Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pix of Walt's Plane That He Used To Scout Out Land For WDW

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Chat] Pix of Walt's Plane That He Used To Scout Out Land For WDW

    Disney Parks Blog - The official blog for Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World and Disney Cruise Line

    The Disney Parks Blog has an interesting pictorial artical that features Walt's "The Mouse" plane that he traveled on when scouting out land in Florida for Walt Disney World. Check out the site for various pix of the plane, including one of the plane in flight, a pic of the interior, and an outdoor pic of Walt discussing the project.

    Here are a few pics that I googled and ran thru Photobucket:







    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  • #2
    Re: Pix of Walt's Plane That He Used To Scout Out Land For WDW

    I personally think that t could use a good polishing and maybe even frech paint... but then again I am an aircraft mechanic that likes shiny things. I mean really, go down the road to Universal and take a look at Buffett's Hemisphere Dancer (Grumman HU-16). It looks like you could spin the props and fly it today.

    Also here is a link to a few pics of N234MM on airliners.net and some of the Dancer, enjoy.
    Last edited by Coastierox; 05-04-2011, 02:51 AM.
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Pix of Walt's Plane That He Used To Scout Out Land For WDW

      Originally posted by Coastierox View Post
      I personally think that t could use a good polishing and maybe even frech paint... but then again I am an aircraft mechanic that likes shiny things. I mean really, go down the road to Universal and take a look at Buffett's Hemisphere Dancer (Grumman HU-16). It looks like you could spin the props and fly it today.

      Also here is a link to a few pics of N234MM on airliners.net and some of the Dancer, enjoy.
      Thanx Coastierrox. You have an interesting life as an aircraft mechanic. I'll be looking at your link today. I'm anxious to see Buffett's plane. Walt's plane looks pretty shiny to me,considering how old it is. Nevertheless, one would thionk that the Walt Disney Company would take top notch care of it. I would sure love to soar over Walt disney World in it.
      To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Pix of Walt's Plane That He Used To Scout Out Land For WDW

        Originally posted by Coastierox View Post
        I personally think that t could use a good polishing and maybe even frech paint... but then again I am an aircraft mechanic that likes shiny things. I mean really, go down the road to Universal and take a look at Buffett's Hemisphere Dancer (Grumman HU-16). It looks like you could spin the props and fly it today.
        Another Airline mechanic?? :-)


        But I agree looking at the pictures the paint looks very faded..too many years out in the sun, they really should repaint it. Even if they don't intend to ever fly the aircraft again it should be repainted it adds something to the aircraft to make it that much more viable as transportation in the mind. Besides the fact that it's just good show havening it all shiny and new..

        Alot of the visual aspects of many an aircraft can put a passenger into the mindset that this aircraft is safe, old looking faded paint isn't one of them..

        But your right that HU-16 looks like it is ready to fly, even though I've never flown on one I wish I had the opportunity, Chalk's Airlines closed up shop before I was able to get that opportunity and I ended up hopping on a AA 757-2 to fly down to the carribean which was a bummer for me...
        The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
        -George S. Patton

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Pix of Walt's Plane That He Used To Scout Out Land For WDW

          Originally posted by ORD84 View Post
          Another Airline mechanic?? :-)
          Guess I should specify a bit... helicopter mechanic. Have yet to touch of fixed wing other than ride on one.

          But I def agree that the look of an aircraft (including static displays) add to how one would feel about it. Oh and the HU-16 is my favorite aircraft out there, even though I too have never riden on one. The goat just looks so damned cool, especially painted up in Coastie colors.

          Ok, I am done hijacking this thread for now...
          He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
          follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
          DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Pix of Walt's Plane That He Used To Scout Out Land For WDW

            Originally posted by Coastierox View Post
            Guess I should specify a bit... helicopter mechanic. Have yet to touch of fixed wing other than ride on one.

            But I def agree that the look of an aircraft (including static displays) add to how one would feel about it. Oh and the HU-16 is my favorite aircraft out there, even though I too have never riden on one. The goat just looks so damned cool, especially painted up in Coastie colors.

            Ok, I am done hijacking this thread for now...
            ha ha! Hardly hijacking. I'm finding the comparison of Walt's plain 9as it is now) to other plains a fascinating sub-topic in line with that of the OP. And for the record, the clean and shiny look of a plane affects my psychological opinion of a plane in terms of it's safety.
            To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Pix of Walt's Plane That He Used To Scout Out Land For WDW

              Originally posted by Ride Warrior View Post
              And for the record, the clean and shiny look of a plane affects my psychological opinion of a plane in terms of it's safety.
              Did I also mention that I've spend roughly the last year painting helicopters? I always get a little anal about the paint jobs... I need to put some of my paint jobs on Flickr, maybe tomorrow.
              He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
              follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
              DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Pix of Walt's Plane That He Used To Scout Out Land For WDW

                Originally posted by Coastierox View Post
                Did I also mention that I've spend roughly the last year painting helicopters? I always get a little anal about the paint jobs... I need to put some of my paint jobs on Flickr, maybe tomorrow.
                Awesome! Please tell me how to find the postings on Flickr. It would be cool if you would post at least one of them here, too.
                To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Pix of Walt's Plane That He Used To Scout Out Land For WDW

                  Originally posted by Ride Warrior View Post
                  Awesome! Please tell me how to find the postings on Flickr. It would be cool if you would post at least one of them here, too.
                  They're up, but I have to warn you, they are iPhone pix. I kept forgetting to drag my SLR to work to get some good ones. Just click the flickr link in my signature. Each helicopter took 3 painters about a week over 2 shifts to paint, then three painters and 2 detailers 3 or 4 more days over two shifts to buff out and really make it shine. Oh! And that is just the tail boom, painting the entire thing would add on at least another two weeks. Unfortunately I didn't get any pics after they where completely put back together.
                  Last edited by Coastierox; 05-05-2011, 03:27 AM.
                  He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
                  follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
                  DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Pix of Walt's Plane That He Used To Scout Out Land For WDW

                    My two favorite things: Disney and Aerospace. This is awesome!
                    DisneyTwins
                    Since May 2003

                    Comment

                    Ad Widget

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X