Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

Broken Yeti on Expedition Everest - Mystery Solved?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Broken Yeti on Expedition Everest - Mystery Solved?

Originally posted by danyoung View Post
    Well, I'm not sure you can take a few high profile instances and say that many things are designed that way, with no regard for future maintenance. In the case of the yeti, they did things the only way that they could be built. It appears to be a computer design problem that caused this situation, not any lack of forethought on the part of the Imagineers.
    This is part of why I think Lee's story of a bad part makes much more sense. A structural or foundation problem results from either miscalculating the forces the Yeti figure so much that they exceeded the safety factors, but this seems odd because of Newton's Third Law of Motion. The forces being exerted were artificial and controlled, so unless the forces moved somewhere they were not expected to move, not knowing the force of the figure is a REALLY big screw up. If the structure or foundation was not built properly, then Disney's legal department would be all over somebody for taking down this huge investment. Fighting over who has to pay (take responsibility) for replacing the parts just seems like such a simpler answer and would explain why the Yeti figure was temporarily put in A-Mode for the park's 10th Anniversary, which would never have happened if there was a risk of structural failure.

Comment

Well, I'm not sure you can take a few high profile instances and say that many things are designed that way, with no regard for future maintenance. In the case of the yeti, they did things the only way that they could be built. It appears to be a computer design problem that caused this situation, not any lack of forethought on the part of the Imagineers.
      If you think it's just these "high profile instances" where maintenance isn't given a second thought, then let me say: :lol:

It is a common problem in many types of engineering to not think from a maintenance viewpoint. Sometimes you can't blame them; they might be only given a small piece, out of context, to work on. The engineer may not know there's no room to get a wrench on the bolt they just squeezed in there.

At Disney, there are many, maaaaaaaany places where a relatively simple effect or mechanism is difficult to reach, not out of need, but rather a lack of foresight or even giving a darn.
      "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

Comment

I don't see why repairing or replacing the animatronic is seen as the one and only solution to the problem. Apparently it didn't work the first time and honestly, I think too much was put into something you only see for about 3 seconds. Why don't they just do it with a type of puppetry or more simple robotics? For example they could take all the animatronics out of the figure and put it on a platform, rig, or wires that moves toward the track every time a train comes through. They could do the same thing with the arm, operating it from behind or above. The room is dark and you don't have enough time to study it. As long as a huge figure is rushing toward you with fur swinging and loud sound effects, I think it would produce the same results.

They could even gut the scene and rework it with the yeti in another spot or position, like directly over the track with the arm hanging down. They have Imagineers, I'm sure they can imagine some ways to fix or improve the show. But I know it is ultimately up to management and the people with the money and it doesn't seem like its worrying them too much the way it is.

I bet we'll have to wait for a big refurb (when or if they are willing to shut the ride down for a long period of time) to see any work done but I think they should look at rethinking the effect or the scene altogether. There are countless solutions to the problem that don't include fixing the structure or animatronics.

Comment

Well, we'll see what's happening with the Tiki room... if it all works out... we'll just light the ride on fire and it'll be the perfect time to fix it! Just kidding.

Thanks for the explanation, I knew there had to be more to it than fixing JUST the foundation. It's amazing how much work they did put into the attraction though... how many advances they had to make, and there's sure to be some mistakes somewhere in there. I just hope the time and funding for a solution come soon! Their hard work and use of new technology certainly did show when it opened... That was one Amazing yeti!
          Matt!

Comment

You'll never see him fixed to move the way he was originally designed. From what I've heard, they are trying to modify the Yeti to restore "limited motion" to his arm. That is what is happening right now. The way it was explained to me, if this is accurate, is that they will take his right arm and attach it to a track and a pulley system, so he can at least swipe at riders again. It would cost far too much, financially, as well as down time, to do a proper fix for the entire animatronic and foundation.
            -Bill

Comment

How complicated was the Yeti? Saw a video and I couldn't see much. Also, his positioning doesn't look like it allows for much movement. Looks like he's clinging to the ceiling.
              This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

Comment

All this work for NOTHING:

Comment

I knew this was shown somewhere. At 4:48 in the first film posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy, they show footage of the Yeti figure in California as a piece separate from his support structure.

Also, it is really sad how today Disney has no interest in really making the parks their own ventures and so excited that television specials are made talking about new them.

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
                    All this work for NOTHING:

Thanks! Too bad to hear about this. Looks amazing.
                    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

Comment

Basically Disney has weighed up, ridiculous downtime in a park that is often mocked as "minimal kingdom" due to the lack of things to do in it, and something that is seen fore a few seconds in a ride, that sadly for us most people dont know about its true movement and purpose.

It is an amazing AA, but if they leave it in this B mode for to long is there any chance something may happen that will stop it from moving all together forever (rust etc)
                      -Luke

Comment

At first I was all "Fix the Yeti right now Disney!" but then I returned to Animal Kingdom last month.

The ride is amazing with or without the Yeti and is easily (in my opinion) the best ride on property. Yes the Yeti makes ride much better, BUT it is certainly not worth depriving a month's worth of guests from having this great experience. I DO know for a fact that Disney is working on the Yeti, and while it may not be as fast as all of us Disney fanatics/regulars may like, I agree with Walt Disney World's decision to have the attraction remain open.

Comment

Originally posted by ICe101 View Post
                          At first I was all "Fix the Yeti right now Disney!" but then I returned to Animal Kingdom last month...
                          I DO know for a fact that Disney is working on the Yeti, and while it may not be as fast as all of us Disney fanatics/regulars may like, I agree with Walt Disney World's decision to have the attraction remain open.
                          Thats great to hear. I rode it for the first time in October. The last time we went in 2005, they had all the structual steel up for the mountain itself. I had waited five years for this ride. (time between the trips to Disney) and it was worth the wait. I would have been very upset if the ride was closed. I have no clue how the ride is with a moving yeti and not the "disco yeti," but when you enter the mountain that last time, it still makes you jumo back a little. I have to agree with their decision (I just wish they would hurry a little for my band trip next April. haha)

Comment

I was a little disappointed to see that last week the steam effect in the loading area wasn't working. Seems like such a simple effect that I can't understand why they can't keep it going.

Comment

I was a little disappointed to see that last week the steam effect in the loading area wasn't working. Seems like such a simple effect that I can't understand why they can't keep it going.
                              Probably just a 1-day or short time thing. It was working fine on my visit last month.

Comment

Good to hear.

Comment

It's nice to hear that they are doing SOMETHING to restore at least SOME movement to the yeti, I agree with you that the ride was still fun with or without the Yeti that was really just icing on the cake...

And I agree depriving most people of one of their primary reasons to go to that park for even the chance of riding it with or without the Yeti, would be worse IMO..
                                  The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
                                  -George S. Patton

Comment

The Yeti WILL move again just as fluidly as before. It will just take some time as the replacement will require almost the same amount of cash and planning that it takes to build an entire attraction from scratch.

The foundation isn't the issue, it's about 10 major issues that all need to be addressed. Even when it was in working order, it was blowing hydraulic lines daily, only to have them duct taped back up to keep it operational for the day. The entire thing needs to be redesigned, fabricated, and then installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Taggart View Post
                                      The Yeti WILL move again just as fluidly as before. It will just take some time as the replacement will require almost the same amount of cash and planning that it takes to build an entire attraction from scratch.

The foundation isn't the issue, it's about 10 major issues that all need to be addressed. Even when it was in working order, it was blowing hydraulic lines daily, only to have them duct taped back up to keep it operational for the day. The entire thing needs to be redesigned, fabricated, and then installed.
                                      Thanks for the clarification...
                                      The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
                                      -George S. Patton

Comment

Taggart, what it your source for this information?

Comment

Someone close to the situation, lets say.

Comment

Working...
                                          X