• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News FASTPASS Return Time Enforcement Begins March 7, 2012

From touringplans.com

FASTPASS Return Time Enforcement Begins March 7, 2012

by R. A. PedersenFASTPASS Return Time Enforcement Begins March 7, 2012

Re: FASTPASS Return Time Enforcement Begins March 7, 2012

Good! It's about time they finally started enforcing this. When you get a Fastpass with a return time of say, between 2:00pm and 2:30pm, that's when you should be back at that attraction to ride. If you can't be back at the attraction by the Fastpass return time, then don't get a Fastpass for that attraction or try again later if you want a later return time. It's not fair to guests who actually follow the rules and use their Fastpasses correctly.

Comment

Sounds good I think the logistical nightmare to this policy is unforeseen though. There are so many what ifs that I can see CMs letting people through still, if a ride breaks down etc. Unless they are going to keep a list of all the breakdowns at the entrance to verify it when someone says the ride was down. I guess we shall see.
      These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
      My company had a special night at the park
      WdW trip report with WWoHP
      NYE 2011 trip report
      Mice Chat 7th anniversary
      Leap year 24 hour report
      New DCA trip report
      NYE 2012
      HKDL trip report

Comment

Unless they give out ones that are marked special when a ride breaks down.

Comment

This will be interesting. Even though it says there are no plans for now, if it goes into effect at Disneyland before the Gumball Rally, that could change the game completely.

While I will miss this perk of "collecting" Fastpasses during the day, I think I'll manage.
          It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

Originally posted by biggsworth View Post
            Sounds good I think the logistical nightmare to this policy is unforeseen though. There are so many what ifs that I can see CMs letting people through still, if a ride breaks down etc. Unless they are going to keep a list of all the breakdowns at the entrance to verify it when someone says the ride was down. I guess we shall see.
            Yeah, I don't foresee a lot of guests (especially parents) taking it well when they fight their way through WDW crowds, get there 16 minutes late, and get turned away. There are going to be some ugly scenes before it's over.

Comment

About time!
              Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 98- Port OrleansMarch 03- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 03- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 05- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 06- AS Sports (Solo Trip)May 24, 06 to Jan 5, 07- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 07- offsite (solo trip)March 1-3, 2007- Dad + Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 07- CP (CS)Aug 10-12, 07- GF/P&PMay 21-Aug 15, 08- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 08- AKLMarch 25-29, 09 (off-site)Aug 10, 09-Jan 2, 10- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (East)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL DreamJan 20-24, 2014: DCL MagicFeb 17/18, 2015 AS Music

Jan 12- Aug 5, 2005- Fantasyland Merchandise
              May 24, 2006 to Jan 5, 2007- Character Attendant
              May 16- Aug 10, 2007- Epcot WS Custodial/Seasonal CA
              May 21- July 5, 2008: Casey's (QSFB); July 6-Aug 15, 2008: character attendant
              Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: Toy Story Mania
              Jan 3-May 14, 2010: Great Movie Ride
              May 16, 2010~ Fulltime

Comment

No objection, but why the 15 minute grace period? Enforce it or don't.

I'd like to see them expand to two hours. For example, at DHS, you're more likely to end up watching a lengthy stage show - it's harder to plan around that. At Epcot, you might grab a Test Track fastness and be at the opposite end of World Showcase when it one's due. That's a bit of a walk to backtrack.
                My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

I like this.

15 minutes is reasonable & I like it. With family & kids I'm sure things are hard to go as planned.

Comment

Personally I like it, I can see the writing on the wall though for problems arising for this...like say when someone tries or doesn't try to abuse the system, like if they get in line for Space Mountain and try to ride the Speedway, if they go past their end time I can see people having a fit because that's not "their fault" that they're late, though I think the 15 minutes is reasonable enough to prevent most of this...
                    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
                    -George S. Patton

Comment

I don't have a big problem with this change. It may affect our family's touring pattern a bit, but since Fastpass was introduced we've had to adopt a more fluid, "think on your feet" approach to touring anyway. So not a big deal for us.

One possible plus side for locals and late arrivals: this will prevent Fastpass holders from showing up en masse at the end of the day. This currently happens all the time at Midway Mania and makes the standby line unbearable in the last hour or so before closing... the exact time when attractions *should* have shorter lines.

I'd tweak the Fastpass thing one step further by cutting off *all* Fastpass return times two hours before park closing. If a park closes at 9pm, the last Fastpasses distributed for the day should have return times from 6-7pm.

Make the last two hours "standby only" to give locals and late arrivals a shot at a more pleasant experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual Toad View Post
                        I'd tweak the Fastpass thing one step further by cutting off *all* Fastpass return times two hours before park closing. If a park closes at 9pm, the last Fastpasses distributed for the day should have return times from 6-7pm.

Make the last two hours "standby only" to give locals and late arrivals a shot at a more pleasant experience.
                        In all the years I've seen FP discussed on boards, I've never seen this yet. I think it's a really smart idea.
                        Kevin Yee
                        MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
                        Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
                        Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
                        Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
                        Mouse Trap
                        Tokyo Disney Made Easy
                        101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
                        Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Comment

With XPass coming, this makes sense. I wonder how the system will be tweaked when they enforce the windows, and it might make more Fastpasses available. There is a serious issue of night queues being long, because everyone comes in at night to use up their Fastpassses. I know that Disneyland's system lets out fewer passes for later times to account for this extra influx of people. The system is flexible, and I don't think that time enforcement is a bad thing, but there is a can of worms - and Disney has the ability to now lose money based on time.

Let's say you're dining at Chefs de France, and you're an 1/2 hour away from your Soarin' FP time. Do you skip dessert to head over and ensure you're in the queue in time? How much money does Disney lose here? It should be interesting to see what this enforcement does to the mindset of the guest.
                          -Monorail Man

Comment

If Disney is looking to improve the FastPass experience then number one on my list would be the ability to pickup a fastass for any attraction at any fastpass station. I hate having to ping-pong back and forth across the park to make good use of the system.
                            "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

Comment

Even though I like "working the system", this really is something that they should have been doing from the beginning.

I would like to see one exception however:

If you have a Dining Reservation (that you likely made weeks/months in advance) you should be able to get a "stamp" or something on your FP if your reservation happens to coincide with your FP return time. Or at the very least, show your receipt from your meal that shows what time you were eating or something.

Comment

Originally posted by ttintagel View Post
                                Yeah, I don't foresee a lot of guests (especially parents) taking it well when they fight their way through WDW crowds, get there 16 minutes late, and get turned away. There are going to be some ugly scenes before it's over.
                                No, you're not 16mins late, you're 76mins late. It's an hour window to start with. If you plan to return when your return window starts.. you have an hour built in already of slack. So it's like people who pay their bills when they are due.. or pay their bills when they know the grace window is.

I know the return time is 'between..' but if you don't want to be worried about being late, Disney already has given you a wide window.

Originally posted by Monorail Man View Post
                                Let's say you're dining at Chefs de France, and you're an 1/2 hour away from your Soarin' FP time. Do you skip dessert to head over and ensure you're in the queue in time? How much money does Disney lose here? It should be interesting to see what this enforcement does to the mindset of the guest.
                                If you planned based on your FP return time.. you still have an hour and a half.

If this is true.. this is good news. However I find the 15min window a bit tight. I would have expected at least an hour.

---------- Post added 02-07-2012 at 10:29 AM ----------

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                                If you have a Dining Reservation (that you likely made weeks/months in advance) you should be able to get a "stamp" or something on your FP if your reservation happens to coincide with your FP return time. Or at the very least, show your receipt from your meal that shows what time you were eating or something.
                                But you already knew what the return time was before you got the pass... you would know it conflicted with your ADR when you got it.

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                                  But you already knew what the return time was before you got the pass... you would know it conflicted with your ADR when you got it.
                                  Yeah, but let's say you have a reservation at La Cellier for lunch ... say 1:00pm. You get to EPCOT, go to get a Test Track FP and the time is between 1:00 and 2:00. Are you just supposed to wait around to get a FP for 3:00 to 4:00 now?

The actual amount of people this may happen to is probably negligible. If they did away with ADR's and just had walk-in's, then this wouldn't be an issue.

Comment

Yeah, but let's say you have a reservation at La Cellier for lunch ... say 1:00pm. You get to EPCOT, go to get a Test Track FP and the time is between 1:00 and 2:00. Are you just supposed to wait around to get a FP for 3:00 to 4:00 now?
                                    No, you'll just have to pass on picking one up (or chose to risk it).. same way as when you walk up to a line and it's longer then you are willing to wait or if you need to be somewhere, etc.

If they did away with ADR's and just had walk-in's, then this wouldn't be an issue.
                                    Or just leave more capacity for walk-ins. That's what I beg for. Make ADRs only 50% of capacity or something..

Comment

All ive gotta say is I would HATE to be the CM working a fast pass line at a major attraction for the next few months after this comes into effect, just over the period of time where people might not have heard the news. If you thought that working the front desk of a WDW restaurant was bad with all those people screaming at them and such just imagine what it will be like for the FP CM's.

Comment

What I find more interesting is... how will disney communicate this to minimize the impact?

It will take years for this change in policy to really propagate through all guests.

So Disney puts up a sign saying 'you must return in your FP window' - and the gamers will say 'yeah, but they always said that' and then they will get turned away. Those that knew they were in a 'grace' window anyways will accept it. Those that believe they are owed the world will fight that the old grace rules should be carried forever.

But the scenario plays out where the guest that was turned away might think that's just one CM.. and will likely try it more times.. and get turned away even more before they accept 'this is real now'.

So even if Disney plasters their rules up everywhere.. people are going to think its the same old policies until they learn the hard way.

So it will be interesting to see if Disney tries to advertise this and get the point across 'no, we really mean it now' without explictly calling out what the old grace policy was.

Possibly saying 'Return Times are now strictly enforced'. But where to say that? Maybe signs in the FP distribution areas? You don't want to put signs out near the turnstyles, etc.. because this is something you will have to keep up for a year or two at least until the word popogates fully to guests.. and even then you will have ages where people will still think the old policy applies. So in a way, Disney needs to get the word out to all customers when they start their trip, and convince them they mean it.

I think new signs in the FP area is probably the best compromise. Having reservation agents, etc say something can backfire in that you bring attention to what the old policy was... though they might come up with a script in how to broach the topic gently.

Comment

Working...
                                        X