• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reserve Rides From Home

we as a society are so spoiled.

Comment

Originally posted by Dapper Dan View Post
      I am not what one would call a business person. I don't really understand why management is putting so much emphasis on hourly attraction capacity. I suppose it makes sense that if you are paying the costs to keep an attraction in operation you might want to get as many people on it as possible, but that doesn't generate any more money than running an attraction with nobody on it. Since the death of the ticket book, individual rides have not generated any income to offset their running cost, so what does it matter if The American Adventure plays to a crowd of 30 or 300? It's not lie they get to shut down early if they hit their daily quota of guests. The attraction will run X number of times a day and cost Y dollars completely independent of how many people are on it. The only way to get ahead of this is to replace elaborate rides with high operational costs, with simpler and less expensive ones.
      Filling seats is important for a few things
      1) it increases the overall capacity of the park. More people on rides = more people you can sell tickets to each day.
      2) More capacity means guests can can enjoy more attractions per visit = happier guests

The reason you want guests filling those seats is for the most part so you can fit more people in the park.

The more effecient each load cycle is... the less cycles people need to wait.

I think people are making this out to be the devil when it's pretty much like dinner reservations.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to schedule to do the meet & greet instead of 'maybe' getting it done?

It's the same benefit to why they offer M&G locations now with multiple characters instead of just one... and offer fixed M&G locations.

It doesn't mean its the ONLY thing you do or you have to give up every other way to experience something

Comment

Originally posted by Jerren View Post
        As for the folks staying off property, I don't think Disney will offer it to guests who stay off site here's why: Disney has been looking for ways to increase on site guests without having to offer the perks they have been like free dining. Having a pre-scheduled fast pass option or a front of line access option like Universal would be the logical choice it's much cheaper than special offers when you add the cost of the special advertising etc. on top of the bottom line losses. Scheduled ride times would cost very little outside of the development costs as the infrastructure is pretty much already in place and would not cut revenues coming in the way free dining and room discounts do today. This would get Disney closer to it's long stated goals of getting back to pre 9/11 operations with little or no discounts offered to guests while maintaining relatively full capacity.
        Yup, my money's on Disney strictly making this for resort only guests, which to me creates even more chaos. If you're staying offsite forget about getting any table service in the entire resort. This will only worsen the availability of restaurant seating.

Comment

Originally posted by toonaspie View Post
          Yup, my money's on Disney strictly making this for resort only guests, which to me creates even more chaos. If you're staying offsite forget about getting any table service in the entire resort. This will only worsen the availability of restaurant seating.
          Huh? Restaurant seating is already ADR... how does advanced reservations for OTHER things make restaurant seating worse?

Comment

Like I said in the Mickey FastPass thread, this is not about increasing the number of attractions you can experience. It is another attempt to try and force guests to get to the magic number of 8.5 attractions per day and spend the rest of the day shopping. It was tried by limiting the number of available attractions at Disney's Animal Kingdom, Disney's California Adventure, Walt Disney Studios Park and Hong Kong Disneyland. FastPass was supposed to get you into shops, not in line for another attractions. Disney is still trying to force the focus of the parks away from attractions and onto retail, this time hoping to do it by offering limited to no waits.

Comment

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
              Like I said in the Mickey FastPass thread, this is not about increasing the number of attractions you can experience. It is another attempt to try and force guests to get to the magic number of 8.5 attractions per day and spend the rest of the day shopping. It was tried by limiting the number of available attractions at Disney's Animal Kingdom, Disney's California Adventure, Walt Disney Studios Park and Hong Kong Disneyland. FastPass was supposed to get you into shops, not in line for another attractions. Disney is still trying to force the focus of the parks away from attractions and onto retail, this time hoping to do it by offering limited to no waits.
              The weird thing is, I see this having the opposite effect. I know they think that people will be casually wandering from shop to shop eating mickey mouse icecream bars while they patiently wait for their next attraction reservation to come up, but it won't happen. There will be people who will reserve rides from park open to park close, sprinting between each one, not even leaving themselves enough time to look through the gift shop that each attraction exits into.

Even if they don't let you reserve ride times too close together, a lot of people would still rather ride the Carousel of Progress and the Peoplemover to kill time between their Buzz Lightyear and Space Mountain reservations than go to Merchant of Venus and buy the same Star Wars Legos they could get cheaper at their local Target back home.

I wonder if they ever considered boosting their retail sales by not offering the exact same cheaply made crap in every location.
              It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.
              sigpic

Comment

The weird thing is, I see this having the opposite effect. I know they think that people will be casually wandering from shop to shop eating mickey mouse icecream bars while they patiently wait for their next attraction reservation to come up, but it won't happen. There will be people who will reserve rides from park open to park close, sprinting between each one, not even leaving themselves enough time to look through the gift shop that each attraction exits into.

Even if they don't let you reserve ride times too close together, a lot of people would still rather ride the Carousel of Progress and the Peoplemover to kill time between their Buzz Lightyear and Space Mountain reservations than go to Merchant of Venus and buy the same Star Wars Legos they could get cheaper at their local Target back home.
                It all depends on how many attractions get placed into this system and how much Disney tries to block out a day of shotgunning attractions. Too much control and those little things like the WEDway PeopleMover and the Carousel of Progress now have an increase in demand.

I wonder if they ever considered boosting their retail sales by not offering the exact same cheaply made crap in every location.
                Probably not seeing as Disney as that would be the "Waltie" way and that's just lame. Why else would Disney keep insisting on trying to come up with all of the other ways to get people to buy more instead of just trying different merchandise? Its the same company that, instead of giving the Disney Store compelling merchandise, thinks fiber optic trees will get people to spend more for nearly the same toys available for less at Target and Walmart (the exclusive toys are slightly different but not really enough for most children to notice). I guess it all depends on how real their public denial is, if they really do believe that Universal's registers are ringing just because Harry Potter is a fad and new.

Comment

It all depends on how many attractions get placed into this system and how much Disney tries to block out a day of shotgunning attractions. Too much control and those little things like the WEDway PeopleMover and the Carousel of Progress now have an increase in demand.

Probably not seeing as Disney as that would be the "Waltie" way and that's just lame. Why else would Disney keep insisting on trying to come up with all of the other ways to get people to buy more instead of just trying different merchandise? Its the same company that, instead of giving the Disney Store compelling merchandise, thinks fiber optic trees will get people to spend more for nearly the same toys available for less at Target and Walmart (the exclusive toys are slightly different but not really enough for most children to notice). I guess it all depends on how real their public denial is, if they really do believe that Universal's registers are ringing just because Harry Potter is a fad and new.
                  These two posts are right on the money. They are out of their minds if they think I want to spend money on all this merchandise that saturates every theme park, every disney store, every Target, every Walmart, ebay, etc. These days, I'm trying to be as economical as possible when I go to Disney. That means I want to spend ZERO dollars on merchandise I'm not remotely interested in anyway. They can't possibly replicate the retail experience at WWOHP, and they should not even try. Shopping there is fundamental to the experience: The ability to buy unique items that only exist in a fictional beloved world brought to life. If Pygmie Puffs were available at Walmart, their appeal would drop like a stone, and the Pygie Puff we own would go from being a prized possession to just another stuffed animal taking up space in the closet. And the shopping experience at WWOHP can't even last long... we don't need any more Pygmie Puffs, and the next time we go, we'll just be riding rides and not doing any shopping.

I want MORE, IMAGINITIVE, IMMERSIVE RIDES. That would keep me coming back to Disney. Forget the stupid shopping. Who's got money burning a hole in their pocket anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by lily23 View Post
                    I want MORE, IMAGINITIVE, IMMERSIVE RIDES. That would keep me coming back to Disney. Forget the stupid shopping. Who's got money burning a hole in their pocket anymore?
                    You are because Disney gave you a discount on your admission and lodging. But, like you, people are just saving those "savings" instead of spending them merchandise. The drop in guest spending may have been initiated by economics but it was continued because, even as people had money, they just have no interest in buying what Disney offers. Now it seems that Disney may have conditioned too many to expect discounts.

Comment

You are because Disney gave you a discount on your admission and lodging. But, like you, people are just saving those "savings" instead of spending them merchandise. The drop in guest spending may have been initiated by economics but it was continued because, even as people had money, they just have no interest in buying what Disney offers. Now it seems that Disney may have conditioned too many to expect discounts.
                      Disney gave me a discount on my admission and lodging? Uh, that's news to me! I haven't stayed on property in years because I can't get a good rate anymore. Ten years ago, I could bide my time and get a reasonable rate, if I kept calling back and checking, asking about different dates, etc. Now it's just always Too Expensive, no matter what. Now I'll grant you, the fifteen-months-for-the-price-of-twelve on the AP was very nice last year. But it wasn't offered this year. I actually didn't renew AP's this year. I might try the "magic your way" when I'm ready to go back.

Anyway, I think the point you are making is I could buy their merchandise if I really wanted to (yup), which I absolutely don't. You are right about that. I would much much rather ride CoP!
                      Last edited by lily23; 03-04-2011, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lily23 View Post
                        These two posts are right on the money. They are out of their minds if they think I want to spend money on all this merchandise that saturates every theme park, every disney store, every Target, every Walmart, ebay, etc. These days, I'm trying to be as economical as possible when I go to Disney. That means I want to spend ZERO dollars on merchandise I'm not remotely interested in anyway. They can't possibly replicate the retail experience at WWOHP, and they should not even try. Shopping there is fundamental to the experience: The ability to buy unique items that only exist in a fictional beloved world brought to life. If Pygmie Puffs were available at Walmart, their appeal would drop like a stone, and the Pygie Puff we own would go from being a prized possession to just another stuffed animal taking up space in the closet. ?
                        My thoughts exactly my gf (who's part of the reason I'm going to transfer down to Orlando) and her friends can't see the appeal of half of the CRAP that Disney puts in the gift shops...seriously what is the appeal of vinalmation? She said some of those dolls sit on the shelf for ages before someone buys them...and if it was a unique park item, I shouldn't be able to go ONLINE and buy the thing, ruins the uniqueness for the item completely, and then I don't want to buy it when I get into the park,where it'd hold a different memory for me...
                        The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
                        -George S. Patton

Comment

I think a lot of people are overracting here about this. They are acting like this is going to be forced upon them. And that every ride will be subject to it. Which I don't think is the case. Mostly likely it will just be another option if you want to use it or not. And like previous posters have said this will work similiar to fast passes and not dinner reservations.

Or this entire thing could just be a trial balloon to see how people react to this.

Comment

I'm really not liking the idea of this. I think it could really hurt more than it could help.
                            Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

Comment

Heh. I remember a while ago there was a news story about an airline not letting a kid carry on the PotC sword he got at a gift shop in WDW. My first thought was, "What kind of an idiot buys a PotC sword at Disney World when he can get the same hing for less at his local Wal-Mart?"

Comment

Something else that could have been done with the $1,000,000,000 price tag of this project:

Rebuild nearly 1/2 of opening day EPCOT Center. This does not include The Living Seas, and may or may not include Horizons, but it does include Journey into Imagination even though it didn't open for a couple months. See, EPCOT Center cost a billion to build back in the early 80s. When we adjust that for inflation into 2011 dollars, the same billion dollar investment is enough to fund 43.8% of the park's construction.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying Epcot should be the top priority. I just know how much it cost to build, so it was the most accurate thing I could think of.
                                It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.
                                sigpic

Comment

First - this project didn't cost a billion dollars. It's part of a billion dollar R&D initiative.

Second - any comparison to the the 1.3 billion of EPCOT's cost is futile because the cost of construction then vs now (probably would be more like 4+ billion dollars today) plus one is building a park in open dirt, the other is rebuilding which is much more expensive.

With a single marque attraction costing upwards of $100-300 million - you really think 1 billion would rebuild half a park?

1 billion plus is building one land, and rehabing PARTS of DCA
                                  SDL is budgeted at over 3 billion for it's first phase.

People need to get off this '1 billion price tag' thought - it's a complete misapplication of the information available. Disney did a R&D boost - this is just one of many of the fruitions of that investment.

Comment

Working...
                                  X