This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Sat Night Live mocks fat Disney World guests

On the most recent SNL, Bill Hader (while imitating Clint Eastwood)
    ridiculed out-of-shape American riding carts around Disney World.

Of course, many people are in carts for reasons beyond their control. I'm just passing along
    a perception that did get a laugh from the studio audience.

I do dislike the "We're on vacation so it's OK to temporarily damage our bodies" mentality. And I'm glad that Disney is moving in the right direction by offering kids more options and providing milk or water instead of soda, and fruit instead of fries in the kids' meals. Thomas Staggs might not know much about movies or great rides, but if he promotes what he practices, the parks should at least get healthier food when he takes over.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 02-14-2012, 07:40 AM.

Re: San Night Live mocks fat Disney World guests

Hate me for these words... but this is the way it is.

As a person from Europe I am always amazed to see alot of people in different kinds of vehicles in WDW because of their weight.

I saw many persons in wheelchairs... alot more than I have ever seen on one day in any other place that I have ever been. ...and I have been all over. People woul ride wheelchairs only to get up walk when ever it suited them.

In Europe and Asia you wont see that many using wheelchairs because they are fat.

It is not surprising that SNL makes fun of overwieght themepark guests in USA. They could never say anything about Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySEA. Those parks looks like a runway.

I wish WDW and all Disneyparks could be known for having more healthy foods.
    Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 02-14-2012, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
      Hate me for these words... but this is the way it is.

As a person from Europe I am always amazed to see alot of people in different kinds of vehicles in WDW because of their weight.

I saw many persons in wheelchairs... alot more than I have ever seen on one day in any other place that I have ever been. ...and I have been all over. People woul ride wheelchairs only to get up walk when ever it suited them.

In Europe and Asia you wont see that many using wheelchairs because they are fat.

I wish WDW and all Disneyparks could be known for having more healthy foods.
      Did it ever occur to you that maybe some of those people were overweight because of the medical conditions they have, instead of the other way around? Many medications cause weight gain, and it's difficult for people with impaired mobility to get enough exercise.

The reason you see more people out and about in wheelchairs in the US is because we, as a people, have demanded that barriers for people with impaired mobility be lifted.

As far as people only using the chairs some of the time, for a person with a medical condition, it can be vastly different to walk across a room than it is to walk across the Magic Kingdom.

When I was in England, many tourist sites had signs forbidding strollers and wheelchairs. I assumed that was the reason I saw no strollers and wheelchairs there.

Comment

Re: Sat Night Live mocks fat Disney World guests

An extensive system of bike paths and covered bike parking lots around Walt Disney World would be great. Yeah, that might happen.

--Tom Sinsky

---------- Post added 02-14-2012 at 08:45 AM ----------

Originally posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
        Hate me for these words... but. . .
        We don't hate you for those words,
        we hate you because you're beautiful.
        (Old American shampoo commercial reference that probably didn't make it to Sweden.)
        Last edited by jcruise86; 02-14-2012, 11:29 AM.

Comment

The percentage of people who are out of shape due to medical conditions is VERY small. The fact is, we as American's are eating ourselves to death. Processed food, leading a static lifestyle ... that's what causing the issues.

Even those that do have a medical condition, many of them are caused by our unhealthy lifestyles.

Obesity In Children And Teens | American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry

Although certain medical disorders can cause obesity, less than 1 percent of all obesity is caused by physical problems.
          I realize this study is aimed towards children, and that percentage is likely related to children, but it's interesting reading indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by ttintagel View Post
            Did it ever occur to you that maybe some of those people were overweight because of the medical conditions they have, instead of the other way around? Many medications cause weight gain, and it's difficult for people with impaired mobility to get enough exercise.. . .
            Our friend from Sweden probably used his impressive language skills and actually read the second sentence of this thread where I wrote, "Of course, many people are in carts for reasons beyond their control." Maybe he thought that covered the point you made.

Comment

Many foreigners hate the idea of being dependent on a machine to get around, and most will refuse to use anything but the assistance of a cane until it is no longer physically impossible for them to walk (my grandma from Nicaragua and my grandma from Germany exemplify this, as do the elders in my exchange family that lives in Tokyo). Americans are encouraged to buy things like HoverRound and usually get these things from their insurance companies for free.

There's a reason why we're the fattest nation in the world, and it's not because we have medical conditions that other countries don't experience. It's because we eat ourselves into medical conditions (diabetes, heart disease, etc.) that other countries don't commonly experience.

Photo Via jdhilger

Comment

Originally posted by ttintagel View Post
                Did it ever occur to you that maybe some of those people were overweight because of the medical conditions they have, instead of the other way around? Many medications cause weight gain, and it's difficult for people with impaired mobility to get enough exercise.

The reason you see more people out and about in wheelchairs in the US is because we, as a people, have demanded that barriers for people with impaired mobility be lifted.

As far as people only using the chairs some of the time, for a person with a medical condition, it can be vastly different to walk across a room than it is to walk across the Magic Kingdom.

When I was in England, many tourist sites had signs forbidding strollers and wheelchairs. I assumed that was the reason I saw no strollers and wheelchairs there.
                We can debate this for days... fact remains: America is overweight and a visit to WDW shows it.

---------- Post added 02-14-2012 at 06:13 PM ----------

Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post
                An extensive system of bike paths and covered bike parking lots around Walt Disney World would be great. Yeah, that could happen.

---------- Post added 02-14-2012 at 08:45 AM ----------

We don't hate you for those words,
                we hate you because you're beautiful.
                (Old American shampoo commercial reference that probably didn't make it to Sweden.)
                Look at me... do I look like guy that knows anything about shampo?

---------- Post added 02-14-2012 at 06:15 PM ----------

Originally posted by napeterson18 View Post
                we're the fattest nation in the world, and it's not because we have medical conditions that other countries don't experience. It's because we eat ourselves into medical conditions (diabetes, heart disease, etc.) that other countries don't commonly experience.
                The rest of the world knows it and sees it.
                But hey... I love to go to USA and be American for a few weeks now and then.

---------- Post added 02-14-2012 at 06:20 PM ----------

Our friend from Sweden probably used his impressive language skills and actually read the second sentence of this thread where I wrote, "Of course, many people are in carts for reasons beyond their control." Maybe he thought that covered the point you made.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	bacon.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	7340239
                Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 02-14-2012, 08:33 AM.

Comment

American's aren't helpless.

I'll be the first to admit that I was falling into that trap. For a LOT of years I would eat fast food almost daily and wouldn't exercise or anything.

Then I snapped out of it, started eating better and running. I've never felt better than I do right now.

Now, I will still "treat" myself with some fast food once in awhile, but never more than once or twice a month. We use ground turkey instead of ground beef (most of the time) and it's been better all around.

And it's NOT hard.

Comment

And then there is this which suggests the infrastructure differences which contribute to those in European countries walking and cycling far more than Americans. The article linked below posits that may be one factor in our differing obesity rates. The mindset of our city and regional planners is evolving. We have four rail services which service our small city, three of which are very affordable. Fifteen years ago, we had just one, the pricy Amtrak trains.

Walking and bicycling are far more common in Europe than in North America and Australia. Theuse of public transit, which normally requiress walking or cycling to reach the transit stop, is also more comon in Europe.

1. Compact, dense cities with mixed land uses that generate short trips.
                    2. Restrictions on car use such as car-free zones, low speed limits, and prohibitions of through traffic.
                    3. Extensive, safe, and convenient facilities for walking and cycling.
                    4. Traffic calming of residential neighborhoods.
                    5. Coordination of public transit with walking and cycling to transit stops, includin bike parking, as well as safe sidewalks and bikeways.
                    6. Traffic regulations and enforcement policies tha favor pedestrians and cyclists over motorists.
                    7. High cost of owning and operating a car resulting from expensive driver licensing, high gasoloinee prices, and high taxes on car purchases.
                    http://policy.rutgers.edu/faculty/pucher/jpah08.pdf
                    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
                    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

� Ernest Thompson Seton

Comment

Also, Disney World isn't to blame for this overweight problem--yeah, they offer milk and fruit and that's great but it's not like the tourists are coming in thin and leaving in wheel chairs becuase of how unhealthy the food is. It's a problem all around America, you just happen to see it more at Disney because there's a high volume of all kinds of Americans in one concentrated place.

And yeah, it's sad, but America is fat and it's usually not becuase of medical problems--just look around, advertising is to blame.

Comment

Originally posted by TylerDurden View Post
                        And yeah, it's sad, but America is fat and it's usually not becuase of medical problems--just look around, advertising is to blame.
                        All kinds of Americans are exposed to the same advertising. The Americans who get fat are the ones who:
                        (a) are in the very small minority who do legitimately have medical problems that keep them overweight
                        (b) eat an unhealthy amount of calories and/or get less than a healthy amount of exercise

Let's not blame advertising. Advertising may play a role in how you think about food/exercise, but TV ads aren't shoving burgers in your mouth and chaining you to the couch.
                        I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
                        -Walt Disney

sigpic

Comment

America's problems in the area are many, including a refusal to take responsibility.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottG View Post
                            America's problems in the area are many, including a refusal to take responsibility.
                            Here here.

Personally ECVs are one of my biggest issues with going to Disney Parks. You see more ECVs at Disney than at SeaWorld or Universal.

For me personally if you need assistance with your mobility, then I am glad there are devices for that, just remember to be courteous and patient when people aren't walking as fast as you are scooting (and NEVER use the horn).

That being said... The SNL commercial was hilarious.
                            Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

Originally posted by KingEric View Post
                              Personally ECVs are one of my biggest issues with going to Disney Parks. You see more ECVs at Disney than at SeaWorld or Universal.
                              Or Busch Gardens. I see maybe 10 or less on a typical day there (and I visit Busch Gardens usually at least twice a month).

Comment

Originally posted by PSUMark View Post
                                All kinds of Americans are exposed to the same advertising. The Americans who get fat are the ones who:
                                (a) are in the very small minority who do legitimately have medical problems that keep them overweight
                                (b) eat an unhealthy amount of calories and/or get less than a healthy amount of exercise

Let's not blame advertising. Advertising may play a role in how you think about food/exercise, but TV ads aren't shoving burgers in your mouth and chaining you to the couch.
                                And there you have it

On a side note, I'm Tyler Durden, I can rule every problem down to advertising haha

Comment

I do dislike the "We're on vacation so it's OK to temporarily damage our bodies" mentality. .
                                  I actually think this mentality is fine-- the problem is people misuse it. Remember, it's not just what you have, but how often you have it and how much you partake of it.

Once upon a time, just a trip to even Mcd's was special and I don't mean "once a week special." (People had birthday parties there.) The same with Disneyland or Disney World, other amusement parks and fairs: Many of the foods included junk, but it was a treat (aka somethng they did not have on a regular basis)

For instance, you might eat a burger and fries for dinner and finish with a hot churro. It's a lot of calories and fat, but it is not completely harmful because your meals on other ordinary days were much more sensible.

Like you said, people believe: "I am at Disneyland/Disney World, so its fine to eat whatever I want..just for today because it's a special day."

The problem: for many, this unhealthy eating is not special --it extends beyond the park gates. The next day, they will have Burger King for lunch and Taco Bell for dinner. The day/trip may be a one-time event, but the yummy junk eaten is not.

Treats for many Americans IMHO have become an oxymoron--they are a typical, if not daily occurence.
                                  Last edited by Jesser-pie; 02-14-2012, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Haha Jesser-Pie you just made me think back to my child hood. I enjoyed the heck out of McDonald's and went there occasionally... maybe a few times a month. I was a little kid who didn't have video games or that much television to watch until I was older. I rode my bike, I walked to school, we still had recess. (I also on a road trip got car sickness but I blamed it on McDonald's and sworn off of it for years)

My point being... I never really thought about it. My parents. They never ate the food! They bought it for me and my brother. I just... never realized that until now. I mean, they did it when on car trips but when it was a local thing, they didn't touch it.

Think how many Americans eat the fast food with their kids nowadays. Way more often than when I did that's for sure. Fast food ain't special anymore. Heck, Sizzler or Bob's Big Boy isn't special anymore. Americans just eat WAAAAY more than they should be, pure and simple.

---------- Post added 02-15-2012 at 01:38 AM ----------

I forgot to tie this into the parks.

Disneyland and Walt Disney World is a pretty good sampling of what REAL AMERICA is. Living in California, we get a fair share of health nuts. We're a state where a car is required for everything. We drive somewhere, we drive home. We go to the beach, we go to the mall.

The majority of the country though, will not be found at the beach, will not be found at malls. But Disneyland, Walt Disney World is a happy environment for everyone so they go to that. Everyone goes. That is why you see more of this at the Disney parks than anywhere else. It's not Disney's fault. What you find there is a good sampling of what our country looks like.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                                    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

My aunt is overweight(her knees are bad so she uses an ECV to get around Disney bc walking so long brings her ALOT of pain), I started falling down that trap, and then I looked at myself disgusted even IF it was because I was laid up for 6 months with a bad knee(see the looks you get at 21 years old walking around with a cane or crutches when you eventually get to get out of the house)

But it's our mentality as Americans that's making us fat, hopefully with education people are starting to make the necessary adjustments, but still the fact that anyone can get/rent an ECV without more than saying I need one may be part of the problem. Also guys those ECVs are designed for primarily HOME use, which is why the person with the ECV have to cover them if they are damaged, Insurance won't cover repairs(we had engineers from go-go scooter talking to us last week.)

I would like to see America change, but it's going to happen very slowly...also a picture that highlights part of the problem(and is mildly humourous IMO)
                                      The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
                                      -George S. Patton

Comment

My wife is originally from China as well as many of our friends. She, and her friends often have a hard time finding clothes to fit her in the US because the sizes are so big. She's always complains about the fat Americans and the large clothes.
                                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                        X