Announcement

Collapse

The Future of the MiceChat Forums

See more
See less

Would you give up Big Thunder and Spash Mountain for Thunder Mesa?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Would you give up Big Thunder and Spash Mountain for Thunder Mesa?

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I have seen the film but do not think it is necessary for one to enjoy the attraction. What is presented has been recontextualized and is completely understandable without seeing the film beforehand.
    That's one of the main reasons I hate the argument that every addition to the park has to be based on popular characters or a hit movie, or guests won't like it. Probably 90% of the people who ride Splash Mountain don't know it's based on a movie or what the movie is called. And it's still insanely popular.

Comment

i think this is really just a case of the grass looking greener from the other side. splash and pirates are two of wdw's most popular attractions and i prefer that big thunder is totally outdoors as opposed to being partially inside this concept, it wouldn't be as fun for me with indoor elements. i think the end result is the direction they should have gone but if we could only have had both im sure we all would have been fine with that in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by ttintagel View Post
        That's one of the main reasons I hate the argument that every addition to the park has to be based on popular characters or a hit movie, or guests won't like it. Probably 90% of the people who ride Splash Mountain don't know it's based on a movie or what the movie is called. And it's still insanely popular.
        Popular maybe, but not understood as a story. I don't know how many people I've had to explain the briar patch fall to. And does anyone really get from the attraction how Rabbit used the rouse of the Laughing Place on the bear?

I agree that we don't need attractions based on rides and vice versa. But Splash Mountain was, so let's not shy away from the underlying story by burrying the movie.

After all, isn't that the movie where we got "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah"?

Comment

Originally posted by vnormth View Post
          Popular maybe, but not understood as a story. I don't know how many people I've had to explain the briar patch fall to. And does anyone really get from the attraction how Rabbit used the rouse of the Laughing Place on the bear?

I agree that we don't need attractions based on rides and vice versa. But Splash Mountain was, so let's not shy away from the underlying story by burrying the movie.

After all, isn't that the movie where we got "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah"?
          Maybe they're just not paying attention and are more interested in the flume aspect of the attraction?

Comment

Originally posted by vnormth View Post
            Are these people incredibly stupid? I'm not trying to be rude, but seriously. I never had a problem understanding Splash Mountain, even as a little kid, and I just saw Song of the South for the first time less than a year ago. You really don't need to see the movie to understand it. The attraction gives you everything you need.
            I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
            -Walt Disney

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X