This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Disney On A Dime? No way

Animal Kingdom was my favorite park on my last two visits (beside MK of course). Do not listen to people who say it's a half day park. The only way it could be if you are only seeking out thrill rides. Then yes, you go on EE, Kali River, Dinosaur and leave.
    Animal Kingdom is meant to be explored. There is so much to do that I spent two days there. And I can't wait to go back. Now there is also the Wild Trek that you can try also but it is not "on a dime".
    Go to Animal Kingdom!
    I've been to both water parks as well and I will always have an affinity for Typhoon Lagoon. The lazy river ride there is heaven. Lush, relaxing (if your not in a tube jam with screaming kids) and refreshing.
    http://twitter.com/wdwprince

http://youtube.com/wdwprince

Comment

Originally posted by StevenW View Post
      If you visit all the animal exhibits, shows and parades, along with rides, you can spend a decent amount of time there, but you will definitely be done by 4 or 5pm.
      Conveniently, that is about as late as it is ever open probably 85% of the year.

If you are narrowing down Disney parks, my vote for the one that is the MUST VISIT is EPCOT.

Comment

StevenW,

Since you live in SoCal, I'd look into buying/upgrading your family to the Disney Premier AP.

That could potentially save you a TON in admission/parking costs, and give you added value in that you'll have the equivalent Premium APs for Disneyland too.

I'll crunch the numbers for you if you provide how many people, what APs you currently have & when they expire. If you have Disneyland AP's already, there's a good chance that the Premier AP upgrade will get you down under the evil $400/person price point. All parking, park hopping, water parks & more are included with the Premier AP.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Comment

Don't forget you can always stay on site, take advantage of the on site discounts/kids free offers. That way you can add one of the meal plans (which do save you money in WDW IF you use them properly) use the free Magical express bus transport from the airport vs the rental car and then just buy the Universal Park 2 Park tickets with the free transfers, they will pick you up at your hotel and take you to universal and back and you can visit both Universal parks.

You'll save the rental car and parking fees at least that way which can add up fast, with gas your looking at around $18-20/day on top of the cost of the rental. (Both Disney and Universal charge them per day, at least with Disney it's free if you stay on site) The price of the 1 day P2P ticket with transport is the same as the ticket but you may have to book that through a travel agent to get it. (I book a lot of them, but it's via a travel agent portal not a customer facing site, sorry) The meal plans can save you a chunk of money as well if you work them and use all your entitlements, if you don't use them all well then maybe not. Next to park tickets and Hotel food is what you will probably wind up spending the most money on so might as well save as much as you can. :ap:
          Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Comment

Not to derail the thread, but about that dining plan...

The ONLY way any Disney meal plan can save anyone money is by first using ALL entitlements, and then using ALL entitlement EVERY SINGLE DAY. Most of the trip ends up being spent in the restaurants/in line at the counter service locations, which is obviously why Disney wants people to buy the plans, but is it always in the best interest of the consumer? No. There are several pros & cons to the Dining Plan, but a cost-savings is rarely ever one of them. In fact, if you look at it from a little different POV, the Dining Plan actually eliminates a great way to curb costs on the fly by locking people into a minimum per-night food cost.

All I know is, people MUST buy the meal plan for EVERY NIGHT of stay. If you take even one day at, say, Universal, the food credits at WDW for that day are either wasted, on gluttoned on in the other days in a desperate attempt to not be wasteful. That amplifies itself for every day not spent eating on WDW property. Just not a very good idea in terms of cost savings, IMO.

The way I see it, for every one way to actually save on the DDP, there's about 372 ways to NOT save and to actually spend MORE on the DDP than people, especially a family, otherwise would have.

Keep in mind with a car, the family has the capacity to go to, say, the Super Target on 192 that's barely 5 minutes off WDW property and save LOADS by stocking up on cheaper, more handy, snacks and whatever else they choose to have. Buying a styrofoam cooler & loading it up with ice every day/every other day is a GREAT way to save on not only a fridge, but on having cool drinks every night/morning on the trip without having to pay WDW premiums on each item.

Excuse the pun, but it's food for thought. Remember, Disney only tells you about what it wants you to do...
            Last edited by PeoplemoverMatt; 02-11-2011, 04:35 PM.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Comment

Originally posted by Taggart View Post
              I guess this is an issue of vacation habits and all, but, if you KNOW that you're making major sacrifices for the sake of saving a buck, why don't you just wait longer and save so that your trip doesn't have to be full of compromises?
              Trips are sacrifices in one form or another. I didn't mention that my trip is really 2 in 1. I will combine a one week stay in Orlando with a one week cruise to the Caribbean. I don't want to miss IOA's Harry Potter and I definitely want to see Cape Canaveral. So Disney is sacrificed based on the fact that I've seen it before, there isn't much new, and we have Disneyland that has most attractions. I'm trying to figure out how to see WDW at the best way possible and spending the lowest amount. Currently, I'm leaning towards 2 full parks and 1 water park, via a la cart pricing.

I will have to get a rental car, but I will also have to rent a limo or van to transfer to the port for the cruise. This trip can easily cost $5500 to $6500. This is a ton of money and it excludes the food, extra entertainment and shows, and souvenirs.

That's why I think spending $1000 (based on 2 adults and 1 child) for tickets alone is a bit ridiculous so I'm trying my best to keep it low.

I do realize that getting a 3 day or more pass to Disney gives me more options. Believe me, I bought passes and left days unused. This won't be the time where I will do it. Sorry, I will use up all my passes. There is plenty to do as it is.
              Last edited by StevenW; 02-12-2011, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
                StevenW,

Since you live in SoCal, I'd look into buying/upgrading your family to the Disney Premier AP.

That could potentially save you a TON in admission/parking costs, and give you added value in that you'll have the equivalent Premium APs for Disneyland too.

I'll crunch the numbers for you if you provide how many people, what APs you currently have & when they expire. If you have Disneyland AP's already, there's a good chance that the Premier AP upgrade will get you down under the evil $400/person price point. All parking, park hopping, water parks & more are included with the Premier AP.
                This requires me to invest in the APs prior to the vacation. Certainly, I will consider it.

I can enjoy Disneyland for nearly a full year, and then use it at WDW.

Comment

Originally posted by StevenW View Post
                  I didn't mention that my trip is really 2 in 1. I will combine a one week stay in Orlando with a one week cruise to the Caribbean.
                  Ahh. Makes much more sense now. In this case, I would say why not shell out just a bit more for park hoppers and see at least 3 parks. It doesn't sound like you're one who has to tackle every attraction so you could just hit EPCOT's greatest hits and then go over to Magic Kingdom to see unique things like Space Mountain, Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents, and enjoy a nice dinner at Tonys Town Square, or Liberty Tree.

When it comes to price/value, I really think the park hoppers pay for themselves.

On second note, you're trying to save money on this trip, yet you're getting a limo to take you to Port Canaveral?

Comment

I'm from So Cal. Loved Epcot but only gave it one day and needed more. Loved Animal Kingdom and even that could have been more than one day. Cape Canaveral was awesome. I'm kind of a space geek and we actually went out to watch the shuttle launch which was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. Be sure to give yourself enough time at Cape Canaveral - lots of staring in amazement and reading info sheets. I wish I had enough time to see WDW park but did not, I've heard its great too and would to be able to compare. Being from Socal, I would skip anything "studio" related but would probably have to do the Harry Potter thing just so I could say I did. (If I went without my family I would skip HP as well)

Have a great time!!!! I'm envious and looking forward to trip reports.

For my tour of Cape Canaveral click here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7625911137405/
                    Last edited by CMHusband; 02-12-2011, 08:49 PM.
                    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
                    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

Comment

Ahh. Makes much more sense now. In this case, I would say why not shell out just a bit more for park hoppers and see at least 3 parks. It doesn't sound like you're one who has to tackle every attraction so you could just hit EPCOT's greatest hits and then go over to Magic Kingdom to see unique things like Space Mountain, Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents, and enjoy a nice dinner at Tonys Town Square, or Liberty Tree.

When it comes to price/value, I really think the park hoppers pay for themselves.

On second note, you're trying to save money on this trip, yet you're getting a limo to take you to Port Canaveral?
                      Yes, what this person is saying...this is what I really feel like I missed! (Carousel of Progress...oh my, how I want to see this - it was always amazing to me as a kid)
                      Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
                      Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

Comment

Just returned from Orlando this week. I also live in Southern Cal, and since that is also where you are from:

My #1 recommendation: Universal's "Islands of Adventure".

I know, heresy. And I am a big Disney fan. But while I was there, I couldn't help feeling it really was the most likely place a family would enjoy, especially IF they have been to Disneyland already.

It isn't just the Harry Potter "ride" itself (which I loved, twice in a row, even though it made me dizzy!), its the whole Potter village, the windows of the shops, the details and surpises in every corner and rafter inside and outside....and most of all the lines for each ride. So many details and surprises. SO WELL DONE. But it is also the entire park, which surprised me at how clean, well done, and size-manageable it is (so important in Florida's humid heat). Rides for young kids, rides for teenagers, a real mix. Not like the L.A. Universal at all. Much more lush, cleaner, prettier, much more well done as a whole.

I didn't go to the Magic Kingdom (and I hope to do so in the future). I went to Animal Kingdom on a previous trip.

This trip, I did, and enjoyed: Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studio, Universals Islands Of Adventure, and Universal Studios Florida.

That said, I would still recommend Universals Islands Of Adventure, first.

Universal Studios Florida surprised with how nice and clean it was compared to L.A., and I am glad I went. I can recomend it, if you have the money and time. That said, it has many of the same rides as L.A. (even though they are different versions), so if you can't make it, that's probably ok. It's just the much nicer version of the L.A. park.

FYI: I went this past Monday, an off-day, I was at the ticket turnstile a half hour before they opened (about a thousand people in line), went to Harry P. first, and walked right on. Then walked right on again, so I could see more of the line. Then walked right on all rides in Potter area and then walked on all the rides all day in the rest of the park - no lines. I know, I was very lucky...

Comment

Yes, because I'm dropping off my rental car at the airport, where you usually get your car. Unless you suggest I keep the car when I'm on a cruise, where I'll pay for its non-use while also paying for parking fees. Not a good idea.

Then I'll need a ride to Port Canaveral. When you parse out the cost of a bus transfer versus a limo, it costs about the same for the convenience of a private limo or van because a bus charges per person each way.

Comment

I would also recommend Islands of Adventure highly, seriously this park puts Disney to shame in some areas. Spiderman is still mind blowing to this day. USF I would say is still a world class theme park, but you won't be missing too much if you decide to cut it out for financial reasons.

About Animal Kingdom, I think its a fantastic park, I could even say it's the best park at WDW, but Magic Kingdoms nostalgia probably steals it. If you are a real fan of the Disney details then you will love AK. My friend who knows nothing about WDW is most excited for AK on our upcoming trip.

IOA, DAK and Epcot are not to be missed.
                            Disneyland Paris: August 1999, October 2000, March 2002, November 2010, Janruary 2013, May 2013
                            Walt Disney World: May 2011, November 2011
                            Disneyland Resort: September 2015
                            Hong Kong Disneyland: July 2016

Comment

I was kidding with you. Limos out there aren't as expensive as in LA.

Mears' service from Orlando to Canaveral is like $30 round trip. I thought it was worth it. Maybe I'm wrong. It has been forever.

Comment

If you live in Southern California and you don't have DL Annual Passes for a good reason, here's a tip: unused WDW tickets with No Expiration can be used at DL. (This worked for me as of January 4-5, 2009.)

With that in mind, the current full prices for 10-Day Magic Your Way Base Tickets w/ No Expiration are $481.38 (3-9) and $505.88 (10+). That's about $50 a day, which is no worse than the best deal I can find for DL tickets (Southern California Resident Discounted 2-Day Tickets), with the addition of no time limit for use. If you can get a discount, you're clearly ahead of the game if you can spend this much money now for savings later.

Note: The WDW tickets have to be taken back to the lead(?) who scans them, pulls off a day, and issues a separate DL 1-day pass. It's annoying, but cheaper than I could get any other way at the time.

Comment

This is certainly an option. I would like more confirmation it works.

Comment

speaking of Disney on a "dime"....if you eat the lasagna at Tony's Town Square Cafe on Main Street USA,...a castmember revealed it is Stouffer's frozen lasagna. Grocery price versus Disney price. NOT a dime.

Comment

You can definitely do both Universal parks in one day, and it is well worth it. Aside from Harry Potter, I think USF is a better park than IOA, and yes, Mummy is a great ride.
                                      I've never been to Cape Canaveral, but for a family with kids, I would skip it in favor of more theme parks. I could never pass up the "real" TOT, and the best version of the Haunted Mansion!

Comment

Working...
                                      X