in both immersion and entertainment.
                            Your comment on the educational aspects of EPCOT can apply to DAK and Studios. Education is boring. That's why I think the parks seem stale. Its a bit like visiting a boring lecture with Ben Stein. Disney should have known by now on presenting information in an interesting way without being cerebral. I have 2 degrees, but on vacation, I don't exactly process information in the same way. I do turn it off my calculating mind whether deliberately or inadvertently. Their parks should be entertaining all the way.

Which leads to your comment about rides.... The other parks (EPCOT, DAK, Studios) are severely lacking in rides. To fill this gap, Disney has lots of shows. Hey, this doesn't make up for the lack of rides. Watching one show each in the morning, day, and night might sound fun, but it isn't. I really don't want to watch more than 2 shows per day. I'd rather visit a ride. These parks lack the REALLY REALLY BIG RIDES. You might say its debateable, but Disney doesn't have anything comparable to Universal's newest Harry Potter and Spider-Man rides. Disney's existing E-Tickets are a bit of a letdown. Look at what they did with Space Mountain, such a half-baked improvement with the laughable sound system installation. Same with Test Track, a great idea, but money spent on a flawed track system than on the show itself.

Disney needs new ideas. They should at least consider new rides with the Star Wars property. Only Star Wars is comparable to the Harry Potter fan base. They should create a new Star Wars land and maybe another Indiana Jones ride. How about another Pirates of the Carribean ride?

I still think 4 parks is too many. Coming from Southern California, the 2 parks here have the rides from the 4 parks in Florida, at least the best ones. Why even bother visiting all 4 parks? On my next visit, I might only visit EPCOT and DAK. There is no compelling reason to visit the Magic Kingdom and the Studios parks. I will use the remaining time to visit Universal and maybe the Space Center. Disney needs to spend more time and money to make each park feel really special so visitors have a compelling reason to visit. Somehow, the marque attraction is missing. It is one big blur.

Comment

I think the biggest thing Walt Disney Parks and Resorts need to focus on for future development is this one simple rule: NO MORE CLONES. I want a unique, exclusive, premium experience, especially if I am being charged for one.

Comment

Originally posted by Smidgen View Post
                                Hyperion Wharf is a improvement over what they have had for two years??? Thats jacked up considering what they have had for two years is a closed Pleasure Island. Please compare HW to PI when it was opened, verus when it was closed. We need not encourage TDO to close something just long enough that we'll take anything over nothing, which is exactly what is happening with HW.... "Well its better then nothing." where nothing equals whats been there since PI has closed its clubs.

The you list a long list or Rumors, which while great, I will remind what way more then half of the rumors will remain just that.... rumors. Never to be reality. Sorry, just the truth. If you really think ALL those projects for Epcot are going to happen.... phew, your in for heart ache.

I think Samual Lau was just a well qualified guy that wanted to move to Florida and Disney happen to have a right fit job. I don't think is a sign that Disney is going to build light rails anywhere. Assuming Monorail would be more expensive, which from what I understand at WDW where right of way cost are not a issue, it would NOT be more expensive, but assuming it is..... I would guess if Disney is going to spend the $$$ on the extra to expand monorail rather then add light rail simply for long term cost and that fact that light rail gets in a lot of accidents with street traffic. But I really don't think it will spend the money on either.

Of all the rumors listed above, the only one I think is truley coming down the pipe to reality? Monsters Inc Doors Coaster.
                                I do think Lau was chosen for a reason. They offered him way too much money (His records in California are public and Disney had to offer him at least that to convince him to move) just to have anybody in there. He was being noticed in San Fran and some people were talking about him moving to Washington to join LaHood. Lau gave that up for a reason. I think that reason is to prove something, something that can't be proven in the politically driven public sector.

As far as the light rail I was speaking of I envision one that is separate from cars. It would be on its own track, just like the monorail. The monorail cost a lot of money and from my understand has issues due to its weight in some parts of the property (such as property between MK and AK). Light rail is a cheaper way to do expansion due to its low overhead and its lower initial costs.

What I am actually surprised Disney has yet to do is put in Bus Dedicated lanes (think Lymmo in downtown Orlando) that would keep the buses in their own safe lanes away from all the crazy tourist who for some reason forget how to drive the minute their plane touches down at MCO.

As far as the rumors go I expect something big at Epcot because 1) They seem to be doing all the small updates around the park to prepare for it, such as increasing dining options and improving check-out at Mice Gears. 2) Many of the older and less popular rides seem to be costing more than they are worth. I expect an update at the Imagination pavilion along with a major new sponsorship within the next few years. The long awaited film update at Soarin' should be coming out about then also.
                                wwos? who cares about that? It's purpose is to help fill hotel rooms and sell discount convention like ticket blocks

Comment

Originally posted by KingEric View Post
                                  I think the biggest thing Walt Disney Parks and Resorts need to focus on for future development is this one simple rule: NO MORE CLONES. I want a unique, exclusive, premium experience, especially if I am being charged for one.
                                  This...

IF we are on the edge of a WDW renaissance then I really want to see more unique experiences that I would ONLY be able to get at WDW no where else. I can go anywhere to spend my vacation dollars and I wish to get what I feel is my moneys worth out of each dollar, espescially if I'm paying premium prices for it..

But on the other hand I'm not so sure if we are on the edge of a major renaissance or not, I'd like to see what the FLE finished project, as well as some of these rumors become concrete plans and reality before I pass judgement on whether we are on our way to a true renaissance moreso than as someone else put it, the collapse of the Roman Empire.
                                  The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
                                  -George S. Patton

Comment

I don't know why people think hiring a new transportation guy means some breakthrough model. I see it as hiring someone to come in, clean up, and stop making transportation a liability to the company after a progressive climb of minor events that evevated eventually to deaths on property.

IMHO - they brought in an outsider to shape it up.

Comment

I do think Lau was chosen for a reason. They offered him way too much money (His records in California are public and Disney had to offer him at least that to convince him to move) just to have anybody in there. He was being noticed in San Fran and some people were talking about him moving to Washington to join LaHood. Lau gave that up for a reason. I think that reason is to prove something, something that can't be proven in the politically driven public sector.

As far as the light rail I was speaking of I envision one that is separate from cars. It would be on its own track, just like the monorail. The monorail cost a lot of money and from my understand has issues due to its weight in some parts of the property (such as property between MK and AK). Light rail is a cheaper way to do expansion due to its low overhead and its lower initial costs.

What I am actually surprised Disney has yet to do is put in Bus Dedicated lanes (think Lymmo in downtown Orlando) that would keep the buses in their own safe lanes away from all the crazy tourist who for some reason forget how to drive the minute their plane touches down at MCO.

As far as the rumors go I expect something big at Epcot because 1) They seem to be doing all the small updates around the park to prepare for it, such as increasing dining options and improving check-out at Mice Gears. 2) Many of the older and less popular rides seem to be costing more than they are worth. I expect an update at the Imagination pavilion along with a major new sponsorship within the next few years. The long awaited film update at Soarin' should be coming out about then also.

Truthfully I miss XS, its rooftop foam parties and the old Pointe Orlando much more than I miss PI. The Point Orlando transition is what Pleasure Island is trying to do. Shift from tourist clubs to upscale (read higher profits) entertainment. Sure Pointe Orlando is still trying to find its footing but the last few times I've ate there the restaurants seemed pretty busy.

Your off track here. Light rail was nothing to do with the weight of the trains. "light" is a referance to the size and capcity of the trains, not the weight of the trains or the track.

The "upgrades" at Epcot have nothing to do with getting perpared for a new attraction. They are routine, and they are happening all across property. Emporium has also been tweaked in the same way, your reading far too much into that and taking routine and very basic maintenance as signs that some of the thing things you want to be true, are about to become true.

I do agree PI was way past its prime, but that in large part was Disney Create. New Years Eve shows were down sized to a DJ coming out and pushing a button that launched an underwhelming 20 second long fireworks show. Entertainment inside the clubs were eliminated, such as the dance show Manniquinns had. And yet PI surived of the shadow of the its former greatness until Disney shut it down. They could have made it mainstream again, they choose not to. They did the generic "we have something planned, so just wait and see" and then because they really had nothing at all planned, kept it all but completely shuttered for two years. No they release HW and any hope of there being any real innovation in night time entertainment is completely lost. Its a completely "been there done that" concept of "more shopping and dinning." There is not one once of true Innovation in the entire concept.

Comment

Efficiency & marketing, baby!

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
                                        Simply, no.
                                        Don't worry,
                                        the marketeers will bring 'em ("guests" Heh, heh! Snort!) in
                                        and efficiency will do more for the quarterly bottom line
                                        than imagination.

But wait, how about we create something even more inspired
                                        than Universal's Harry Potter offering?

Hmmm.

Naaah.

Universal Orlando lacks Disneyland's (Michael Ovitz inspired) neat area with entrances to both parks, but it has the excellent scale of Anaheim's Disneyland. Two parks, three hotels, a shopping/entertainment areas with movie theaters and even the non-Smurf Blue Men. Tokyo Disneyland also demonstrates that two great parks can be sufficiently wonderful.

Walt Disney World is too spread out for its insufficient bus system that is the envy of Detroit. And Waltless Disney World gouges its guests with food prices that make some of us feel captive without cars. (I did rent one last visit, but I'd rather take a freaky intraWDW subway, super-high-speed gondola, or rocket boat when I'm on vacation.) Driving and taking busses are not magical within a resort.

Connect WDW's large hotels and parks with more unusual and convenient transportation systems.

Steve Jobs, you are by far Disney's biggest stockholder. You may be one of the few capitalists who has had a Walt Disney-sized impact on society in the last 30 years. While Bill Gates and Michael Dell dreamed about market share, you always stuck with quality and innovation, and now Apple is bigger than Microsoft. Quitting the game and then doing good like Gates, Carnegie, Ford and Rockefeller? No, like Walt Disney and Thomas Edison, you understand that capitalism itself can bring wonders, and not just money to rectify its shortcomings. Bring back Steve Wozniak, Mike Dhuey and other geniuses you know to brainstorm about long-term improvements at Walt Disney World.

--Tom Sinsky
                                        Last edited by jcruise86; 12-12-2010, 05:44 AM. Reason: to emphasize the importance of MARKETING

Comment

Working...
                                        X