• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLPfan1992
    MiceChatter
    • Jan 2010

[Other] DisneyWorld 40th Anniversary

Why isn't Disney hyping this up like all the other anniversaries! I just watched on youtube a little ceremony, I thought to myself this it for such a big anniversary!

Disney is taking its guests for granted.
  • KingEric
    is in Antarctica
    MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Oct 2007

Re: DisneyWorld 40th Anniversary

I would have to say I do agree. I think the problem is, is that people at WDW are only there for a few years, so you have this revolving door of MBAs launching their careers, and moving upwards in WDC or moving out into better paying companies.

Because of that we are seeing really muddy road maps at WDW, where no one takes ownership of milestones, and events.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

• aimster
      Waiting for my E-Ticket

• May 2005

They haven't done anything to celebrate a big anniversary in a long time. The biggest was probably Epcot's 25th with the re-dedication ceremony, but even that was very minimal, all things considered. And that's just really sad.

Comment

• KingEric
        is in Antarctica
        MiceChat Round-Up Crew
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by aimster View Post
        They haven't done anything to celebrate a big anniversary in a long time. The biggest was probably Epcot's 25th with the re-dedication ceremony, but even that was very minimal, all things considered. And that's just really sad.
        It is super sad. It is depressing. I understand letting Epcot's, DHS, DAKs, anniversaries be small niche fan events, but the 40th for WDW, should have been a blow out event!

The main resorts anniversaries should always big blow outs. 40th they should have had special parades in each park, should have had a special firework ending at MK, should have had a new attraction, and should have had lots of great merchandise and dining options to go with all of it.

But no. Team Disney is full of people looking to just get through the next few quarters until they can find a job with another company or move somewhere else.

There is no ownership left at WDW.

Comment

• 0ranos
          MiceChatter
          • Aug 2011

I'm afraid I side with Jim Hill on this issue: although it's a shame the celebration wasn't bigger, it was a very nicely, tastefully done celebration (all things considered). Not only that, but it bodes that they are thinking of focusing resources for a huge 50th in the style of the Anaheim park.
          "And after a long time or a short time, Ivan and the Wolf came at last to the home of the Firebird..."sigpic

Comment

• aimster
            Waiting for my E-Ticket

• May 2005

Originally posted by KingEric View Post
            Team Disney is full of people looking to just get through the next few quarters until they can find a job with another company or move somewhere else.

TDO is run by a bunch of drunken monkeys. They don't give a flying rat's patooie about the parks. All they want to do is find the cheapest way to do something, quality be damned.

Originally posted by 0ranos View Post
            I'm afraid I side with Jim Hill on this issue: although it's a shame the celebration wasn't bigger, it was a very nicely, tastefully done celebration (all things considered). Not only that, but it bodes that they are thinking of focusing resources for a huge 50th in the style of the Anaheim park.
            I honestly wouldn't hold your breath. WDW hasn't had a major anniversary celebration since the 25th with that horrible Pepto Bismol pink castle cake.

What I wouldn't give for a company like OLC to come in and take control and make them do things RIGHT for a change.

Comment

• DLPfan1992
              MiceChatter
              • Jan 2010

Its a missed opportunity for promotion! What does it say about Disney nowadays that it can't even bother to celebrate Walt Disney World! Shame!!

Comment

• Disneylandfan85
                MiceChatter
                • Oct 2011

Well, maybe we should give WDW the benefit of the doubt. Maybe Jim Hill is right and that they are building up for the 50th.
                My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
                2. Pirates of the Caribbean
                3. Splash Mountain
                4. Mad Tea Party
                5. Peter Pan's Flight
                6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

Comment

• Dapper Dan
                  Metro-Retro Historian
                  • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Disneylandfan85 View Post
                  Well, maybe we should give WDW the benefit of the doubt. Maybe Jim Hill is right and that they are building up for the 50th.
                  And when that doesn't happen will it be because they are probably planning something really big for the 75th?

I think part of the problem is that when every year is a celebration of magical dreams and wishes, when something actually worth celebrating comes around, is it really going to know the difference?

You can't really blame this completely on TDO. Back in the olden days when the company was actually excited about their parks, they would have made some TV special for the occasion, but those days are long gone. Given how heavy handed the three hour commercial they like to call the Christmas Day parade has become, I doubt a special would have been watchable had they made one.

It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.
                  sigpic

Comment

• KingEric
                    is in Antarctica
                    MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Dapper Dan View Post
                    And when that doesn't happen will it be because they are probably planning something really big for the 75th?

I think part of the problem is that when every year is a celebration of magical dreams and wishes, when something actually worth celebrating comes around, is it really going to know the difference?

You can't really blame this completely on TDO. Back in the olden days when the company was actually excited about their parks, they would have made some TV special for the occasion, but those days are long gone. Given how heavy handed the three hour commercial they like to call the Christmas Day parade has become, I doubt a special would have been watchable had they made one.

It still would have been nice.

While I agree that people can get "celebration fatigue" Disney is capable of running regional campaigns.

That is what I would like to see is a celebration like the 35th at DLR and then big ones like th 50th at DLR and 25th at WDW.

I just think it is missed opportunity. I miss the days of new parades, and new entertainment offerings, even when there weren't new attractions.

Comment

• Aladdin6592
                      MiceChatter
                      • Jan 2011

I think they're building up for the 50th. I mean, if the 50th anniversary comes and goes without anything substantial then I'll be upset, but seriously, when's the last time you heard of anyone or anything celebrating a 40th anniversary with anything extravagant? It's always the 10th, 25th, 50th, 100th, etc.

Comment

• Disneylandfan85
                        MiceChatter
                        • Oct 2011

Of course, in order to get to WDW's 50th, we have to first go through Disneyland's 60th (and 65th, for that matter).
                        My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
                        2. Pirates of the Caribbean
                        3. Splash Mountain
                        4. Mad Tea Party
                        5. Peter Pan's Flight
                        6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

Comment

• Virtual Toad
                          Marching along
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by KingEric View Post
                          Team Disney is full of people looking to just get through the next few quarters until they can find a job with another company or move somewhere else.

Wow, I never understood that mentality. They're working for perhaps the greatest entertainment empire in the history of the universe! They should be celebrating and counting their lucky stars, doing all they can to push, create, INNOVATE! You only live once people. Leave your mark!

And some probably don't even realize what they're a part of. That's the saddest part of all.

Comment

• grrandram
                            Banned User
                            • Dec 2005

I was at Disneyland for their 40th and there wasn't much going on. They had that ceremony where they put the time capsule into the ground, but it wasn't like the 50th. They're probably waiting for the 50th anniversary to go all out. What's the big deal?

---------- Post added 11-09-2011 at 05:32 PM ----------

Originally posted by DLPfan1992 View Post
                            Its a missed opportunity for promotion! What does it say about Disney nowadays that it can't even bother to celebrate Walt Disney World! Shame!!
                            Well everyone knows the more important park is Disneyland. The original and the best!

---------- Post added 11-09-2011 at 05:35 PM ----------

I honestly wouldn't hold your breath. WDW hasn't had a major anniversary celebration since the 25th with that horrible Pepto Bismol pink castle cake.
                            See and when they did something for an anniversary, people still complained and didn't like it.

Comment

• danyoung
                              Super Old Guy
                              • Jan 2005

TDO is run by a bunch of drunken monkeys. They don't give a flying rat's patooie about the parks. All they want to do is find the cheapest way to do something, quality be damned.
                              I have my problems with the decisions made by TDO too. But the above comment is just silly hyperbole with no connection to reality. They may not do things the way we supernerdfans want them to, but I'm guessing that they do care about the parks. It's just that they care more about the spreadsheets, about maximizing profits and minimizing expenses. And this short-sighted business plan will most definitely bite them in the near future.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X