Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Journey To Imagination" Had A Controversal Host?????

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] "Journey To Imagination" Had A Controversal Host?????

So, I got bored and I was browsing Wikipedia, I know it's not the best source for information, and going through the birthday section when I clicked "Eric Idle," Dr. Nigel Channing in HISTA, his Birthday is on March 29 and it said that he reprised his role in "Journey Into Imagination" at EPCOT. It also stated that it was controversal that the hosts had to be changed to the current of Figment and Dreamfinder. Here is what it says:

In 1999, he reprised the role in the second (and controversial) version of the Journey Into Imagination ride at EPCOT, replacing Figment and Dreamfinder as the host. Due to an outcry from Disney fans, Figment was reinstated into the ride.
    Anyone know why?
    I Get In. I Get Out. I Never Get Noticed!
    - From "Prep And Landing"

Re: "Journey To Imagination" Had A Controversal Host?????

I think there might have been a misunderstanding somewhere...

What the Wikipedia article is saying is that Eric Idle replaced Figment and Dreamfinder as the host of the ride, and as a reprisal of his role as Dr. Channing from the neighboring Honey I Shrunk the Audience. While Figment and Dreamfinder were the hosts in the original version of the ride, Dr. Channing became the host in the cheaper, much-derided second version of the ride, which most people that rode it considered a rather cold and inferior ride by comparison. So it was really the second version of the ride that was controversial, and unfortunately for Eric Idle's career, his character just sort of got tangled in the mess. As a result, Imagineering did a quick overhaul that kept the character of Dr. Channing as well as most of the ride layout, but restored the character of Figment to the attraction, leading to the third and slightly less controversial version of the ride we have today.
    Last edited by MarkTwain; 03-28-2011, 09:08 AM.

Comment

There are 3 versions of the imagination ride. Version 1 - Dreamfinder was the host, and in versions 2 and 3 Eric Idle is the host.

So he reprised his role from version 2, when they created version 3 with Figment.
      Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

So basically what they are saying is that Eric Idle wasn't controversial it was the schlock Disney was trying to pawn off as an upgrade.

Comment

^ Pretty much.

Comment

I think they meant controversial among disney fans. Mostly because the fact he's not dreamfinder, and the past 2 versions of the ride are sad sad downgrades from the original attraction
            Matt!

Comment

I think that it is controversial that Monty Python players aren't in more Disney attractions. I.E... John Cleese's Enchanted Tiki Room (Parrot Sketch). A doorway in the UK pavilion belonging to the Ministry of Silly Walks. Food Rocks featuring the Spam song. Oh Canada's I'm a Lumber Jack.
              I can probably keep going if anyone wants.
              He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
              follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
              DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

Comment

I'm a huge Python fan, and really enjoy most things Eric Idle does. But he really did a bad job on both versions of this attraction. I don't blame him - I blame the directors who tried to make him do things that he wasn't very good at (like reading a lame script and trying to act larger than life to make up for it). The end result is very un-Python, and overall pretty awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Coastierox View Post
                  John Cleese's Enchanted Tiki Room (Parrot Sketch).
                  :lmao:

"He's not dead! He's just resting!"

Comment

Originally posted by aimster View Post

YouTube - The Parrot Sketch
                    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.

Comment

Originally posted by danyoung View Post
                      I'm a huge Python fan, and really enjoy most things Eric Idle does. But he really did a bad job on both versions of this attraction. I don't blame him - I blame the directors who tried to make him do things that he wasn't very good at (like reading a lame script and trying to act larger than life to make up for it). The end result is very un-Python, and overall pretty awful.
                      The thing with Eric Idle is that he always enjoys doing crap as long as it pays decent. It's basically what he said about why he did the Transformers Movie from the 80s and it's pretty evident when you look at NIMH 2, Delgo or Quest for Camelot.
                      M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E
                      sigpic
                      Flickr

Comment

Well, you can't really blame a guy for going for the paycheck, especially when there aren't all that many opportunities for Python to perform these days.

Comment

Originally posted by danyoung View Post
                          Well, you can't really blame a guy for going for the paycheck, especially when there aren't all that many opportunities for Python to perform these days.
                          I don't know, they all seem to be doing fine to me.
                          M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E
                          sigpic
                          Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by FigmentJedi View Post
                            The thing with Eric Idle is that he always enjoys doing crap as long as it pays decent. It's basically what he said about why he did the Transformers Movie from the 80s and it's pretty evident when you look at NIMH 2, Delgo or Quest for Camelot.
                            Doesn't that apply to just about everyone? I mean I go for the highest paycheck...

Comment

Originally posted by aimster View Post

So that's what happened to the Iago AA in the Tiki room fire :P
                              -Luke

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X