Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Crowds In Late August/Early September?

Hi all, I was originally going to WDW in late May, but for financial reasons the trip is being pushed back to August/September. We're trying to get the trip in the 5 days before my classes at school begin. I know LDW is going to be insane, but I figure it'll be like that most of the summer anyway, so I'm just trying to get a gauge.

Here's a more descriptive timeline for my trip to help you out:

Labor Day falls on September 3rd next year. This means it's likely that my classes will probably begin on the 6th or 7th. If I go from Sunday to Thursday, what am I looking at for attendance?

Or do you think it'd be smarter to go the last week in August in the interest of lower attendance rates? Thanks!

Re: Crowds In Late August/Early September?

Labor Day weekend is usually pretty crowded. But schools in Florida start going back early to mid August. Some schools went back as early as August 8 this year. Most went back around the middle of the month. So late August shouldn't be too bad, but weather wise it'll be hot, humid and we're still in our "rainy season" then, so be prepared for daily storms anytime between 3-6pm.

Comment

Thanks! And yeah I was actually at WDW during Hurricane Charlie back in 2004 so I kind of know what to expect in terms of weather. Humidity doesn't bother me too much either as I'm from Boston and the humidity is unbearable at times here.

Thanks for the response and wow, Floridian schools go back early! Most schools up here in MA didn't go back in session until August 31st at the earliest. If that's the case, we might end up going that week before Labor Day Weekend. Thanks again!

Unhelpful micechatter

Comment

Yeah I've never been that time of year but I hear late August or even LBW isn't all that bad. By late August most families have headed home to get their kids ready for school and labor day crowds haven't yet arrived so you should be good.

Comment

Sounds excellent! Thanks for the help! I also forgot that we're likely to see a bit more of the Fantasyland Expansion if we go in August. I'm hearing that by that time mostly everything besides the Mine Coaster will be open. Woo hoo!
          Last edited by Aladdin6592; 09-28-2011, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aladdin6592 View Post
            Thanks! And yeah I was actually at WDW during Hurricane Charlie back in 2004 so I kind of know what to expect in terms of weather. Humidity doesn't bother me too much either as I'm from Boston and the humidity is unbearable at times here.
            I grew up in Michigan, so I grew up in the humidity as well. The worst is when there is no wind blowing. It makes the humidity pretty much unbearable. Was like that last Friday when I was at Busch Gardens for Howl-O-Scream. It got to the point I couldn't breathe anymore and my friend & I started taking "breaks" in the bathrooms & shops because they have A/C (there are only a couple restaurants at BGT that are indoors).

Hurricane Charley was an abnormality though. Hurricanes usually don't hit central Florida like that. It was crazy because I lived in Tampa at the time (now I'm on the other side of the Bay) and Charley was supposed to be a direct hit for us. I remember going outside and saying, "This is the most boring hurricane ever!" As we all know, Charley made a sudden turn at the last minute, hit further south, then made a beeline up I-4 toward Orlando and made a BIG mess. That being said, August/September *is* the peak of hurricane season.

Comment

Sorry to bump this, but does anyone have an idea of what of the Fantasyland Expansion might be open by late August next year? We've planned our trip for 8/23-8/30 of next year. Thanks in advance!!

Comment

Storybook Circus is opening the first part of 2012, with the rest following late 2012. That's pretty vague, but Disney had given no definite dates set in stone as things can fall behind schedule for various reasons. By saying "early 2012" that gives them between January and April to get things done. Same goes for "late 2012", which would give them August or September through December.

Comment

Sounds good. I assume the Mine Coaster will still be opening in 2013 though?

Comment

Originally posted by aimster View Post
                    Storybook Circus is opening the first part of 2012, with the rest following late 2012. That's pretty vague, but Disney had given no definite dates set in stone as things can fall behind schedule for various reasons. By saying "early 2012" that gives them between January and April to get things done. Same goes for "late 2012", which would give them August or September through December.
                    just to add to this, only the first part of storybook circus (great goofini, the train station, and half of dumbo) will be open early 2012. mid 2012 casey jr water play area and the rest of dumbo will open, then late 2012 BATB area and LMM area will both open. pete's silly circus opens in early 2013 followed by the mine coaster mid-late 2013. no news yet about the princess meet and greet but I'm hoping they will just stay where they are on main street.

Comment

Thanks goofy donald! Hopefully August qualifies as mid-2012!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X