This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Idea] A Way to bring back Dreamfinder

It's no secret that Journey into Imagination has really dropped the ball since 1998, sure they've reintroduced Figment but the ride is still but a shadow of its former self, and fans still clamor to bring the Dreamfinder back.

While thinking about this I had... not exactly a little spark, more like an electrical storm on how to reintroduce Dreamfinder to the show.

Now before you say anything about replacing the track and the turntable, please realise that those are broken beyond repair, and would be way to costly to replace, but what if Dreamfinder were in a new preshow?

In my new idea, Dreamfinder is the founder and head of the board at the Imagination Institute (Ala Jurrassic Parks John Hammond). In the preshow he welcomes us to the open house, and introduces us to his new head of reasearch Dr. Nigel channing.

Dr. Channing, always eager to please, begins to explain about his experiments to help "control" the imagination. Dreamfinder tries to explain that imagination works best when it's set free, but channing won't listen and rushes off to prepare the tour. Concerned, Dreamfinder uses his imagination to dream up Figment and asks him to help Channing understand the true meaning of imagination. The ride continues normally with the obvious changes.

So, thoughts, comments, I'd even be happy to hear your own ideas.
    "Disneyland will never be complete as long as there is imagination left in the world" -Walt Disney

Re: A Way to bring back Dreamfinder

I was at EPCOT on a day when touringplans.com rated the crowd level at 9/10, and when my friend and I rode Journey Into Imagination it was only because we got lost in the crowd and thought we were going into somewhere we could find a shortcut to Captain EO.

And we were still the only people on the ride. It was a ghost town.

I like the idea of returning the Dreamfinder, but I think the most off-putting thing about the new version is in both tone and quality. Figment acts like he's hopped up on goofballs and corn syrup; obnoxiousness has replaced the whimsy and innocence of the original. Skunk smell? Really, guys?

Eric Idle is so recognizable that you can't suspend disbelief and lose yourself in the illusion. You can't let yourself believe that this Channing fellow is real, because he's obviously Eric Idle.

I'd write a new script, hire an unrecognizable actor to play the Dreamfinder, and re-shoot the videos with new Figment animations in which he and Dreamfinder talk to each other and the audience, and ditch Channing altogeher. If I had the money, I'd also put more AA's in. It could either keep the Imagination Institute theme, or be redressed as the Dreamfinder's wacky, whimsical house in which he conducts experiments with his guests.

Comment

Well, in a perfect world, it would be best to get a new attraction entirely; one with the Dreamfinder as the host. Since they got rid of HISTA, Nigel Channing doesn't really need to be there, since the connecting theme is already broken.
      However, to the OP: I actually really like this idea. It's simple and budget minded, which would work for WDW right now, sadly. Also, it fits in with the Imagination Institute theme, and allows the Dreamfinder to make a comeback into the mainstream audience. I could see this being a great quick fix until the rise in attendance from Dreamfinder causes WDW to rethink the ride.

That said, the real issue isn't Nigel Channing; it's that the ride is just soo much cheaper than the original ride.
      (That, and the whole place smells like skunk now. Seriously, they need a better ventilation system!)

Comment

I actually outlined a series of television shows where Dreamfinder sends Figment to problem solve, creatively and with imagination-in an attempt to revive this attraction. Hopefully, one day!

Peace,
        Roo
        husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Comment

Never associate Dreamfinder with the current version of the attraction. Bah! He's above that.
          -Bill

Comment

Originally posted by coasterjudge View Post
            Now before you say anything about replacing the track and the turntable, please realise that those are broken beyond repair, and would be way to costly to replace, but what if Dreamfinder were in a new preshow?
            That's not entirely true. The track isn't broken. The track in use now is a portion of the same track that was used originally. Other portions were filled in and are now part of the queue. The turntable is also not broken beyond repair, nor was it ever broken beyond repair. It is now gone, filled in, and is actually part of the loading area of the attraction that exists currently. It wouldn't need to be repaired, it would need to be rebuilt completely. In the long run, that's probably better.

The problem with the turntable was that vehicles constantly attaching and detaching from the turntable caused it and the vehicles to have inconsistent speed. It also probably wore parts out faster and required more maintenance, but hey, so does Test Track. The problem with the little inconsistencies in speed really only mattered because the vehicles didn't always match speed with the load and unload speedramps. However, since the turntable needs to be rebuilt from scratch, technology unavailable in 1980 could be used to fix this issue.

As I've said in other threads on this topic, local positioning systems, like the one used in Pooh's Hunny Hunt in Tokyo could be used to completely fix the issue caused by the old turntable. With such a system vehicles would mark their spots along the turntable and stay synchronized on their own without having to physically connect to it. This would eliminate the jerkiness and extra wear that befell the old system. The vehicles could use the same technology to stay in synch with the load and unload ramps and any speed abnormalities that may have occurred during the ride could be compensated for in the section between the turntable and upload by adjusting the spaces between the four or five vehicle trains. (I know, I'm a bad nerd for not remembering how many cars there were per train.)

I'm not exactly an engineering expert, nor am I a contractor or in any position to know what building things costs. Still, I don't think this effect should be written off so quickly as too expensive to replace. Yes, having a turntable is cheaper than not having a turntable, but I don't really see the replacement as bank breaking. It's certainly no more advanced than any of the other new ride systems we've seen in the past few years. The only problem with it is that it's using technology to facilitate the story and not really a ride system that can be used as a major selling point for the attraction the way EMVs, KUKA arms, and the Mission:SPACE spin n' pukes are. Sorry marketing department, you might have to do some actual work for this one.
            It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.
            sigpic

Comment

Potter has turntables...
              -Bill

Comment

^...that's nice, but where?

Also, trying to stay relevant, I have an idea to reintroduce Dreamfinder, but I don't know how well the rest of micechat community would take lightly of it, because it would rely on two popular characters, one obscure educational cartoon (to most people) and the imagination institute in Disneyland...

Timekeeper
                sigpicNow the Tower of Sauron has fallen
                Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                  Potter has turntables...
                  Originally posted by Timekeeper View Post
                  ^...that's nice, but where?
                  Two different parts of the ride. Both where you're in a movie "dome", the "dome" things are on a turntable that rotates while you're watching the movie, then sends you on to the next scene in the ride. One is during the dragon chase scene and the other is towards the end of the ride.

The above images were taken by me last summer. The ride broke down just as it started for me, then after waiting in the dark, practically flat on my back for a few minutes, all the lights came on and I got to see the whole thing... with the lights on. It was really cool to see how it worked and it did not ruin the "magic" for me when I rode again later and everything was fine.

Comment

I'd say go with what the E82 Armchair Imagineered. No Institute, back to the feel of the original, and maybe the Honey Hunt system if they can figure a way to make it work.

Originally posted by ttintagel View Post
                    I like the idea of returning the Dreamfinder, but I think the most off-putting thing about the new version is in both tone and quality. Figment acts like he's hopped up on goofballs and corn syrup; obnoxiousness has replaced the whimsy and innocence of the original. Skunk smell? Really, guys?
                    That's because the current version of the ride is Figment's revenge for the 2000 version. We're just caught in the middle of his war with the Institute that takes the form of annoying the hell out of them.
                    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E
                    sigpic
                    Flickr

Comment

I know for the obsessed like us, having some form of continuity is nice. It certainly fits in with the "everything has a story" mantra that I hate to explain why this guy is in the institute, or why the institute used to be there but is gone, but since Walt Disney World is more of a destination than a local park I find it unnecessary. If the Institute theme was completely dropped from the pavilion only us weirdos would ever really notice and I doubt any of us would care. The average guest likely doesn't care about the Imagination Institute any more than they care that Star Tours 2 Takes place before Star Tours 1, which is slightly less than they care about there even being a Star Tours 1 to begin with. The Tower of Terror did the same thing. They use a new name to promote the new randomized drop sequence for a few months, then it's just The Tower of Terror and the only way to know that it wasn't always this way is to talk to an old fart like me who remembers when the drop was always the same.

My idealized version of Imagination is simple. I'd like to see Journey Into Imagination as if it was the same attraction that opened in 1983, and has had 28 years worth of updates and refurbishments. The original should have been one of those classic dark ride attractions on par with The Haunted Mansion and Pirates. The only reason it (and the other great EPCOT dark rides) weren't placed in that echelon is because they don't have Walt's shadow on them.

When It's a Small World and The Jungle Cruise get rehabs, they don't try to fundamentally change the ride's story or show scenes. They might throw in some new effects like the recent update to The Haunted Mansion, or make some small tweaks like adding movie characters to Pirates of the Caribbean, but you can still peel that back and see the original attraction underneath. Imagination should have been the same. It hit all the same marks of compelling story, endearing characters and a catchy song as well as any of the other attractions. In doing so it also gave the park mascots that endure, and sell a lot of merchandise to this day, 12 years after that attraction closed. What other attraction can do that? What other park even has a mascot that isn't Mickey Mouse? I doubt Imagination Institute gear is flying off the shelves, but when a new set of Epcot specific items comes around, there's always plenty of figment, and usually a good amount of Dreamfinder too. This formula never should have been tampered with. If it gets fixed I'm sure that in a very short time the whole Imagination Institute debacle won't even be a distant memory. They just need to do what they always do when they update a ride. Do it, then pretend that's the way it's always been.
                      It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.
                      sigpic

Comment

While flipping through a few Disney blogs today, I found this:
                        It's awesome for a few reasons. First of which is the one that exists on its face. The It's A Small World song and One Little Spark are often compared. They are both catchy songs written by the Sherman brothers that serve to anchor their attractions. Which one works better is up for debate, but hearing them together like this is pretty amazing.

The video is a bit dark and at first I thought they were just mixing the two recordings. It was only when I noticed that the rendition of One Little Spark in the video didn't exactly match the one that is firmly implanted in my memory that I realized the man in the boat was singing it live. While Billy Barty (the voice of Figment) has since passed away, It would appear that Ron Schneider (Dreamfinder) is still very much alive and can still do the voice spot on. Get this man to a recording studio!
                        sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X