X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Dated Tomorrowland"

Originally posted by Taggart View Post
    This, at one point in time was seen as forward thinking, innovative, futuristic. Sure, some can dismiss it as a blanket term like "retro" now, but the forms that defined the Atomic Exotica period have solidified their place as a well respected vision of the future. The idea of what the future could be never goes out of style. Take it for what you want, but far from a "joke" it is. Either way, it still represents a look to the future from a certain point in time. Just like the current Tomorrowland.
    This is a good point. Tomorrowland does seem to share this aethetic. Does this mean Tomorrowland borrowed its concepts from established designers? Maybe, so don't blame them for piling on.

However, Walt Disney does seem to want to make a statement about "tomorrow" with its Tomorrowland. However, let's be realistic. Tomorrowland wasn't a well thought out concept then. It was incomplete when the park opened. It still seems incomplete now.

Comment

Originally posted by KingEric View Post
      Though I have all always thought that Tomorrowland at MK and Future World at Epcot was kind of redundant. Let's just make MK a toon park. Let's just come to grips with it, and toonify the whole flippin thing, and let Epcot be the real Tomorrowland.
      um, OK, except can we bring back Adventure through Inner Space? My all-time favorite ride, long gone, could be really really cool with modern technology...

Originally posted by SS77 View Post
      I still think Magic Kingdom's tomorrowland looks better than the bronze-silver-bluish mess we have here in Anaheim. lol
      Heck ya. Disneyland's current tomorrowland breaks my heart every time I see it. Rockets at ground level? No peoplemover? Just awful... Ride Space Mountain, and get the heck outta there

Originally posted by Taggart View Post

(snip) I simply want to argue that it's not irrelevant in its intent to serve an aspirational nostalgia.
      Nicely put!

Comment

I'm surprised they didn't push the spinning rockets all the way into the Central Plaza with horsedrawn streetcars circling in the opposite direction. And Buzz Lightyear guns so you can aim at them.

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch626626 View Post
          Disney needs to TRONify Tomorrowland.
          No. You want the future to look as blank and boring as the grid? And in the future you would want to be forced to play games that could kill you every day? Bring it down to just 1 Tron ride and I'll play.

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch626626 View Post
            Disney needs to TRONify Tomorrowland.
            Famous. Last. Words.

Comment

Working...
            X