X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Beast's Castle

Originally posted by Soul_Meets_Body View Post
    that aint snow. thats an unfinished paint job. on the edges of the turrets friend. and snow doesnt cover walls of buildings. weathering refers to faded, disheveled, falling apart, battered by the elements etc. the paint looks like its 40 years old.

and it most certainly is not age treated yet. so it isnt an effect
    According to this concept art (yes I realize that doesn't mean it's final, but it's matching up so far, as the snow goes) it is snow.

Comment

Originally posted by lily23 View Post
      I tried. It seemed impossible to capture what I was seeing on my lame little camera. I didn't bother trying when I was southwest of Dumbo; I knew I couldn't get it. (Now I wish I had tried!) I did get some picutres while in line for Pooh, here is a decent one.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]12594[/ATTACH]

Now, from southwest of Dumbo, there is nothing around to add perspective. It's just sticking up in the sky all alone. It looks small and close. I just reviewed the pictures from earlier in this thread, and you really do need to see it in person to see how small it looks. Again, I thought it looked good from Pooh, but I think that's because of those trees. (I am assuming that those trees are temporary along with the construction wall). Looking at it from Dumbo, King Eric is right, it looks like miniature golf
      Maybe it's just me, but I think the trees give it the added layering of perspective needed to make it look "right". Hopefully, they'll keep the trees pictured, and add some between the castle and Dumbo to create that look from every vantage point.

Comment

Originally posted by mess98 View Post
        @Lily

WOW! That looks better than I thought! Thanks
        My pleasure!

Originally posted by MarkTwain View Post
        Maybe it's just me, but I think the trees give it the added layering of perspective needed to make it look "right". Hopefully, they'll keep the trees pictured, and add some between the castle and Dumbo to create that look from every vantage point.
        It's not just you, the trees make all the difference. I bet they are just temporary though, because they line the construction fence.

Originally posted by Streamliner View Post
        Having not been there in person, the only thing that bothers me from the pictures is that highest tower. It looks too artificial, like it was glued on to the rest of the otherwise nice-looking castle. Of course it's not finished so I'm sure they'll make it look good.
        Yeah, what is that? It doesn't look like the concept art

Comment

I, too, was a bit put off when the castle first appeared. But two things that eased my concerns were 1) when the rock work started to go up indicating the mid-ground layers in the scale "story" and B) when I started thinking about how color is also used to present depth. Forced perspective is one way to fool you into believing a false scale is genuine but color also plays a role. The more distant an object, the more likely it is to be faded by atmospheric haze. The closer an object, the richer and more saturated the color. Take a look at this photo of mountain ranges:

Notice how vibrant the foreground is and how hazy, light and washed out the mountains appear the farther away they are? They've done the same thing with paint at Radiator Springs in DCA. Here's just the tops of Cadillac Range:

Look how washed out and unimpressive they appear. But when you see the whole picture...

The illusion better presents itself. Once they've added more scale elements with a few trees that get smaller (and presumably more washed-out in color) the farther away they are meant to appear the illusion should be much more successful.

So it goes with how the castle has been painted in my opinion... to accommodate for the haze that would naturally affect its appearance if it were truly as far away as it is intended to appear. We're not yet seeing the whole picture and the only image you have to go on other than the in-process build is the concept aerial view. And that is meant to convey mood and direction over accuracy. What we are missing so far are the mid- and foreground elements (rocks, greenery, buildings like Maurice & Belle's cottage and the Be Our Guest and Gaston's Tavern buildings). And those will not only be part of the scale story but also part of the color story. I imagine.
          ABOMIBOT
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Personal Site ABOMIBOT.com | Professional Site Playhead.com | Follow My Tweets
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Again this is a wait and see, but they nailed it with that top tower. And as Lily has said, it depends on the angle.

So I will try to be patient, and wait and see... but I am holding my breath! lol
            Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

Working...
            X