Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

Ideas on how WDW can compete w/ Potter (Star Wars?)

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ideas on how WDW can compete w/ Potter (Star Wars?)

Originally posted by CaptainEO,ATIS View Post
    But if we are going to their world - they are the aliens. Perspective. Some will see them as aliens while some will see it like you. So there's no way if it were to really fit because it would always be questioned if it really does. Like Stitch or Monsters.
    That's your opinion. What do you have to CONTRIBUTE, do you have a better idea?

Comment

Originally posted by kibia16 View Post
      How about a Star Wars Theme Park:

Seeing that map makes me think: Wow, they should do this. But why does George Lucas need Disney to build this? He could build it as a standalone park in San Francisco and compete with Disney, unless he's signed away those rights through Star Tours.

Comment

I think that trying to compete with Potterville by trying to find and tap an equally marketable film franchise is the wrong way to go. I'd much rather see them try to top it by building more richly themed areas and developing stronger attractions. If the company wanted to, they could easily blow potter out of the water. They just have to be willing to pay for it.
        It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.
        sigpic

Comment

In other words, rather than making a ride or area out of a popular franchise, its time for the western river expedition.

Comment

Seeing a bunch of Audio Animatronic figures representing Cowboys and Indians seen through a trite 1960's prism, would bring protests from the public that Disney World was celebrating the holocaust and diaspora of the native American tribes. Hardly a counterpunch to Harry Potter.

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
              Seeing a bunch of Audio Animatronic figures representing Cowboys and Indians seen through a trite 1960's prism, would bring protests from the public that Disney World was celebrating the holocaust and diaspora of the native American tribes. Hardly a counterpunch to Harry Potter.
              Who said it had to be the exactly the same as the plans?

Comment

That's your opinion. What do you have to CONTRIBUTE, do you have a better idea?
                No, I only have ideas for Disneyland, California. I have no Armchair Imagineering projects for any of the other parks.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainEO,ATIS View Post
                  Who said it had to be the exactly the same as the plans?
                  The whole concept is out of date for today's audience.

Comment

That's true, remember all those public protests when Splash mountain was built representing the reconstruction era south through a trite 1940's prism.

I was actually thinking more of Disney finally putting up the money for Beastlie Kingdomme, creating a Tomorrowland, and Future World with actual futuristic vision, or giving the Hollywood Studios an actual theme.
                    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.
                    sigpic

Comment

Can't they even shoot some game shows for ABC Television from the Disney Studios, so they're really studios?

Comment

That's True, nobody makes westerns anymore. They're too Gritty.
                        sigpic

Comment

Westerns that don't focus on masacreing Indians. See "Dances with Wolves" for what's acceptable to depict for Native Americans.

Comment

Seeing that map makes me think: Wow, they should do this. But why does George Lucas need Disney to build this? He could build it as a standalone park in San Francisco and compete with Disney, unless he's signed away those rights through Star Tours.
                            Then George would most likely get bashed for ripping off Disney's theme parks. If Disney were to build it it wouldn't really be considered a rip off since they have made parks like it. No one ever said MK, TDL, DLP, or HKDL ripped off Disneyland since Disney was the one who built all the parks. But if you look at that park in China and also the failed Nara Dreamland they are extremely disliked by Disney fans because they ripped off Disneyland.

Comment

I certainly didn't expect them to maintain the ride as it was originally conceived, the indians were featured in a lot of parts of the ride but hardly the entire concept. Anyway, the way you're talking about it makes it sound like some tacky C-ticket. A lot of the show scenes seemed really fun, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have only appealed to fans of westerns.

Pirates and Haunted Mansion are the quintessential Magic Kingdom "experience ride," and not only was this to be larger and grander then both, it would contain the same type of gags and structure. Oh yeah, and Marc Davis created the idea, so that certainly doesn't hurt. Obviously that doesn't make it automatic gold but we're talking about the man who created the best dark rides ever. This could be a huge heavy hitter if Disney only showed a little faith.

No question, it was conceived over 40 years ago, but so were a lot of the great Disney attractions. Attractions that were still relevant even before some of them received updates. You don't have to keep an idea down just because it was created in the past, sure some of it doesn't work, but a lot of it is filled with timeless Disney magic.
                              Last edited by mr. taag; 01-28-2011, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Westerns that don't focus on masacreing Indians. See "Dances with Wolves" for what's acceptable to depict for Native Americans.
                                Ok MODERN westerns don't focus on massacreing Indians, but the old one's did...not all of them just some of them where ALL racial stereotypes were in full view, like most movies of that era...The concept could simply be looked at through new eyes, just sayin...

And btw I think MK doesn't need more with the FLE and all that goin on, I think what's more prudent would be to expand out DHS or AK and making those full day parks like they should have been from the word go. It doesn't even need to be a Potter-type franchise either, it could be a fresh concept that will keep people interested for awhile, if Disney broke ground on it within a year or two they could even say take away attendance from Potter over several years as people will go to Disney to check out "ALL THAT NEW STUFF"...It would help Disney to reassert itself as fresh, new, and constantly evolving it's parks, while people would look towards Universal and start saying stuff like "why haven't they updated this in xx years."

Of course this is all hingent on whether or not Disney FEELS like ripping Potter's glasses off and crushing them like a playground bully or not...
                                The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
                                -George S. Patton

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X