X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recent Aerial View of FL Expansion and MK

Originally posted by ScottG View Post
    Thanks so much for posting these - it gives one a much better perspective of the actual size of the expansion, which is HUGE!
    I haven't seen any evidence of "utilidors" beneath the surface, anyone know if they're under there someplace?
    It's my understanding that the expansion was purposely built off the utilidor so that the area could have more and bigger trees. One of the reasons the old parts Fantasyland lacks a lot of foliage is because the roots have nowhere to go. If I remember correctly, Mickey's Birthdayland/Starland/Toontown Fair/Storybook Circus is off the utilidors too and cast members just use the access near the Enchanted Grove or whatever that lemonade stand over by the teacups is called now.

It's all Fantasyland now anyway so their costumes should be thematically appropriate even if they don't add any new access points. Though I believe there is one in that area behind where Dumbo used to be, over by the Village Haus.

Originally posted by Courtman View Post
    Hehehe, went up in a Cessna 172 for an hour or so. I fly regularly so it isn't a big problem for me. Flew at 2000ft for this pass over Disney (through the TFR) then we climbed a bit higher to be above the TFR for some more passes. These were the best shots I got of the Fantasyland expansion so processed them quite a bit quicker than the others.

Camera gear is a Nikon D7000 with Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8. Hanging my camera gear out of an aeroplane window at 3000ft was a) chilly at 3000ft at 80mph even with warm temps on the ground and b) just a bit scary hanging that much valuable gear out!
    Huh, I thought that was a no-fly zone.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dapper Dan View Post
      Huh, I thought that was a no-fly zone.
      I don't believe it is but it really should be at some times. I was watching illuminations a few weeks ago and there was a plane circling above the world showcase during the performance, it kind of ruined things a bit as it had a big red flashing light on it. anyone know what this is?

Comment

Originally posted by goofy donald View Post
        I don't believe it is but it really should be at some times. I was watching illuminations a few weeks ago and there was a plane circling above the world showcase during the performance, it kind of ruined things a bit as it had a big red flashing light on it. anyone know what this is?
        There is a TFR (Temporary Flight Restriction) in place up to 3000ft which has been in place since Sept 11, 2001. In order to fly through this TFR you have to be in contact and receive clearance from Orlando Approach and generally you can only fly THROUGH the TFR, not loiter around in it. The TFR is centred I believe on Magic Kingdom, and Epcot is on the edge of it - if the aircraft is behind (south of) World Showcase it should be just outside.

On the flight I did I flew up the I4 and shot Sea World and Universal, then through the TFR at 2000ft across Epcot, Studios and Animal Kingdom. We then turned north and overflew Magic Kingdom at 2500ft - all with the approval and monitoring of Orlando Approach controllers. We then climbed to 3100ft and then pottered back over the top at low speed with a few orbits to catch the bits we'd missed earlier.

I don't know what would happen if you flew through or messed around without a clearance - I've never done it!

Comment

ORDDU: I think I'm in love...what a masterful warlock you must be, Courtman, dear. Harry Potter will just have to eat his heart out after seeing what YOU can do while up in the air!

Comment

Umm OK! As well as a pilot, I'm an Air Traffic Controller so have a painfully detailed knowledge of what to - and what not to - do. I enjoy it, good fun. And getting to fly around Disney is something I haven't had a chance to do for some time. Just starting to edit the other pics at the moment, they should go up on Flickr over the next couple of days.

What does ORDDU mean?

Comment

All I can say is these are incredible shots. Now I'm glad it will be a few years before I get back, so the whole thing will be done by then!
              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

There is a TFR (Temporary Flight Restriction) in place up to 3000ft which has been in place since Sept 11, 2001. In order to fly through this TFR you have to be in contact and receive clearance from Orlando Approach and generally you can only fly THROUGH the TFR, not loiter around in it. The TFR is centred I believe on Magic Kingdom, and Epcot is on the edge of it - if the aircraft is behind (south of) World Showcase it should be just outside.

On the flight I did I flew up the I4 and shot Sea World and Universal, then through the TFR at 2000ft across Epcot, Studios and Animal Kingdom. We then turned north and overflew Magic Kingdom at 2500ft - all with the approval and monitoring of Orlando Approach controllers. We then climbed to 3100ft and then pottered back over the top at low speed with a few orbits to catch the bits we'd missed earlier.

I don't know what would happen if you flew through or messed around without a clearance - I've never done it!
                the aircraft i saw actually circled around the north east corner (approximately in the area of mexico, norway, test track) and then proceed around a couple laps of WS before going back to circle the NE corner, don't know if it is outside of the rules to do this, especially with fireworks going off in such close range. I have no problem with a plane during the daytime but at night during illuminations it distracted from the show

Comment

ORDDU: Orddu is my name, Courtman, duckling. I have to distinguish myself whenever I post because I have two sisters--Orwen and Orgoch--who also post under the Witches of Morva handle.

Comment

Hehehe, went up in a Cessna 172 for an hour or so. I fly regularly so it isn't a big problem for me. Flew at 2000ft for this pass over Disney (through the TFR) then we climbed a bit higher to be above the TFR for some more passes. These were the best shots I got of the Fantasyland expansion so processed them quite a bit quicker than the others.

Camera gear is a Nikon D7000 with Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8. Hanging my camera gear out of an aeroplane window at 3000ft was a) chilly at 3000ft at 80mph even with warm temps on the ground and b) just a bit scary hanging that much valuable gear out!
                    This is a dedicated fan. Thanks for the great pics! Thanks also to Flynnibus for the links.

---------- Post added 02-08-2012 at 09:43 AM ----------

Can someone tell me about the area at the bottom of the Goofy coaster in the third pic? Is the pathway to a meet and greet or is that a backstage area? This is the pathway heading toward and ending by the Tomorrowland Speedway.

Also, the area between the circus tents and Mermaid building seems to have some framing being installed for a backstage gate.
                    Last edited by Truecoat; 02-08-2012, 06:46 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Truecoat View Post
                      Can someone tell me about the area at the bottom of the Goofy coaster in the third pic? Is the pathway to a meet and greet or is that a backstage area? This is the pathway heading toward and ending by the Tomorrowland Speedway.

Also, I notice between the circus tents and Mermaid building. They are framing up what appears to be a nice backstage gate area.
                      That pathway simply leads to Tomorrowland running along behind the Speedway, it's been there already but most people don't know it exists.

Comment

Originally posted by Magic Lamp View Post
                        That pathway simply leads to Tomorrowland running along behind the Speedway, it's been there already but most people don't know it exists.
                        Thanks! I went to google maps and got a good look at it. If you take a right after exiting Space Mountain, you could go all the way to the Fantasyland train station.
                        sigpic

Comment

the aircraft i saw actually circled around the north east corner (approximately in the area of mexico, norway, test track) and then proceed around a couple laps of WS before going back to circle the NE corner, don't know if it is outside of the rules to do this, especially with fireworks going off in such close range. I have no problem with a plane during the daytime but at night during illuminations it distracted from the show
                          Hmmm, that sounds like it would be in the restricted area - he could have had permission from Orlando and it is possible he could have been higher than you think. If you could hear him though I think not. He may also have not known about the show - one of the first times I flew in Florida many years ago before the restrictions I was approaching the Seven Seas Lagoon when the MK firework show of the time kicked off! I stayed south and watched it from the Polynesian area. Worth also noting that fireworks rarely go above about 100' and the aircraft would be a minimum of 1500' legally.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidgenie View Post
                            The mine coaster is smaller then I expected. And I expected small. I have been saying from the very beginning that comparisons of any type to BTMRR seemed lofty at best and set unrealistic expectations. I see this may have been more accurate then I would have liked. Considering that within that space, they also have to have train storage, The coaster looks to be only barely larger then Barnstormer. Between Barnstormer and BTMRR indeed, but MUCH MUCH MUCH closer to Barnstormer.
                            It looks as if you could put about three Barnstormers in the area of the new 7DC. From the plans that were posted awhile ago, it seems that train storage will be inside the "hill", under the rest of the ride.
                            WDW-'73,'76,'77,'78,'79,'80,'81,'82,'86,'91,'95,'96,'9 7,'99,'00,'01,'02,'03,'05,'06,'07,
                            Jan'08,Feb'08,Sept'09,'10x3,'11x5,'12x4,'13x4,'14x 2
                            DL-
                            '79,'81,'84,'91,'05,'07,'10,'14

Comment

Some helicopter tour companies offer Reflecitions of Earth flights. You fly to the very edge of the TFR radius and watch the show from the sky.
                              sigpic

Originally posted by Phonedave
                              Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

Comment

ORDDU: There have been times I've considered trading my broomstick in for one of those helicpoters things--only to realize it must be very complicated to control any of those fiendish looking metal contraptions. So I think I'll just stick with the stick.

Comment

Originally posted by WDW Monorail View Post
                                  Some helicopter tour companies offer Reflecitions of Earth flights. You fly to the very edge of the TFR radius and watch the show from the sky.
                                  it was not a chopper it was an air plane but if they do allow that then they should apply more restrictions as it again detracted from a great show.

Comment

it was not a chopper it was an air plane but if they do allow that then they should apply more restrictions as it again detracted from a great show.
                                    It could have been a GA aircraft. Watching the show was probably its main goal.

The company had tried for years to get some kind of restriction in place but it was only granted after September 11th since the resort was deemed a high value target. It wasn't until 2009 that a TFR was put in place that does not expire. It's pretty much a permanent restriction now but only for special security reasons.
                                    sigpic

Originally posted by Phonedave
                                    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

Comment

Working...
                                    X