This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Why didnt they choose John Carter instead of Avatar

Let me start off by saying i have nothing against AvatarThat being said,It just makes more sense to use John Carter if not an original idea because the movie is disney owned property. The Plot of the movie seemed to revolve around nature and the inhabitants of the planet,but ill have to see the movie to fully know .Well thats it, just a quick thought.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ridesandstuff

Re: Why didnt they choose John Carter instead of Avatar

Because Avatar has proven to be successful and it loosely fits the theme of Animal Kingdom. I doubt JC will gross half, even a fourth of what Avatar made. Money talks.

Comment

Animal Kingdom is convered in plant and animal life. If you read the books you would know that, unlike Avatar, John Carter's Mars is a desolate dying world. Avatar fits perfectly where John Carter is the opposite. Simple choice really.
      Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

Comment

Avatar is a proven popular piece of pop culture. I'd be surprised if John Carter even makes its budget back.

Comment

Originally posted by mess98 View Post
          Avatar is a proven popular piece of pop culture. I'd be surprised if John Carter even makes its budget back.
          Which is interesting since our notions of science fiction (which would include the likes of Avatar) are almost all derived from the John Carter series of stories.

Comment

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
            Which is interesting since our notions of science fiction (which would include the likes of Avatar) are almost all derived from the John Carter series of stories.
            It's too bad as I believe the John Carter books can be a huge franchise. The movie has a very good director (animation wise), but it appears that Disney does not have faith in the movie since they are releasing it in March. They haven't released a decent trailer yet and the movie opens in 5 weeks. The marketing for this movie has been atrocious. Could anyone who hasn't read the books tell you what or where this movie takes place? They really dropped the ball on this one.

It had better earn a lot of money in a short time as the Hunger Games opens a couple weeks later.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Truecoat View Post
              It's too bad as I believe the John Carter books can be a huge franchise. The movie has a very good director (animation wise), but it appears that Disney does not have faith in the movie since they are releasing it in March. They haven't released a decent trailer yet and the movie opens in 5 weeks. The marketing for this movie has been atrocious. Could anyone who hasn't read the books tell you what or where this movie takes place? They really dropped the ball on this one.

It had better earn a lot of money in a short time as the Hunger Games opens a couple weeks later.
              I don't see the Hunger Games doing well either.

Comment

Originally posted by mess98 View Post
                I don't see the Hunger Games doing well either.
                The Hunger Games has a current following. Not to the level of the Twilight series but enough to make a splash on opening day. My niece has been waiting to see this movie for a year.
                sigpic

Comment

Hunger Games will do very well. However John Carter I am hoping does extremely well. I love Andrew Stanton (director) and I want all the Pixar people's works to be amazing.
                  Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

Is this a serious question? Because Avatar is the most successful movie of all time and nobody knows what John Carter is...
                    Last edited by RegionsBeyond; 02-02-2012, 03:00 PM. Reason: Abbreviated obscenity, against forum rules.

Comment

That's the sad part about it. John Carter led to the creation of many different movies, books, ect just based on its Sci Fi alien theming. Without John Carter of Mars series we may not have avatar or even star tours for that matter.
                      Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco21 View Post
                        Animal Kingdom is convered in plant and animal life. If you read the books you would know that, unlike Avatar, John Carter's Mars is a desolate dying world. Avatar fits perfectly where John Carter is the opposite. Simple choice really.
                        That's really the clincher, no matter what Disney's business philosophy is.

I'd love to see some John Carter stuff in Tomorrowland, though. I'd love to see the Monsters, Inc. laugh Floor moved to DHS and a John Carter attraction moved into its current location.

Comment

Originally posted by ttintagel View Post
                          That's really the clincher, no matter what Disney's business philosophy is.

I'd love to see some John Carter stuff in Tomorrowland, though. I'd love to see the Monsters, Inc. laugh Floor moved to DHS and a John Carter attraction moved into its current location.
                          AGREED! Monsters ILF belongs at DHS not MK.
                          Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

Originally posted by KingEric View Post
                            AGREED! Monsters ILF belongs at DHS not MK.
                            the same place where avatar belongs as well imo

Comment

Originally posted by gta View Post
                              ....and nobody knows what John Carter is...
                              This is just so sad to me. But then, I'm an old fart who discovered Edgar Rice Burroughs books back in the 60's. The John Carter of Mars series and the Tarzan books (much cooler than any of the cheesy Johnny Weismuller movies!) were the source of many many fun hours of reading (yes, young-uns - READING!) as a child.

Comment

Originally posted by k_peek_2000 View Post
                                Because Avatar has proven to be successful and it loosely fits the theme of Animal Kingdom. I doubt JC will gross half, even a fourth of what Avatar made. Money talks.
                                I concur.

Comment

Originally posted by Truecoat View Post
                                  They haven't released a decent trailer yet and the movie opens in 5 weeks. The marketing for this movie has been atrocious.
                                  And then there was...

The John Carter commercial on the Super Bowl.

Dialogue that's written and acted barely above a SyFy Channel original.

CG that looks like LucasFilm c. 2005.

Music cues that sound like every other action-adventure score.

Just amazingly bad.
                                  Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 02-05-2012, 06:45 PM.
                                  "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                  designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                  - Michael Eisner

Comment

Wow. Always interesting to see how different people react to the same thing. I thought the trailer looked and sounded great, and I can't wait for the movie.

Comment

Working...
                                    X