Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

silly question: Is MK speedway faster than Autopia?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] silly question: Is MK speedway faster than Autopia?

Hi,
    Is the speedway faster than Autopia? Is the scenery as nice as Autopia, better, similar or more plain?

thanks
    Cedar

Re: silly question: Is MK speedway faster than Autopia?

Tomorrowland Speedway is to Autopia as Interstate 40 is to Route 66.

Disneyland's Autopia is 2 lanes wide outside of the loading areas, and is designed to mimic driving around in a neighborhood or rural highway setting. Apart from the tree growth that has had over 55 years to grow in, there are numerous props, road signs, bridges, tunnels, and the Disneyland Monorail track that comes all the way down to about 6 feet above the Autopia track.

Meanwhile Tomorrowland Speedway is a huge, wide-open, multi-lane track where you'll see some nice scenery off in the distance, but there is almost nothing that's right up close & personal.

I believe the top speed of both rides is the same, but there are many part of Autopia's track where a driver, especially a kid driver, will want to take the foot off the floorboard. A blind curve, twisty track, and the off-road portions of Autopia are all examples. Not so at Tomorrowland Speedway.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Comment

Tomorrowland Speedway was originally presented by Goodyear and was an opening day attraction for MK's TL (the other one being the late Skyway to Fantasyland) It was later presented by those Indy 500 folks.

Timekeeper
      sigpicNow the Tower of Sauron has fallen
      Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

Comment

Originally posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
        Tomorrowland Speedway is to Autopia as Interstate 40 is to Route 66.
        Nice analogy! I wonder if there's some history to that? Considering Autopia was built when the highway was king (1955), and the Speedway was built once the interstate had pretty well taken over (1971).

I think PeoplemoverMatt is right on the money; generally, Autopia is a much nicer, more scenic experience, while the Speedway is more like driving the carts at your local kiddie park, on the vast, walled-in expanse of concrete. I would guess the speeds are pretty comparable, but I'm not sure.

Comment

Speedway is just one undersized figure 8 with a looparound at the end to get back to the loading area. There's no scenery inside it, it's just concrete surrounded by flat grass. Since the Skyway station is gone and that pathway between the Toontown train station and Tomorrowland is largely unnecessary, they could probably redo it to have a more complex track design with maybe some scenery... but they won't.

Comment

MK Speedway is incredibly weak. It's got the same thrilling sensation as walking to your mail box. While Autopia isn't a thrilling attraction either, at least it's got bridges, an off-road section, a heck of a lot of track and of coarse, scenery.

Comment

Speedway takes up quite a lot of space that is honestly not deserved at this point. I'd say if it were a classic attraction like Dumbo or small world then it should stay but honestly it isn't. If i were to do anything with speedway I would total it honestly. Its easy to remove and would open up room for another tom land attraction and fantasy land shop / eatery (or the other way around, then leave a path in between the two have the line start after either a tunnel under the railroad or a bridge over it (tunnel would be preferred) and make a newer, better, more exciting speedway on the other side. theres just enough room in that wooded area you could make a much more exciting track in.

Comment

Originally posted by goofy donald View Post
                Speedway takes up quite a lot of space that is honestly not deserved at this point. I'd say if it were a classic attraction like Dumbo or small world then it should stay but honestly it isn't. If i were to do anything with speedway I would total it honestly. Its easy to remove and would open up room for another tom land attraction and fantasy land shop / eatery (or the other way around, then leave a path in between the two have the line start after either a tunnel under the railroad or a bridge over it (tunnel would be preferred) and make a newer, better, more exciting speedway on the other side. theres just enough room in that wooded area you could make a much more exciting track in.
                The reason it hasn't been gotten rid of is that it is a classic ride that Walt loved the idea of, and the numbers carried are still high enough to warrant keeping. It was the only Tomorrowland attraction available on opening day. There isn't enough room on the other side of the railroad tracks as just on the other side of the berm there is a drainage ditch and then the road, no room over there for anything =(

Have no idea about Autopia, but the Speedway cars go 7.5 mph.

DEATH TO SPEEDWAY!!!
                I have worked:
                T-Land Attractions - Speedway, Space Mountain, Training Facilitator May 08- April 09
                Fantasyland Attractions - Teacups, Winnie the Pooh, Snow White's Scary Adventures April 09- May09
                Icon Attractions (studios) - Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, Fantasmic May10- Aug10

Have lived in Chatham and Patterson.

Comment

Actually I just went on to Google earth and there is in fact a wooded area to the left of the drainage ditch in between that and space mountain that would easily fit the current speedway. I'm not saying that it should be gone completely, just refurbished and more exciting then its current state. I can obviously not speak for Walt, but I don't think he would be a fan of the ride in its current state.

Comment

I think they should turn the Speedway into The Grid. It would provide an actual futuristic theming to what is currently a regular ol' racetrack.
                    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by goofy donald View Post
                      Actually I just went on to Google earth and there is in fact a wooded area to the left of the drainage ditch in between that and space mountain that would easily fit the current speedway.

If you look again you will notice that the ditch runs just on the other side of the RR that is also on the other side of a large berm, after getting past that and plopping Speedway down there you would be able to see the road from in that area very easily unless some unnatural barriers were put in place, and even then the buses go by every few min and would easily be heard. I have been back near that area enough to know that it is not a good place for any type of use at all.
                      I have worked:
                      T-Land Attractions - Speedway, Space Mountain, Training Facilitator May 08- April 09
                      Fantasyland Attractions - Teacups, Winnie the Pooh, Snow White's Scary Adventures April 09- May09
                      Icon Attractions (studios) - Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, Fantasmic May10- Aug10

Have lived in Chatham and Patterson.

Comment

Working...
                      X