Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I may be way out of the loop for not knowing the answer to this.....

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] I may be way out of the loop for not knowing the answer to this.....

But why (officially or not) did the Wonders of Life pavilion at EPCOT get shut down entirely? Was there an official Disney release/reason given at any point? Presuming the attractions are just sitting in there still, disused....Cranium Command and Body Wars and such. Did the area seriously get that few visitors, is it haunted by angry ghostly snakes, what? Just curious here as to what actually happened that they just shut it down and locked the doors except for special events...if it was to be used year round for an event facility, you'd figure they'd remodel it and upgrade things instead of letting the inside just sit there....anyone have actual answers or what Disney said was the issue?
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Re: I may be way out of the loop for not knowing the answer to this.....

Originally posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    But why (officially or not) did the Wonders of Life pavilion at EPCOT get shut down entirely? Was there an official Disney release/reason given at any point? Presuming the attractions are just sitting in there still, disused....Cranium Command and Body Wars and such. Did the area seriously get that few visitors, is it haunted by angry ghostly snakes, what? Just curious here as to what actually happened that they just shut it down and locked the doors except for special events...if it was to be used year round for an event facility, you'd figure they'd remodel it and upgrade things instead of letting the inside just sit there....anyone have actual answers or what Disney said was the issue?
    As taken from wikipedia:

"No official explanation was ever given for the closure of the pavilion, but it was speculated that the loss of MetLife as a sponsor, poor attendance and location, and lack of updates to the attractions and the pavilion itself were all factors."

The attractions inside have all been dismantled to the best of my knowledge, Disney just wasnt prepared to make the necessary updates to the pavilion it required because it wasnt popular enough in the minds of the management to be worth the $. A sad turn of events for an informative, fun area of the park.

Comment

We always liked that area just the way it was. Miss it every time I'm there

Comment

Body Wars made me sick every time I rode it. but I do miss it
        Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

The last bits of Body Wars were just recently cannibalized for the Star Tours refurb, I believe.
          "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

Comment

The Wonders of Life Pavallion was pretty lifeless towards it's end. The roof leaked ( which has since been repaired ). I enjoyed the different rides there as recent as 3 or 4 years ago when it was open on a fluke. I enjoyed the rides but they seems really, really dated! As far as I know the rides are still there behind closed walls. But, Body Wars could have been dismantled for all I know. The Pavallion has since been open for Food and Wine and for DVC sales. It justs seems to me that portion of Epcot has been stagnant and left abandoned for a while. It would be great if Disney just bulldozed the whole thing and replaced it with something else.

Comment

Never mind Body Wars, it was a good place for families. My kids could go play with stuff, that tactile area, like the hot and cold coils that feel like they're burning, the Statue of Liberty you feel through the curtain, etc. It was a nice air-conditioned place I could get off my feet for a while, and the kids were occupied and could cool off as well. It needed a little TLC, not abandonment

Comment

the reasons have pretty much been stated

Met Life leaving
                Epcot with surplus capacity
                Lack of visitors to the pavilion
                Lack of F&B and Merchandise sales
                Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

It is just extreamly sad to have such a large shuttered area..........so much could be done here. I could picture an intricately themed indoor play area. not just an off the shelf play area with a couple of props and a paint job, but a truely immersive place as a Disney play area should be. It amazes me that WDW still doesnt really have one of theese. The closest we come is boneyard at DAK. I realize am entire pavilion dedicated to a play area would not please everyone (I would imagine that those without kids, or with older kids would not be impressed), but I think (if done right) its better that a shuttered building in anyones book.

Comment

My family and I were some of the last people to visit that pavilion. Cranium Command was always a favorite of mine and we went to see it everytime we were at the park. We were in Epcot around new years (I forgot what year it was) and we went into the pavillion, it was creepy to see it almost entirely deserted. Although pretty exciting to see that the bicycle video games that always had a huge line were vacant. The pavillion was just about to close for the night, so we quickly went on Body Wars, and Cranium Command. I still have a picture of my sister and her friend eating a bag of chips while waiting in line, she was never really that excited about going on the attraction. The cast members working the shows seemed to not care much about what they were doing. There was no boarding spiel for any of the shows, the cast members simply opened the doors to the theater and let us in, they didnt even run the animated preshow. I read on micechat about 2 days later that the attraction had been opened for the last time on new years eve in order to help with crowds.

Comment

I miss it lot, and every time I hear the new age music piece, "Behind the Waterfall" I miss it more and more. I wished they keep it as is, because the place one of the few and brief rest stops for families in WDW.

Timekeeper
                      sigpicNow the Tower of Sauron has fallen
                      Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X