This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] More Alice in Disney

I have been an avid Alice In Wonderland fan since I can remember, the animated version of course. It seems like until the recent Burton/Depp movie there hasn't been much publicity or merch for Alice. Does anybody think that with the new fanbase, while not the same as the animated but still fanbase, of the Burton/Depp film that more merch will be made and possibly more than just the Tea Cups as an attraction.

While I think it is a long shot as Disney seems heavily Princess obsessed I still hope that maybe one day Alice will step up from behind the Princess' shadows.
    "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

Re: More Alice in Disney

I would prefer to see the animated Alice in Magic Kingdom while the Tim Burton one could be kept at Hollywood Studios. This would help with both marketing and confusion as many of todays visitors may sadly not know that there was an animated film. I have long wished for a east coast version of the Alice ride or maybe a MK version of the labyrinth found at Disneyland Paris. Though I must admit that while exploring the labyrinth I was bored.

This could leave Hollywood Studios to have a great E-ticket based on the movie. I would love to see a huge new ride based around the movie. (Has there been any PERMANENT attractions based around a Tim Burton film?) I'm hoping for something as big as Spider-Man. Imagine what they could do with 3D video and live special effects.

Of course the animated Alice could also fit into EPCOT also if they wanted a larger area to market the merchandise.

Comment

I would personally love to have more Alice, and I think it would definitely fit somewhere in one of your described areas.

Comment

I agree that MK should equally represent "Alice" and other animated favorites just as much as the princesses.

At one point, there was even a Walrus walkaround that I fondly remember on postcards in the 1980's! At MGM (back in the early 90's)...you could add your own voice to a clip of the Cheshire Cat from the movie.

It's "curiouser and curiouser" why we haven't seen 'as much' "Alice" walkaround representation aside from she, the Queen & The Mad Hatter. There ARE the Walrus, Tweedles Dee and Dum and the White Rabbit...but have they been retired? They have not been as prevalent. I'd also vote to see Caterpillar (although I don't know how), The March Hare, and the Dodo Bird.

As far as attractions go, it would be interesting to see a dark ride/thrill ride combination that really plays on the "trippy" theme with inverted tracks, steep drops, advanced AAs, waterfall flume (for "Caucus Race/Walrus & Carpenter" scene), and interactive components.

The soundtrack is one of my favorites, especially "A-E-I-O-U", "Caucus Race", and "Painting the Roses Red".

It should be interesting to see what happens in the Fantasyland expansion. You never know, considering all the constant revisions that add and subtract. I'm still very vocally adamant about seeing attractions/rides/walkaround representation based around "Fantasia", "Sword and the Stone", "Robin Hood" and "Bedknobs and Broomsticks".

Comment

I think part of the reason why Alice hasn't been represented very well is because while the characters have made a name for themselves in the parks, Walt himself did not like the movie. Although I may be wrong on this, I don't think it did very well in theatres either so the fact that the characters did so well was surprising. I've also heard that often kids will mistake Alice for Cinderella so the movie must not be that popular even today.
          With that being said, I do love this movie. It's not my favorite, that will probably always be Hunchback, but it's definitely in the top ten and due to the success of the characters it would be nice to see more representation of them in the parks. I think Alice and Peter Pan characters are probably the most pictured/youtubed characters in the parks.
          ryran75- The Tweedles and White Rabbit come out with the Wonderland Unit in Disneyland (Mad Hatter, Alice, Tweedle Dee, Tweedle Dum, White Rabbit, and Queen of Hearts). I've been to Disney World a ton and I've only seen Hatters, Alices, and the White Rabbit (only once though). I'm sure the Tweedles and Queen do exist down there, but I've personally never seen them. I have never seen any representation of a Walrus, so I'm pretty sure that one has been retired.

Comment

Disneyland has an Alice Dark ride as well as the tea cups and a themed hatter shop.

Comment

I was referring to Disney World's lack of Alice. Forgot to specify that!
              I've never been to Disneyland so I wasn't sure what their representation was. Disney World only has the teacups, and Alice also does meet and greets in Epcot's United Kingdom but that's pretty much it. As far as merchandise goes, there's very little. I don't think we even have a hat shop but I'm not sure about that as I don't shop on Main Street.

Comment

Originally posted by Dlandclub33 View Post
                Disneyland has an Alice Dark ride as well as the tea cups and a themed hatter shop.
                Yes, fortunately there is a lot of representation at Disneyland but sadly the WDW parks aren't as fortunate.

I too, have Alice as my favorite character and over the years I've found various things for her but not to the extend that other characters are featured.

I have quite a bit of luck in the United Kingdom Pavilion at Epcot, with both the character meets and merchandise. Everything else is related to tea and that's available in most of the stores in any park or location.

However, my favorite story is also Alice in Wonderland so I've embraced any incarnation of the story and even enjoy the newest AiW for the book references. (When Johnny quoted the part about the Jabberwocky I was in literary heaven)

So they do exist but its a little more difficult to find the original movie character, especially with the rebranding.

Oh and there is a hat shop on MS but its not as representative as it should be :/

Comment

Disneyland's Alice dark ride is still the coolest. I miss it terribly at WDW. More Alice! More dark rides!

Comment

Still, having one attraction and a few characters who appear around the parks still makes Alice much more represented in WDW than an awful lot of other animated features.

Comment

Alice has it good compared to characters from such movies as Tarzan, Mulan, Pocahontas, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Incredibles, Pinocchio, Rescuers, Great Mouse Detective.......

Comment

the Magic Kingdom so needs an Alice Dark ride (relocate pooh to the United Kingdom Pavilion in Epcot and put an Alice dark ride in it's place.) the Alice Dark ride could be based off of Disney's Animated or Tim Burton's.

Timekeeper
                        sigpicNow the Tower of Sauron has fallen
                        Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

Comment

Originally posted by harpist1991 View Post
                          I think part of the reason why Alice hasn't been represented very well is because while the characters have made a name for themselves in the parks, Walt himself did not like the movie. Although I may be wrong on this, I don't think it did very well in theatres either so the fact that the characters did so well was surprising.
                          From an excellent wikipedia article -

Disney was not surprised by the critical reception to Alice in Wonderland - his version of Alice was intended for large family audiences, not literary critics - but despite all the long years of thought and effort, the film met with a lukewarm response at the box office and was a sharp disappointment in its initial release.

More here -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_i...and_(1951_film)

Comment

Pocahontas needs something in Animal Kingdom. I know she does meet and greets in the Conservation Station and she has a little show, but Animal Kingdom could use another big ride since they only have the dinosaur one and Expedition Everest.

Comment

Originally posted by Timekeeper View Post
                              the Magic Kingdom so needs an Alice Dark ride (relocate pooh to the United Kingdom Pavilion in Epcot and put an Alice dark ride in it's place.) the Alice Dark ride could be based off of Disney's Animated or Tim Burton's.

Timekeeper
                              I would love this idea IF I thought they would scrap the existing footprint and start completely over. The part of Pooh that used to be where you hit the train (when it was Toad) bothers me every time I go through it. Anyway, they just tricked out the Pooh queue, so this idea is never happening.

How about where they are taking at Snow White? Or somewhere in the expansion?

Comment

@ harpist 1991 dont worry im working on that in the DIP now that im back from my concussion hope you check it out some time

and no need to take anything all the way to epcot, i think theres a nice big temporary meet and greet thats dying for a dark ride to reside in it once more with snow white moving. unfortunately i dont think a double representation for alice would be a good idea, maybe a cheshire cat shop selling goods from both movies but there are other ideas that need the space.

Comment

I was at MK yesterday, and I only saw Alice & the Mad Hatter in the parade. Otherwise, they were nowhere to be found in the park.

Not even a Meet N' Greet at the Mad Teacups.

I still am campaigning for more visibility of Walrus, White Rabbit, the Tweedles, Queen of Hearts, Caterpillar, March Hare, Dodo Bird, etc.

How fun (but uncomfortable- costume wise) would it be for a "live" caterpillar to be lounging on a giant leaf with a hookah making children "recite 'You are Old Father William'..." and making wisecracks?

Comment

Also, I noticed the "Alice" tea that was sold at the Emporium on Main Street including "Tweedle Dee and Tweedle YUM". It ran for $8.95 for a pack (dont kow how many bags or looseleaf you got).

I know it's not typically 'child engaging' but a child FRIENDLY tea shop would be nice in the revised Fantasyland and could have Meet N' Greets with British based Disney favorites including Alice/Hatter/Hare & other Wonderland characters, along with Mary Poppins, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ryran75 View Post
                                      I was at MK yesterday, and I only saw Alice & the Mad Hatter in the parade. Otherwise, they were nowhere to be found in the park.

Not even a Meet N' Greet at the Mad Teacups.

I still am campaigning for more visibility of Walrus, White Rabbit, the Tweedles, Queen of Hearts, Caterpillar, March Hare, Dodo Bird, etc.

How fun (but uncomfortable- costume wise) would it be for a "live" caterpillar to be lounging on a giant leaf with a hookah making children "recite 'You are Old Father William'..." and making wisecracks?
                                      That does sound like a lot of fun! I would definitely talk with him for awhile. The last time I went to Disney World, the Mad Hatter didn't come out (I don't think he was even in the parade) however I did see Alice and the White Rabbit in the Magic Kingdom and then just Alice in Epcot.

Comment

Originally posted by lily23 View Post
                                        How about where they are taking at Snow White? Or somewhere in the expansion?
                                        Unless they keep that princess meet and greet for 20 years like they did with toontown, i suspect that snow white will be replaced by either Tangled, Pinocchio, Alice in Wonderland, or Sleeping Beauty. Tangled has a good shot, because it's a recent film and I actually think that if any ride was built for Tangled, it would be a dark ride. I would love to see Pinocchio have a ride at Magic Kingdom and it would definitely give Fantasyland more things for boys to ride, but the problem is that it would be on the opposite side of the carousel from his restaurant. If the Belle storybook time had been replaced with a Pinocchio dark ride, I think this would be more likely to happen. The same issue goes with Alice in Wonderland taking up the space. It would be great to put in, but it would be on the opposite side of Pooh Bear from the Tea Cups. They would have to do some major rerouting of the entire area surrounding the tea cups for Alice to have another ride close to the tea cups. As for Sleeping Beauty, it was an originally planned ride for the park in the first place. I can't think of anything in the park that has to do with Sleeping Beauty and giving her a ride would definitely fill the void there. They wanted to have something Aurora in the expansion in the first place.

EDIT: I know that there are a ton of people who would like to see Mr. Toad make a comeback. The reason I left him off my list of possibilities, is because IMO, Mr. Toad WILL NOT be brought back. There may be a ton of people who want it back, but I just can't see Disney actually bringing it back after only 10 years. Go ahead and rant all you want about how great Mr. Toad is, but that's not going to change MY opinion on the ride. It may have been a great ride, but as Walt Disney once said, and I'm quoting this very loosely, "as long as there are dreams in this world, Disneyland will never be complete." And that applies to any Disney park.

So what does everyone think of my predictions?
                                        Last edited by Stitch626626; 02-26-2011, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X