Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues

The MiceChat staff is listening to your PM's and the notes provided in the flagged posts. We will provide more information in a post that will be published no later than Sunday night, 6/23/19. The link will be provided here.
See more
See less

Has DCA Surpassed DHS?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Has DCA Surpassed DHS?

Same Attractions:
    • Tower of Terror (DHS) vs. Tower of Terror (DCA)
    • Muppet Vision (DHS) vs. Muppet Vision (DCA)
    • Toy Story Mania (DHS) vs. Toy Story Mania (DCA)
    • Magic of Animation (DHS) vs. Animation (DCA)
    • Disney Junior (DHS) vs. Disney Junior (DCA)
    ​ Similar Attractions
    • Rock n Roller Coaster vs. California Screamin'
    • The Great Movie Ride vs. Monsters Inc.
    • Honey I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set vs. Redwood Creek
    • Voyage of the Little Mermaid vs. The Little Mermaid: AUSA
    • Beauty and the Beast vs. Disney's Aladdin
    • Walt Disney: One Man's Dream vs. Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar
    • Fantasmic! vs. World of Color
    No Equivalent Attraction
    DHS:
    • Star Tours
    • Studio Backlot Tour
    • Indiana Jones
    • Lights, Motors, Action
    • The American Idol Experience
    DCA:
    • Soarin'
    • Grizzly River Run
    • Radiator Springs Racers
    • Goofy's Sky School
    • Its Tough to be a Bug
    • Mater's Junkyard
    • Luigi's Flying Tires
    • Red Car Trolley
    • Turtle Talk
    • The Bakery Tour
    • Ariel's Grotto
    • Mickey's Fun Wheel
    • Flik's Flyers
    • Franci's Ladybug Boogie
    • Heimlich's Chew Chew Train
    • Tuck & Roll's
    • Golden Zephyr
    • Games of the Boardwalk
    • King Triton's Carousel
    • Jumpin' Jellyfish
    • Silly Symphony Swings
    DCA (33) contains almost double the amount of attractions that DHS (17) has. In addition, many of the attractions at DHS are dated while DCA's attractions are new and fresh.

Which park is better in your opinion? Where would you rather spend a day, or more importantly, your money? Which park provides a better bang for your buck and a better experience overall?

Re: Has DCA Surpassed DHS?

I think DCA will definitely be the better park once Cars Land and Buena Vista Street open this summer. DHS has needed major attention for years and I hope it gets it once the Fantasyland expansion at the Magic Kingdom is finished. I have a feeling things will mostly stay the same until Avatar Land at the Animal Kingdom is open though, unfortunately.

Comment

I think it absolutely has, and I would even say it has surpassed Animal Kingdom. On the Blue Sky Disney blog, the blogmaster proclaimed right after the DCA expansion announcement that the park would be the best 2nd gate in the world come 2012, with the exception of DisneySea. Although Epcot can be disputed, I can't help feeling he's right.

Comment

DHS, Yeah that park has fallen so far it's almost hit bottom IMO, it used to be fresh and something new, now it's dusty and for the most part only provides half a day of entertainment(unless you do all of the shows even then I've been done before 4pm and I take my time and enjoy myself)

DHS seriously needs some major love, and quick...I agree with Santana though, I doubt that anything will happen until after Avatarland, which is a shame because it was in my top two of the Florida parks
        The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
        -George S. Patton

Comment

Once DCA is finished this summer, and all things being equal... I would rather pay 80.00 to visit DCA than DHS.
          Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

Would this really be a tough achievement? DHS is not a great park and with each trip we make to WDW I care less about going there. It barely beats out AK in my interest meter. I would be fine just going to MK and Epcot.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkTwain View Post
              I think it absolutely has, and I would even say it has surpassed Animal Kingdom. On the Blue Sky Disney blog, the blogmaster proclaimed right after the DCA expansion announcement that the park would be the best 2nd gate in the world come 2012, with the exception of DisneySea. Although Epcot can be disputed, I can't help feeling he's right.
              It's strange how back in the 90s, WDW was considered the domineer Disney Vacation destination and the flopping of DCA 1.0 helped keep the reputation as a top resort going. I think things started changing around the time of DL's 50th and the attention started shifting towards the west coast as the DCA expansion projects got underway. I don't know much of the original press attention for 1.0 but the 2.0 projects seem to quickly surpass it. As a result WDW has become terribly neglected and the company felt to reliant on families coming back traditionally or because they had DVC membership.

Once DCA is finished, I seriously feel that the focus needs to go back to WDW. The DCA expansions were necessary and should help sustain DLR and restore profit to the parks division that's been lost over the years. Put that money back into fixing up all four parks in WDW in time for the 50th. It would be the best thing to do.

Comment

well lets go through this systematically

When comparing themed lands:

Hollywood blvd vs. Buena Vista Street

as your asking the question has DHS officially been surpassed right now you cant use a land that has not yet been completed in its defense, edge DHS

Streets of America(including commissary lane) vs. Paradise Pier

one is themed to a stationary pier carnival, the other is themed to a working studio area. I give the best theme to the backdrops in the streets of america as it is fun to feel like your walking down a street in New York one minute and San Francisco the next and themeing a land to a carnival is simple and uninspiring. keep in mind this area has the great sci fi dine in, and the Muppet's courtyard which both have great and fun thematic items. what really puts SoA a head above paradise pier is it receives the Osborne lights which is far surpassed anything PP could through at them. edge DHS

Echo Lake vs. Golden State

it really is a tough call here because they are both equally good at theme in certain areas. edge to DCA here though because golden state is cohesive all the way through whereas Echo lake is part old HW, part jungle, part star wars, part back lot, part ABC, its too disjointed.

Sunset blvd vs. Hollywoodland

hands down no question here sunset blvd wins by a landslide. to be fair i should have put SoA vs. HWland and sunset against paradise pier however DHS still would have won on both counts for a variety of reasons.

Animation Courtyard (including mickey avenue) vs. Bugs land

bugs land and DCA win here because AC doesn't really have a theme or a direction for that matter. there's a show for kids right beside a show (technically) for adults, a meet and greet beside a Walt Disney memorial exhibit, way to disjointed to even have to talk about bugs land.

Pixar Place vs. Carsland

two unfinished lands but one is actually open to the public while the other doesn't exist in actuality yet. edge DHS

that leaves the score at 4-2 for DHS by my count and I think that's a fair score. In reality its impossible for DCA to ever win with two lands that dont even exist yet. you can try this thread over in that regard when those two lands open but until that time DHS is still better.

When comparing rides, its all about quality over quantity in my opinion. a park full of cheap carnival attractions does not give bang for said buck.

Same Attractions:
                • Tower of Terror (DHS) vs. Tower of Terror (DCA) - edge to DHS tower of terror (this is the opinion of many)
                • Muppet Vision (DHS) vs. Muppet Vision (DCA) - edge to DHS Muppet Vision courtyard around the premises is much nicer and they have themeing spread around their general area unlike the DCA Muppets.
                • Toy Story Mania (DHS) vs. Toy Story Mania (DCA) - exactly the same but edge to DCA MM because its actually in a midway.
                • Magic of Animation (DHS) vs. Animation (DCA) - edge to DCA, nicer facade, more to do
                • Disney Junior (DHS) vs. Disney Junior (DCA) - tie, same in every way
                final score here 3-3

​ Similar Attractions
                • Rock n Roller Coaster vs. California Screamin' - edge DHS, RRC has better themeing, and that shot right off the get go is super fun, 'nough said
                • The Great Movie Ride vs. Monsters Inc. - edge DHS GMR, although i admit needs work, is a Disney classic and it would take a LOT to surpass it, monsters inc just doesn't cut the mustard although it is a fine attraction.
                • Honey I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set vs. Redwood Creek - edge DCA redwoods are never outdated, an early 90's film franchise however is
                • Voyage of the Little Mermaid vs. The Little Mermaid: AUSA - I guess ill give the edge to DCA because its an attraction and the others an older show but you cant really compare a ride and a show, their two different things
                • Beauty and the Beast vs. Disney's Aladdin - edge DCA Aladdin is newer and longer
                • Walt Disney: One Man's Dream vs. Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar - edge DHS, one man's dream is just an amazing exhibit too cool to beat
                • Fantasmic! vs. World of Color - edge fantasmic and DHS, a 2nd best version of fantasmic (that is receiving an update i might add) beats world of color any day of the week IMO
                final score 5-3, total score so far of 8-6

No Equivalent Attraction - now here we need to look closely at the attractions offered
                DHS:
                • Star Tours - a phenomenal simulator ride through the star wars films
                • Studio Backlot Tour - a lacking tour somewhat on its last legs that does give you some views of neat items
                • Indiana Jones - a great show representing what stunt actors do in the movies
                • Lights, Motors, Action - similar to indiana jones but for driving, great show both are some of the most action packed and exciting in disney
                • The American Idol Experience - an interesting interactive experience that puts you on the stage
                DCA:
                • Soarin' - everyone knows its great dont need to explain it lol
                • Grizzly River Run - kali river rapids but on a slightly larger scale, pretty fun
                • Radiator Springs Racers - doesnt exist yet so....cant be included and no comment
                • Goofy's Sky School - a fun little kiddie coaster with some nice thematic items
                • Its Tough to be a Bug - a great 3D show almost on the scale of Muppets but not quite
                • Mater's Junkyard- again doesn't exist yet.....
                • Luigi's Flying Tires- samesies
                • Red Car Trolley- DNE - does not exist
                • Turtle Talk - an interactive show thats pretty cool to see
                • The Bakery Tour - this is an attraction? lol reaching a bit but ill take it
                • Ariel's Grotto- this is a character restaurant, not an attraction
                • Mickey's Fun Wheel- ok i guess its a 'special' Ferris wheel but that's all it is, a Ferris wheel
                • Flik's Flyers- a little themed swing ride
                • Franci's Ladybug Boogie - a tiny spinner
                • Heimlich's Chew Chew Train - a slow moving train
                • Tuck & Roll's - bumper cars
                • Golden Zephyr - a big swing ride
                • Games of the Boardwalk - boardwalk games, that you have to pay for
                • King Triton's Carousel - a 'sea' carousel
                • Jumpin' Jellyfish - a floaty observation tower
                • Silly Symphony Swings - a.....medium sized swing ride?
                so lets go through the attractions. if we remove the ones that do not yet exist or arent really attractions, we are down to 27 DCA attractions. then lets just for fun remove any attraction that could easily be found in any carnival or local amusement park and weve gotten down to the real number of attractions that give you a bang for your buck, 20 ( and i was generous with the number 20). as for your comment about dated attractions, if im not correct aren't the three newest attractions on your list goofy, star tours, and LMA (two of those being DHS attractions).

You've also forgotten about another key part of a theme park that DHS far surpasses DCA in, dining. the amount and variety of high quality food and table service options destroys DCA bar none.

all of these factors along with others are why I believe that DHS is still better then DCA. this was a rather obvious answer however the real question is will it be better after these two lands open up. all there is to do is speculate however it will entirely hinge on the success or failure of carsland. if it is as good as we hope it will be then yes i believe DHS will be surpassed (slightly) however if it is not then DHS will still be the better park of the two.[/QUOTE]

Comment

DCA surpassed DHS long time ago. Like when it opened. Seriously, theme issues aside, it opened as way more of a complete park then DHS was years after DHS opened.

It took 10 years for DHS to finally get three E ticket attractions. ST, ToT, and finally in 1999 RNRC. DHS opened with Soaring, GRR, and Cali Screamin. Then added TOT.

I Find Screaming a lot more fun then RNRC. After the launch and first set of loops, the RNRC fizzles out badly and just sort of putters arounds Sans one corkscrew. Screaming's launch is just the beginning of the fun. The variety of Maneuvers to include but not limited to, a loop, multiple dives, Helixs, and bunny hopes, Screaming just keeps it exciting from beginning to end.

While it paled in comparison to DL, compare its roaster of opening attractions to Disney-MGM in 1989 and DAK in 1998.

Comment

DCA win because it has swings. My girlfriend points this out every time we go. When we went to WDW, she asked where the swings were. When I told her that WDW doesn't have swings, she asked me how WDW could be so much bigger and not have swings.

Silly Symphony Swings opens at Disney California Adventure | The DIS Unplugged Disney Blog

But that tidbit aside, what DCA does do well is compress all the cool attractions from WDWs parks and puts them next to DL. This is super cool since you can spend more time enjoying attractions than being shuttled around on buses. Think of DCA as DHS + EPCOT without World Showcase. Imagine doing WDW over an extended weekend, rather than a week because all the attractions are so close to one another.

Comment

Let's compare dining in the two parks then:

DHS:

Table Service

The Hollywood Brown Derby

Casual Table ServiceQuick Service
                      ABC Commissary
                      Backlot Express
                      Min & Bill’s Dockside Diner
                      Pizza Planet
                      Studios Catering Co.

Counter/ Limited Service
                      DCA

Table Service
                      Ariel’s Grotto
                      Wine Country Trattoria at the Golden Vine Winery

Lounge & Bars
                      Alfresco Lounge
                      Cove Bar
                      Mendocino Terrace at the Golden Vine Winery

Quick ServiceCounter/ Limited Service
                      Award Wieners
                      Bayside Brews
                      Corndog Castle
                      Fairfax Market
                      Paradise Pier Ice Cream Co
                      Rita’s Baja Blenders
                      Schmoozies
                      Studio Catering Co.
                      Mortimer’s Market
                      Clarabell’s Ice Cream Parlor
                      Trolley Treats
                      Flimore’s Taste-In

Questioned
                      Fiddler Fifer and Practical Cafe

Comment

^ You missed 1901, the new table service restaurant inside the Carthay Circle Theatre

That's the name of the new restaurant according to the Blue Sky Disney blog.
                        - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Kidgenie View Post
                          DCA surpassed DHS long time ago. Like when it opened. Seriously, theme issues aside, it opened as way more of a complete park then DHS was years after DHS opened.

It took 10 years for DHS to finally get three E ticket attractions. ST, ToT, and finally in 1999 RNRC. DHS opened with Soaring, GRR, and Cali Screamin. Then added TOT.

I Find Screaming a lot more fun then RNRC. After the launch and first set of loops, the RNRC fizzles out badly and just sort of putters arounds Sans one corkscrew. Screaming's launch is just the beginning of the fun. The variety of Maneuvers to include but not limited to, a loop, multiple dives, Helixs, and bunny hopes, Screaming just keeps it exciting from beginning to end.

While it paled in comparison to DL, compare its roaster of opening attractions to Disney-MGM in 1989 and DAK in 1998.
                          were talking about right now however, not when DCA opened. my main point from my OP is almost half of the attractions in this "complete" park are not really disney quality attractions. bumper cars? lady bug twirler? those barely pass at the local amusement park. its fine to have a swing ride i guess (even though that's pushing it) but three of them? really? straight up comparing the current DHS roster to the current DCA roster, I would rather be at DHS. maybe that will change with these new openings but until that occurs it hasn't changed. in this particular instance it doesn't matter about the past or the future, it just matters about right now

Comment

Originally posted by goofy donald View Post
                            were talking about right now however, not when DCA opened. my main point from my OP is almost half of the attractions in this "complete" park are not really disney quality attractions. bumper cars? lady bug twirler? those barely pass at the local amusement park. its fine to have a swing ride i guess (even though that's pushing it) but three of them? really? straight up comparing the current DHS roster to the current DCA roster, I would rather be at DHS.
                            As for whether the rides are Disney quality or not, that's more a theme thing. One section of DCA is trying to be like a boardwalk with attractions that fit that theme.

What I do like about DCA is that I can hit a lot of attraction in a short period of time. I can do some AK attractions, some DHS attractions, and some EPCOT attractions without having to jump on a bus. That's DCAs biggest selling point to me.

If you get a chance to go, check out the Aladdin Show. It's amazing. DHS should get something comparable.

Comment

ORDDU: My sisters and I have been saying--for at least the past two years--that DCA is MUCH better than DHS. The only reason we even bother with DHS at all is because of a cute waiter we love to get service from at the Prime Time. If he ever leaves his post, there, we'll have no more incentive to set foot in such a dreary park again...

Comment

were talking about right now however, not when DCA opened. my main point from my OP is almost half of the attractions in this "complete" park are not really disney quality attractions. bumper cars? lady bug twirler? those barely pass at the local amusement park. its fine to have a swing ride i guess (even though that's pushing it) but three of them? really? straight up comparing the current DHS roster to the current DCA roster, I would rather be at DHS. maybe that will change with these new openings but until that occurs it hasn't changed. in this particular instance it doesn't matter about the past or the future, it just matters about right now
                                The expansion will be complete in less than 6 months. It appears the OP wanted to compare DHS and DCA 2.0, taking into account the new attractions and lands opening up.

You also have to look beyond the rides and look at the major entertainment productions at both parks. DCA offers World of Color, Aladdin a Musical Spectacular, Pixar Play Parade, and elecTROnica. The entertainment at DHS is a bit outdated in comparison, with a much shorter and less detailed parade, an outdated Fantasmic and Beauty and the Beast show, and nothing comparable to elecTROnica.
                                - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

Comment

my main point from my OP is almost half of the attractions in this "complete" park are not really disney quality attractions. bumper cars? lady bug twirler? those barely pass at the local amusement park. its fine to have a swing ride i guess (even though that's pushing it) but three of them? really? straight up comparing the current DHS roster to the current DCA roster, I would rather be at DHS. maybe that will change with these new openings but until that occurs it hasn't changed. in this particular instance it doesn't matter about the past or the future, it just matters about right now
                                  Alright, DCA & DHS share 12 similar or exact cloned attractions. Then DHS is left with only Star Tours, Studio Backlot, Indiana Jones, Motors Action, and American Idol. If you compare these rides that are left to the "Disney Quality" rides present at DCA, DCA still results in more Disney rides:

Star Tours – Soarin’
                                  Studio Backlot – Grizzly River Run
                                  Indiana Jones – Radiator Springs Racers
                                  Motors Action – Goofy’s Sky School
                                  American Idol Experience – It’s Tough to be a Bug

And now DCA still has 15 other attractions including Turtle Talk, Luigi's Flying Tires, Silly Symphony Swings, etc. So there really is no right to say that DCA has more rides because they are all carnival style rides because it does an have equal amount "Disney Quality" rides that are present in DHS, plus 15 other rides.

Comment

I'd argue that in terms of attractions and quality that DCA will be the best second gate overall after all of the construction finishes. (Yes better than Disneysea. Disneysea does a better job at themeing, but DCA will beat Disneysea with quality and quantity)

Comment

^hmmm maybe but have you gone? Cause from the looks of it...Disney Seas is still the second best...or best (depending on who you ask)

I love DCA and think its going ot be great after Phase 1 but it still has 3 (yeah the Pier is not done) lands that are good but need MUCH more themeing and new attractions.
                                      Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
                                        ^hmmm maybe but have you gone? Cause from the looks of it...Disney Seas is still the second best...or best (depending on who you ask)

I love DCA and think its going ot be great after Phase 1 but it still has 3 (yeah the Pier is not done) lands that are good but need MUCH more themeing and new attractions.
                                        Yes I have. I spent a great deal of my time in Japan at Disneysea and TDL. The only park worldwide I have yet to visit it HKDL. (I visited all of the parks in 2011 other than HKDL, so I have a good perspective of where the parks are at currently)

I was definitely impressed with the themeing at TDS, but besides that, it was very underwhelming in terms of attractions. I'm not going to hijack the thread and make this a DCA vs TDS argument though.

Regardless, it's no argument whether DCA will be better than DHS after the re-opening of DCA. All DHS has going for it is Tower, Star Tours, Indy, TSMM, Aerosmith, and dining. DCA has all of that sans Star Tours and Indy, (as Aerosmith is on par with Screamin) and more than makes up for it with GRR, Soarin, Cars Land, Mermaid, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                        X