Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

Disney to start playing nasty with Universal?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Disney to start playing nasty with Universal?

I just really don't want to see Marvel characters in a Disney park. It would ruin the ambiance for me.

Comment

They can just retheme all the rides but Spiderman....it would be a HUGE lost for Spiderman but Potter will make up for it.
      Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

I wouldn't care if Disney bought out Universal. I don't really like Universal's parks anyway.
        Last edited by CaptainEO,ATIS; 12-04-2010, 10:45 PM.

Comment

This sounds like it might be true... makes a lot more sense than waiting for Universal to violate the contract and lose it, anyway. What I don't understand is why Disney paid so many billions of stockholder dollars for a company that has already had all of its best franchises made into movies in recent years, whose theme park rights are held by another company, and who generally doesn't fit the Disney image that well.

Originally posted by Santana View Post
          I just really don't want to see Marvel characters in a Disney park. It would ruin the ambiance for me.
          Agreed. Don't count on that stopping Disney though.

Comment

Times like this, I really miss the Power Rangers. Compared to the Punisher and Deathpool, they really fit the bill and were a much simpler buy.....all they had to do was better marketing. Marvel has cartoons on every childs channel (exagerating) it already has movies made by all these different companies, video games, themepark and merchendising everywhere. When I heared of the buy, i thought you had to be an idiot to do that.......I still do. Now the Rangers are probably gonna end up at Universal.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkTwain View Post
              What I don't understand is why Disney paid so many billions of stockholder dollars for a company that has already had all of its best franchises made into movies in recent years, whose theme park rights are held by another company, and who generally doesn't fit the Disney image that well.
              Because Disney is no longer primarily interested in generating new content, but in managing brands. It's a marketing company, not a creative one.
              Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
              Charter Member

Comment

Believe me, this is one issue, where I am keeping my ear VERY close to the ground. There are rumblings all around town about this.
                Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
                  I wish I still had the link but concept images of a Marvel Park blew my mind when I saw them.
                  I saw that it was a DC park with Batman and some Superman theme.

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyMoose View Post
                    I saw that it was a DC park with Batman and some Superman theme.
                    Here is the old concept art for the Gotham City Island at Islands of Adventure

a pretty sweet land

Comment

Originally posted by celticdar View Post
                      I don't know if this is true or not, but reading that blurb makes me question the "nasty" part. If Disney is intent on buying out the theme park rights and the term "buying out" still means what it used to mean in business (one party making an offer to purchase something, the second party agreeing or renegotiating another price, both parties coming to an amiable agreement and money changing hands to close the deal), then this would hardly be a hostile takeover. Now, the arm twisting and forceful conversations over the terms would be a different matter entirely. It might be interesting to be a fly on the wall for that. As long as Disney is willing to pay a fair price for those rights, and aren't trying to con their way through the negotiations, this sounds like business as usual.
                      Originally posted by Broadway Guru View Post
                      Go look up "DL Hotel monorail station." Learn the story of how Disney got Wrather Corp to sell the hotel. These people don't care how many enemies they make or how many bridges they burn in getting what they want. That's why "Roger Rabbit 2" never got made. That's why it took 25 years to get Star Tours updated. That's how Dreamworks got started. How DCA got made. Why Disney's been coasting on its name for the last 15 years. Michael Eisner and his ilk were so proud they would rather let the talent walk out the door and build its ideas for the competition than admit somebody else might have a better idea.
                      Originally posted by Wikipedia
                      Disney takes over
                      When Michael Eisner became chairman and CEO of Walt Disney Productions in 1984, he wanted to get out of Disney's agreement with the Wrather Corporation and bring the Disneyland Hotel under the Walt Disney Company's umbrella. Wrather refused to sell, just as he had refused Walt Disney many years before. Wrather died two months after Eisner took over at Disney, and five years later, in 1989, Disney bought the entire Wrather company. At the time Wrather's company also owned the RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach, Calif., the Spruce Goose, The Lone Ranger and the Lassie TV series. Though Disney kept the hotel, it has since sold the other assets that came with the purchase.
                      Just in case someone wants to be lazy and NOT look it up, but I can't see this move making Disney any more money, at this point I'm waiting on WDC to just try and completely buy Universal Studios theme parks and all....
                      The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
                      -George S. Patton

Comment

[QUOTE=ORD84;1056353792 I'm waiting on WDC to just try and completely buy Universal Studios theme parks and all....[/QUOTE]

I would think that as a possibility if Blackstone didn't own half of them, and SeaWorld/Discovery Cove/Aquaitca/Bush Gardens/Adventure Island, and the soon to open Lego Land

Comment

Originally posted by Broadway Guru View Post
                          Originally posted by MarkTwain View Post
                          What I don't understand is why Disney paid so many billions of stockholder dollars for a company that has already had all of its best franchises made into movies in recent years, whose theme park rights are held by another company, and who generally doesn't fit the Disney image that well.
                          Because Disney is no longer primarily interested in generating new content, but in managing brands. It's a marketing company, not a creative one.
                          Bingo.
                          "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                          it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                          together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                          designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                          - Michael Eisner

Comment

Originally posted by ORD84 View Post
                            Just in case someone wants to be lazy and NOT look it up, but I can't see this move making Disney any more money, at this point I'm waiting on WDC to just try and completely buy Universal Studios theme parks and all....
                            Wikipedia missed the most interesting part of the story. Wrather Corp refused to sell even after Wrather died. At that time, they paid a small fee to Disney for monorail service to the hotel. Disney threatened to raise this fee so high that the hotel would have been forced to discontinue the service, losing a major selling point. They sold.

That was my point about playing nasty. Once Disney decides it wants something, the end justifies the means. This started w/ Michael Eisner, who had a way of turning everything into a peeing contest. It cost Disney their working relationships w/ Lucas and Speilberg.
                            Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
                            Charter Member

Comment

Working...
                            X