This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Rumor] Monorail

I've heard many times that WDW will have an expanded monorail that goes to DHS but I just want to know if it's true.
    Trips to WDW / DLR

Wilderness Lodge - 2 times
    Beach Club - 3 times
    Boardwalk - 2 times
    Caribbean Beach - 1 time
    Grand Floridian - 1 time
    Disneyland Hotel - 1 time
    Pop Century - 3 times
    DTD Holiday Inn Express - April 1st - April 5th

Re: Monorail

Originally posted by PerrySimon View Post
    I've heard many times that WDW will have an expanded monorail that goes to DHS but I just want to know if it's true.
    I highly doubt that ever happening. The monorails are iconic, but they cost a lot of money to build / maintain and DHS already has 2 modes of transportation going to it. Once the current transportation system is extremely overloaded Disney will do something but I can almost guarantee, as much as I would like to see it, they are to cheap to continue the monorail.

Comment

Purely rumor at this point and I really don't see it ever happening.

Comment

There is a spar that goes in the direction of DHS on the EPCOT line, however, I doubt it will ever be expanded until it is ABSOLUTELY no other choice than expanding it...maybe when diesel reaches 15$ a gal
        The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
        -George S. Patton

Comment

Isn't Disney still just trying to bring the fleet of Monorail trains back to 12? (Monorail Maroon). I would imagine that would be their only focus at the present time in terms of the highway in the sky.
          Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Comment

^ Yep, I wouldn't count on ever seeing the monorails expanded again. As much as a DHS connection would be a good idea, the cost would be so prohibitively high that the buses are still going to be the cheaper option for quite some time.

Comment

Originally posted by ORD84 View Post
              There is a spar that goes in the direction of DHS on the EPCOT line, however, I doubt it will ever be expanded until it is ABSOLUTELY no other choice than expanding it...maybe when diesel reaches 15$ a gal
              You mean spur? What spur?
              -Bill

Comment

I don't think there's a spur, but I think there is space allocated for one if they ever intend to act on it. It's either if Disney ever wanted to use the space for a spur or they had plans to a long time ago and it just got scrapped. I can't remember.
                Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Comment

I highly doubt this. The Monorail beams are extremely expensive to make. It costs more than $650K per mile of track. That adds up.
                  DisneyTwins
                  Since May 2003

Comment

It was planned (a real concept) at one point, or at least some version of a monorail or mass transportation system outside of buses.

Comment

Originally posted by Disneytwins View Post
                      I highly doubt this. The Monorail beams are extremely expensive to make. It costs more than $650K per mile of track. That adds up.
                      ^Source????

Now bare with me for just a moment. No an attack, just some thoughts....

What would be the cost of a subway system per mile? And yet Cities build subways. But I don't think that's an option in Florida. Whats the cost of an at grade level system? But lets keep it elevated since monorails are typically elevated. So regardless of source what would be the cost of an elevated light system per mile? Are there any elevated railed systems that would be less expensive then a piece of concrete with a buss bar attached too it and perhaps a walking grate for emergencies.

Do we know that monorail track would cost $650K per mile at WDW where for the most part, they don't have to compete with a city's infastructure which adds greatly to the cost of contruction?

Maybe you do, but I honestly don't. The assumptions I will make are that in 1971, busses were more flexible and cheaper then building a Monorail system. And same for 1982 when the Epcot line was added. My guess is a bus routes could have handled getting guests from the two MK monorail resorts and the MK to the new EPCOT Center for far less then what it cost to add a monorail connector from the TTC. Yet it was done, by a Walt Disney Company that had far less financial power and resources as today's WDW company.

The cost per mile really is not so prohibitive so much as its just not desirable as there is no profit in it. Even if it were true that monorails would be the cheapest elevated transportation system, on paper they do not generate revenue for WDW. So for a fraction of the cost, busses may be used. And at the end of the day today's corporate Disney answers only to shareholders, not dreamers, because it about adding value to the share holders portfolio.

And no, there is no spur to DHS. A DHS Monorail line has been rumored for as long as DHS has been opened if not longer. I don't mean the OP, but basically this amounts to another example of someone who really wants this to happen saying "they heard that a monorail was going to be built" instead of saying "they wish Disney would do it."

I wish too. But its not. Truthfully, its not even a rumor anymore. Its just dead hope.

Comment

There was an article posted here a few years back (or it may have been at another WDW site, can't remember) that stated the cost was somewhere close to that value stated above. I don't remember if it was exactly that number, but it was high enough to make it a non-starter no matter how much I'd like to see one.

Comment

It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                            You mean spur? What spur?
                            I thought there was a spur along the EPCOT line....then again now how everyone referred to my comment not too sure now, I DO REMEMBER when I was around 10 years old ('94) that a monorail pilot told me that they were going to expand it to all the parks, but that's looking less and less likely as time goes on...

Originally posted by Dapper Dan View Post
                            I have no doubt that there are some monorail fans among employees of Imagineering. Not only were there plans to expand the monorail to the Disney Hollywood Studios, but there have also been plans to extend it to Downtown Disney as far back as when that place was still called the Village Marketplace. The Marketplace was also to get its own Peoplemover, but that's another story... Actually another part of the same story, but I'm not really expert enough to tell it.
                            Do you have any more information on this??? I'd really like to see this..
                            The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
                            -George S. Patton

Comment

Originally posted by ORD84 View Post
                              Do you have any more information on this??? I'd really like to see this..
                              For that story, written by someone who actually knows what he's talking about, there's THIS article from the very awesome Imagineering Disney blog.
                              It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.
                              sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X