X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tom Staggs comments on the Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Originally posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    I don't believe that Disney innovates just for the sake of innovation. They use technology to create the experience that they envision. Sometimes the result has been an inferior attraction, and sometimes the result was great. The same can be said for Universal; no one bats .1000 (even if WWOHP is a bases-loaded home run).
    You hit the nail on the head.

You don't have to be on the bleeding edge of technology, it is all about the story, and how you use that technology to tell that story. If a technology is needed to further a story, then innovate, be creative, be driven.

The Ballroom scene in the haunted mansion didn't use "cutting edge" technology at the time it was built, it was a brilliant application of a very old stage trick.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

Just to give two examples: he used the robotics technology that was available at the time in order to develop AAs.
      Meaning no offense, your definition of "innovation" is as off the mark as your facts of Disneyland history. You really need to read up on the development of the first-generation AA's.

Again, no offense, just sayin'.

I'm just trying to maintain some balance and fairness on these boards.
      Sample-bias much? The fact is that these boards are overwhelmingly pro-Disney. Threads of fan photos, fun trip reports and happiness far outnumber those that criticize Disney.
      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
      - Michael Eisner

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
        Meaning no offense, your definition of "innovation" is as off the mark as your facts of Disneyland history. You really need to read up on the development of the first-generation AA's.

Again, no offense, just sayin'.
        Actually, I didn't even offer a definition, although that doesn't stop you from being condescending and borderline insulting (and saying "no offense" afterwards doesn't change that). I dont know what your definition is, nor do I give a damn; it's no more inherently "on the mark" than mine.
        And no, Disney did not invent robotics, a technology that dates back to the early part of the 20th century. Walt's imagineers built on the knowledge that was current at the time. For example, the first concept of the AA was inspired by a mechanical bird that Walt bought while on vacation.

Sample-bias much? The fact is that these boards are overwhelmingly pro-Disney. Threads of fan photos, fun trip reports and happiness far outnumber those that criticize Disney.
        I don't know if that's a fact. You seem to think everything you say is a "fact", instead of an opinion.
        I do know that posts such as the ones you write, often full of bitterness and unfair half-truths, stick out like a sore thumb.
        Last edited by disneyfann121; 02-18-2011, 01:06 PM.

Comment

We could argue artistic merit 'til we're blue in the face; art is in the eye of the beholder. To me, theme parks are about popular entertainment, and, more specifically, they are about experience. When Disney offers an experience that appeals to the majority of their theme park guests, then they've succeeded, whether or not it can be labelled highly innovative or artistic. When an attraction gets thumbs down from most guests, then they've failed.

I don't believe that Disney innovates just for the sake of innovation. They use technology to create the experience that they envision. Sometimes the result has been an inferior attraction, and sometimes the result was great. The same can be said for Universal; no one bats .1000 (even if WWOHP is a bases-loaded home run).
          My post was about the new queue system, nothing else. The reason I mentioned Harry Potter is because the reason it is so successful is due to being more 'Disney' then anything the Disney Parks have done recently. Trust me, I wish this wasn't the case, but I feel like their billion dollars for the reservation/ interactive queues could be used on maybe improving the show for once. Thats all that matters, but Staggs' remarks yesterday prove he doesn't realize that. He just wants things to change so they can appear revolutionary.

Comment

Originally posted by taagsmash View Post
            My post was about the new queue system, nothing else. The reason I mentioned Harry Potter is because the reason it is so successful is due to being more 'Disney' then anything the Disney Parks have done recently. Trust me, I wish this wasn't the case, but I feel like their billion dollars for the reservation/ interactive queues could be used on maybe improving the show for once. Thats all that matters, but Staggs' remarks yesterday prove he doesn't realize that. He just wants things to change so they can appear revolutionary.
            I thought you were referring to the examples I gave in my posts. Sorry if I misunderstood.

As for the new queue system, when they first announced this new technological doodad, I argued that the money would be far better spent on new rides or lands, refurbs, and upgrades on existing attractions. So I agree that show is the real priority, and should be their primary focus.

Comment

...condescending ...insulting ...full of bitterness ...unfair half-truths...
              Unfortunately the motive here seems to be less "just trying to maintain some balance and fairness on these boards," and more to sling ad hominem labels at Disney's critics.
              "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
              it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
              together with every variety of recreation and fun,
              designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
              - Michael Eisner

Comment

Mr. Wiggins, that's not going to fly this time. Try to be more respectful please.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Thanks, Coheteboy.

I think anyone who has read a lot of my posts knows that I'm no Disney apologist. I've done my share of criticism. I was just reacting to the tone of your post, Mr. Wiggins.

Comment

Working...
                  X