This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] IOA versus MK

Recently took the family back to IOA for our children's trip to the Universal Property.

And for the record we visit a MK and another Disney Park 1/2 times a week

Obviously we were impressed with Harry Potter as a land the most immersive theme even with the exposed steel coasters, I've ever experienced (never been to Disney Sea).

That being said Point of Entry is a very nice "anti main street" entry point save the chain aspect

Seuss Landing with minor tweaks is as good as any land at WDW:
    The tweaks adding two rides Horton Hears a Who & Grinch

Lost Continent despite its reduced size still is richly themed and has 2.5 reasonable attractions

The fountain is very interactive but sorry its not a full attraction despite the maps belief that it is

Jurassic Park is themed the way Dinoland should have been done its ok to be hokey but you don't have to do chester and hester, have cute signs and some bad puns but the focal point needs to be the landscape and theme

Toon Lagoon & Marvel Super Hero Island do need some work perhaps a 3-D movie for the toons and one more ride and obviously with Marvel at some point Universal will say "uncle" and retheme this portion of the park

The staff at times was very good to "going thru the motions" not at disney's level but a lot closer than it would have been years ago

Overall it was a solid experience exceeding our expectations

Obviously IOA needs more depth to every be considered MK's "equal" but its theming and e ticket rides seem to already be there

Re: IOA versus MK

IOA and Magic Kingdom are so different it is hard to even compare them one on one. That said, if I had to visit only one of those two parks on a trip to Florida, I would choose IOA ... Mainly because the original and better Magic Kingdom is here in CA anyway.
    sigpic

Comment

just like you said you cannot compare MK and IOA you cannot compare MK and Disneyland, The bigger, newer and in my opinion better MK is back in Orlando. i don't want to start another which ones better fight here but honestly MK is just a whole different animal.

Comment

Originally posted by goofy donald View Post
        The bigger, newer and in my opinion better MK is back in Orlando.
        I guess in bigger and newer you are talking about when the park opened, not the current condition of many of the attractions.
        sigpic

Comment

Comment

granted upkeep has not been the best in recent years but with the new development opening in the next few years and a lot of repairs being done throughout the park a sense a very large turn around. I have more faith now then ever. MK still wins in my book.

Comment

As both a teen and a thrill seeker myself, almost not true anymore i feel so old, I can honestly say that is a false statement as i find plenty to enjoy at MK. That is one of the problems of people today. You don't go to MK for the rides you go for the entire experience, something that is not offered anywhere else in the world and will only improve with the new expansion, period. Now that repairs to issues in the park are being made it will only make things better however even with the park as it was in its lowest point, it is still drawing more people then any theme-park in the world by a fairly large margin, thats got to say something. The issue with universal is, even though i do love the parks for what they are, is especially at IOA they rely so heavily on movie franchises that will sooner or later become obscure on the public's mind. this causes a constant turnover of ideas in the park which granted will make some pretty cool rides and tech in the short term, unfortunately just doesn't give people a personal connection in the long term that makes them want to come back again and again. if you go to MK in 15 years small world will still be there and you can remember that time you sat in Pinocchio village Haus and had a snack with your family and watched the boats load and actually relive that memory. right now your treating it as a ride vs ride duel when unfortunately your just not looking at the big picture.

Comment

double post sorry

Comment

I agree with goofy donald that you don't go to a Disney Park for thrill rides and coasters you go for the entire experience and to be immersed in an environment where it takes you to a different place or a different time and a place you could not go to in your ordinary life. If people are looking for thrill rides they should go to Six Flags or something. But if they want to be taken away from their everyday life Disney Parks are the way to go. Also something about Universal is ,while their rides are great, they don't have an emotional connection with it's guests and also Disney Parks have attractions for the whole family to enjoy unlike Universal who tends to single out one type of guest.

P.S not bashing on Universal or anything I actually have a season pass to USH it's just that's what I've noticed about their parks compared to Disney.

Comment

Originally posted by goofy donald View Post
                    As both a teen and a thrill seeker myself, almost not true anymore i feel so old, I can honestly say that is a false statement as i find plenty to enjoy at MK. That is one of the problems of people today. You don't go to MK for the rides you go for the entire experience, something that is not offered anywhere else in the world and will only improve with the new expansion, period. Now that repairs to issues in the park are being made it will only make things better however even with the park as it was in its lowest point, it is still drawing more people then any theme-park in the world by a fairly large margin, thats got to say something. The issue with universal is, even though i do love the parks for what they are, is especially at IOA they rely so heavily on movie franchises that will sooner or later become obscure on the public's mind. this causes a constant turnover of ideas in the park which granted will make some pretty cool rides and tech in the short term, unfortunately just doesn't give people a personal connection in the long term that makes them want to come back again and again. if you go to MK in 15 years small world will still be there and you can remember that time you sat in Pinocchio village Haus and had a snack with your family and watched the boats load and actually relive that memory. right now your treating it as a ride vs ride duel when unfortunately your just not looking at the big picture.
                    Let me just point out that this is based on what one hears in Europe and in Scandinavia. In Sweden , my homeplace Epcot is only known to be the most boring themepark in the world just to name one thing about WDW. Most people get recomendations to skip Disney by travel agencies and go for Universal insted. I am sure you like MK and I like MK myself. But there is more for everybody in IOA.

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
                      Let me just point out that this is based on what one hears in Europe and in Scandinavia. In Sweden , my homeplace Epcot is only known to be the most boring themepark in the world just to name one thing about WDW. Most people get recomendations to skip Disney by travel agencies and go for Universal insted. I am sure you like MK and I like MK myself. But there is more for everybody in IOA.
                      I doubt that. I've never been to IOA, so I'm a bit bias, but I seriously doubt that there is more for everyone at IOA. IOA obviously has more thrill rides than Disney, but so does Six Flags. All Six Flags is about is the thrill. And they almost went BANKRUPT. Disney's got Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain and if your REALLY up for the challenge It's a Small World. Sure IOA has more thrills than Disney, but Disney DOES have more to offer for kids. And adults will always have their childhood memories of disney that draw them back in. With IOA, you've got a bunch of thrill rides, but almost nothing that will give kids the memories that Disney can. Sure, they just got Harry Potter land. That does give Disney competition. But eventually, they will lose Marvel land and their best ride: Amazing Adventures of Spiderman. IOA is the place to go if all you want is an adrenaline boost. But if you want memories, and a place to go with the whole family, Disney is the place to be.

Don't say that my theory is stupid TimmyTimmyTimmy, because this is my opinion. Just like yours is regarding Disney Sea.

Comment

I dunno, having recently come back from a trip down there, I'll post a trip report hopefully by monday, but it's been (still is)hectic with catching up with Life and what-not but my group had more fun at the MK than we did at IOA, granted we did enjoy all of the thrill rides, there was just more for everyone at MK...

It may have been the lack of a wait time for any of the attractions, but IOA was only a 3/4 day park for us, and we did EVERYTHING! The MK at the pace that we did it was a 2 and a 1/2 day park, now granted this was after president's day so some of the wait times were VERY high, but overall we enjoyed the experience at the MK more...

Everyone basically said the same thing(now I may be biased but the other two people I was with were newbies to MCO as well as Disney/Universal) and they said that IOA and Uni were both very fun, but there wasn't a whole lot to do, even with Harry Potter...and the definite was if you had kids you would have wasted your money at the Universal parks...

But the MK did make me upset with some of the maintanence issues (more on that in my future trip report) but other than that we enjoyed Disney on a park by park basis more, than Uni...
                        The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
                        -George S. Patton

Comment

TimmyTimmyTimmy, hopefully you like MK enough to attempt a resurgence in your home country amongst vacationers (but don't bring to many over cause I don't want the wait times to be even longer then they already are at times ). However i simply have to disagree with you on that last point, yes IOA has more....for one demographic, and that is all you have been able to prove so far, as a person who has visited both parks on over 5 separate occasions I can honestly say that MK in fact has more for everybody. I will lay it out for you per demographic:

Preschool: MK wins, character meet and greets, slow rides they can appreciate, playgrounds, cool toys...what preschooler wouldn't want to be there.
                          Grade school: MK wins, really the park was BUILT to satisfy this demographic, don't even need to explain any further.
                          Teens: IOA, Ill give you this, teens for the most part will gravitate to the big thrills, its in their psyche so regardless of how small the park is if it gets their blood pumping its their choice.
                          Young Adults: Split, really at this age its personal preference for most people, some people want to relive their childhood or get into an amazing atmosphere they choose MK, some people want to feel young and are into the adrenalin still they choose IOA and there is a close proximity to a lot of clubs, or they just go to where they're favorite movie is from therefore split decision.
                          30+: MK wins, Almost everyone who's going to a theme park at 30+ is either a parent or with a group of friends living up the good old days. MK wins the latter demographic just because IOA isnt old enough to have those memories. And the lions share of 30+ with kids will be in the first 2 demographics just by probability. so therefore win.
                          Seniors: MK wins, memories and the fact that on average seniors don't usually do too well with intense thrill rides.

by my count the score is 5 - 2 for the MK, therefore without a shadow of a doubt there is in fact more for everyone at the Magic Kingdom

Comment

MK opened in 1971

IOA opened in 2001 - w/WWOHP added in 2010

The younger park with more advanced technology will tend to have the greater advantage as far as maintenance and upkeep and show.

Both parks however take different approaches as far as which audience they're reaching out to. MK attracts smaller kids and babyboomer Disney fanatics. IOA will attract the major young adult demographic and as of last year Harry Potter fanatics.

Whichever park wins depends on your taste in theme parks and how you like them run. I've never been to IOA but I do believe I would enjoy it far more than any Cedar Fair or Six Flags park from the looks of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bags deserves bett View Post
                              Toon Lagoon & Marvel Super Hero Island do need some work perhaps a 3-D movie for the toons and one more ride and obviously with Marvel at some point Universal will say "uncle" and retheme this portion of the park
                              If anybody has the upper hand when it comes to the Marvel deal it is Universal. There is no expiration date on Universal having the rights to Marvel. Royalties are all based on merchandise sales and inflation, they are never renegotiated. No point in voluntarily giving up a good deal when, if Disney ever wants those rights back, Universal can get Disney to pay for a new theme and profits.

Comment

Sure, IOA had a 50% increase in the fourth quarter of 2010, but when your 2009 attendance was 4.5 million, that is somewhat easier to do. In fact, I would suspect that at 17+ million for MK in the same year, a 50% increase is just not possible, as I would suspect that park doesn't have the capacity to host that kind of increase. For the record, I believe I dropped a few percent points for MK.... 2-3%, official figures still to come.

But of the two, MK is the staple. What is happening is IOA is getting WDW guests to come visit for a day. But WDW is still the main draw. So even here in florida, I hear "gotta see HP" way more the "have been to MK lately?". But I would not transplate that into "don't go to MK". At least not yet.

Comment

As far as the debate goes. Magic Kingdom in my opinion beats Islands of Adventure. Islands of Adventure may beat the Magic Kingdom on some rides, but the total experience hands down goes to Magic Kingdom.

I'm not saying that IOA is a bad park, in fact I rank it among the top 5 parks that I have been too. I certainly like it better than Hollywood Studios or Animal Kingdom. With that said though, IOA is about 30 years younger than Magic Kingdom which has a base of childhood memories for me. I still remember the first time coming through the train station tunnel onto Main Street's Town Square and seeing the Castle at the other end after arriving by ferry at the Magic Kingdom. I don't remember the first time walking through the gates at IOA. I walk through that same tunnel almost everyday now and each time I do that memory returns, even though today it is just routine.

IOA is a great park and I enjoy going there as well as an annual passholder. The only area of the park I don't really care for is Toon lagoon, but it is still a well themed area and is still better than Six Flags or even parts of Hollywood Studios.

As for EPCOT, I do have to disagree with w previous post that it is the most boring of all the Orlando Theme Parks. EPCOT is one of the best parks there is. It has some of the best attractions Disney has to offer (Soarin, American Adventure, Test Track, Mission:Space, etc). The cultural element is the big hit for me. The Flower & Garden and Food & Wine Festivals can't be beat and Holidays Around the World is good as well. I still enjoy the films on France and China, and even Canada's film. I like the diversity in foods and merchandise and just the overall ambience of the park. EPCOT is a park designed to be leisurly done, not the hustle of the Magic Kingdom. To really enjoy EPCOT you have to do it at a slow pace and really take 2 days to see it all. Trying to see it all in one day is just plain crazy.

That my friend is the problem with todays thinking. Everyone thinks they have to see everything in one day. Take your time in the parks see what you can and on the next visit see the rest. On the next visit skip the things you saw last time and go on to the things you missed, the new stuff and/or revisit the favorites from the last visit. That way, even the older stuff will still seem fresh. That advice goes for all theme parks, not just Disney's. Vacations are supposed to be relaxing. I understand it costs a lot of money to visit Disney, but atthe same time I think it's a waste of money if you have to contantly run to the next attraction or adhere to a schedule in order to see everything in one day or less. Part of the memory to me is stopping to smell the roses and enjoying the small details, tasting a sampling of foods in each country in World Showcase, looking through the shops and stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                  X