This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WDW's Standards: Coastal Differences

I think it's fairly accurate to say that most WDW visitors are stereotypical southerners. Seriously, half the visitors are from northern FL, Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi. So in essence, WDW is catering to a Walmart-type crowd. They are over-consumers who want things right away, no matter where they are. They don't care about details or quality because they don't know what quality is (or was). You may think this is politically incorrect, but I lived in Orlando for 3 years and visited the parks regularly, in addition to having a ton of friends who worked at WDW. I knows my shiz.

But then again, I don't really care, because I just moved to Southern California and I don't have to deal with redneck WDW guests anymore. I have Disneyland and all of its diverse, attractive guests all to myself! (figuratively speaking). Holla.

Today, I feel like driving through a cursed temple, taking a tour of a haunted antebellum mansion, plunging down a waterfall in a hollowed-out log, bobsledding down a famous swiss mountain, traveling through the darkest recesses of space, and watching fireworks explode over a fantastical castle.

Yeah, that sounds fun.

Comment

Actually, if Spaceship Earth's daily map is any indication, the vast majority of WDW visitors are stereotypical New England'ers because that's almost always the area of the USA most whited out on that map along with the southeastern USA.

But I don't think stereotypes have much to do with the ability to recognize quality. Southern people have a very good ability to recognize quality - New Orleans for example. I'm pretty sure it has far more to do with the fact that the vast majority of WDW guests are on either once-a-year, once-every-few-years, and even once-in-a-lifetime visits to WDW. They're not going to be inspecting every inch of every Resort, Shopping Area & Theme Park with a fine-toothed comb because they just don't have time for that.

Now, if you consider Disneyland's guests to be diverse & attractive compared to WDW's guests, then you obviously have worked at WDW far too long and haven't lived in SoCal long enough. :lol:

Many Disneylanders will visit the parks 12-25 times a year (1-2 times per month). The SoCal resident population almost lives on top of the SoCal theme parks from SFMM to the north (where I am) all the way to Sea World way down south in San Diego. Almost every SoCal park is on the "Buy a Day, Get 20XX Free" Season Pass model for this reason. Can you imagine what Orlando parks would do if instead of Orlando's meager population, almost 10 Million people lived within an hour's drive of Orlando? And of that population, about 70% of them had an annual income high enough to sustain owning a home 3x the median value of a FL residence, plus season tickets to at least one major sports franchise, a new car every 4-5 years, etc? There would be far more WDW AP's, Universal AP's, Sea World AP's than there are now. The reason why there isn't is because, the vast majority of Orlando theme park visitors are people who fly into Orlando from various parts of the USA & the world - mostly New Englanders (snowbirds) in the winter months - and visit WDW maybe 1-3 times a year.

A visitor who goes 1-3 times a year is not going to notice the details as much as a visitor who goes 12-25 times year, especially when the 1-3 visitor has 3x as much park space, and thus little details, as the 12-25'er does. Now, if you really want to make an apples to apples comparison, in order to do a weekly Disneyland column, someone has to be visiting Disneyland over 50x times per year! There are some people like Kevin Yee who visit WDW that often, and TDO knows they're out there and would really give WDW a ripping if they let their guard down, but it's clear that the average Disneyland visitor will go, see, do, and notice things in a lot finer detail than their WDW counterparts.
      Last edited by PeoplemoverMatt; 02-09-2011, 09:14 PM.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Comment

I agree. Here's one more I'll add:

I've always heard from "insiders" that there is a lot of "red tape" to get through whenever trying to get anything done. Makes sense. Bigger organizations = more red tape, more politics.

Let's hope they clean out their log jam...

Comment

Originally posted by Drewfilmboy View Post
          I think it's fairly accurate to say that most WDW visitors are stereotypical southerners. Seriously, half the visitors are from northern FL, Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi. So in essence, WDW is catering to a Walmart-type crowd. They are over-consumers who want things right away, no matter where they are. They don't care about details or quality because they don't know what quality is (or was). You may think this is politically incorrect, but I lived in Orlando for 3 years and visited the parks regularly, in addition to having a ton of friends who worked at WDW. I knows my shiz.

But then again, I don't really care, because I just moved to Southern California and I don't have to deal with redneck WDW guests anymore. I have Disneyland and all of its diverse, attractive guests all to myself! (figuratively speaking). Holla.
          Lmao !!!

Comment

Originally posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
            Actually, if Spaceship Earth's daily map is any indication, the vast majority of WDW visitors are stereotypical New England'ers because that's almost always the area of the USA most whited out on that map along with the southeastern USA.

But I don't think stereotypes have much to do with the ability to recognize quality. Southern people have a very good ability to recognize quality - New Orleans for example. I'm pretty sure it has far more to do with the fact that the vast majority of WDW guests are on either once-a-year, once-every-few-years, and even once-in-a-lifetime visits to WDW. They're not going to be inspecting every inch of every Resort, Shopping Area & Theme Park with a fine-toothed comb because they just don't have time for that.

Now, if you consider Disneyland's guests to be diverse & attractive compared to WDW's guests, then you obviously have worked at WDW far too long and haven't lived in SoCal long enough. :lol:

Many Disneylanders will visit the parks 12-25 times a year (1-2 times per month). The SoCal resident population almost lives on top of the SoCal theme parks from SFMM to the north (where I am) all the way to Sea World way down south in San Diego. Almost every SoCal park is on the "Buy a Day, Get 20XX Free" Season Pass model for this reason. Can you imagine what Orlando parks would do if instead of Orlando's meager population, almost 10 Million people lived within an hour's drive of Orlando? And of that population, about 70% of them had an annual income high enough to sustain owning a home 3x the median value of a FL residence, plus season tickets to at least one major sports franchise, a new car every 4-5 years, etc? There would be far more WDW AP's, Universal AP's, Sea World AP's than there are now. The reason why there isn't is because, the vast majority of Orlando theme park visitors are people who fly into Orlando from various parts of the USA & the world - mostly New Englanders (snowbirds) in the winter months - and visit WDW maybe 1-3 times a year.

A visitor who goes 1-3 times a year is not going to notice the details as much as a visitor who goes 12-25 times year, especially when the 1-3 visitor has 3x as much park space, and thus little details, as the 12-25'er does. Now, if you really want to make an apples to apples comparison, in order to do a weekly Disneyland column, someone has to be visiting Disneyland over 50x times per year! There are some people like Kevin Yee who visit WDW that often, and TDO knows they're out there and would really give WDW a ripping if they let their guard down, but it's clear that the average Disneyland visitor will go, see, do, and notice things in a lot finer detail than their WDW counterparts.
            Well said
            Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

Originally posted by Drewfilmboy View Post

I love this post and I think it IS fairly accurate to say all you say.
              Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Comment

I apologize for getting involved in this discussion in the first place. I take issue with the comments towards Southerners and WDW guests and think they have no place on these forums.
                Last edited by VonBaroketch; 02-16-2011, 08:18 AM. Reason: no need to continue a useless discussion
                Ludwig von Baroketch
                sigpic
                Kapellmeister, Gracey Estate

Comment

I agree- the stereotypes have to go.
                  Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 500 Posts!
                  www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                  X