Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues

The MiceChat staff is listening to your PM's and the notes provided in the flagged posts. We will provide more information in a post that will be published no later than Sunday night, 6/23/19. The link will be provided here.
See more
See less

Disney Nacho Cheese Lawsuit: Family of 4yr old Sues Over Burns

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Disney Nacho Cheese Lawsuit: Family of 4yr old Sues Over Burns

Originally posted by gameplayer951 View Post
    This is really what struck my mind while reading that article:

- Nachos for dinner?
    - Something that happened almost a complete year ago? (Do lawsuits really take that long...?)
    - Still receiving treatment for a burn 11 months later? It doesn't look that bad.
    - Those parents need much better parenting skills. I mean, come on, even my parents still check if my food is too hot for me (and I'm 16!)
    - The story doesn't say that the kid was eating nachos for dinner. Maybe he was, and probably he wasn't. He got burned by a flying container of hot cheese when he fell getting into a wobbly chair and knocked the food tray. The cheese could have been for anything, and it could have been for anyone or everyone in the family. If it was for the nachos, those could have been a part of the dinner that everyone shared. Nutritionally, it's certainly no worse than french fries, which about 99% of kids are allowed to eat with their dinners from time to time.

- Yeah, just suing now for something that happened a year ago is very, very common.

- Yeah, still getting treatment a year later for third degree burns is very, very common.

- Maybe the parents were negligent, too, and maybe they weren't. We can't really tell from this story. It may have been a hard to foresee accident, and I'm sure they didn't think that the cheese was hot enough to cause a third degree burn.

Originally posted by naumoney View Post
    Aside from the fact that this is clearly an awful, opportunistic cash grab, his lawsuit was filed in a California court, the back of every ticket clearly states that all legal action against the parks must be brought in Florida. How could the Lawyer not have know this?
    Perhaps he didn't get a copy of their ticket. Or perhaps probably knows some cases that hold those preprinted ticket terms to be unenforceable.
    Fight On!:sc: Beat the Red Wolves!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

Comment

Originally posted by Coastierox View Post
      Sorry CaliforniaAdventurer I was going to give you a yell today, but the reason we were down there ran way over and then the baby said get home. So next time man! And I still owe you a helicopter ride, but you better act fast, really really fast, I got a new job. I'll tell you about it later.
      Wait, helicopter ride? PM me !!! I've never been in a helicopter.

This is better news than winning a free nachos supreme.

Comment

Originally posted by naumoney View Post
        Aside from the fact that this is clearly an awful, opportunistic cash grab...
        Given the facts available from the published reports, it's not "clearly an awful, opportunistic cash grab." It could be... but it also could be something very different, as steamboatpete's rational post above points out.

What's endlessly fascinating to me is the repeated rush by Disney fans to automatically label ANYONE who sues Disney for ANY issue as an opportunistic cash grabber. Regardless of how few the reported facts, they're instantly cast as the perpetrator and Disney as the victim -- often with a passion usually reserved for political partisanship, nationalism or religious fervor. Very bizarre.
        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
        - Michael Eisner

Comment

Sorry but I automatically label ANYONE who serves nacho cheese sauce for ANY occassion as an opportunistic cash grabber and an enemy of the state.

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
            Sorry but I automatically label ANYONE who serves nacho cheese sauce for ANY occassion as an opportunistic cash grabber and an enemy of the state.
            What, no jalapenos?! A crime against nature!

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

I do have to admit that occasionally I put that nacho sauce on my fries. But not very often, because I do not want to offend the ketchup gods...
              He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
              follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
              DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

Comment

Originally posted by Coastierox View Post
                I do have to admit that occasionally I put that nacho sauce on my fries. But not very often, because I do not want to offend the ketchup gods...
                The ketchup gods have been angered by all this un-healthy eatin'!

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainEO,ATIS View Post
                  They demand a sacrifice! More Ketchup!!!
                  He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
                  follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
                  DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

Comment

• Reality Check

Most of the posts on this topic are offensive, almost all are uninformed. I spent 10 seconds doing an online search and found the actual legal claim of the case. Why not do the same before blaming society, bad parenting or (the truly bizarre scapegoat cited in some posts) bad nutrition?

If you read the claim and look at the exhibit, Disney is clearly liable legally and to blame morally. The question is really only should Disney have to pay as much as the parent's lawyers want. However, I'm sure Disney will have far better (at least, more expensive) lawyers, so maybe they will win. More likely, they will settle and pretend to have done nothing wrong. Just because I enjoy the Disney parks doesn't mean Disney has to be right in all situations.

Note: I had to prepare many nachos in my first job. Hot cheese gets spilled and can cause burns--although rarely to customers. What it does not do is rip the flesh off of your face as the cheese did to this 4-year old (after being dispensed and after being put on the table, no less). I'm sure Disney can come up with a scientific or medical consultant to say otherwise, but in my experience there is no way the temperature of that cheese was anywhere near just the proper temperature for food safety. I suspect the cheese was heated extremely over safe levels (and, I assume, than Disney procedures specify)--and, that the equipment was faulty (possible) or there was human error (likey) which caused this.

Even if all this is wrong, you have a four year-old who needs serious plastic surgery after going to Disneyworld. This deserves a little more than a brief "I feel sorry for the kid" followed by a long rant blaming the parents and society.

Comment

deitrichp - I agree. My post could be considered offensive and mis-informed. But, I'm merely going off my own opinion of what I think and how I would handle it as a parent. Unfortunately, people are sue happy and looking for money whereever they can get it. This, unfortunately, causes issues for those who have legitimate reasons for suing.

How is Disney liable and blame worthy? Please explain. I just want to know for my own personal knowledge.

How is it wrong for us to say we are sorry for the child and then rant? What else can we say to make it acceptable to you?

As for the parents "waiting a year" to file, maybe they filed back then and it has taken this long for it to be public and have movement. I'm not sure how these things work.
                      http://twitter.com/#!/CaseyCBeard

http://www.facebook.com/Coach.Casey.Fitness

www.beachbodycoach.com/caseyb

www.myshakeology.com/caseyb

sigpic

Comment

really for the cheese to be that hot the parents would have had to notice in the process from buying the nachos to giving them to their young child that the cheese was unusually hot from the simple fact that it RIPPED FLESH OFF OF HIS FACE ive burned myself with nacho cheese before because im dumb but ive had a little scab not a missing lip, and even then i knew that the cheese was too hot before stuffing it into my mouth, again i was just an idiot..... exactly why i have not yet undertaken the responsibility of becoming a parent. On top of all this if law suits that resulted in a monetary reward for the victor no longer existed in society the world would be an infinitely better place. yes it is terrible you decided to give ure child a boiling hot substance and he hurt himself, it doesn't give you the right to put a valuation on how much his health is worth and put blame on another party when it is purely and specifically your fault.

Comment

Originally posted by goofy donald View Post
                          On top of all this if law suits that resulted in a monetary reward for the victor no longer existed in society the world would be an infinitely better place.
                          Nope. It would just give the green light to every irresponsible, slipshod or crooked business to do whatever they wanted, with no fear of financial penalty.

The solution to frivolous lawsuits is to control frivolous lawsuits, not to throw out the system entirely.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

• Re: Reality Check

Originally posted by deitrichp View Post
                            Most of the posts on this topic are offensive, almost all are uninformed. I spent 10 seconds doing an online search and found the actual legal claim of the case. Why not do the same before blaming society, bad parenting or (the truly bizarre scapegoat cited in some posts) bad nutrition?
                            You're obviously new here.

This thread has stayed hot longer than the nacho cheese ever did.

Comment

• Re: Reality Check

Originally posted by deitrichp View Post
                              Just because I enjoy the Disney parks doesn't mean Disney has to be right in all situations.
                              Hmm... disturbingly anti-herd tendencies, with a definite non-mob bent.

You'd best go off in a corner and repeat 500 times:

"All lawsuits against the wonderfully heartwarming Disney Corporation are opportunistic cash grabs.

The Nacho Cheese case is a lawsuit.

Therefore the Nacho Cheese case is an opportunistic cash grab."

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

I think the only thing that I SHOULD sue disney for,
                                is for serving a disgusting burnt hockey puck that they call a hamburger to the public for 5 dollars at the village hause at Disneyland.

Seriously, Those things are a crime to humanity, and should come with a warning, or a picture of what it actually looks like.

I would just be happy with my 5 bucks back tho, not like.. a billion dollars...
                                I am Scary Scott,
                                Call me a turn coat, a lunatic, loup garou, or skin walker. Shape shifter, lychanthrope, A moon watcher, or just crazy.
                                I am Scary Scott, The steampunk, brony, author of Northern CA, that has just moved to Southern CA!
                                Poor? Yes. Money? Forget about it, I got none! If I had it, I wouldn't for long, I want too much stuff!
                                Disneyland for me is my absolute favorite place on earth, So I am the oddest werewolf you ever will meet.

Originally posted by sediment
                                Scary: your post is dripping something. Tastes like sarcasm.
                                Originally posted by Karalora
                                This is excellent news! There are all sorts of good changes to the park that we were promised when Hell froze over.
                                Hey, any of you like MLP Fan Fiction? (Laugh now, but It's practice for being an author some day!)
                                Anyhow, check out my profile on fimfiction.net I'm Phoenix Quill there.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainEO,ATIS View Post
                                  But me buckos, every food has a bit of nutrition!

FAREWELL AND ALOHA TO YOUUUUUUU!!!!!
                                  (lol i just had to)

back on topic:

Anyway, that's kinda like if I were boarding I don't know, Small World for example, and tripped and sprained my ankle, or if my kid tripped and sprained his ankle (i dont have kids, but u get my point), I wouldn't sue the park as long as the cast members and first aid helped us (which im sure they have cuz, i mean, theyre basicslly americas most popular theme park). I wouldn't be all like "ZOMG LAWSUIT," I'd admit that it was my fault, or just a simple accident, and get first aid. Then we all go on our merry way (to nowhere in particular XD mr toad reference) and everyone's happy.
                                  sigpic GET THAT THING OUT OF OUR BELOVED TIKI ROOM
                                  WHAT WOULD WALT THINK IF THIS "REFURBISHMENT"??!!

"Our show is delightful, we hope you agree,
                                  we hope that it fills you with pleasure and glee,
                                  because if we don't make you feel like that,
                                  we're gonna wind up on the lady's hat!"

Iago, I would like you to meet my hat.

Comment

Working...
                                  X