X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ABOMIBOT
    Lurker No More!
    • Oct 2006

[Pictures] Sunday in the Park with Mark - A Magic Kingdom Photo-Heavy Trip Report

Hello fellow MiceChatters! Last you heard from me was in a thread called MickeyTron Lunacy - a video post chronicling the insanity that was our 2010 Disneyland HalloweenTime costume project. And there's a reason things have been so quiet. My partner and I have been hatching the cockamamie scheme to end all cockamamie schemes - a move to Celebration, Florida a.k.a. Mouse Mecca. Well, after a year and a half of planning we're here, we're new homeowners and we have patio furniture in our living room. Really? Ten weeks to order a sofa? Really? But I digest...

We just celebrated our three week move anniversary. And while we love heading to Epcot for a quick dinner and coming right home again (will that ever get old?), I have purposely avoiding bringing along the camera very much. Until yesterday, that is. And that's where this thread comes it. I present to you for your edification:

Sunday in the Park with Mark - A Magic Kingdom Photo-Heavy Trip Report

Let's get started!

It was a very overcast day. The hourly weather report suggested scattered thunderstorms all day long so we brought our ponchos. The bad news? Gray skies in almost all the photos. The good news? We stayed dry all day. Didn't rain once.

Whipping through the Grand Canyon Concourse at the Contemporary

Whipping past Space Mountain

It looked really busy despite the weather report. Sundays are Extra Magic Hour days so I guess its always busy?

My partner Mark, this thread's namesake.

Yours truly.

The Confectionery has new, striped awnings. I wonder if this adds cohesion to the new color scheme that a few folks are less than thrilled about? I'm just happy to see loving care returned to the Florida properties! They just need to keep at it... lots more work to do!

Stopped in here to buy some pins.

Mark was a resident of NYC for 25 years and I was there for 18. And wouldn't you know it just weeks after we move away Marriage Equality passes! We decided to display our pride and patriotism through pins. Sadly we imagine we'll be waiting many years for Florida to catch up.

Cinderella's Castle looking lovely in diffused light.

Whenever I see those cylindrical topiaries I want a Hershey's Rolo. Mmmm Rolo.

Into Tomorrowland!
    (You'll note we never venture into Frontierland or Adventureland this trip - pretty much a first for us. We always tend to go left at the hub. Today was different.)

Peoplemover! I heart this ride! I so miss the robotic voice-over, "Now approaching Carousel of Progress." We provide our own interpretation of the line each time we ride.

Sigh. I so wish they would gut current Tomorrowland theming and start over. But I'll settle for Stitch making a permanent Great Escape.

I love love love the joy and excitement on this kid's face! Or is that gas?

"I have been chosen! Farewell, my friends. I go on to a better place."

Space Mountain lift hill. Even though I didn't have my super-fast lens and this is totally blurry and jiggly I still love it.

A speed ramp welcome.

Heading to Fantasyland we saw some familiar backsides lost in the crowd.

Drunken mouse is in his cup.

And I am in mine.

Saw the Pooh trailer this weekend before Cars 2. So love the inclusion of the Keane song, "Somewhere Only We Know". It so totally elevated the trailer. I was honestly ambivalent before and now I can't wait to see the movie. The power of music.

A peak through the trees at Beast's Castle.

Love seeing the blue, painted labels on each rock work piece. The rebar is bent and welded by a computer to match a scanned scale model, yes? So cool. I was worried the castle was too small but now that you can visualize the foreground rocks and now that Belle & Maurice's cottage is taking shape the effect is magically perfect IMHO.

I honestly don't miss it. It no longer served a purpose.

Let's take a ride on the Liberty Belle. Captain Stank Eye looks friendly. Sheesh.

Taken from the upper deck. Zoom lens.

This is as close to Adventureland as we got.

Weeeee!!!

The guy in the first row of the second car looks like Pat Sajak.

And 'round the bend we go.

Chickapin hill, BTM queue and load building and a train in the foreground. Man this is a jam-packed photo!

Ram butt.

Our timing was fortuitous. The train was crossing the bridge over the outlet to Seven Seas Lagoon.

Love the call and answer whistle play between the train the the Belle. Shave and a haircut, two bits! Oops. Did I just show my age? Does that resonate with any of you young whipper snappers?

Reminds me of the Blue Bayou opening ride scene of Disneyland's Pirates. Sigh. I miss that version of the ride. Soon, Disneyland my love... soon we shall be together again. Just as soon as all the walls are down and I can ride a Radiator Springs Racer.

Hi how are you hi how are you. I can say that. I am one-sixteenth Cherokee.

Indian Burial Ground!?!

Well, duh, of course the mansion is haunted. Hasn't anyone seen the Family Guy episode, "Petergeist"?!?

Pawns, Bishops, Rooks and royalty. But no Knights? Just enter the mansion... it's always night on the inside.

First there was Captain Stank Eye and now this guy looks like he's about to hatch an evil plot of some kind. Too many boat trips past the Indian burial site, maybe?

Upstairs at Columbia Harbour House. The window boxes have fake flowers and real lizards.

Back to Fantasyland for a Ride on Snow White... where every ride could be your last!

Is it just me or does the Huntsman look like Harvey Fierstein?

Guh-bye! Guh-bye! Hope you like rolly-coasters! (I do.)

Let's meet Mickey!

We took photos both together and separate. But for some reason I always get giggly and nervous around costumed characters. So I choose to show only Mark's photo with Mickey and his gal pal. I just looked too goofy.

Are you sure you wanna go home? Ah, okay. This is the first trip ever without a ride on Haunted Mansion and only the second trip ever without a ride on POTC. However, we live just a few short miles away now and can drop by whenever we want. Yay.

Orange approaches!

And just as we leave we finally get some blue skies, here over the Grand Floridian Resort.

See you next time and thanks for reading!

ABOMIBOT
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Personal Site ABOMIBOT.com | Professional Site Playhead.com | Follow My Tweets
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • SummerInFL
    Relax
    • Sep 2005

Re: Sunday in the Park with Mark - A Magic Kingdom Photo-Heavy Trip Report

Beautiful photos, thank you so much for sharing your day.

Oh and Welcome to Florida! Just in time for summer. lol

Comment

• ABOMIBOT
      Lurker No More!
      • Oct 2006

I'd just like to add the entire crew of the Liberty Belle were very friendly and courteous, including those in my photo report. I just caught them with the camera in isolated moments that could be interpreted otherwise and decided to have a bit of fun with the captions.

---------- Post added 06-27-2011 at 11:24 AM ----------

Originally posted by SummerInFL View Post
      Beautiful photos, thank you so much for sharing your day.

Oh and Welcome to Florida! Just in time for summer. lol
      Thanks, Summer! Looking forward to meeting you and all the Orlando crew!!
      ABOMIBOT

Comment

• MickeyMaxx
        Orbital Pluto

MiceChat Moderator
        • Nov 2005

Holy Cow . . . great report! :thumbup:

Can't wait to head east and be there in person again.
        "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
        raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

� Ernest Thompson Seton

Comment

• ttintagel
          MiceChatter
          • Mar 2011

That second steamboat captain looks like Newman!

Comment

• Loïc Potter
            MiceChatter
            • Dec 2010

Beautiful pictures.
            About the Confectionery, with new awnings and teaches added, it really looks like a "candy palace". It's almost finished, just missing the "Confectionery" lights.

Thanks for sharing ^^

Guest Relations & Ticketing Coordinator @ Disneyland Paris
            English is not my mother tongue, I hope you would forgive me for my spelling mistakes.

Comment

• RooBear
              I'm back! Sorta...
              • Jun 2005

I highly recommend meeting that Orlando Crew. They're a great bunch of people. I speak from experience!

But I'm bias.

And you already know how I feel about your photos. I mean, seriously, you consistently make me look good...so you're awesome to begin with!

peace,
              Roo
              husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Comment

• DreamsofColor
                • Jan 2011

Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing!
                "If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney

Comment

• ABOMIBOT
                  Lurker No More!
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by RooBear View Post
                  you consistently make me look good...
                  ^^^ Easy to do. Mwah!

Thanks, Folks!
                  ABOMIBOT

Comment

• ORD84
                    MiceChatter
                    • Jul 2009

Nice Photos, makes me want to go and visit the world again sooner rather than later!!!

Sorry where are my manners today??? Thank you alot!!!
                    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
                    -George S. Patton

Comment

• DubiousEndeavors
                      let's talk Disney, okay!
                      • Apr 2009

Thank you so much for the pictures! Beautiful framing (especially the ram butt )

Also am a big fan of your commentary!
                      The Few, The Proud, The Fans Fan of Light Magic!

Walt Disney World College Program, Spring 2005, Entertainment

Comment

• Villains Fan
                        Always watching...
                        • Jan 2005

Great pictues! Now I'm all excited for my trip coming up in 3 1/2 months )

Comment

• Speedway
                          Former Epcot CM
                          • Jan 2005

Argh. I want your life. Adorable.

Amazing photos.
                          BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
                          October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                          October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                          July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
                          July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
                          February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
                          February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
                          TRIP REPORTS

Comment

• RooBear
                            I'm back! Sorta...
                            • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Speedway View Post
                            Argh. I want your life. Adorable.

Amazing photos.
                            You'll meet him soon enough!
                            Peace,
                            Roo
                            husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Comment

• mikeland
                              World Traveler
                              • May 2005

Amazing TR and photos. You guys are uber cute.

Comment

• Disney Magic
                                • Apr 2006

Great trip report.... as usual! Also congrats on the move to Celebration, I'm so jealous now
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwwdFhJWDK0

Comment

• ABOMIBOT
                                  Lurker No More!
                                  • Oct 2006

Thanks folks! And a special thanks to the Editors of the Round-Up for the Editor's Pick placement! Much appreciated!!
                                  ABOMIBOT

Comment

• TwistedMickey99
                                    Dreams Do Come True!
                                    • Oct 2006

Great Pics......I am in need for a "Disney Fix". It has been way too long (Oct 2010) since my last visit! Who would have thought that I would still have this need after so many visits ( and being a former cast member- Emporium 1999-2000)! Now if I could just convince somebody that I NEED to go! Maybe September!!!!!

Comment

• Double_Duck
                                      Disney and Oregon Fan
                                      • Jan 2010

I honestly don't miss it. It no longer served a purpose.

Being a west coast guy that hasn't been to the MK since '04, I honestly can't tell what's missing in this photo?

Comment

• RonNYC
                                        Wishin' I was at WDW.
                                        • Feb 2005

Wow, what terrific photos! Seriously, they make the park look even more beautiful than it already is.

I especially liked the picture of Mark in the tunnel at Space Mountain, Adventureland's skyline against dark storm clouds, and the WDW RR crossing the water. Hard to pick favorites from such great photos though.

So glad you guys are living your dream. It's wonderful!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X