X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tom Staggs comments on the Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Originally posted by toonaspie View Post
    Universal Orlando has three onsite hotels. Guests who stay at the hotels get something similar to a FP called a Front-of-the-line pass. It's good on everything but the Harry Potter darkride. Also during the soft-opening for WWoHP, they had a special hotel package for hotel guests to have a special breakfast at the Three Broomsticks but I dunno if they still do that.

A HP hotel has been a popular suggestion. Universal would definitly want to take advantage of that. Perhaps they can build it into WWoHP (similar to the MiraCosta being built into Tokyo DisneySea) and give guests a special entryway into the park through WWoHP. That would be a big price for guests but worth it I'll bet.
    Hmmmm where would I put it... Maybe I would just do a huge refurb, and re-theme the Royal Pacific Hotel.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

There are a lot of good comments on here. Some I agree with, some I disagree with. Just a few comments of my own.

First, cut Tom Staggs some slack. He has only been in charge of Parks and Resorts for a short while (maybe 2 years?). Let's give him some time to fix things. I like what I've seen so far from him and he has always seemed like a good guy, even when he was the CFO. Plus, he can't be any worse than Jay Rasulo.

Second, Disney doesn't, nor will it ever go after the "Harry Potter" demographic. Disney's bread and butter demographic is and always will be families with young children. That is why they are doing what they are doing in Fantasyland. They are appealing to their core audience.

Third, as to the question of merchandise at Harry Potter. ALMOST everything in a Disney theme park is WHOLELY owned by Disney. The KEY here is that if someone buys Harry Potter merchandise at Universal Studios, then Universal gets a PORTION of the revenue. If someone buys HP merchandise at Target (or Walmart, etc), then Universal gets NOTHING because HP is owned by JK Rowling and the movies are owned by Warner Bros. Now if someone buys a Mickey mouse at WDW or Target or Walmart or wherever, Disney gets either the ENTIRE revenue or at the very least they get royalities from the licensee.
      Disney and Universal are two COMPLETELY different companies. The Walt Disney Company is the ONLY media company that TRUELY gets synergy. Although Disney Corporate wants the theme parks to make as much money as possible, I believe that Disney understands the synergistic effects of their theme parks and would still run them even if they made little profit (which in fact compared to their other divisions the theme parks DO make little profit)

Finally, not to say that WDW should rest on it's laurels, but there is LITTLE chance that Universal is going to steal WDW's crown. According to the 2009 attendance report, the Magic Kingdom at WDW got 17.2 million visitors, Epcot got 10.9 mil, Disney Hollywood Studios got 9.7 and Animal Kingdom got 9.5 mil. In the same year, Universal Studio Florida got 5.5 million and Islands of Adventure got 4.6 mil. If Islands of Adventure DOUBLED their attendance they would still have LESS than ANY of the WDW theme parks (and as a point, the HIGHEST growth rate at ANY theme park in 2009 was 25% which was at De Efteling in the Netherlands and one of the largest changes in North America was 11.3% DOWN at Islands of Adventure)

Comment

ALMOST everything in a Disney theme park is WHOLELY owned by Disney.
        Since Star Wars and Indiana Jones are Disneyland's signature attractions, why not use them in more attractions? Star Wars deserves a bigger representation in the park. It's not as if Disney won't make money off the merchandise even if they have to pay a royalty. That's like leaving money on the table. Many companies make deals to get a cut of the action. So you're saying Disney gets nothing because they don't want to share. Okay.

Comment

Originally posted by jedited View Post
          Second, Disney doesn't, nor will it ever go after the "Harry Potter" demographic. Disney's bread and butter demographic is and always will be families with young children. That is why they are doing what they are doing in Fantasyland. They are appealing to their core audience.
          Yeah... those Harry Potter fans at IoA have never stepped foot inside WDW and never will.

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

Comment

Is the Harry Potter demographic NOT families with young children? Maybe i'm missing something here...

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
            http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

First, cut Tom Staggs some slack. He has only been in charge of Parks and Resorts for a short while (maybe 2 years?).
              You gotta be kidding. Tom's been Disney's Number One Sharp Pencil Boy and a major player on the Eisner/Iger team for years. He started as Manager of Strategic Planning before many of the members of this forum were born. Bob didn't give Tom the Parks because he wanted fresh blood, new views and a renaissance of creativity.

Disney's bread and butter demographic is and always will be families with young children.
              Tell that to the Disney Channel's and Marvel's teen-demographic marketeers.
              "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
              it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
              together with every variety of recreation and fun,
              designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
              - Michael Eisner

Comment

You should do some more reading up on your history of Disney parks and resorts. Back in the 1960s there was even a National Geographic article on Disneyland that ended with the joke, "Maybe one day they will make a Disneyland for kids." Walt Disney World opened with many adult oriented activities, from shopping and dining to recreation. EPCOT Center has been widely recognized as focussing even more adults. Pleasure Island in 1989. In 1994 the Magic Kingdom even got a psychological thriller in the ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter. The focus on families with young children has been the bread, butter and focus of DisneyParks

Comment

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
                  Is the Harry Potter demographic NOT families with young children? Maybe i'm missing something here...
                  A common misconception. Young children? No. The first couple of books are ok for, say, a second grader. But after that, they get heavy, dark, major characters dying, etc. The kids turn into teenagers and have romances. I remember reading that JK Rowling said she thinks the child who starts to read the series be at least nine.

Beyond that, some of the most crazed Harry Potter fans are adults. Count me in that group. The books are full of well-developed adult characters, whom I relate to more than the kids. The movies I don't care for so much, but I obsessed over and re-read those books multiple times

Comment

Originally posted by lily23 View Post
                    A common misconception. Young children? No. The first couple of books are ok for, say, a second grader. But after that, they get heavy, dark, major characters dying, etc. The kids turn into teenagers and have romances. I remember reading that JK Rowling said she thinks the child who starts to read the series be at least nine.

Beyond that, some of the most crazed Harry Potter fans are adults. Count me in that group. The books are full of well-developed adult characters, whom I relate to more than the kids. The movies I don't care for so much, but I obsessed over and re-read those books multiple times

My mistake. I group 9 year-olds as young children even though I guess it's more appropriate to call them pre-teens.

But then again, it's also a misconception that a Disney Park is for families with YOUNG CHILDREN as well. I thought it was for families period.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                      You gotta be kidding. Tom's been Disney's Number One Sharp Pencil Boy and a major player on the Eisner/Iger team for years. He started as Manager of Strategic Planning before many of the members of this forum were born. Bob didn't give Tom the Parks because he wanted fresh blood, new views and a renaissance of creativity.
                      To say the company is run now as it was during the Eisner years is a misnomer.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Truecoat View Post
                        To say the company is run now as it was during the Eisner years is a misnomer.
                        True. I'm saying that "give Tom a break, he's new on the job" is a fantasy -- as much of a fantasy as believing that the core philosophy of the Eisner years isn't still firmly entrenched in TDB, TDA and especially TDO.
                        Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 02-09-2011, 09:15 PM.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

I will agree that we shouldn't take Tom Stagg's comments in the first post as any indication of where the company is going. Fantasyland was certainly a complete waste in my eyes before Staggs took his role so I think he's done some good in his short time in his new position. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

True. I'm saying that "give Tom a break, he's new on the job" is a fantasy -- as much of a fantasy as believing that the core philosophy of the Eisner years isn't still firmly entrenched in TDB, TDA and especially TDO.
                            I agree and disagree. IF he is working for any sort of actual change within the division, two years is nor enough time to change things. But the man did start the first eight years of his career with what is probably the most reviled division in the history of the company, eventually becoming Senior Vice President. It is a little hard to believe that he has totally abandoned those ideas. He became CFO in 1998, seven years before Eisner leaving. He either sold out to Eisner to move forward, has not changed, has changed, or some combination thereof.

Comment

I will agree that we shouldn't take Tom Stagg's comments in the first post as any indication of where the company is going. Fantasyland was certainly a complete waste in my eyes before Staggs took his role so I think he's done some good in his short time in his new position. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
                              I can forgive the immediate decision of Fantasyland. The park's capacity had to be dealt with (ignoring the issue of if it should have come to that). Something modest like Fantasyland adds room for those already coming. Something amazing brings in crowds and would only exacerbate the capacity issue.

Comment

I think it's a little simplistic (and even unfair) to say that Disney is run today the same way as in "the Eisner years". Which Eisner years? Are you talking about the years before Frank Wells died, and the company was being revived from the near dead? Or the post-Wells years when Eisner decided to milk the parks for every dollar, and put the dreaded Pressler in charge of Disneyland? Those two periods were both under Eisner, but were both very different.

While some of Eisner's cronies are still in place, and while I agree that the parks all need greater care and re-investment from the company, you can't say that we are in a replay of Eisner's later years. The parks are getting some TLC and new attractions, and upkeep and maintenance standards are quite high. There is a lot of room for improvement, but this is definitely not like the Pressler era.

Comment

Originally posted by disneyfann121 View Post
                                  While some of Eisner's cronies are still in place, and while I agree that the parks all need greater care and re-investment from the company, you can't say that we are in a replay of Eisner's later years. The parks are getting some TLC and new attractions, and upkeep and maintenance standards are quite high. There is a lot of room for improvement, but this is definitely not like the Pressler era.
                                  True. As can be seen in what's happening with WDW vs. what's happening with WWoHP, this definitely is the Iger/Staggs era.

For those familiar with the Company's internal denial and external groupspeak when WDFA was beginning its decline and Pixar beginning its ascendancy, the similarities between then and now are riotously comical -- in a sadly ironic way.

As are the partisan reactions, then and now, of the fans.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

My mistake. I group 9 year-olds as young children even though I guess it's more appropriate to call them pre-teens.
                                    Yup! And again, nine and older. Middle school, high school, college and up

But then again, it's also a misconception that a Disney Park is for families with YOUNG CHILDREN as well. I thought it was for families period.
                                    I heartily agree, and would also add adults, couples, retirees, friends, groups, individuals, ie EVERYONE! Though I maintain that the Harry Potter demographic is broader than the non-fan might think, I also think that Disney has absolutely universal appeal to every demographic. HP is not as broad as that for sure.

Comment

True. As can be seen in what's happening with WDW vs. what's happening with WWoHP, this definitely is the Iger/Staggs era.

For those familiar with the Company's internal denial and external groupspeak when WDFA was beginning its decline and Pixar beginning its ascendancy, the similarities between then and now are riotously comical -- in a sadly ironic way.

As are the partisan reactions, then and now, of the fans.

I haven't the faintest idea what you are talking about.
                                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Truecoat View Post
                                        I haven't the faintest idea what you are talking about.
                                        I would say that is probably the biggestdifference between Eisner and Iger. He has put a pretty good damper on the internal workings of corporate being played out in public.

Comment

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
                                          I would say that is probably the biggestdifference between Eisner and Iger. He has put a pretty good damper on the internal workings of corporate being played out in public.

Quite true. If you talk to most people out there who HATE and DESPISE the Disney Company with a passion, this all stemmed from the Eisner era. There are people who don't follow the company and don't know a lick of what's going on now, but are like that because of their extreme hatred. All from the Eisner era.

And you can't really blame them. They read what's in the paper and it was mostly negative.

Comment

Working...
                                          X