Announcement

Collapse

The Future of the MiceChat Forums

See more
See less

How long does it take to get to WDW from MCO by Magical Express?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How long does it take to get to WDW from MCO by Magical Express?

Originally posted by Yackerz View Post
    Can you get magical express and still rent a car and drive there? I'd like to use Magical Express just for the sure fact of not having to wait for my luggage and having it delivered to my room.

Is it then possible to not check in at the hotel first, but just drive your rent a car to DHS or Epcot,
    and expect your luggage to be there in your room when you get back from DHS or Epcot at 11:00 or 12:00 at night?
    Technically, No. Someone is supposed to be on the bus in order to utilize magical Express luggage pickup.

BUT....they take all the bags from the airport that have the magical express tags on them. They don't check it against who is on the bus. If your luggage has the magical express tag, they will pick it up and bring it to your hotel.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

Hmm.. that is interesting! They do not verify that all people that have "magical express" are actually aboard the magical express bus then?

What if you don't check in to your resort but go to a park instead? Do they still bring your luggage to your room to be? Or is it a must that you check in? I guess to get free parking at the parks and a key for extra magic hours, it is probably best you check in anyhow.

Thanks!
      Hoping to raise enough money to go to DL from Pennsylvania with my wife for our 5 year anniversary. (We went there on our honeymoon!)

If you would like to contribute to the cause for a relatively poor private school teacher. Please private message me. I'd be very thankful.

Comment

You will need your room key to get EMH, and if you bought your tickets in a room package, your room key is also your park ticket. Also, you will need the parking pass otherwise you have to pay for parking so it benefits you to check in first. if you do the on-line check in prior to leaving home, my experience is I was checked in and in my room within 15 minutes. They are pretty fast.

I am not sure what happens to your luggage if you don't check in, I have never not checked in while doing this. I imagine that they would hold it somewhere because there is nothing stopping you from say going to get a bite to eat before checking in to your room. Or maybe they would deliver it straight to the room reserved for you, IDK.
        Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

Originally posted by StevenW View Post
          Yeah, when it works.
          I'm not sure what the margin of error is in walking from the plane to the bus is soooo... do you have some DME horror story we should know about?
          Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
            Do you honestly think it is going to take an hour an a half to get from MCO to WDW at 7pm at night with little to no traffic? I am with you on the hope for the best, plan for the worst, but I don't think the OP needs to expect the worst either.
            Well, when I said that, I was figuring the time between arrival time given by airlines (the expected time the plan lands) and when the DME bus would roll up at his Resort.

Taxi, de-plane, taking shuttle to main terminal building, finding DME, potentially crossing the entire main terminal building depending on the airline, checking in at DME (could be a HUGE queue), boarding DME, and then the DME bus pulling away could easily take 45 minutes. Might take less, might take more, but that's a good average I would think. Then, that plus travel time, 40ish minutes, puts the whole journey right at about 90 minutes. I wouldn't expect it to take less than that. My experience has shown that it takes 2-3 hours to land at MCO, get to WDW, check-in, and then get to some other point in WDW like an ADR.

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
            ^ You also don't have a full grasp on the Magical Express concept. DME is meant to cut down on those times. You don't have to worry about luggage or any of that. You literally walk off the plane then down two flights of stairs and line up for a bus.
            Not quite. It depends on the airline taken. IIRC, DME loads at bottom level at MCO's B side. If the plane arrives at a gate on A side during the busy season, it could take quite a while to get a shuttle to the main building, then cross the entire main terminal building, THEN go down those two flights of stairs/wait for an elevator, and then get in the potentially huge queue for the DME bus.

Essentially he's trading the time taken to pick up the bags at the baggage claim for the time taken to wait for & board the DME bus. They are comparable, but it is nice to not have to wait to pick up bags, then haul those bags onto a bus. DME isn't so much a time-saver as it is a labor-saver.

Can you get magical express and still rent a car and drive there? I'd like to use Magical Express just for the sure fact of not having to wait for my luggage and having it delivered to my room.

Is it then possible to not check in at the hotel first, but just drive your rent a car to DHS or Epcot,
            and expect your luggage to be there in your room when you get back from DHS or Epcot at 11:00 or 12:00 at night?
            Well, you'd have to hope that your bags aren't checked against a DME passenger list. Disney would have perfect reason to hold your bags at its processing facility because your names were not on any DME bus passenger manifest. It's not a risk that I would personally take.

Hmm.. that is interesting! They do not verify that all people that have "magical express" are actually aboard the magical express bus then?

What if you don't check in to your resort but go to a park instead? Do they still bring your luggage to your room to be? Or is it a must that you check in? I guess to get free parking at the parks and a key for extra magic hours, it is probably best you check in anyhow.
            DME is required to drop you off at your Resort. Whether you check-in then & there or not is up to you, but the DME bus drivers are forbidden from taking any passengers to any destination that isn't the Resort they're staying at, unless they're doing a multi-stop drop-off.

If you don't immediately check-in, I'm honestly not sure where your luggage would go. They'd probably go to a holding tank of sorts, then when you actually did check-in, they'd be dug out of the holding area & delivered to your room.

The only reason not to immediately check-in is if you already had valid park admission in hand and really needed to be in the park by a certain time. Probably not the best situation to stick yourself in since you'd either have to use the WDW buses that do not operate on a schedule, or you'd have to pay to park in a park's lot without having proof of being a Resort guest.

Best way to go is just choose the flight whose arrival time gives you enough time to do all you want to do when you arrive. The only thing I like to do on arrival day is have a table-service dinner at a restaurant like Ohana, and even just with that I have to make sure the plane lands no later than 6pm because it has taken 2-3 hours to land at MCO, get to WDW, check-in, and then get to somewhere else in WDW.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Comment

Wow,
              thanks for all the replies. So I am back with my updates.

1. I upgraded my reservation to the beach club.
              2. I have 2 possible reservations: 8:50 at tonys on main street (w MSEP) or 850 at a Epcot location.

I dont really know where the BC international gateway entrance gets you in epcot? Is it on the Mexico side? or more on the Canada side?

So Im considering getting to the BC, running to Epcot by say 830-850 if possible for dinner, then taking the monorail to MK for the 10-12ish hours.

I appreciate all the opinions and it is very informative to know a long and short range of times. So yeah I arrive Delta at 632 then off to BC on DME. Do you think its better to run straight to Epcot then monorail? or try taking the bus from BC to mk?

thanks again
              aloha
              Cedar

Comment

Originally posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
                Well, when I said that, I was figuring the time between arrival time given by airlines (the expected time the plan lands) and when the DME bus would roll up at his Resort.

Taxi, de-plane, taking shuttle to main terminal building, finding DME, potentially crossing the entire main terminal building depending on the airline, checking in at DME (could be a HUGE queue), boarding DME, and then the DME bus pulling away could easily take 45 minutes. Might take less, might take more, but that's a good average I would think. Then, that plus travel time, 40ish minutes, puts the whole journey right at about 90 minutes. I wouldn't expect it to take less than that. My experience has shown that it takes 2-3 hours to land at MCO, get to WDW, check-in, and then get to some other point in WDW like an ADR.
                Ah okay, that makes more sense.
                Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Comment

Originally posted by bespinally View Post
                  I dont really know where the BC international gateway entrance gets you in epcot? Is it on the Mexico side? or more on the Canada side?
                  The International Gateway is located next to the UK Pavilion on the waterway that separates the UK Pavilion and the France Pavilion.

Comment

Originally posted by bespinally View Post
                    Wow,
                    thanks for all the replies. So I am back with my updates.

1. I upgraded my reservation to the beach club.
                    2. I have 2 possible reservations: 8:50 at tonys on main street (w MSEP) or 850 at a Epcot location.

International Gateway is located in World Showcase between the France and UK pavilions (Canada side).

Originally posted by bespinally
                    So Im considering getting to the BC, running to Epcot by say 830-850 if possible for dinner, then taking the monorail to MK for the 10-12ish hours.

I appreciate all the opinions and it is very informative to know a long and short range of times. So yeah I arrive Delta at 632 then off to BC on DME. Do you think its better to run straight to Epcot then monorail? or try taking the bus from BC to mk?

thanks again
                    aloha
                    Cedar
                    Oooooh. That's going to be close. If I was in your spot, I would pick an Epcot location over a MK one simply because Epcot is much closer to Beach Club than MK, and 20 minutes could make all the difference in the world in your senario. I'm going to guess you'll be pretty tired after that flight, and won't want to have it to push it too hard to make it up to MK in time.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Comment

Just to chime in on the ME times, last trip my kids flew in on two different flights, different days (Oct 2010 16th & 17th). First arrival took almost 2.5 hours from MCO to Poly. Second flight next day arrived in under 1 hour. Previous trips had ME at about an hour, so it appears the 2.5 was some extreme. They said the wait for the bus at the airport was over an hour.

Comment

My wife and I just got back from a short 3 night stay (2/23 - 2/26) at Pop in which we used DME. This was our first time using the service and our experience with it was great. Our flight arrived at MCO at 6:05 and once we got off the plane we strolled through the airport making some short stops at some of the shops before heading down to find the DME service counter.

Check-in was easy, we showed our vouchers and were told which line to go to. As we walked to the front we were immediately told to board our bus which was there waiting. Again our vouchers were checked and the 2 of us loaded into the bus. Once on the bus we waited maybe 5 minutes before our driver told us that we would be departing soon. Shortly afterwards we were on our way.

Along the way our driver announced that we would be stopping at The Caribbean Beach Club, then Pop, then AK Lodge. Our drive to CBC took about 30 -35 minutes but seemed much shorter as we were kept entertained by the welcome video. Our stop at CBC was short as even though it was a stop on our route, no one was getting off at this resort so we were off again in no time.

Our second stop was our resort, Pop Century where we were quickly off the bus and through the front doors in no time as we only had our carry ons bags. We used the DME service for our checked bags.

Although our experience was a wonderful one and we did not have to wait long, we overheard the passenger behind us state that she had been waiting for about 1 hour total between the bus getting there and then waiting for the bus to leave MCO.

We counted ourselves lucky for our good fortune and timing.

I would also like to add that even though this is my first time posting I have been reading over the boards for a few months while planning our vacation and I just wanted to say thank you for everyone's information that they share here. Some of our choices for our trip were influenced by what we had read including which Value Resort to stay at. I must say that not having to share a bus with other resorts when heading to the parks or DTD was great.

Comment

When I rode back I was the last pick up, and it was 0400 in the morning...the trip to the airport including dropoff at Terminal A for Southwest Airlines was 45 minutes...hope that helps you
                          The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
                          -George S. Patton

Comment

Originally posted by jbird327 View Post
                            Just to chime in on the ME times, last trip my kids flew in on two different flights, different days (Oct 2010 16th & 17th). First arrival took almost 2.5 hours from MCO to Poly. Second flight next day arrived in under 1 hour. Previous trips had ME at about an hour, so it appears the 2.5 was some extreme. They said the wait for the bus at the airport was over an hour.
                            The 16th/17th discrepancy could be explained simply by the fact that that 10/16/10 was a Saturday night & 10/17/10 was a Sunday night. Not very wise to arrive at MCO on a Saturday in the middle of the big Halloween special event season. But it does hammer home the point that adequate time MUST be allowed for when planning the day's events, especially if an ADR is involved.

Comment

what if my flight arrives at midnight?

Comment

Originally posted by Brittney View Post
                                If you have the extra money for a limo, it is so much fun and you will get to your resort much quicker.
                                I disagree that a limo will get you to your resort much quicker. It might get you there a little quicker. MIGHT. It might be about the same amount of time. But to make a blanket statement that a limo will get people to their resort quicker than DME is simply not factually accurate.
                                Originally posted by Brittney View Post
                                I think it took us about 35 minutes.
                                It depends when you started timing. Above, I wrote the average DME time is 70 minutes from airplane exit to resort drop-off. And above, I also reported my 3 times of 56, 59 and 63 minutes. These are times from walking out of the airplane to being dropped off at the resort.

So let's compare apples to apples. I can say with all confidence that it is impossible you could have made it from airplane exit to resort drop-off by a car service (I assume this was a car service and not an actual limousine, not that that matters). I don't mean this as a negative towards you ... not at all ... but I want to make sure that people don't get the mistaken impression that a car service will take half as long as DME.

The walk from the airplane to baggage claim will take about 10 minutes, depending on the location of your arrival gate. This includes waiting for and riding the little monorail from the airside building to the terminal building. Then there's the wait at baggage claim; could be 5 minutes, could be 20 minutes. Then there's getting the bags to the car (which the driver does, of course), loading the car, making sure everything is what and where it should be, call that 5 minutes in total. And then there's the drive to the resort. Even the closest resort will be about a 25 minute drive from MCO. 10 minutes to baggage claim + 5 minutes minimum at baggage claim + 5 minutes getting everything and everyone to the car + 25 minutes to the resort = minimum of 45 minutes from airplane exit to resort drop-off. Minimum. Could be longer, depending on baggage claim.

My own personal minimum time using DME is 56 minutes. That's 11 minutes longer than the minimum car service time. If we're basing it ONLY on time, I can't justify the $120 or so for a car service on getting to my resort 11 minutes earlier.

Now, of course, a car service provides a private ride and personalized service, and if someone wants that, then the price is well worth it.

So I'm not arguing that people should choose DME over a car service. I'm simply putting it out there that there's not, on average, a substantial TIME difference between the two modes of transportation, and if TIME is the ONLY consideration, I recommend that people save their money and use DME. But, again, if the journey itself is important, if the personal attention of a driver is important, if enjoying a nice ride with just your own party is important, then by all means a car service is money very well spent.

Comment

What if you don't check in to your resort but go to a park instead? Do they still bring your luggage to your room to be?
                                  No, that would be impossible. At WDW, there is no "room to be" (but I like the expression!). Even if you've done online check-in, even if your room is otherwise pre-assigned, your room isn't YOUR room until you physically check-in. At any time before that, a room pre-assigned to you can be assigned to someone else for a variety of reasons.

And therefore, there's no way they can deliver your DME bags to your room until after you've checked in.

Comment

Originally posted by adamthecarolla View Post
                                    what if my flight arrives at midnight?
                                    As long as you have a DME reservation, they will be there for you. There is no such thing as a flight that arrives too late or departs too early for DME.

Comment

Yackerz, if you want to take DME and also rent a car, then you can just rent a car on property.
                                      Good morning, son
                                      In twenty years from now
                                      Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                                      And I can tell you 'bout today
                                      And how I picked you up and everything changed
                                      It was pain
                                      Sunny days and rain
                                      I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

I used DME last September flying in from Cincinnati to MCO. It was my first time using DME and I was pleasently surprised. My flight was delayed in Cincinnati and as soon as I got to MCO and found my way down to the buses it went rather quickly from there. I had a bit of a wait in line (bout 20 minutes), but I was first at the rope so I think I missed the prior bus by a few minutes. I think with the wait and the bus ride to the Caribbean Beach Resort the total time was about 45-55 minutes. I was the only one on my bus for CBR and felt bad the driver had to take just me there!
                                        With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

Comment

Working...
                                        X