X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tom Staggs comments on the Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Originally posted by inaworldofmyown View Post
    I don't know how accurate this is but I found a posting on mugglenet.com that says a tour guide mentioned how the Lost Continent would be taken over by WWoHP in the next 2 to 3 years. With an expansion of that size coming so quickly what with WDW do then? Fantasyland will barely be finished and already an addition will be added to HP. Here is the link if you want to read it, again I have no idea how reliable the source is but if IOA is making bank off of WWoHP why wouldn't they want to expand and expand FAST?

Universal to expand Wizarding World within next two to three years?
    I would be good money that the next portion of the WWoHP is going to be open in time for Disney's newest expansion.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by StevenW View Post
        Disney isn't doing enough to capture the Harry Potter themed entertainment fanboy crowd.
        Fixed that for you.

Comment

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
          Fixed that for you.
          You changed the meaning of my post, but if it works for you, then go for it.

Comment

Personally I want the parks competing for my dollars. Right now Universal is winning, from the great WWoHP, to all the Christmas festivities, to Mardi Gras Concerts to the Summer Concert series. It is where I want to spend my time.

Funny thing, around Christmas I went to go finally buy an AP at WDW, and they messed it up, and locked me out of the system for 24 hours (not sure how it happened, I was there for an hour) and I took it as a sign that I didn't need a WDW pass. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
              Basically what Universal has is an all new type of experience that Disney is completely empty on. Disney has the parks, the atmosphere... but none of it is serving each other. The rides are rides, the shows are shows, and the merchandise... is pretty cheap stuff to put it bluntly. Sure, they have loads of candy but none of it is special. None of it is unique. They slapped the Disney name on it... doesn't mean I want it. I'd rather have Doritos than Mickey Chips!

What Universal has with Harry Potter is a unified vision.... it's synergy firing on all cylinders. The ride and the shops are ONE massive experience. And the food and merchandise complete that world. You're not buying "I SURVIVED......." anything. It's authentic.

Somehow Disney stopped being authentic and started being a corporate brand that prints their own money. Eventually, people realize how unspecial it is and stop buying.

Harry Potter is a well-needed wake-up call.
              Originally posted by KingEric View Post
              I think everyone has been hitting the nail on the head. I agree wit Lilly, and others who have said, what does the "Disney" name really mean. When I can go get a Fab Five t-shirt at Wal-Mart how does that make my shopping experience at WDW better?

I go to the WWoHP sometimes just to grab a Butter Beer. Honestly. I will get in my car, drive 15 miles, park, walk all the way through CityWalk, enter IOA, walk through Seuss Landing, and Lost Continent just so I can have the pleasure of standing in a long line, fork over 4.00 just so I can have the pleasure of drinking this "exclusive" drink.

The only thing on WDW property that even matches that (to me personally) are Zebra Domes at the Animal Kingdom Lodge.
              I don't know how accurate this is but I found a posting on mugglenet.com that says a tour guide mentioned how the Lost Continent would be taken over by WWoHP in the next 2 to 3 years. With an expansion of that size coming so quickly what with WDW do then? Fantasyland will barely be finished and already an addition will be added to HP. Here is the link if you want to read it, again I have no idea how reliable the source is but if IOA is making bank off of WWoHP why wouldn't they want to expand and expand FAST?

Universal to expand Wizarding World within next two to three years?
              I would be good money that the next portion of the WWoHP is going to be open in time for Disney's newest expansion.
              Personally I want the parks competing for my dollars. Right now Universal is winning, from the great WWoHP, to all the Christmas festivities, to Mardi Gras Concerts to the Summer Concert series. It is where I want to spend my time.

Funny thing, around Christmas I went to go finally buy an AP at WDW, and they messed it up, and locked me out of the system for 24 hours (not sure how it happened, I was there for an hour) and I took it as a sign that I didn't need a WDW pass. lol
              That is pretty sad for Disney. If they can't get someone through the gate who cares enough to post all the time on a forum called "micechat", how are they going to get the ambivalant guest?

Comment

There's nothing really massive or popular with the Disney franchise the can warrant major competition with Potter. The closest right now is Carsland at DCA. The best that Disney can do at this rate is to keep adding onto WDW what they can. What they're doing at Fantasyland isn't massive or WOW-y but it's a start. I would like to see them add a little more every year to their parks instead of one little attraction every few years.

Comment

Originally posted by toonaspie View Post
                  There's nothing really massive or popular with the Disney franchise the can warrant major competition with Potter. The closest right now is Carsland at DCA. The best that Disney can do at this rate is to keep adding onto WDW what they can. What they're doing at Fantasyland isn't massive or WOW-y but it's a start. I would like to see them add a little more every year to their parks instead of one little attraction every few years.
                  When you think of your favorite WDW attraction they aren't tied to a franchise...

Big Thunder Mountain
                  Space Mountain
                  Pirates of the Caribbean pre 2003
                  Spaceship Earth
                  Soarin'

Personally I LOVE Discovery Cove in Orlando not because it is tied to any intellectual property, but because it is an amazing all inclusive immerse experience that is worth the price they charge.

For me personally, I have NEVER read the Harry Potter books, I have seen the movies, but do not look forward to them, and have only seen each one once in the theater. I am FAR from a Harry Potter fan.... HOWEVER that all changed when I visited the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. It was something that I could relate to, something I could experience.

Comment

Originally posted by toonaspie View Post

But even with CARSLand, the food and merch will be for people, not cars. If it was to be truly authentic, we'd be buying Cars fuel!

That's why the only way to TRULY compete with Potter, is to do another completely immersive world with its own set of languages and lore. Something like Star Wars.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Basically what Universal has is an all new type of experience that Disney is completely empty on. Disney has the parks, the atmosphere... but none of it is serving each other. The rides are rides, the shows are shows, and the merchandise... is pretty cheap stuff to put it bluntly. Sure, they have loads of candy but none of it is special. None of it is unique. They slapped the Disney name on it... doesn't mean I want it. I'd rather have Doritos than Mickey Chips!

What Universal has with Harry Potter is a unified vision.... it's synergy firing on all cylinders. The ride and the shops are ONE massive experience. And the food and merchandise complete that world. You're not buying "I SURVIVED......." anything. It's authentic.

Somehow Disney stopped being authentic and started being a corporate brand that prints their own money. Eventually, people realize how unspecial it is and stop buying.

Harry Potter is a well-needed wake-up call.
                      ka-BINGO.

Are you listening, Tom?
                      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                      - Michael Eisner

Comment

All excellent comments in this thread.

My main problem with how Disney is dealing with this situation, is their reluctance to openly and fully admit to themselves (behind closed doors) that they're no longer the 8000 lb gorilla of the Orlando Entertainment Empire. Potter has dealt them a significant blow to their bottom line, which they can acknowledge intellectually, but cannot accept emotionally, at the gut level, where most executive decisions are made regarding the expenditure of capital. Hence the moronic decision to counter Potter with an expansion of Fantasyland. Seriously? Those are two different demographics. Families with young kids will love the new expansion. But they're not Potter's target audience. Older kids and adults are flocking to Uni to experience Potter. How, exactly, is Little Mermaid and a Dwarf kiddie coaster supposed to bring them back?

Disney believed that they could rest on their laurels and simply coast through the decade, and not have to spend the big bucks to maintain their repeat customer base, because of DVC. They foolishly believed that as long as they had DVC and Magical Express, their visitors would remain forever on property and spend all of their vacation dollars at Disney. But then Potter opened and became an overnight success, motivating Disney guests to find transportation alternatives and experience Potter for themselves.

So now you have Disney guests experiencing better food, better merchandise, and leading edge attractions. No wonder Disney can't get their guests to spend any money on their property. Potter has effectively stolen Disney customers' wallets and removed the dollars that Disney had been counting on. And its those food and merch dollars which make the difference between profit gains and profit stagnation. Discounted tickets and discounted rooms and discounted food programs marginalize the profits before visitors even book their vacations. Now give those visitors another place to spend their time and money off Disney property... and watch the profit train fly off the rails.

Disney execs need to enter a 12-Step program and admit their arrogance and shortcomings over losing ground to Potter. It was basically avoidable had they continued to refresh the parks and add compelling E-Tickets every few years and kept unique and original park and resort merchandise on the shelves and quality food in the restaurants. People still would have visited Potter, definitely. But the financial damage to the bottom line would have been much, much less. Now Orlando vacationers have a "newly discovered" resort to spend their dollars at outside WDW, and it will be that much harder for Disney to pull them back on property. And heavily relying on 20th century thinking like the Fantasyland expansion is not the way to do it.
                        "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

Comment

I will be experiencing POtter for the first time next week, completely fresh eyes seeing as I haven't been to WDW or Uni Orlando in the past year, last year I went to DL...

But I will be sure and post a trip report so that all can see the fun that we had, btw I'm traveling with 1 person who have NEVER been to DL, WDW, OR UNI, and the other person was there once 15 years ago! So we shall see how the Disney Brand holds up with this kind of scrutiny, an experienced and seasoned Disney Traveler, a seasoned traveler who has expereinced both before, and a true novice...

I wonder how this will turn out...we're spending 3 days at Uni, and 6 days at Disney...
                          The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
                          -George S. Patton

Comment

[QUOTE=ORD84;1056427142 I'm traveling with 1 person who have NEVER been to DL, WDW, OR UNI, and the other person was there once 15 years ago! So we shall see how the Disney Brand holds up with this kind of scrutiny, an experienced and seasoned Disney Traveler, a seasoned traveler who has expereinced both before, and a true novice...

I wonder how this will turn out...we're spending 3 days at Uni, and 6 days at Disney...[/QUOTE]

If i can recommend something. For this person who has NEVER visited. To help this person remain a good barometer for an objective opinion.... I have a few suggestions.

1. Alternate Disney and Universal Days.
                            2. Do not explain what any attraction is, if they ask what a ride is like just answer "you will see"
                            3. Try not to share any nostalgic stories

This will help them form a unique and personal opinion that will be interesting to hear.

Comment

I think Walt would have been honest and promised bigger and better things.

Comment

Originally posted by taagsmash View Post
                                I think Walt would have been honest and promised bigger and better things.
                                In Disneyland's "Walt decade" and the years following -- throughout their first quarter century, really -- the things that Walt and his 1st-generation WED successors promised were dwarfed by the reality of what they delivered. No matter how big a DL fan you were, no matter what you imagined from the previews on the Disney TV show, the reality blew your socks off.

It wasn't until the Eisner years that the current patten of huge hype, lackluster reality and internal denial became the norm.
                                "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                - Michael Eisner

Comment

Doesn't sound anything like denial. It sounds like being smart to me.

If another company does something that one ups you, you don't go around telling everyone that you suck and they are better than you. That's basically telling people that you aren't worth visiting any more and they'll all leave. What he's saying is true though, it is good for them in the short term. If WWoHP brings in extra people, WDW is a big draw for them and should see increases or even numbers.

Now, you can't expect Tom to just up and announce anything they might be planning. That would be ridiculous. Disney will announce any plans when it is good and ready. And I highly doubt that the FL expansion is really all they have to answer WWoHP with. It's something that has needed doing for quite some time and is definitely going to be nice and help, but to think that this is all they have is kind of naive on our part.

Am I being optimistic? Yes. There are plenty of people who will respond with comments about Disney's track record for the past decade-ish and that is a valid point. But there is change in the wind for those paying attention.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

I'm not very familiar with IOA or really anything other than WDW but does Universal have onsite lodgeing? If not then what happens someone over there gets the idea to make a themed hotel based on Hogwarts? Just think you can have 4 seperate units all themed to each house. I am sure someone or Uni has had that thought and maybe they are just working on the logisitics of it, what kind of doom would that spell for WDW? I hope that TDO is thinking way outside the box and way in the future with any additions or attractions to keep in mind that WWoHP is growing a massive following and with an expansion looming it will have a following that may take a huge chunk out of their profits. Teenagers seem to be the hardest to please and as far as I have heard WWoHP is keeping them coming back. My younger brother will be going there next month and it is all he can talk about. He doesn't even care that WDW is seemingly just down the road, all he cares about is WWoHP. I hope TDO has some big stuff up their sleeve that they are just withholding as not to let the cat out of the bag. I guess we can only keep all of our fingers and toes crossed.
                                    "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

Comment

But even with CARSLand, the food and merch will be for people, not cars. If it was to be truly authentic, we'd be buying Cars fuel!

That's why the only way to TRULY compete with Potter, is to do another completely immersive world with its own set of languages and lore. Something like Star Wars.
                                      Or Tron......or Marvel, they could have a few fun toys that I would be willing to buy like Hulk Hands, Captain America's Shield, Thor's Hammer, Iron Man light up gloves, and Spiderman web shooters.....

But see the difference is Disney fans would not want these "exclusive" things in the parks cause they are not "strictly" Disney ....ElecTRONica did not fit theme either but it made money. Sometimes to make money you must throw away "theme" and good for what people want to see in parks over what must be the best fit for the land.
                                      Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

I'm not very familiar with IOA or really anything other than WDW but does Universal have onsite lodgeing? If not then what happens someone over there gets the idea to make a themed hotel based on Hogwarts? Just think you can have 4 seperate units all themed to each house. I am sure someone or Uni has had that thought and maybe they are just working on the logisitics of it, what kind of doom would that spell for WDW? I hope that TDO is thinking way outside the box and way in the future with any additions or attractions to keep in mind that WWoHP is growing a massive following and with an expansion looming it will have a following that may take a huge chunk out of their profits. Teenagers seem to be the hardest to please and as far as I have heard WWoHP is keeping them coming back. My younger brother will be going there next month and it is all he can talk about. He doesn't even care that WDW is seemingly just down the road, all he cares about is WWoHP. I hope TDO has some big stuff up their sleeve that they are just withholding as not to let the cat out of the bag. I guess we can only keep all of our fingers and toes crossed.
                                        Universal Orlando has three onsite hotels. Guests who stay at the hotels get something similar to a FP called a Front-of-the-line pass. It's good on everything but the Harry Potter darkride. Also during the soft-opening for WWoHP, they had a special hotel package for hotel guests to have a special breakfast at the Three Broomsticks but I dunno if they still do that.

A HP hotel has been a popular suggestion. Universal would definitly want to take advantage of that. Perhaps they can build it into WWoHP (similar to the MiraCosta being built into Tokyo DisneySea) and give guests a special entryway into the park through WWoHP. That would be a big price for guests but worth it I'll bet.

Comment

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
                                          Or Tron......or Marvel, they could have a few fun toys that I would be willing to buy like Hulk Hands, Captain America's Shield, Thor's Hammer, Iron Man light up gloves, and Spiderman web shooters.....

But see the difference is Disney fans would not want these "exclusive" things in the parks cause they are not "strictly" Disney ....ElecTRONica did not fit theme either but it made money. Sometimes to make money you must throw away "theme" and good for what people want to see in parks over what must be the best fit for the land.

You don't need a Marvel theme park to buy Hulk Hands or Wolverine Claws or whatever. Just go to any toy shop. And besides, the Marvel universe is supposedly in OUR universe. How amazingly unique could that possibly be?

The TRON grid is pretty unique but can't possibly work during the day.

Regarding your second paragraph.... WHAT?!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                                          http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                                          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Working...
                                          X