Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did this actually happen? (Splash Mountain Openning)

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Did this actually happen? (Splash Mountain Openning)

Ernest Goes to Splash Mountain (1/3) - YouTube

You mean you've never seen Ernest Goes to Splash Mountain, for the Disneyland 1989 ride opening?!

If you're talking cheese, well here you go!

Comment

Okay, that was awesome!
      Good morning, son
      In twenty years from now
      Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
      And I can tell you 'bout today
      And how I picked you up and everything changed
      It was pain
      Sunny days and rain
      I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

lol loved it. I really miss the tv specials. I made my parents tape every single special and we would watch them all the time. Especially the christmas!

Comment

Wow that video was awesome....Disney needs to go back to more over the top cheese like this!

I appreciate how innocent and non-cynical/self-referential it is. Disney World and Disneyland always had a decent amount of corny to them, but it was usually done so well it just worked.

Comment

I think there is a vid of the grand opening of Soarin at EPCOT floating around, too. Grand openings are so contrived and self important. Check out the Soarin vid where they had the pilot from the video introduce the rides massive contribution to society. He first calls the ride "Soaring" and then a PR junkie comes over to correct him and then he pronounces it again as "Soarin".

My favorite is the video shown for every Disney Studios (formerly MGM) commercial. They show a really big production in front of the Chinese theater as if that type of celebration takes place every day and you should go there now!

Ahh the joys of marketing and puffery.

Comment

What they didn't show is the fireworks hitting all those hot air balloons, which then crashed to the ground in a giant fireball and mass panic ensuing.

Comment

Doesn't look like something done on an opening day, too much set-up and all, but it was fantastic to watch! Thanks for the video.

I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Comment

Take note Disneyland:

This is how you do a ride's opening ceremony.

This is SO much better than the Glee-inspired Mermaid opening and the Jedi Training Camp Star Tours opening.

Comment

That was definitely from the Christmas Parade in 1992... that's the year Splash Mountain opened at WDW (I remember riding it spring 1993). Ironically I was also at Disneyland the same summer their Splash Mountain opened too (1989).

Comment

I really miss that kind of Disney silliness, too.

Comment

This is the Disney that I love!

Comment

Thr crowd looked "staged" like some of the things that happen at Disneyland when they want to film, they bring in CM and family to be the "crowd".

I sitll loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ice101 View Post
                            Take note Disneyland:

This is how you do a ride's opening ceremony.

This is SO much better than the Glee-inspired Mermaid opening and the Jedi Training Camp Star Tours opening.
                            as everyone has said, this wasn't the grand opening this was something for the christmas taping. They're much more budget happy for those. As for actual ride openings? As for actual ride openings, were the Green Army Man parachuting into Paradise Pier with Buzz Lightyear on the International Space Station not enough for Midway Mania?

Comment

Originally posted by TreoFred View Post
                              Of course, it was just a 1990's flash mob! Just like you see in all of those movies where random people just start singing and dancing, and through extreme happenstance/star alignment/serendipity, they all look well choreographed and dressed alike...

In fact, this was filmed by a single person running very fast from one place to another to get various angles

Happens all the time... Happened to me twice this week: once at Starbucks and once at Jiffy Lube... I'm going to the bank later, I fully expect all hell to break lose

(not mocking you btw, I'd love to have seen one of those moments at Splash Mountain )
                              Starbucks I can kind of see, but Jiffy Lube? You really have a blessed life!!!
                              Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
                              Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

Comment

Originally posted by almandot View Post
                                as everyone has said, this wasn't the grand opening this was something for the christmas taping. They're much more budget happy for those. As for actual ride openings? As for actual ride openings, were the Green Army Man parachuting into Paradise Pier with Buzz Lightyear on the International Space Station not enough for Midway Mania?
                                Those were fine but that's not what I pointed out. All 3 of the openings for this summer were extremely disappointing and underwealming.

Comment

Originally posted by Aladdin View Post
                                  Considering that WDW's Magic Kingdom has added VERY FEW attractions as big as Splash Mt, since opening day, this little celebration is hardly overdone.

(Heck, this was propbably that last major attraction it received! And I thought DL Anaheim had a long spell! )

Call me crazy, but I miss these kind of Disney TV Specials!
                                  How many other things have they opened in Florida though to make it the resort it is today?
                                  I know here at the Anaheim park we'd love to see something done with Tomorrowland other than just the new Star Tours. But I doubt it happens any time soon. A lot of the attention is on DCA right now.
                                  It seems there are so many other Disney parks in Florida other than WDW's Magic Kingdom that maybe Florida's Magic Kingdom is in a place it just has to take a number now.
                                  I thought I heard though that they're redoing Fantasyland.

Comment

Working...
                                  X