This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] question about the Great Movie Ride

why is the Great Movie Ride's tour operators so limited in their improvisational dialogue compared to the Jungle Cruise. I have yet to have the same Jungle Cruise, with different jokes, observations, break-out-of-character moments, and general good times! But the Movie Ride people seem very limited in their ability. They always seem so tired and scripted and the acting pieces between the mobsters are border-line terrible every time i see it. So howcome they can't spruce it up a bit and have a little more fun with the crowd? I think it would do wonders for the ride.

Re: question about the Great Movie Ride

completely agree 100% granted ive had a mediocre jungle cruise operator once or twice but they are far better then the ones on great movie ride. Get CM's like those on the jungle cruise in great movie ride and it wud be one of my favorite rides in the world. ive been on it once before with some amazing CM's and it was an unparalleled experience, infinately better just awesome

Comment

@IndyFan1 - The jungle cruise used to (correct me if I am wrong) have 4 scripts (and it may still have the 4). I think over time they have just loosened the reigns a bit.

Over at GMR it has been a topic of debate for quite a while, since the CMs really want to be able to do their own thing. But as far as I understand it, it has to do with licensing, and the fact that how those properties are viewed, described, and presented is all part of the original agreement Disney made with each of the intellectual property owners. If someone can add some additional details it would be appreciated.
      Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

Originally posted by KingEric View Post
        Over at GMR it has been a topic of debate for quite a while, since the CMs really want to be able to do their own thing. But as far as I understand it, it has to do with licensing, and the fact that how those properties are viewed, described, and presented is all part of the original agreement Disney made with each of the intellectual property owners. If someone can add some additional details it would be appreciated.
        Correct. CMs actually have certain things they MUST say in the spiel and other ones are options. This is how you get some variation, but it remains standard. For instance, they might talk about a different fact about James Cagney or Casablanca. However, the more your ride it, the more it might just sound like the last one. (Most CMs tend to use the shortest lines as it is often the easiest for them the memorize. Go figure!) If you ever get stopped due to any technical issue... that's when the interesting movie facts come out.

YouTube - Stuck on Hollywood Studios Great Movie Ride

Plus when they are busier and running two vehicles at once, there are certain times from a show quality standpoint the CMs are supposed to spiel the same thing. (Think of the Wizard of Oz scene or before you even start to move.) If they were saying different things, guests in the back rows would have even more difficulty hearing between the two v. them spieling the same.

Also, there are a lot of cues that we don't always or can't always see anymore -- especially in the gangster scene. Once these were pointed out to me, I became well aware of them and I understand why they make certain moves, etc. Sadly, it is often not as noticeable for most guests due to the low-key technology in 2011 v. 1989 when the attraction opened.
        Author of MiceChat Column:

View all Mice Munchies.

Comment

I don't think it's the dialog as much as the acting. I've always had the same opinion you did when I ride GMR until my recent visit. I've always had female guides who's voices go waaaaay up high when the excitement starts (as much as it pains me to say this about my own gender, it's unfortunately true - we do that sometimes) - this time around, however, I had a male guide and he was really good - plus the actor who portrayed the gangster that we pick up along the way was totally into his role as well. It made a huge difference.

Comment

The managers in this area are very finicky about what is spieled sadly. As to jungle cruise, there is not that much variation, one of my old roommates works there and complains all the time about doing the same spiel over and over and not being able to do anything different because the managers there are constantly "spying" on them making sure they do the right spiel. =(
            I have worked:
            T-Land Attractions - Speedway, Space Mountain, Training Facilitator May 08- April 09
            Fantasyland Attractions - Teacups, Winnie the Pooh, Snow White's Scary Adventures April 09- May09
            Icon Attractions (studios) - Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, Fantasmic May10- Aug10

Have lived in Chatham and Patterson.

Comment

I don't mind the speil. There are enough options for me to be able to change the script around each time
              Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 98- Port OrleansMarch 03- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 03- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 05- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 06- AS Sports (Solo Trip)May 24, 06 to Jan 5, 07- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 07- offsite (solo trip)March 1-3, 2007- Dad + Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 07- CP (CS)Aug 10-12, 07- GF/P&PMay 21-Aug 15, 08- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 08- AKLMarch 25-29, 09 (off-site)Aug 10, 09-Jan 2, 10- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (East)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL DreamJan 20-24, 2014: DCL MagicFeb 17/18, 2015 AS Music

Jan 12- Aug 5, 2005- Fantasyland Merchandise
              May 24, 2006 to Jan 5, 2007- Character Attendant
              May 16- Aug 10, 2007- Epcot WS Custodial/Seasonal CA
              May 21- July 5, 2008: Casey's (QSFB); July 6-Aug 15, 2008: character attendant
              Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: Toy Story Mania
              Jan 3-May 14, 2010: Great Movie Ride
              May 16, 2010~ Fulltime

Comment

I remember when I was a kid going on the GMR, the CMs were completely into their roles. Mind you this was in the early 90s. My past visit two years ago, the tour guide and gangster were just pathetic. You could tell they were bored, didn't want to be there and really made the ride less enjoyable. This has happened to me quite a few times since. I assumed they are over worked, but it's always great to have actors that give 110 percent... like back in the day
                "If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney

Comment

Working...
                X