Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should there be a 'Matterhorn Bobsleds' in Magic Kingdom?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Should there be a 'Matterhorn Bobsleds' in Magic Kingdom?

One of the biggest things that distinguishes Disneyland Park from Magic Kingdom is that Disneyland has the famous ride, Matterhorn Bobsleds. Being a popular ride, it appeals to everyone. With having the fun of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad but at the same time not being as "intense" as Splash Mountain when it comes to drops. Should this ride be in Disneyworld, along with other once Disneyland-only rides such as Soarin'? or should it stay as being exclusive to Disneyland in Anaheim?

Since the addition of other theme parks, such as Animal Kingdom, to Disneyworld, it has become the world's most visited entertainment resort, it would be no surprise that Matterhorn would be added to Magic Kingdom. It would get Disneyworld even more visits, since Matterhorn appeals to EVERYONE, even young kids, as I've seen a lot when they talk about going to Disneyland. However, I think Matterhorn should stay exclusive to Disneyland, since it makes Disneyland unique.
    Yes, Disneyworld should have a Matterhorn
    15.91%
    No, Disneyworld should not have a Matterhorn
    84.09%
    Last edited by DevTitanwood; 02-01-2012, 01:52 PM. Reason: Fixed my grammar, I still think there's some errors though! Hehe!
    sigpic

Re: Should there be a 'Matterhorn Bobsleds' in Magic Kingdom?

ORDDU: Since Animal Kingdom now has Expedition Everest, there is no need for a Matterhorn attraction at the Magic Kingdom. The two attractions are similar enough to make it redundant to have another such ride at the Magic Kingdom.

Comment

keep Walt's Mountain in DL

Im going with.....definitely NOT! First off, I think having these two parks being different is a good thing. A wonderful thing actually. I'm a WDW man myself (living on the east coast and all) and I would love to head over to the west coast for a completely unique adventure. I had an amazing time in Disneyland Paris enjoying everything that made the park unique. It felt familiar, and yet exotic. It was a great experience and I would hate to loose feelings like that if all the parks worldwide where the same. (I don't think Walt would approve either).

Another point is that WDW already has Everest. These two are too similar in plot. We can only have soo many Yeti infested mountains in one place

Just my two cents.....good post.

Comment

I wouldn't mind having it personally. Or some new version of it perhaps, more up to date with modern technology and all. Though it would probably work better at Epcot. Perhaps around the Germany pavilion. I heard there was once a plan to build a Matterhorn in World Showcase-
        Click image for larger version

Name:	wdw+matterhorn.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	7340129

Would rather have some new unique rides, but the odds of that aren't looking too good. That's the main problem with so-called diversity among parks. Pretty much all of Magic Kingdom's rides have been cloned from, or are themselves clones of superior versions from all the other Disneyland parks around the world. Even the upcoming Dwarf Mine Train isn't going to be unique for long, it's apparently going to be cloned for Shanghai (and knowing WDW's luck, it'll possibly end up being the superior version over there). As far as Magic Kingdom goes, we're probably going to get clones or nothing. Probably more likely the latter, but i'd take clones over nothing. My point is, what IS the Magic Kingdom but clones of other attractions (at least in terms of GOOD rides)?

And yes i know i'm opening myself up to get flamed for even thinking about wanting a clone. I'd much rather have a new attraction anyways.
        Last edited by MerlinTheGoat; 02-03-2012, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Although I think the Matterhorn should only be part of Disneyland. I would not mind a European mountain ride in world showcase.
          Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

Comment

No. I like the fact that it has managed to retain its exclusivity to DL for over 50 years. It's a special ride with a unique history and doesn't need to be cloned. Besides, with WDW guests who are now familiar with Expedition Everest, I can't help but think many of them would just end up being confused and disappointed with the Matterhorn should it ever be built there, because they won't get why this seemingly "new" ride is supposed to be so great if it's so far behind EE in technology and thematic detail.

Comment

Originally posted by MerlinTheGoat:1056700616
              I wouldn't mind having it personally. Or some new version of it perhaps, more up to date with modern technology and all. Though it would probably work better at Epcot. Perhaps around the Germany pavilion. I heard there was once a plan to build a Matterhorn in World Showcase-
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]17343[/ATTACH]

Would rather have some new unique rides, but the odds of that aren't looking too good. That's the main problem with so-called diversity among parks. Pretty much all of Magic Kingdom's rides have been cloned from, or are themselves clones of superior versions from all the other Disneyland parks around the world. Even the upcoming Dwarf Mine Train isn't going to be unique for long, it's apparently going to be cloned for Shanghai (and knowing WDW's luck, it'll possibly end up being the superior version over there). As far as Magic Kingdom goes, we're probably going to get clones or nothing. Probably more likely the latter, but i'd take clones over nothing.

And yes i know i'm opening myself up to get flamed for even thinking about wanting a clone. I'd much rather have a new attraction anyways.
              Well, while I'm certainly am not a fan of clones, you do make a point that is unfortunately pretty true. The big wigs at TDO don't seem to like spending the money actually developing new rides. Sometimes it seems as though we won't get anything new without piggybacking off another parks investment.

Comment

I always thought that the Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland needed an attraction similar to the Matterhorn. Thankfully, the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train ride will be the fulfillment of that wish.

Comment

I love the Matterhorn at DL. It was may favorite ride growing up. Being from Torrance and going to DL with my older cousins and my parents it was an experience. I think it should be left at DL. There is enough of a mountain range at WDW.

Comment

Comment

Funny story Disneyworld's Space Mountain is actually Disney world's Matterhorn. Originally the Matterhorn was supposed to be part of WDW but due to the heavy rain in the area they revived the idea from DL's TL67 project and it eventually became the Space Mountain we all know and love. I could be wrong about a few things but that's the general idea about why WDW doesn't have a Matterhorn. So ill go ahead and vote no on building the Matterhorn in WDW.

Comment

^ Space Matterhorn FTW!

Space Mountain's dual track layout is nearly identical to DL's Matterhorn. It's just indoors with stars.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Comment

I would love to see the Matterhorn at other Disney Parks. But I think too many purists would find the idea offensive.

Sometimes, it's nice to have a ride at just one park, simply for the fun of it. For that reason, I'd favor just having it at DLR.

Comment

I think no. Fantasyland needs a good attraction of the Matterhorns quality though. We shall see if that is the mine coaster or not.
                            These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                            My company had a special night at the park
                            WdW trip report with WWoHP
                            NYE 2011 trip report
                            Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                            Leap year 24 hour report
                            New DCA trip report
                            NYE 2012
                            HKDL trip report

Comment

Originally posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
                              ^ Space Matterhorn FTW!

Space Mountain's dual track layout is nearly identical to DL's Matterhorn. It's just indoors with stars.
                              Eh I could be way off but if I'm not mistaken other then having dual tracks the track layout itself is completely different from the Matterhorn.
                              Reference:
                              Matterhorn
                              http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/2529/trkmater9ch.gif
                              Matterhorn Bobsleds (HD POV) Disneyland California - YouTube

SM:
                              Edit (removed link to a picture here): that picture was a concept of the layout not the actual thing.
                              Tomorrowland WDW – Ultimate History (In Three Parts) - Martin's Videos (part 1 about 46 minutes into the video)
                              Last edited by Twist1234; 02-03-2012, 12:22 PM.

Comment

/\Correct.

Comment

Originally posted by MactheMan View Post
                                  /\Correct.
                                  Thanks for the confirmation.

Comment

The only place I'd welcome a re-creation of the ride is in a Swiss pavilion at Epcot. And even then, only if it had NO character or movie tie-ins whatsoever.
                                    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Comment

Originally posted by SpectroMan View Post
                                      The only place I'd welcome a re-creation of the ride is in a Swiss pavilion at Epcot. And even then, only if it had NO character or movie tie-ins whatsoever.
                                      The Muppet coaster featuring the Swedish chef? I better shut up before anyone at TDO hears this.

Comment

Working...
                                      X