Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNACCEPTABLE! Disney's new Monorail operating hours at the Magic Kingdom

Its funny how if you just say things... they will stick to a certain # of people.

It wasn't a 2hr wait for transportation.. KingEric sat around for an hour. It took them 1hr from his account.

By KingEric's own account.. this is the FIRST time in hundreds of visits this happened. Yet people are acting like this is a common occurence... and how could anyone not feel guilty for going to WDW...

You guys infer Disney didn't do anything about the buses... did you even consider the buses do not simply scale unlimited?? The bus terminal is only so big... you can only load/unload so many buses and queue so many people before you hit a PHYSICAL constraint of the bus platforms. So simply because the crowd didn't magically disabate does not mean Disney didn't do something to balance out the lack of monorails.

If anything I think this shows just how weak the addition of the bus terminal was to the MK. The plaza in front of the gates isn't able to effectively move people to the bus side when the ferrys are very backed up... there just isn't enough separated space to manage the crowds effectively.

And for all the doom and gloomers... just imagine what would have happened PRIOR to the MK Bus terminal being available.

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus
      You guys infer Disney didn't do anything about the buses... did you even consider the buses do not simply scale unlimited?? The bus terminal is only so big... you can only load/unload so many buses and queue so many people before you hit a PHYSICAL constraint of the bus platforms. So simply because the crowd didn't magically disabate does not mean Disney didn't do something to balance out the lack of monorails.
      Nobody inferred anything. I asked Eric about the buses and he said that they cleared out as per normal operation. I take that to mean that exactly nothing was done to have the buses assist with the additional crowds waiting for the ferry with the monorail down.

Had the buses and bus loading platforms actually been used to shuttle the people to the TTC, people wouldn't be quite as appalled here as they are. Perhaps they might even be giving Disney props for putting their guests' experience above the extra cost of using & staffing the buses. But we're not doing that, are we?

Beyond that, I can't remember a time when the monorails have gone down that Disney has done anything else besides just telling the guests to use the ferries, creating amazingly long waits at the docks. This has happened & been documented on MC before. What Eric experienced was just the most recent time it's happened. I'd love to have read that Disney cared so much about its guests that it pushed the MK Bus Terminal to its limits trying to take heat off the ferries, but that didn't happen.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
        <snip>
        By KingEric's own account.. this is the FIRST time in hundreds of visits this happened. Yet people are acting like this is a common occurence... <snip>
        I had a BAD monorail experience earlier this year, long story, but suffice it to say it wrecked part of the trip, and narry a "sorry" was offered. I found it very difficult to get into the MK for rope drop on two other recent trips, apparently due to the new restricted hours.

I've been going to Magic Kingdom regularly for fifteen years, and never until these last few months has it struck me how dependent we, as guests, are on those monorails, and how uncomfortable and a little scary it is to feel "trapped" by them. Whether you are waiting and frustrated that you can't get in in the morning, or you are stuck on a train, or it's the end of a long day and you just want to get home, these are all lousy situations to be in. You can't just walk out. You can't just walk in. The ferry takes forever. The lake is beautiful and everything, but it sure does pose logistical problems in ways I hadn't realized until all of a sudden this year there are these problems with monorails. That is my perception of the situation, anyway, and I'm sure a bunch of people will come on here to correct me, and that's fine. This is just how I see things, based on my own experiences the last few months, and that of KingErics (boy am I glad I wasn't there that night): The current transportation system in and out of the MK has become unacceptable recently, which is a shame after being pretty cool and enjoyable for many years.

In my opinion, if they are not going to offer the monorail in its full historical capacity anymore, then they need to provide adequate alternatives on a daily basis, other than the too-inefficient ferry. I hate to lobby for more buses, but the current set-up isn't working, not for me anyway!

Am I entitled? Spoiled? Whiney? You bet, and I pay a lot of MONEY for the privilege, more every year...

Comment

Originally posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
          Nobody inferred anything. I asked Eric about the buses and he said that they cleared out as per normal operation. I take that to mean that exactly nothing was done to have the buses assist with the additional crowds waiting for the ferry with the monorail down.
          So your whole uproar is based on his claim? Kind of thin ground isn't it? It's a statement you can't even make from just observation. You also have no way of seeing an overall view of bus operations at all at the MK terminal.

Are we to believe that for some reason Disney that uses dynamic load handling in their bus system everyday ... for some reason went backwards and didn't use bus rerouting during what someone claimed was a one in a lifetime backup?

Had the buses and bus loading platforms actually been used to shuttle the people to the TTC, people wouldn't be quite as appalled here as they are. Perhaps they might even be giving Disney props for putting their guests' experience above the extra cost of using & staffing the buses. But we're not doing that, are we?
          And what about all those people wanting to go everywhere else on property?? You propose bumping them all so you can fit the TTC people?

You guys are making herculean assumptions in what Disney did or didn't do regarding to adapting... all based on.. nothing.

I'd love to have read that Disney cared so much about its guests that it pushed the MK Bus Terminal to its limits trying to take heat off the ferries, but that didn't happen.
          No, simply you have no idea what happened.

I get it was a bad time for the guests - but that's pretty much all people in this thread know.

Comment

I just looked up the MK bus terminals on the map, they've got like thirty bus load stalls there. That's not "tiny" by any stretch. If you have enough Ground Staff to back-out and marshal the buses (and they don't run out of flashlight batteries...) you can Get 'em in, Load 'em up, and Get 'em out in under 5 minutes each, and you can move a whole lot of people real fast.

If they threw an extra batch of buses at the problem - say fifty extra total between the resorts on the MK Monorail Loop and the main parking lot, IMHO they could easily absorb the capacity lost by the Monorail being down, and clear out the closing crowd inside an hour.

Yes there would be long lines, but they would be Moving long lines, and some GC to explain what's up and "work" the lines with things like trivia questions... Visible progress and proactive information on what's going on should keep the grumbling (and worse...) down.

And as the other parks are already closing down and winding down their days (*especially* Animal Kingdom that pretty much goes home at dusk) they should be able to borrow some buses for the evening. And get extras of the other things they'll need, like Special Assistance buses with wheelchair lifts, etc.

Might have to go fuel them up and check under the hood first, but you had 8 hours advance warning - plenty of time to call in a few people in Transportation to fuel and turn the buses and make them ready for an extra shift.

--<< Bruce >>--
            There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
              Its funny how if you just say things... they will stick to a certain # of people.

It wasn't a 2hr wait for transportation.. KingEric sat around for an hour. It took them 1hr from his account.

By KingEric's own account.. this is the FIRST time in hundreds of visits this happened. Yet people are acting like this is a common occurence...
              Yes this situation is not a common occurence, nor by KingEric's account was it a 2hr wait for the ferry to get back to the TTC, but doesn't that just show how quickly word of mouth can blow to completely out of proportion as well the bad press/advertisement that follows? You would think that Disney seemingly(Isay that word just because we DON'T know what went on behind the scenes) would have made more of an attempt to remedy this situation sooner..
              The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
              -George S. Patton

Comment

I need to clarify for understanding.

I waited 2 HOURS before I even got in line to leave. I just sat back an watched. When I ATTEMPTED to leave via the Poly cruise, that line was over an hour long (that was after waiting an hour already).

So we just sat and waited and talked up a storm (yay for good company).

Once I saw that we could get in line in 1 or 2 ferries, that is when we got in line.
                Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

For the record, for flynnibus and any other concerned party;

My issues do not have to do with the transportation side of things. My issue is and will remain the utter contempt in which the guests were treated, with no communication to the guests and no attempt of any kind to see to their comfort during their long wait for transportation.

That is unacceptable and will never be acceptable, no matter which way you spin it.

Comment

Lack of communication is one of my biggest beefs with the world in general. One of my biggest regrets was on July 17, 2005 when I entered the long line to purchase the Disney Pin that said "I was there, July 17, 2005". I remember while standing in that line for all those hours, no one seemed to know anything. Many times castmembers came by, and we tried to get information and none was provided. Of course, I could have gotten out of the line, at any time. So I guess it was my choice to miss a lot in favor of buying the pin which I did end up getting. It ended up being a decision I regret to this day.

Lack of communication plagues me every day. I take no news, as meaning nothing new to report. However, how many times have you been left hanging by someone else on a matter. You start to feel ignored, and wonder if your concern will ever be addressed.

I don't want to nag, and I don't want to seem impatient. However, a little common courtesy, and commnication goes a long way.

Customer Service isn't what it used to be, and in some cases it's non existent.
                    BarbaraAnn

Comment

Originally posted by lily23 View Post
                      The most insightful, eloquent post I have ever read on Micechat. Nicely done. You oughtta come around here more often!
                      Thank you lily! I will try to. I read a lot of threads and articles but seem to rarely post. I'll try to change that.

Comment

I see a lot of armchair quarterbacks here, that are jumping all over WDW based on one person's claim.

Comment

I had a visit to the Magic Kingdom a year or so ago, and I can absolutely see how transportation in and out could easily become a nightmare. There are only so many routes, and a lot of people. I don't remember the details, but I think I had to take an optional tram, and then another something to get to the gate. Even when things ran smoothly, it was kind of obnoxious. I can only imagine if you were reliant on an overwhelmed system to get back to your hotel.
                          I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Comment

Have you ever experienced an earthquake strong enough to destroy huge concrete freeway interchanges and parking garages? Until you have, please don't insult the people who have by creating some false equivalency between a quake and a simple lightning strike.
                            I've lived through quakes like that, and I didn't really feel insulted by the remark.

---------- Post added 08-24-2011 at 09:24 PM ----------

Originally posted by mikelieman View Post
                            You can't walk from the Magic Kingdom to the Grand Floridian, can you?
                            If you go around the other way, I think you can walk about two miles around on World Drive, Seven Seas Drive and Floridian Way. It would be a hot humid unpleasant dark 40 minute walk at that time, and maybe they have "no pedestrian" signs, I'm not sure. Didn't notice any on Google Maps.
                            Fight On!:sc: Beat the Red Wolves!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
                            The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

Comment

MODERATOR NOTE: We have had to remove several posts veering way off topic from this thread and that broke forum rules, and see that more and more this is turning into arguing over who is right and wrong and personal attacks. Regretfully, this issue seems to only increasingly cause arguments between members and has grown more heated even for several eloquent and helpful posts on both sides of the argument. It seems as if both sides have had their say in this issue, and remaining open may well just invite more flaming.

Thread closed.
                              when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Comment

Working...
                              X