Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

Am I the only one that doesn't like Finding Nemo: The Musical?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Am I the only one that doesn't like Finding Nemo: The Musical?

I will probably get TONS of flag for this but... Seeing this show way back in 2007, I thought it was absolutely disappointing.

The songs felt.. well.. awkward, it didn't seem like it belonged there. Like some studio heads were sitting at a table and were like..

"Well guys, we need to replace Tarzan Rocks".
    "I got it! Let's take a popular movie with no music and make it have music!"
    "You mean turning a non-musical into a musical?"
    "Exactly!"
    "So which movie do you have in mind?"
    "Well let's see.. The Animal Kingdom.. hmm.. Well, we already have A Bug's Life.. What about Finding Nemo?"
    "Brilliant! Fish are part of the Animal Kingdom!"
    "Yep! And we haven't represented them clearly at the park at all!"
    "Quick! Someone give me a napkin so I can write the songs".

I don't know if it's just my 15 year old self from 4 years ago thinking this, but I just didn't like it at all. When I go back this summer, my opinion might change, but as of right now my opinion stands.

The puppetry was amazing and so were the effects, I just HATED the songs.

Re: Am I the only one that doesn't like Finding Nemo: The Musical?

My GF and I pretty much thought it was the lamest thing ever. in fact i am not even aloud to speak of it by name anymore. And no I am not kidding
    These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
    My company had a special night at the park
    WdW trip report with WWoHP
    NYE 2011 trip report
    Mice Chat 7th anniversary
    Leap year 24 hour report
    New DCA trip report
    NYE 2012
    HKDL trip report

Comment

I love Finding Nemo: The Musical! The songwriters (Tony Award winner Robert Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez, his wife) do have a very particular lyrical style but I thought they did a great job representing the characters through song and style (ex: Crush singing a Beach Boys-style number, Big Blue World as a bright ensemble opener, Just Keep Swimming as a fast-paced, silly number akin to Dory's personality). Lopez and Anderson-Lopez were/are very passionate about the project and I can promise you it wasn't written haphazardly. I thought, as a piece that isn't meant for Broadway and simply meant to entertain the masses in a theme park, it was a great and well executed piece of musical theatre and it is, quite possibly, one of the most entertaining things in AK.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Gaston View Post
        Agree 100%. Some of the songs have their moments, but never really come together. The story doesn't seemed edited enough to fit in the time allotted and it feels a bit "and then this happens and then this happens....".
        Last edited by flotsam_mike; 02-23-2011, 06:44 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

ORDDU: My sisters and I hated the songs for this, as well. They come across as though they were written by fifth graders with no talent what-so-ever.

ORWEN: That's not to say the visuals of the show aren't pretty enough.

ORDDU: But--overall--we disliked the production and don't bother to watch it any longer.

ORWEN: The Festival of the Lion King holds up much better for us.

Comment

It's still better than the monstrosity that is Toy Story the Musical.

Comment

I have nothing against the show itself, and I think the songs were fine. My problem is with the concept of having an on stage actor in full view playing an animated character. I had the same problem with the old Lion King show in the MK - I just didn't know where to direct my attention. The young lady that played Nemo was a wonderful actress. But if I'm looking at her performance, then why is there that big fish puppet there as well? Maybe I'm just a simple lad, but there are too many elements on stage for my brain to keep track of.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Gaston View Post
                I will probably get TONS of flag for this but... Seeing this show way back in 2007, I thought it was absolutely disappointing.

The songs felt.. well.. awkward, it didn't seem like it belonged there. Like some studio heads were sitting at a table and were like..

"Well guys, we need to replace Tarzan Rocks".
                "I got it! Let's take a popular movie with no music and make it have music!"
                "You mean turning a non-musical into a musical?"
                "Exactly!"
                "So which movie do you have in mind?"
                "Well let's see.. The Animal Kingdom.. hmm.. Well, we already have A Bug's Life.. What about Finding Nemo?"
                "Brilliant! Fish are part of the Animal Kingdom!"
                "Yep! And we haven't represented them clearly at the park at all!"
                "Quick! Someone give me a napkin so I can write the songs".

I don't know if it's just my 15 year old self from 4 years ago thinking this, but I just didn't like it at all. When I go back this summer, my opinion might change, but as of right now my opinion stands.

I disliked the idea of turning Nemo into a musical so much, I've never seen the show.

Originally posted by flotsam_mike View Post
                Agree 100%. Some of the songs have their moments, but never really come together. The story doesn't seemed edited enough to fit in the time allotted and it feels a bit "and then this happens and then this happens....".
                Kind of how I feel about the Beauty and the Beast show. "Through a series of strange circumstances, Belle finds herself a prisoner in a castle with a beast..." um, ok

Originally posted by danyoung View Post
                I have nothing against the show itself, and I think the songs were fine. My problem is with the concept of having an on stage actor in full view playing an animated character. I had the same problem with the old Lion King show in the MK - I just didn't know where to direct my attention. The young lady that played Nemo was a wonderful actress. But if I'm looking at her performance, then why is there that big fish puppet there as well? Maybe I'm just a simple lad, but there are too many elements on stage for my brain to keep track of.
                Hmm. That sounds weird. Is she holding the puppet? I might have to suck it up and see this show just to understand what you're all talking about. Though I do hate bad music, and the snippet of "big blue world" at the end of the nemo ride in epcot doesn't sound too promising

Comment

Yes, all of the "actors" are holding puppets, and working their mouths and eyes and such with triggers. Most of the fish are held up on a stick, so you can easily just look at the characters. But with the actor right there on stage, and doing much more than just holding a puppet, a lot of the performance is in the actor as well. It just becomes distracting to me to have to watch multiple elements for each character.

Comment

No. I hated it.

Comment

Personally speaking, I know a few people in the show. I enjoy it, but it isn't my favorite show on property.

If I were to rank the WDW shows, it would be as follows.

1. Festival of the Lion King
                      2. Beauty and the Best Live on Stage
                      3. Finding Nemo the Musical
                      4. Lights Action Motors
                      5. Voyage of the Little Mermaid
                      Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

I love Finding Nemo. I enjoy going all the time
                        Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 98- Port OrleansMarch 03- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 03- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 05- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 06- AS Sports (Solo Trip)May 24, 06 to Jan 5, 07- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 07- offsite (solo trip)March 1-3, 2007- Dad + Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 07- CP (CS)Aug 10-12, 07- GF/P&PMay 21-Aug 15, 08- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 08- AKLMarch 25-29, 09 (off-site)Aug 10, 09-Jan 2, 10- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (East)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL DreamJan 20-24, 2014: DCL MagicFeb 17/18, 2015 AS Music

Jan 12- Aug 5, 2005- Fantasyland Merchandise
                        May 24, 2006 to Jan 5, 2007- Character Attendant
                        May 16- Aug 10, 2007- Epcot WS Custodial/Seasonal CA
                        May 21- July 5, 2008: Casey's (QSFB); July 6-Aug 15, 2008: character attendant
                        Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: Toy Story Mania
                        Jan 3-May 14, 2010: Great Movie Ride
                        May 16, 2010~ Fulltime

Comment

Yes, all of the "actors" are holding puppets, and working their mouths and eyes and such with triggers. Most of the fish are held up on a stick, so you can easily just look at the characters. But with the actor right there on stage, and doing much more than just holding a puppet, a lot of the performance is in the actor as well. It just becomes distracting to me to have to watch multiple elements for each character.
                          I've never seen the show except on TV specials and I agree, it just seems wrong to me to have a show with actors you can SEE holding up puppets, I think kids probably get confused by it also.
                          My Blog: http://imagineeringmind.wordpress.com

Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS

Comment

Don't like the Fish being puppets. And the songs probably suck too.

Comment

How can you say the songs probably suck if you've never seen the show?

Comment

How can you say the songs probably suck if you've never seen the show?
                                he just said that he saw the show in 2007....

Comment

Really? Where? There's only one post by Stitch626626 in this thread, and he said nothing about 2007.

Not that it really matters or anything . . .

Comment

Finding Nemo the Musical is an amazing show. At first I felt it was yet another way we were getting Nemo shoved down our throats, but it pleasantly surprised me.

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch626626 View Post
                                      Don't like the Fish being puppets. And the songs probably suck too.
                                      not really. The songs are pretty good, actually

Originally posted by ChrisFL View Post
                                      I've never seen the show except on TV specials and I agree, it just seems wrong to me to have a show with actors you can SEE holding up puppets, I think kids probably get confused by it also.
                                      Actually, most of the kids I've seen don't seem to notice
                                      Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 98- Port OrleansMarch 03- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 03- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 05- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 06- AS Sports (Solo Trip)May 24, 06 to Jan 5, 07- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 07- offsite (solo trip)March 1-3, 2007- Dad + Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 07- CP (CS)Aug 10-12, 07- GF/P&PMay 21-Aug 15, 08- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 08- AKLMarch 25-29, 09 (off-site)Aug 10, 09-Jan 2, 10- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (East)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL DreamJan 20-24, 2014: DCL MagicFeb 17/18, 2015 AS Music

Jan 12- Aug 5, 2005- Fantasyland Merchandise
                                      May 24, 2006 to Jan 5, 2007- Character Attendant
                                      May 16- Aug 10, 2007- Epcot WS Custodial/Seasonal CA
                                      May 21- July 5, 2008: Casey's (QSFB); July 6-Aug 15, 2008: character attendant
                                      Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: Toy Story Mania
                                      Jan 3-May 14, 2010: Great Movie Ride
                                      May 16, 2010~ Fulltime

Comment

The only things I hate more at WDW are LMA, Tiki room, Speedway, and stitch (won't even capitalize that one).
                                        I have worked:
                                        T-Land Attractions - Speedway, Space Mountain, Training Facilitator May 08- April 09
                                        Fantasyland Attractions - Teacups, Winnie the Pooh, Snow White's Scary Adventures April 09- May09
                                        Icon Attractions (studios) - Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, Fantasmic May10- Aug10

Have lived in Chatham and Patterson.

Comment

Working...
                                        X