Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Walt Disney World in 2 days..

Me and my family are planning a trip to Orlando, Florida at the end of August and are really hoping to make it to Walt Disney World even for 2 days. We know that this small amount of time at such a big park will be impossibly difficult but we are more than willing to give it a go! I have never been so we have no idea what to expect other than how massive the park truly is. We have decided to spend each of the two days at only 2 of the 4 parks. Ex; Epcot and Animal Kingdom on 1 day, Magic Kingdom and Hollywood studios the next. But my only question is what are the means of transport between individual parks? I know that buses and ferries and the monorail are the main ways of getting between the parks but my question is which of those would we take to get from Ex; Epcot to magic kingdom. Or Hollywood Studios to Animal Kingdom. A list of the many different ways to get from park to park would be wonderful and much appreciated. Thanks a million!

Re: Walt Disney World in 2 days..

I believe there's a FriendShip boat that goes between Epcot and Hollywood Studios. You can also take the Monorail between Epcot and the Magic Kingdom (changing trains at the Transportation and Ticket Center).

Comment

Originally posted by ttintagel View Post
      I believe there's a FriendShip boat that goes between Epcot and Hollywood Studios. You can also take the Monorail between Epcot and the Magic Kingdom (changing trains at the Transportation and Ticket Center).
      Thanks so much! Knowing this will help my family out a ton when traveling between the different parks, Can't thank you enough!

Comment

Inter-park transportation is actually pretty simple for the most part. The best and fastest way in most cases is to just drive (if you'll have a car). This will save you a TON of time. Driving yourself in WDW is almost always faster than relying on resort transportation. The one exception to this is if you're going to the Magic Kingdom. You can't park right at the Magic Kingdom - you have to park at the Transportation & Ticket Center (TTC) and take the monorail or ferry to the MK. So, if you can get a bus directly to the MK (available at all non-monorail Disney resorts), that may be faster than driving to the TTC and getting connecting transportation.

If you won't be able to drive yourself, this guide should be helpful for understanding the basics. A few things I think are worth pointing out:
        • Direct point-to-point bus transportation is pretty much always the fastest way to get anywhere.
        • There is no point-to-point transportation for Epcot or the MK as they rely on the TTC as their transportation hub. If you want to go anywhere from Epcot or MK that isn't a resort, you have to go to the TTC first. If you want to get to the MK or Epcot from Animal Kingdom or the Studios, you'll be taken to the TTC first.
        • Because of the necessity of connecting at the TTC when going to/from the MK or Epcot, it can often be faster to take direct transportation to a resort within walking distance and then walk from that resort. Walking distance resorts are listed below:
          • Magic Kingdom
            • The Contemporary (medium walk)
          • Epcot (enter at the International Gateway in World Showcase - back of the park)
            • The Beach Club (short walk)
            • The Boardwalk (short walk)
            • The Yacht Club (medium walk)
            • Swan & Dolphin (long walk)
          • Studios
            • Swan & Dolphin (medium walk)
            • The Boardwalk (long walk)
            • The Yacht Club (long walk)
            • The Beach Club (really long walk)
        • If you're in Future World in Epcot, the quickest way to get to the MK is probably just take the monorail and connect at the TTC. If you're in World Showcase, the quickest way is to walk to the Beach Club, and catch a bus to the Magic Kingdom. The converse is also true when going from the MK to Epcot - if you want to go to Future World, just take the monorail. If you want to go to World Showcase, it's probably faster to get a bus to The Boardwalk or The Beach Club and just walk to Epcot.
        Hope that helps!!
        I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
        -Walt Disney

sigpic

Comment

what i would recommend touring the parks as so if you only have 2 days:

day 1:
          Wake up bright and early for rope drop at DHS, (SIDE NOTE: an early breakfast before entering the park is key to the success of this plan as there is maybe time for snack break in between rides but might not even be that especially in the morning section. you must be at the park right at rope drop or else you will have a hard time getting things done) and head directly to toy story midway mania then followed by star tours, rockin' roller coaster, and tower of terror in that order, all stand by. That's put you all of the big rides at the park in about 2-3 hours if things go well and there are no hiccups this should take you to about 11. now ride great movie ride which is almost always close to a walk on, but a must see attraction for sure, and Muppet vision 3-D taking you to about noon. After this you have some decisions to make. depending on available times see one of either the indy stunt show, lights motors action, or beauty and the beast (personally I would choose indy) (SIDE NOTE: you may want to move the show in between or before GMR and Muppets as there are only a certain number of show times in a day. Your next move, and last at DHS, is a lunch reservation at either 50's prime time diner or sci fi drive in theater. I left a half hour spare time in case there are any hiccups or extra lines along the way, if not and your done before your reservation take a nice walk and look at some gift shops. If you've had an amazing day and have say an hour before lunch you can also add either the one mans dream exhibit, art of animation, or some character meet and greets, again your choice depending on time.

Leaving from the door of your restaurant to the international gateway of Epcot will take approximately 30 minutes if your a fast walker and your timing is on point with the boats. leave lunch and head to the dock outside of DHS where hopefully you will catch a boat that takes you past the Epcot area hotels and directly to Epcot's international gateway. This gets you into Epcot at about 2:30.

start in future world and go straight for test track, if there is a fp available for a return time before 7, take it. then to mission space, spaceship earth, and living seas with Nemo. when you get to the land pavilion it should be close to 4:30, check out the soarin wait time, it will probably be over an hour stand by with no fast passes but if it is under an hour long wait ride it, if not skip. after this go to living with the land and the journey into imagination with figment. if you chose not to or couldnt ride soarin, and or you have an extra hour somehow, there are two options at this point. 1) use the fps you got at test track and check out innoventions 2) ride universe of energy and take a bit of time to relax and have a snack. Leaving future world hopefully around 6:30, gives you 2 and a half hours to have dinner and enjoy the world showcase before illuminations and park closing. I would recommend Germany for dinner as it is a buffet and it usually takes less time to eat at, this means more time to tour WS or do something in future world you may have missed but there are plenty of great restaurants to take advantage of at Epcot that you could choose depending on availability. take the rest of the time after eating to explore all the countries, ride the rides at both Mexico and Norway, and see the american adventure show and the canada circle vision show if possible as those are the worthwhile attractions of the area. then stake out a spot for illuminations and enjoy the show!

If your still up for it and not to tired at this point, a walk on the boardwalk is a wonderful and arguably the most underrated area of WDW. there are plenty of great street performers out at night and a few carnival games along with a few bars and shops to enjoy, definitely worth a visit.

day 2:
          another early day as your at animal kingdom for rope drop. from here go right to expedition Everest for FP's then head to Kilimanjaro safaris in Africa as the animals will be out most in the morning. while in Africa take a quick look around the Pagani trail, have some breakfast at kusafiri or tamu tamu, and then head back to Asia and ride Everest with your FP's with a quick look at the maharajah trek along the way. it should be about 10:30 now, if the times work out see flights of wonder or Nemo the musical if not move on. if you saw nothing or flights of wonder head to its tough to be a bug and take a look at some of the exhibit trails on your way to dino land, if you saw Nemo head directly to dinoland and skip discovery island. Once in dinoland ride dinosaur and hopefully it will be just before 12 and you will be headed for the exit. the key here is to leave AK by 12 so if you want to check out a gift shop or grab a light snack or maybe even play a game at chester and hesters then do that and head out. I would recommend a leisurely stroll through the Oasis exhibits but up to you.

I'm assuming you have a car so in the interest of time and convenience, drive to the TTC and take the monorail right to the Magic Kingdom. it will be about 12:45 once you get to/through the gates

this park is a lot less precise as there are just so many factors its impossible to predict how the day will go at that point specifically because you will be there with heavy crowds. first things first though you need lunch so head to tony's town square, one of the best quick service restaurants at WDW IMO. then form a plan of attack, if you are able to find out the wait times for tomorrow land and they are short head right at the end of main street if they are long head left. Assuming they are probably long you will be going to Adventureland clockwise around the park if they happen to be short you will go the opposite way. from there you just pick your favorites, find low wait times and do the best you can until park close. skip the parades to save time and make sure you see the new castle show and wishes before you leave. try to leave headline attractions to the end of the day or during parades as that's usually when crowds thin out the most.

I think thats really the best way to go about things in 2 days, its really tough as Disney is really meant for a good 7-10 day stay to do EVERYTHING but i think i covered as much as possible here, thoughts?

Comment

PSUMark and Goofy Donald-
            I cannot thank either of you enough for helping me sort through my questions about transportation and what you suggest for our game plan at WDW! You both clearly know so much about what we need to see and how we need to get there and I truly appreciate it! I will be using all that you both have offered and it will make this trip even better now that we know what to expect and how we should approach it! Only 2 days seems difficult and like such a small amount of time but with all the help you both have given me it will be so much easier to accomplish what we need to! Thanks a million!

Comment

Glad to help BabyMengoMouse! I'd just like to add two things...

First, "this guide" in my original post is supposed to be a link. I realized after posting that that may not be clear. In case you missed it, here it is again: How to use the Walt Disney World Transportation System

Second, regarding goofy donald's schedule... While goofy donald's schedule seems very well and logically thought out, I'm not a fan of giving people schedules because that person's taste/judgement may not be the same as yours, and it can also prevent spontaneity which is a valuable part of any Disney vacation IMHO. In fact, on that note, I'd strongly suggest considering maybe only doing two parks and taking a slightly slower pace (trust me, there's more than enough to see/do to keep you fully occupied for both days). I think you'll have a much more relaxing and fun vacation that way.

However, if you do feel the need to pack everything into two days and would like a schedule to help you do it (for instance, if this is your literally once-in-a-lifetime chance to visit WDW), I'd suggest considering the professionally prepared itineraries at touringplans.com based on statistical analysis rather than fan instinct. If you absolutely want to pack everything you can into two days, that's the way to go. If you're interested, let me know and I can PM you a 20% discount code.

If you still want to use goofy donald's schedule, I'd like to add a few specific cautions:
              • 50's Prime Time Cafe, Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater, Biergarten Restaurant (Germany), and Tony's Town Square are all table service restaurants as opposed to quick service (fast food) restaurants. This means that (a) you probably won't be able to get into them without reservations and may not be able to get reservations even if you try to book right now, (b) they're more expensive than quick service restaurants, and (c) eating there could take up to over an hour as opposed to 20-30 mins. for quick service restaurants. It's worth considering their effect on your schedule and budget. Some people, like myself, consider good table service meals one of the highlights of WDW. Other people couldn't care less and are perfectly content to eat at just quick service locations. YMMV. In any case, you can find descriptions, menus, and make reservations for all table service locations here: Disney World Restaurants | Walt Disney World Resort
              • Tony's Town Square in particular is generally considered to be one of the lowest quality table service options in WDW. It might be the most universally poor reviewed restaurant on property. Fan consensus is that it's not worth the money. I would not eat here. If you're looking for a great table service value with relatively quick service at the MK, I'd go with The Plaza Restaurant. The Plaza generally isn't high on people's radar so you could probably get a reservation for it rather easily too.
              • If you're just interested in quick service, the following are probably the consensus "fan favorite" quick service locations at each park:
                • Magic Kingdom
                • Epcot
                  • anything that isn't Electric Umbrella Restaurant or Liberty Inn is a good choice; you can literally find just about anything you're looking for here so it depends on your tastes
                • Hollywood Studios
                  • Sunset Ranch Market - has a lot of variety but is outside so hot in the summer
                  • Pizza Planet - basic pizza and salad, but kids love it
                  • ABC Commissary - has more adult tastes
                • Animal Kingdom
                  • Flame Tree Barbecue - generally considered the best quick service restaurant at WDW
                  • Pizzafari - the only quick service restaurant with air conditioning in this park
                  • There really are no bad quick service locations in this park
              Last edited by PSUMark; 08-02-2011, 08:18 PM.
              I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
              -Walt Disney

sigpic

Comment

PSUMark-
                Thanks again for the wonderful advice! I agree 100% that a schedule for one person may vary among many others and i think my family will have some sort of game plan for the beginning of the day, leaving the rest to play by ear and see wait times and such. Also we share the same opinion of quick service restraunts! No reservations and much quicker than other restraunts in the park leaving more time for rides and attractions! I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to share all of this information with me! I really really appreciate it!

Comment

oh well i agree PSU you cant have it both ways and you should experience the parks at a slow pace as that is the way they were intended to be, i just wanted to help and make sure they got the big attractions completed and as much done as possible. also I agree about Tony's that was a typo! I meant CASEY's QS, my mistake. Yes sit down restaurants take up more time then quick service and they are harder to get into but the best ones, some of those I picked out, are great ways to immerse yourself in the spirit of Disney and get out of the crowds a bit. The plan i suggested was quite frankly intense, especially in the heat of august, so the A/C and the relaxation would do some good.

Comment

Very good advice! I really appreciate both of your opinions of how to take the parks and with all of the help both of you have given me I am sure my trip to Walt Disney World will be an enjoyable one! Thank you again!

Comment

My only advice is this:

STAY HYDRATED!

August is HOT and HUMID with almost daily rain showers. Be sure to drink lots of water throughout the day.

Comment

Originally posted by aimster View Post
                        My only advice is this:

STAY HYDRATED!

August is HOT and HUMID with almost daily rain showers. Be sure to drink lots of water throughout the day.
                        Great Advice! Definately need to keep a water bottle at hand i'm sure! Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Originally posted by PSUMark View Post
                          Glad to help BabyMengoMouse! I'd just like to add two things...

First, "this guide" in my original post is supposed to be a link. I realized after posting that that may not be clear. In case you missed it, here it is again: How to use the Walt Disney World Transportation System

Second, regarding goofy donald's schedule... While goofy donald's schedule seems very well and logically thought out, I'm not a fan of giving people schedules because that person's taste/judgement may not be the same as yours, and it can also prevent spontaneity which is a valuable part of any Disney vacation IMHO. In fact, on that note, I'd strongly suggest considering maybe only doing two parks and taking a slightly slower pace (trust me, there's more than enough to see/do to keep you fully occupied for both days). I think you'll have a much more relaxing and fun vacation that way.

However, if you do feel the need to pack everything into two days and would like a schedule to help you do it (for instance, if this is your literally once-in-a-lifetime chance to visit WDW), I'd suggest considering the professionally prepared itineraries at touringplans.com based on statistical analysis rather than fan instinct. If you absolutely want to pack everything you can into two days, that's the way to go. If you're interested, let me know and I can PM you a 20% discount code.

If you still want to use goofy donald's schedule, I'd like to add a few specific cautions:

• 50's Prime Time Cafe, Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater, Biergarten Restaurant (Germany), and Tony's Town Square are all table service restaurants as opposed to quick service (fast food) restaurants. This means that (a) you probably won't be able to get into them without reservations and may not be able to get reservations even if you try to book right now, (b) they're more expensive than quick service restaurants, and (c) eating there could take up to over an hour as opposed to 20-30 mins. for quick service restaurants. It's worth considering their effect on your schedule and budget. Some people, like myself, consider good table service meals one of the highlights of WDW. Other people couldn't care less and are perfectly content to eat at just quick service locations. YMMV. In any case, you can find descriptions, menus, and make reservations for all table service locations here: Disney World Restaurants | Walt Disney World Resort
                          • Tony's Town Square in particular is generally considered to be one of the lowest quality table service options in WDW. It might be the most universally poor reviewed restaurant on property. Fan consensus is that it's not worth the money. I would not eat here. If you're looking for a great table service value with relatively quick service at the MK, I'd go with The Plaza Restaurant. The Plaza generally isn't high on people's radar so you could probably get a reservation for it rather easily too.
                          • If you're just interested in quick service, the following are probably the consensus "fan favorite" quick service locations at each park:
                            • Magic Kingdom

• Epcot
                              • anything that isn't Electric Umbrella Restaurant or Liberty Inn is a good choice; you can literally find just about anything you're looking for here so it depends on your tastes

• Hollywood Studios
                              • Sunset Ranch Market - has a lot of variety but is outside so hot in the summer
                              • Pizza Planet - basic pizza and salad, but kids love it
                              • ABC Commissary - has more adult tastes

• Animal Kingdom
                              • Flame Tree Barbecue - generally considered the best quick service restaurant at WDW
                              • Pizzafari - the only quick service restaurant with air conditioning in this park
                              • There really are no bad quick service locations in this park

LOVE Columbia Harbor House! Hummus & slaw sammiches and apple crisp!

The World According to Jack's review tells all:

Columbia Harbour House (The

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X