Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

Would you give up Big Thunder and Spash Mountain for Thunder Mesa?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Would you give up Big Thunder and Spash Mountain for Thunder Mesa?

The Thunder Mesa complex was to be a massive structure with a roller-coaster type runaway train attraction and the Western River Expedition E-ticket flume ride. Each of these was built separately as Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Splash Mountain at least on the very base level that it is an E ticket flume ride.

Since we have recently been granted access to more information than ever about what was being planned for the Western River Expedition, I thought this would be an interesting to find out if you would be willing to part with these two VERY popular, yet separate attraction in order to get what was originally planned for this location. This is purely a hypothetical and I'm not suggesting that bulldozing two major E-Tickets just to replace them with two similar E-Tickets is a good business decision.

No doubt Big Thunder Mountain's theming would be almost identical to what exists now. The big difference would obviously be the track layout which would likely be integrated with the Western River Expedition and the two might even share a couple show scenes.

I'm personally torn, while Splash mountain is one of, if not my favorite ride, there is a certain amount of allure to the more thematically appropriate Western River Expedition. I also have a strange obsession with attractions that integrate with other attractions, which probably explains why I love the People mover so much.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts, and that is the most I have ever used the term E-Ticket in a post and hope not to top it any time soon.
    Yes
    40.63%
    No
    59.38%
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.
    sigpic

Re: Would you give up Big Thunder and Spash Mountain for Thunder Mesa?

Heck. Yes.

Splash is a great attraction. It's also out of place in Frontierland, which is supposed to be the western frontier and not the deep south. WRE would likely retain BTMRR in some fashion.

Western River Expedition is a much more natural fit than Splash, and would have been the next progression in the PotC - HM lineage. It's also a much more exciting concept than the "Pirates Lite" that WDW ended up getting in its place.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

sigpic

Comment

^^Agreed! Disneyland and Magic Kingdom share way more attractions than they were originally supposed to. Disneyland and Magic Kingdom should have both offered different experiences in every land. Pirates should have been exclusive to Disneyland splash mountain should have also since it doesn't fit theme. While magic kingdom should have got western river expansion with both getting a big thunder style attraction.
      Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

Comment

Yes!

Comment

Add my vote to the "yes" column!

Comment

No, one or the other but not both but I'm all for WRE finally coming to fruition!

Comment

Ahhh, but the real question is... would you be willing to trade Splash and Pirates for Thunder Mesa?? Because that would have been the more likely turn of events had history worked differently. We only got Pirates because the WRE's funds had been directed toward it. We likely would have gotten a (simplified) form of BTMRR anyway, since it was included in the Thunder Mesa plans.

I honestly don't know the answer to this question.

Comment

The mine coaster portion of WRE would probably be nearly identical to BTMRR anyway, and the sketches of the water ride far surpass (to my taste) what we have in SM, and are a better fit for Frontierland. It would seem like a net gain to me to give up the two separate attractions for WRE.

Comment

ORWEN: I'm glad we got what we got. Western River Expedition would have been nice, too, but since we have what we have, I'm willing to be grateful for them and not complain or wish for anything else.

Comment

I still think WRE themed to the Gold Rush would fit nicely in DCA, but that's wishful thinking for me....though I would gladly trade Pirates for WRE, I don't know if I could live without Splash.
                    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

^personally I don't feel like Splash is TOO out of place in FrontierLand anyways, to me the areas where Splash Mountain, were once Frontiers as well,but isn't it alittle odd placing it right next to Big Thunder? Yes the desert rock clashes with that brownstone you have on Splash...

Still if all of this wasn't there already, I'd trade for it, it's different from DL enough to make it very interesting imo, but now that it's all there no I wouldn't trade for it, clashing or not I like the attraction lineup now, I'd rather them put the money to use elsewhere...
                      The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
                      -George S. Patton

Comment

Originally posted by MarkTwain View Post
                        Ahhh, but the real question is... would you be willing to trade Splash and Pirates for Thunder Mesa?? Because that would have been the more likely turn of events had history worked differently. We only got Pirates because the WRE's funds had been directed toward it. We likely would have gotten a (simplified) form of BTMRR anyway, since it was included in the Thunder Mesa plans.
                        Yes. This.

And my answer is still heck yes to WRE!! PotC and Splash would still be at DLR. WRE would be totally unique to WDW, and the successor to HM... How can you possibly say no to that?!
                        I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
                        -Walt Disney

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
                          I still think WRE themed to the Gold Rush would fit nicely in DCA, but that's wishful thinking for me....though I would gladly trade Pirates for WRE, I don't know if I could live without Splash.
                          Maybe in a couple decades when Cars is no longer a cash cow and they have to revamp the entire land they'll do a gold rush theme. That is if they can make it different enough from regular Frontierland.
                          It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.
                          sigpic

Comment

what new additional information about WRE are you referring too?
                            Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
                            Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                            Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

Preamble: Splash mountain is my favorite attraction:

I think the challenge we should have with Splash Mountain is that NOBODY knows the film on which its story and characters are based.

SHOW OF HANDS: HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE SEEN 'SONG OF THE SOUTH'???

anyone? anyone?

I have a bootleg copy and it's what makes the attraction my favorite.
                              Last edited by vnormth; 02-10-2012, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vnormth View Post

I think the challenge we should have with Splash Mountain is that NOBODY knows the film its story and characters are based.

anyone? anyone?

I've seen it, it's one of my favorite movies. Br'er Bear is one of the funniest characters even created, especially when he is matched up with the ultra-clever Br'er Rabbit... and much to the exasperation of Br'er Fox, LOL. Funniest interactions ever!

"A doll-a a minute!?"

Comment

Wasn't Big Thunder already part of the complex anyway, with post-Thunder attempts taking it into account? At best, it'd only be Splash that would have to go.
                                  M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E
                                  sigpic
                                  Flickr

Comment

I say YES! It's Frontierland to the next level.

(ps: I've seen song of the south and loved it)
                                    DJ JARVICIOUS
                                    Salt Lake City, UT
                                    Electro | Hip-Hop | Top 40 | Funky
                                    www.Facebook.com/DJJarvicious
                                    www.SoundCloud.com/DJJarvicious
                                    Instagram / Twitter: @DJJARVICIOUS

Comment

Originally posted by FigmentJedi View Post
                                      Wasn't Big Thunder already part of the complex anyway, with post-Thunder attempts taking it into account? At best, it'd only be Splash that would have to go.
                                      True splash is the only one that would have to go. And every time i ride splash all i can think about is this should have been WRE it never leaves my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by vnormth View Post

I think the challenge we should have with Splash Mountain is that NOBODY knows the film its story and characters are based.

anyone? anyone?

I have seen the film but do not think it is necessary for one to enjoy the attraction. What is presented has been recontextualized and is completely understandable without seeing the film beforehand.

Originally posted by FigmentJedi View Post
                                        Yes it was. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad exists because Tony Baxter, who was in charge of the mine coaster portion of the Thunder Mesa project, repositioned the coaster as a stand alone attraction

Comment

Working...
                                        X